Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
TheWaltzer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:05 am 

BastardHead wrote:
Fun fact: Now that the first review was removed by the original author, all four current reviews were written by scribes. So if there's any album full of reviews you can trust, it's quantitatively this one!

I wonder, would it be worth it if a viewer were to know that the reviewer is also a scribe? Of course that doesn't rule out controversial ratings or anything, but still, if I were new to the site, maybe it could help. (Also, I have no idea how many reviewers are actually scribes, so I may be completely wrong here imagining them as a select few.)
"Of Terror and the Supernatural by Temple of Void is miles ahead of It's midnight in Neverland and I can't get my dick out of this unicorn; Volume 8 by Nightwish in both the amount of heaviness and lack of keyboards."

meshigene
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:04 pm 

Tony Denis, in his new Conformicide review wrote:
I have to admit, gushing over this album made me sound like a complete idiot.

Hello, LeMiserable.

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:12 pm 

Yeah, going from 100% to 20% in a few days sure makes his viewpoints credible.

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018
Live young, die free. Gone, but not forgotten.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:38 pm 

Holy crap I haven't seen such a ridiculous turnaround in such a short time since Kruel was around and flipped from thinking Windir's Arntor was a gorgeous epic to thinking it was nothing but sugary bullshit in the span of a few hours. The difference was that Kruel was trying to stand out and be contrarian, this guy is, in the greatest show of irony I can remember, trying to fit in. I'm almost speechless.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:46 pm 

That's really crazy, his new review. I don't know what to say about that, even - either he's expertly trolling or really just has no spine at all and for some reason lets opinions on a metal review site sway him.

TrooperEd
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:15 pm 

TFW you turn a review into the queue but seconds afterwards you think of the perfect couple of sentences to add to it.
I didn't know children book fans were so angry.

kluseba
Making Metal Archives Reviews Great Again!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:40 pm 

Congratulations, Empyreal, I don't only agree with your point of view on Havok's record but it's very well written and covers everything that is wrong with that output from the musicianship to the lyrics.

If I find the motivation, I will add my two cents in a review at a certain point. Boy, that record is terrible.

''Room 819'': http://kluseba.eklablog.com/room-819-a-short-story-a213183053

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:42 pm 

Yeah, I enjoyed yours on that German band too. Never heard of them but that was a well done review... I feel like there's a line you can cross with a review like that but the "only talk about the music and nothing else" idea is certainly wrong.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:46 am 

TrooperEd wrote:
TFW you turn a review into the queue but seconds afterwards you think of the perfect couple of sentences to add to it.

That's why you don't submit it when it's "finished". You sleep over it, read it, do some editing, and then ideally you keep doing that until one day you wake up, read your review and decide that nothing needs to be changed. Then you submit it.

meshigene
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:42 pm 

http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/I ... 997/353988

Metalhead1997 wrote:
Rating: 3/10
Rating: 20/100

No comments.

Tanuki
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:47 pm 

Metalhead1997 wrote:

:lol: I saw another example of that in the Crappy Diem thread. Something to the effect of 'good overall 8/10' and he rated it 70%. People need to step up their fractions game.

Currently trying to write a review for Angel Sword, and I just have the curse of the blinking cursor, staring at a totally blank page like a dumbhead. How do you guys deal with writers block?

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:27 pm 

meshigene wrote:
http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/Ingested/The_Surreption/305546/Metalhead1997/353988

Metalhead1997 wrote:

No comments.

I don't know what you're talking about--that review earns a perfect 5/7 score!

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:29 pm 

Tanuki wrote:
Currently trying to write a review for Angel Sword, and I just have the curse of the blinking cursor, staring at a totally blank page like a dumbhead. How do you guys deal with writers block?

Personally I just don't write unless I have something to say. That's why I honor roughly 0.0001% of the requests I get. I'd just shelve that one for now and come back to it when your thoughts are a little clearer, because I personally think that all of my worst reviews are once I forced myself to write in one way or another.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Tanuki
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:52 pm 

Oh, I'm sorry, I worded that badly. I only meant 'for them' as in, a review for their album; they didn't ask me to do a review for them. My bad.

Your advice is solid either way though - much appreciated! I think I'll give it a few more listens and put the review off for now.

TrooperEd
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:09 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
Personally I just don't write unless I have something to say.

Same here. One reason why I've been writing reviews for popular albums that have 15+ reviews is because I have sentences and points in my head I've been wanting to convey. I'll do my best to try and expand upon said points to an acceptable review. There's a big gap in my Thin Lizzy pile where the theoretical Black Rose review should be but I my brain has germinated anything other than "Good #1 album for you. Buy now!"

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:03 pm 

I really wish that webzine/blog reviewers interested in dumping their back catalogue on MA would familiarize themselves with the site's standards regarding content, formatting, etc. before going forward.

For some reason we are getting a lot of this lately, and it is very frustrating for the staffers.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:24 am 

I'm glad bayern reviewed Ignorace by Pessimist. I haven't heard that one in a little while, but it's a really interesting album. The end of the review kind of tapered off, talking about the band's subsequent albums, plus Cynic and Mindwork, which I feel aren't really pertinent to the reviewed album at hand, but overall I'm glad he tackled it. It's a really cool album that I hope more people listen to now that there's writing for it. :thumbsup:

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:25 am 

just read caspians review of the new wytch hazel. His criticism on the record is actually why I love it. Its just so laid back and nice and awesome.
One thing also seemingly overlooked for now is that the band is almost folk metal. Just listen to Fairport Convention and such and one will notice the similarities.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:17 pm 

Quick nitpick on Acrobat's Protector The Heritage review: There was no beer in plastic bottles before 2003.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

Tanuki
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:29 pm 

Gotta hand it to unicorn, that was a brave opinion on Conformicide. But lordy, that score. 97% is higher than what he rated Terminal Redux, Dystopia, Think This... o_O Oh well. None of my beeswax. Interesting read, for sure - may crack and finally give it a listen myself.

thrashmaniac87
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:33 pm 

The new Conformicide review seems awfully vague considering how long it is, and he never really justified the near perfect score he gave it.

untappd: patrick_g

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:38 pm 

Not sure why hells_unicorn seems to have to put in a lengthy thing defending these albums from detractors' criticisms when albums have multiple negative reviews aside from his - it'd be better if he stuck to talking about the album.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:14 am 

Because he's a christian trumpist and an enemy of metal, obviously.

TheStormIRide
Certified Poser

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:19 am 

http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/N ... ia4/212738

Nice review of Sovereign, Clam! I like the EP more now than I did when it first came out, but it was one of the reasons that I stopped following Neurosis for a few years (it wasn't until Given to the Rising that I decided to give them a chance again). Like you said, it's a cool EP that's pretty important to their development, overall.

I think it gets more credit than it deserves and that more people should focus on the amazing-ness that is Souls of Zero through Times of Grace.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:43 pm 

Thanks, man. Obviously not up to par with the vast majority of their albums, but still a really cool release for what it is. I agree with you about Souls-Grace being their best era. Souls will always be my favourite, such a unique and massive album. Silver is another favourite of mine, easily one of the heaviest albums to have ever been associated with doom. I still think they did some worthwhile stuff after that, though. Sun that Never Sets is probably my third favourite, it's basically a heavy psychedelic rock album but it's so fucking good. I love Eye and Given as well. Honor sucked, but their new one is good even if they're maybe running a bit low on new ideas.

zeingard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:10 pm 

thrashmaniac87 wrote:
The new Conformicide review seems awfully vague considering how long it is, and he never really justified the near perfect score he gave it.

Uh did you not hear those pronounced bass passages? Progressive

'Conformicide' deserves a 'Shark Sandwich' length review at best. Something like "Irrelevant retro-thrash band desperate for attention".

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:39 pm 

Wow, thanks drummingnerd99 (born in 1999) for the by-the-numbers summary on why most nu metal sucks, but not all of it. Reads like one of the endless Boris clones that birthed around '03 or so.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:22 pm 

EARLY KORN MIND YOU .. I KNOW MY BARELY TOLERABLE WANK-CORE!!

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:29 pm 

Even weirder that he attributes Anthrax for helping to start it, when really all they had was that one song that (he rightfully notes) is a Beastie Boys parody. Scott Ian was/is a well known fan of hip hop but apart from this one parody and the Bring the Noise crossover with Public Enemy he never really let it seep into Anthrax. So they have one parody and one cover, and that somehow laid the blueprint for a style that sounds absolutely nothing like them simply because of a hip hop influence? Come on man, Korn put way more funk influence than hip hop into their music, and the heavy parts were arguably more ridiculously downtuned grunge than any kind of metal. And hey, let's also throw in how it was something inconceivable to mix rap and metal when Beastie Boys had Kerry Fucking King make a guest appearance on their first album (that came out a year prior to I'm the Man).

The lesson here is "Don't give a history lesson if you aren't exactly sure what you're talking about, because big Beastie Boys fans like BH will make fun of you."

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:29 pm 

the new Neurosis didnt really grab me either but it seemed an improvement. Live they are completely destructive still however. I nearly died when i finally saw them last year. What i also found interesting was that while the given to the rising record is heavier than the couple preceeding it live the situation is reversed.

Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:20 pm 

Great review of Overkill/Kreator by autothrall, I had no idea of that single's existence until reading that review and I had to listen to it immediately after reading. I agree with everything said.

TheStormIRide
Certified Poser

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:55 pm 

tomcat_ha wrote:
the new Neurosis didnt really grab me either but it seemed an improvement. Live they are completely destructive still however. I nearly died when i finally saw them last year. What i also found interesting was that while the given to the rising record is heavier than the couple preceeding it live the situation is reversed.

I haven't seen them live since TSIB came out. Hoping to catch them this year, though. Even back then, absolutely crushing live act.

Lich Coldheart
Stares into the Void

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:35 am 

Who is this bayern guy who gives super high scores to his reviews?
I like keeping my sword wet, like a young girl in her prime.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:46 am 

Bayern is a great writer who mostly reviews old obscure classics.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Lich Coldheart
Stares into the Void

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:58 am 

Metantoine wrote:
Bayern is a great writer who mostly reviews old obscure classics.

I see. I'll most likely delve into his reviews a bit, then. :wink:
I like keeping my sword wet, like a young girl in her prime.

TrooperEd
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:11 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
And hey, let's also throw in how it was something inconceivable to mix rap and metal when Beastie Boys had Kerry Fucking King make a guest appearance on their first album (that came out a year prior to I'm the Man).

To be fair, that guitar solo is the most un-Kerry King like thing he's ever recorded. It sounds like The Dust Brothers are playing it with one separate arm on the guitar a piece. I get that that's the joke, but still.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:33 pm 

Bayern is a pretty good writer for sure, but his scoring is kind of ridiculous. He has over 200 reviews and only three of them are below 80%. Also a preposterous amount of 100%ers. It means a lot less when you're willing to give so many of them.

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:57 pm 

I was bothered by it at first, but he's reviewing things that have 0-1 other reviews at most, so he's overenthusiastic but at least he's not redundant.

Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:39 pm 

Iron Wizard's review of "Ace Of Spades" has a lot of contradictions.... it's given a 95% yet constantly mentions how overrated it is, for starters. It also talks about a lot of flaws for receiving that high of a score...

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:42 am 

I would totally ignore his reviews, it looks like he is both a really inexperienced writer and listener

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 305, 306, 307, 308, 309, 310, 311 ... 521  Next