Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
meshigene
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:44 am 

Metal_Warspite's review for Hardwired is incoherent like most other negative reviews for Metallica albums and has a stupid-ass title. Does anyone even understand what the reviewer tried to prove with it?

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:25 am 

Morn Of Solace wrote:
Yup! Even i don't rate the albums nearly as high as him, Droneriot's "ten best metal albums" series it's great: the picks are all interesting and every review made me want to listen (or re-listen) them to find the details he talks about that i could have missed

Yeah, even if Nespithe is the only album he has there I'd personally give 100% (although Deathcrush and Into Darkness are pretty fucking close), he did a really good job with the series. Don't see any bad picks, although there a few albums on there I still have to check out.

ThrashIsCertain92
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 5:34 pm 

Kinda random, but I just went to UltraBoris' profile and realized it's been exactly 10 years to this day since he released a review.

Lich Coldheart
Stares into the Void

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 5:40 pm 

ThrashIsCertain92 wrote:
Kinda random, but I just went to UltraBoris' profile and realized it's been exactly 10 years to this day since he released a review.

Released by Speed Metal Satan Records?
I like keeping my sword wet, like a young girl in her prime.

theunrelentingattack
Not yet ready for a custom title

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:40 pm 

meshigene wrote:
Metal_Warspite's review for Hardwired is incoherent like most other negative reviews for Metallica albums and has a stupid-ass title. Does anyone even understand what the reviewer tried to prove with it?

Exactly what he did prove. That he's made up his mind that all Metallica is going to suck before even listening to it and that he really shouldn't be bothering to listen in the first place.

There are many reasons to like and dislike this album but "what would Cliff Burton think?" or "why can't this sound like Kill 'Em All?" are really just lame, tired arguments. This review ends up being kind of ironic, don't you think? Complain about Metallica repeating themselves by using the same shitty arguments everyone has used for the last twenty years now.

"I'd even take Master of Puppets..." oh geez, what a sacrifice!

My favorite part of any Hardwired negative review is the first paragraph in this one:

http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/M ... 666/397200

Slayer, Exodus and Testament are underground bands with underground fans. That's fucking precious.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:26 am 

I just read Karrebarre98's review of Gojira's Magma and this kind of confused me:

Quote:
Now they can say they've made an album that could be compared to their other albums as being more ambient. Every band with a balanced discography has to have an ambient album.

Every band? Like, literally every band? o_O Or am I missing something?

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:30 am 

Felix 1666 - I like his reviews, consistently decent writing. This new Risk review however tells me zero about the music. I read because the band history made me curious - thrash from a band with decades of metal experience - but from reading the review I get no info that I didn't get on the band page itself, a word about the genre, a word about the line-up, a word about the former band, can check all that on the page already.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:47 am 

MikeyC wrote:
I just read Karrebarre98's review of Gojira's Magma and this kind of confused me:

Quote:
Now they can say they've made an album that could be compared to their other albums as being more ambient. Every band with a balanced discography has to have an ambient album.

Every band? Like, literally every band? o_O Or am I missing something?

Got to say, I can't imagine Slayer making an ambient album any time in the future.

Felix 1666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:29 am 

droneriot - thank you very much for your precious comments concerning the Risk review. Although I think that there is a description of the music, I cannot exclude that it should have written a more in-depth description. I will keep this in mind when tackling the next album. Thanks again for your constructive criticism.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:56 am 

Looks like the queue finally got cleared out of the stagnating submissions. I'm surprised that many of the Metallica reviews actually made it through.

Felix: Slow down a bit and don't worry about meeting some personal quota. Quality > the rest.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:26 pm 

Felix 1666 wrote:
droneriot - thank you very much for your precious comments concerning the Risk review. Although I think that there is a description of the music, I cannot exclude that it should have written a more in-depth description. I will keep this in mind when tackling the next album. Thanks again for your constructive criticism.

Even a comparison to another band could have done wonders, just curious about what kind of thrash a former long time hard rock/heavy metal band plays, it's not common for bands to evolve from a softer metal style to a more extreme one.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:10 pm 

Here is the text of ExodusAttack666's review for Altars of Madness, minus everything except punctuation and the word "fucking":

ExodusAttack666 wrote:
'. . '. fucking,,,fucking fucking. fucking! fucking,,"". . ,fucking. ,fucking"""". . ''. "". ,"". . ,'. ,,. ""fucking,! ""fucing,,Fucking! ""fucking,. fucking,. "". ,,fuckingfucking. fucking. . .
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:32 pm 

Now, that's a beautiful review.

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:44 am 

:lol: influenced by early Napalm_Satan?

Felix 1666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:29 pm 

I'm glad that I'm not the only one who feels disturbed after having read the f**king review of EA666. Honestly, don't know why it was approved. Hope that this guy can also think of other things than f**king. Small hint, it's more fun to do it than to think of it.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:04 pm 

Why do you censor our beautiful southern neighbour's village names?

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:50 pm 

Felix 1666 wrote:
Hope that this guy can also think of other things than f**king.

Doubtful. He was rendered virtually inarticulate by his organ-rupturing crush on Pete Sandoval and the fucking insane crushing fucking brutal chaotic riffage smashing the ears of you. He's going to be in rehab for a while, poor soul.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:51 pm 

http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/G ... own/179648

Is this oven fodder? This guy spends his time doing nothing but talking about haters and responding to other reviews' criticism - not directly to any one reviewer, but it's pretty bad even so.

Mikhail95
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:07 am 

And you guys tear apart my reviews when reviewers like ExodusAttack666 exist.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:46 am 

Your reviews needed a lot of work too. You should continue practicing.

zeingard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:21 am 

mikey22 wrote:
And you guys tear apart my reviews when reviewers like ExodusAttack666 exist.

The existence of people worse than you, does not make you any less shit.

xexyzl
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:58 am 

Empyreal wrote:
http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/Ghost/Opus_Eponymous/284573/Chainedown/179648

Is this oven fodder? This guy spends his time doing nothing but talking about haters and responding to other reviews' criticism - not directly to any one reviewer, but it's pretty bad even so.

Chainedown wrote:
Ghost wisely leave out one key element common in the 70s metal - grandeur. Every band in the 70s tried to do something epic (and often self-absorbed) in attempt to stand out from the rest, whether the approach was long instrumental jams, quirky instrumentation and phrasings, or progressive song structure.

Not sure that I've ever read a more damning critique of Ghost; and he considers this a good thing?!

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:35 am 

Haha I missed that I guess. What a lame opinion.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:21 pm 

Especially considering grandiosity--in some form or another--is pretty much one of the main, universal cornerstones of heavy metal.

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:40 pm 

So i'm trying to rejig my scoring system- basically make it so that anything over 90% is ridiculously good, as opposed to "I had a pretty fun time listening to this 92%" which i did a lot back in the day.

For those with less reviews then me all I can say is get your scoring system right now, because few things are more tiresome than going through 645 reviews and tweaking them by a few percent here and there.

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:02 pm 

I'm pretty bad at scoring honestly. I just give an album whatever I feel like it deserves on an emotional level. I don't have some kind of set system.

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:42 pm 

yeah that's been working for me better nowadays. I guess just when I was at my peak "discovering all the giants" (like when you just delve into a genre for the first time, sorta thing) I gave a shitload of 90+ ratings to the point where it became pretty redundant.

I'm not saying you have to be rigid but I think we can all agree that it's nice to have a bit of consistency and meaning to it.

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:46 pm 

Yeah, any 90% rating I give I definitely mean it. I can be pretty liberal with 80-89% where I eventually sort of cool off on an album though - see the latest Edguy and Kamelot albums. But I'm starting to realize that so I won't do it as much now probably.

On an unrelated note, me and hells_unicorn apparently can only agree on new Metallica and Maiden albums.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:24 pm 

I've gotten better, but I'm still probably way too generous with my scoring. Don't really have a set in stone system (although an album might be a 70%er for a host of different reasons ect). I've been thinking about going back and revisiting everything I've given 90+ and seeing if it really deserves that. Younger me has definitely made some very poor judgement calls - 100% for Skagos and 95% for Clair Cassis, for example.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:25 pm 

to me review scores are kind of exponential, stuff thats 85% vs 88% is not as much worse as 88% vs 91%.
It seems kind of shitty but at the same time there are a lot of albums that are good to very good but not truly excellent yet these albums have fluctuating quality levels as well.

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:58 pm 

I basically just look at other scores from my not-ashamed period and say "Oh, that was mildly better than this one, so I'll score it like 2% higher".

Lich Coldheart
Stares into the Void

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:53 am 

ExodusAttack666, on Bonded by Blood wrote:
If you don't like this album, Paul Baloff is gonna come into your house and kick your face and rape and murder your wife. This is the best album in all of fucking music.

Yeah, sure... I like Bonded by Blood but c'mon...

(ExodusAttack666 gets off Paul Baloff's dick and comes after me)

Felix 1666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:27 am 

He gives BbB 100%. How can anybody with such a good music taste write such a f**king poor review? And how does it exactly happen that Baloff's corpse comes into my house?

Lich Coldheart
Stares into the Void

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:33 am 

I guess he just needed an opening for his review and couldn't think of anything else to show his fanboy-ism.

EDIT: Or he may have done it... deliberately? :scratch:

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:12 am 

Sometimes I wonder if the black album, the Loads, etc never happened, if dull-ass ninth-tier bands like Exodus and Testament would have the same cult appreciation they have today.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:58 am 

That review was pretty by the numbers "metal kid" raving...maybe written worse than usual though.

that review wrote:
"Piranha" has 3000 crushing riffs

No it doesn't?

Mikhail95
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:44 pm 

Could I please have some help with my review?

Spoiler: show
This album is very good to say the least. It's technical, heavy, and brutal and let's just say Vile peaked on this album. Their previous album "Stench of the Deceased" was very brutal but this album is more technical. Songs like the fourth track "Retaliation" and the title track have very heavy use of rapid harmonic minor scales. On the title track Depopulate the singer will growl, then the guitar will go down in a scale, then the singer will shift his voice slightly higher and the guitar lines will go up in the scale and it sounds very fluid in motion. On interrogation rites the guitarist plays a very beautiful solo, not atonal shredding but a very clean sounding solo with some whammy bar usage. The best thing about this album is the very meaty guitar tone. It has a lot of weight to it and is not light sounding at all which adds to the heaviness of the music.

The drummer on this album is truly phenomenal; he doesn't overdue the blast beats and he knows his way around the kit. Sometimes when the music slows down he just uses his tremendous double bass kicks with some steady beats, but when the music speeds up he throws in some very impressive blast beats. Honestly, the way the drums sound on this album reminds me a lot of Decapitated's Nihility which was "The" metal album of 2002. With very heavy use of double bass and when the songs speed up the blast beats kick in. The guitarists show a clear progression from the straightforward brutality of "Stench of the Deceased." Here they add a lot of neo-classical shredding in the riffs and solos. For example the last track is a classically styled instrumental which utilizes only acoustic guitar. The fourth track Retaliation has very heavy usage of harmonic and melodic minor scales in the opening riff played at very high speeds.

The vocalist is one of the strong suits of this album. He has a very powerful low growl reminding me of Glen Benton and he has some very tasteful high screams. Not like those screamo bands which are annoying but very good high screams more in the form of old school melodic death metal like Carcass, old In Flames (not the new version), and The Black Dahlia Murder. The one thing that this album lacks is a bass. I know they have a bass player but he's practically inaudible, almost impossible to hear. The production on this album is very good to say the least. All the instruments (except the bass) are very clear and can be heard. The production on this album reminds me of Decapitated's Nihility and I bring up this comparison because they were released in the same year (2002), they both fit in the same genre, and they have that very heavy use of double bass, and very meaty guitar tone with heavy use of harmonic minor and melodic minor scales in the riffs and solos on both perspective albums.

In conclusion, this album is good. Noting genre defining but a strong, solid, album. Vile may have lost some of their individuality from their debut "Stench" but this album is more polished and the playing is more intricate and displays a growth from the players in musical composition and technical abilities. Another thing to note are the actually good movie samples used in the last track and Unit 731. They use samples from the awesome crime film Reservoir Dogs instead of some shitty low grade horror film or porn flick. Overall, you should give this a listen if you like technical, brutal, or just regular death metal.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:17 pm 

mikey22 wrote:
Could I please have some help with my review?

Spoiler: show
This album is very good to say the least. It's technical, heavy, and brutal and let's just say Vile peaked on this album. Their previous album "Stench of the Deceased" was very brutal but this album is more technical. Songs like the fourth track "Retaliation" and the title track have very heavy use of rapid harmonic minor scales. On the title track Depopulate the singer will growl, then the guitar will go down in a scale, then the singer will shift his voice slightly higher and the guitar lines will go up in the scale and it sounds very fluid in motion. On interrogation rites the guitarist plays a very beautiful solo, not atonal shredding but a very clean sounding solo with some whammy bar usage. The best thing about this album is the very meaty guitar tone. It has a lot of weight to it and is not light sounding at all which adds to the heaviness of the music.

The drummer on this album is truly phenomenal; he doesn't overdue the blast beats and he knows his way around the kit. Sometimes when the music slows down he just uses his tremendous double bass kicks with some steady beats, but when the music speeds up he throws in some very impressive blast beats. Honestly, the way the drums sound on this album reminds me a lot of Decapitated's Nihility which was "The" metal album of 2002. With very heavy use of double bass and when the songs speed up the blast beats kick in. The guitarists show a clear progression from the straightforward brutality of "Stench of the Deceased." Here they add a lot of neo-classical shredding in the riffs and solos. For example the last track is a classically styled instrumental which utilizes only acoustic guitar. The fourth track Retaliation has very heavy usage of harmonic and melodic minor scales in the opening riff played at very high speeds.

The vocalist is one of the strong suits of this album. He has a very powerful low growl reminding me of Glen Benton and he has some very tasteful high screams. Not like those screamo bands which are annoying but very good high screams more in the form of old school melodic death metal like Carcass, old In Flames (not the new version), and The Black Dahlia Murder. The one thing that this album lacks is a bass. I know they have a bass player but he's practically inaudible, almost impossible to hear. The production on this album is very good to say the least. All the instruments (except the bass) are very clear and can be heard. The production on this album reminds me of Decapitated's Nihility and I bring up this comparison because they were released in the same year (2002), they both fit in the same genre, and they have that very heavy use of double bass, and very meaty guitar tone with heavy use of harmonic minor and melodic minor scales in the riffs and solos on both perspective albums.

In conclusion, this album is good. Noting genre defining but a strong, solid, album. Vile may have lost some of their individuality from their debut "Stench" but this album is more polished and the playing is more intricate and displays a growth from the players in musical composition and technical abilities. Another thing to note are the actually good movie samples used in the last track and Unit 731. They use samples from the awesome crime film Reservoir Dogs instead of some shitty low grade horror film or porn flick. Overall, you should give this a listen if you like technical, brutal, or just regular death metal.

:| viewtopic.php?f=4&t=16487

xexyzl
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:46 pm 

http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/S ... r13/318679
Quote:
Slayer is a band infamous the world over for their aggressive style and often offensive lyricism. They have been a dominating force in the thrash metal genre for decades and have reached high levels of success throughout their illustrious career. The band however has taken a huge hit over the past few years, losing both founding guitarist Jeff Hanneman and drummer Dave Lombardo. Many weren't convinced that this crippled version of the band would persist and release any new material. Well, for better or worse, they did.
We know all of this already. Unless we just woke up from 2013 yesterday.

Master_Of_Thrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:44 pm 

I didn't read the review, but as a life science student, the title gave me cancer.

http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/S ... all/192699

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 297, 298, 299, 300, 301, 302, 303 ... 520  Next