Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
CHAIRTHROWER
Methed-burnt rogue babelfish

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:24 am 

Um, is it normal that Metallica's discography list is swamped by innumerable "live" albums, to the point of ridiculousness?...

nightbreaker33
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:50 pm 

Glad to see a new Gallows Whisper release that came out of nowhere and took me by suprise. Of course it was reviewed by none other than my fellow writer CHAIRTHROWER. Good job man! I also like that it is short but still very descriptive. I haven't listened to the demo because I want to listen to it on cassette which I ordered directly from GW's bandcamp! (50 cassetes limited edition).

aidane154
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:09 am 

CHAIRTHROWER wrote:
Um, is it normal that Metallica's discography list is swamped by innumerable "live" albums, to the point of ridiculousness?...

As far as I know, yes. I'm pretty sure it's cuz they endorsed a bunch of bootlegs around the time 72 seasons came out

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:36 am 

It's a bit crazy and excessive though, Sloth style...oh and thanks nightbreaker, I wasn't really up to writing anything yesterday but had promised Sirius Datura (cool name!) to take a gander at its latest demo.

King_of_Arnor
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:22 am 

aidane154 wrote:
CHAIRTHROWER wrote:

As far as I know, yes. I'm pretty sure it's cuz they endorsed a bunch of bootlegs around the time 72 seasons came out

It's been going on much longer than that; since the St Anger era there's been a deluge of these live releases. (The only one of them that's been reviewed is from Shanghai in 2017.)

aidane154
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:31 pm 

CHAIRTHROWER wrote:
As for Youthanasia, I was also taken aback by its recent (s)lacklustre score, but get how it rubs people the wrong way. Personally, it's a cornerstone of my youth due for appraisal soon.

going back to this, super excited for the chair take on youthanasia, enjoyed your recent antioch and gallows whisper reviews

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:15 pm 

Thanks, they're nothing great, simply written off the cuff. Too bad about Antioch normally they sound much better. Gallows Whisper is very cool and auspicious in an Angel/Acid Blade or The Night Eternal way. I'l do my best to round up Youthanasia soon, as I tend to procrastinate on classics...two of which, alongside Megadeth and Iron Maiden, have wormed their squirrely way into the rotation, as well as a few surprises down the road. Oh, I'm on a big Fallout kick, following the excellent TV series (so good it's been greenlisted for a second season), and just started an updated playthrough of its fourth instalment.

TheBurningOfSodom
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:20 am 

CHAIRTHROWER wrote:

They're now the band with the most releases on M-A. Take that, Megadeth, I guess?

lonerider wrote:
Think I'm gonna go take a whiz through my fretboard now

It's the dawn of descending...

VictimOfScience
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:43 am 

TheBurningOfSodom wrote:
Take that, Megadeth, I guess?

:lol: :lol:

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:04 pm 

In regards to your humorous Darkness review, I'm still wrapping my head around : ""The will to resist does no longer exist... But those who don't oppose only act amiss!".

Cripes! You don't hear that every day. (Nice wordplay on your behalf as well, felix.)

lonerider
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:55 pm 

Lee Harrison wrote:
That why I stopped to read MA archives reviews…

It’s difficult for the folks and have my total respect but knowing how to read or write is not enough to be a reviewer…

Need4power have three reviews (two 0 one 92 for Louder than hell of Manowar)

This is Incantation most influential album

https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... wer/324766

How a community can tolerate this?

I can’t….

and I'm completely disheartened
I know it's my Achilles heel

Yeah, that Incantation review is a complete joke. As another commentator wrote: does that guy even know what death metal is? This is like reviewing techno "music" and complaining that there are no vocals and no one's playing any actual instruments. I agree that ludicrous takes like this shouldn't make it onto this site.

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 11:26 am 

So...I haven't forgotten about my commitment to Megadeth's Youthanasia, as well as Iron Maiden's Seventh Son; expect those soon! (If not during my Night Demon pilgrimage to Montreal, immediately upon my return.)

aidane154
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 1:19 pm 

CHAIRTHROWER wrote:
So...I haven't forgotten about my commitment to Megadeth's Youthanasia, as well as Iron Maiden's Seventh Son; expect those soon! (If not during my Night Demon pilgrimage to Montreal, immediately upon my return.)

yeeessssss I'm considering doing seventh son as well

VictimOfScience
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 10:03 pm 

CHAIRTHROWER wrote:
In regards to your humorous Darkness review, I'm still wrapping my head around : ""The will to resist does no longer exist... But those who don't oppose only act amiss!".

Cripes! You don't hear that every day. (Nice wordplay on your behalf as well, felix.)

Haha, glad you enjoyed it! I did hear the subtle call by the way, went ahead and gave Tyran a listen. Very good stuff!

aidane154
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2024 4:36 pm 

very much enjoying Twisted Psychology's Dream Theater deep dive, thought the debut one he did was a one-off but it seems he's now working his way through. Can't wait for the metropolis part 2 review in particular

Lane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2024 1:18 am 

Nattskog7's Crawl review is top. The Hellraiser association is into-the-point; this made me miss Entombed's death 'n roll era even more. Cheers.

FontaL
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2024 3:38 pm 

That review made me revisit the Twilight of the Gods album. What nostalgic afternoons that album gave me when I started discovering viking metal. Although I predict that a detractor will soon appear to give it less than 60-50%. There's never a shortage of someone who wanna be the centerpiece of the table :lol:

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 518, 519, 520, 521, 522