Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Frowning_All_The_Time
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:33 pm 

As a long-time lurker to this website, I wish to thank everyone for the time and energy they put into their reviews. My thanks extends to the admin and mods for devoting their time and energy into making this site what it is. It's really something to be proud of.

It's just a shame how the metal-hating troll known as 'bitterman' is able shit on everything he reviews, give scores of 0 and this is not only tolerated, but defended by various people.

I'm aware of the "reviewer guidelines", but I personally would prefer to read poorly-written, but honest reviews from non-english speakers than stumble across the negative, egotistical, agenda-driven crap from people with mental issues. It lowers the site's overall integrity, in my opinion. (If the album ratings don't matter, then why bother to add them up and print the average?)

I can see people are frustrated with this subject. Move on, they say. I'm also aware I'm giving the troll oxygen by posting this. Just know that it will continue to rear it's ugly head while the Metal-Archives continues to publish the flatulence from this ANUS. He is being deliberately provocative and achieving his aim. See, it's all about HIM… Time could be better spent discussing metal instead of discussing this self-confessed metal-hater.

Get rid of him, please… Just imagine if this style caught on and the place became overrun with attention-seeking trolls trying to make a name for themselves by shit-canning every respected band they reviewed? Is that what people want?

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:50 pm 

Imagine if the reviews discussion forum got overrun by people bitching and moaning about the same guy for months on end. Imagine it!

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:51 pm 

As shitty as those reviews are and as asinine as his philosophy is, he's really winning if people keep coming and posting self righteous stuff about it.

Frowning_All_The_Time
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:19 am 

iamntbatman wrote:
Imagine if the reviews discussion forum got overrun by people bitching and moaning about the same guy for months on end. Imagine it!
Yeah, I know! That's why I indicated I wasn't the first and won't be the last person to bitch about him. Add me to the list of "victims". There'll be others. Tiring, isn't it? That's the problem with trolls. They poke people, then kick back and smile at the conflict they cause.

So don't blame me. I'm a stranger to these parts. I only came onto this board to post "WTF?" about bitterman, saw that I was 3 months late and he'd already achieved a level of infamy. Being vaguely aware that many reviews are rejected, I wondered why his were permitted, especially in light of how strictly the message boards are moderated.

Frowning_All_The_Time
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:20 am 

Empyreal wrote:
As shitty as those reviews are and as asinine as his philosophy is, he's really winning if people keep coming and posting self righteous stuff about it.
How was I being self-righteous? I don't claim to be anything other than an avid, appreciative reader of the MA reviews and the latest victim of a self-aggrandising troll. If he is "winning" because people like me complain about him, then hopefully he is one step closer to "losing" when those charge say "Okay, enough of this bullshit". I'm just voicing my own (small) opinion, for whatever it's worth. Not sure why me posting about this is such a problem. Isn't this the official thread for discussing reviews? Tell me where else I'm supposed to express my views. The 'bitterman' thread was locked.

I'm not even a fanboy of any the bands he bashes. I was a Carcass fan, but that was years ago. Their latest album is okay, decent enough, but nothing special. It doesn't faze me if you or bitterman don't like it. I laughed at his review and his score of zero. Then I saw he'd given a score of 0 to every other band he'd reviewed. I just get irritated by conceited contrarians who think they're more important than the bands they criticise. This guy is on a mission to shit on every band he reviews. Like I said previously, imagine if that caught on and 100 others started doing the same.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:46 am 

His reviews are permitted because they meet our guidelines and whenever they don't, he is very quick to revise them so that they do. That's pretty much the entire story.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:46 am 

The way I see it, and a wise individual pointed this out some time ago regarding bitterman: plenty of people give pointless 100% scores with little/no real justification, so bitterman is just adding a curve to the system and evening things out.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:45 am 

While the bitterman bitching is lame as fuck (Seriously the fucker hasn't done anything of note in months and he's acceptable at any rate), but that defense is terrible. Why do bad reviews need to be evened out with different bad reviews? That's like seeing a serial killer is murdering grandmothers and running off to kill some babies to make sure the population breakdown doesn't get ruined.

Edit: Also:

> Makes big post about bitterman

Quote:
See, it's all about HIM… Time could be better spent discussing metal instead of discussing this self-confessed metal-hater.

... You see the problem here?

Frowning_All_The_Time
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:51 am 

iamntbatman wrote:
His reviews are permitted because they meet our guidelines and whenever they don't, he is very quick to revise them so that they do. That's pretty much the entire story.
To me, it seems slightly incongruous that forum discussions are so heavily moderated with warnings dished out and threads frequently locked and yet the reviews section is open slather for people to write whatever they want, as long they pass the basic criteria of good grammar and focusing on the music.

How long do you think a thread would last on the Metal forum if it was titled "Satyr is the Bob Seger of Metal" and then described his band as "Queens of the Stone Age playing When the Saints Go Marching In" ? My guess is not very long and probably a warning to the thread-starter. Surely the "quality control" should be more heavily focused on the band pages and album reviews, which remain pinned up indefinitely in plain view.

Also, how about the admin implementing an "ignore" list for the reviews section, much like the "foes" function on the message board? So if anyone comes across prolific reviewers they have no respect for, they can make all of their reviews invisible and the album rating is also adjusted.

Just a thought...

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:14 am 

Frowning_All_The_Time wrote:
To me, it seems slightly incongruous that forum discussions are so heavily moderated with warnings dished out and threads frequently locked and yet the reviews section is open slather for people to write whatever they want, as long they pass the basic criteria of good grammar and focusing on the music.

How long do you think a thread would last on the Metal forum if it was titled "Satyr is the Bob Seger of Metal" and then described his band as "Queens of the Stone Age playing When the Saints Go Marching In" ? My guess is not very long and probably a warning to the thread-starter. Surely the "quality control" should be more heavily focused on the band pages and album reviews, which remain pinned up indefinitely in plain view.

While I disagree with you about bitterman's reviews, I will admit that this is an extremely good point. I guess one could argue that the difference lies in that nobody can directly engage bitterman in a debate regarding his reviews, and personally I'd rather the forums be lightened up than the review section restricted; but nevertheless, this is an interesting take on the matter that I hadn't considered.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:20 am 

If someone posted a bitterman-esque review on the forum in its own thread, for the sole purpose of ranting about some music and inciting heated discussion with hyperbole, it wouldn't indeed last long. But that's because the forum is not really the place for that.

However, if there's typical forum-like discussion of Satyricon's new album, and someone mentioned those things, he would be ridiculed and probably ignored by many, but obviously there wouldn't be any disciplinary acts. The moderators only intervene when the discussion descends to personal insults between users. I'm not a moderator, but I believe that excessive personal insults in a review would be grounds for rejection as well (that is, shameless, vulgar slander against some musician involved), just as it would cause the posted to be warned on the forum.

I don't think there's any incongruity whatsoever.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:22 am 

I continue to love how people act insulted for a band and state that they need to defend their honor.

GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:06 pm 

For months I've been sitting here in this exact same thread making the exact same post about bitterman. I could cut open my forum activity and see months' worth of facepalming like rings in a fucking tree stump.

There seems to be this perspective that the mods are just willingly letting him review stuff without question. That's certainly not the case on my end, as I've eyed his reviews like a hawk and even rejected some, because they'd been overloaded with insulting crap and rhetoric. The one that most vividly sticks out was a review for the latest Napalm Death album, in which he'd submitted three paragraphs of calling the group leftist liberal faggots who'd rather hug a tree than listen to Darkthrone's demos. He tried to sneak by a few sentences about the actual musical description, and I honestly believe that in any other case it would've been fine, but I rejected it anyway, telling him he violated the rules and he should probably stop trying so hard, with specific instructions to not resubmit unless he'd changed his attitude. So that happened.

Would I mind tweaking the rules a bit so that we lay off the insults or philosophical rhetoric? No problem on my end. To be honest though, the foremost quality of a review has always been the music, and if that's been met, then I see no issue stating your own personal reflections on a piece of work. As long as it doesn't override the reviewer's rating or musical description, that is.

Finally:

Wilytank wrote:
I continue to love how people act insulted for a band and state that they need to defend their honor.

This. For real, it's the fucking internet and it doesn't matter. I'm baffled beyond words why people get so offended when their precious favorite band gets a negative review. Lyrics about gore, rape, necrophilia, occultism, Satanism, anti-religion, war, death, suicide, misogyny, racism, depression, substance abuse, torture, Hell, horror, and hatred . . . . those are okay, but negative reviews? That's where we draw the line!

Grow some thicker skin and dipshits like bitterman cease to exist. Hell, just grow some thicker skin in general.

Obligatory Last FM Link

Frowning_All_The_Time
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:05 pm 

I wasn't reacting to his criticism of any particular band. It's his close-minded, militant negativity about everything which provoked my (over)reaction. It appears he doesn't have anything positive to write about metal. He dismisses the previous two decades of metal as worthless. So why is he reviewing newly-released albums for The Metal Archives? What actual purpose does he serve other than to provoke these types of responses from people?

That's the whole point. We're not discussing people's complaints about the bad reviews Lord Genghis gave to Agalloch or Altar of Plagues. That's because he is balanced. For every negative review he writes, he is equally likely to write a positive or indifferent review. His intention is to inform people rather than simply be negative.

It's a distinct possibility that "bitterman" is merely the alter-ego of a prolific reviewer who wishes to skewer albums he thinks are overrated and remain anonymous in order to spare himself the inevitable hate mail. It could even be a cabal of reviewers using a shared account and amusing themselves. A "shit review of the month" club. I tend to favour the idea of a mythical metal-fundamentalist character who listens to the same Darkthrone demo over and over than believe such a twat really exists.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:41 pm 

You're wasting way too much time worrying about this.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:12 pm 

Not Bitterman again :( Can we focus on something else? Like DRD's return with this excellent review http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/S ... our/34383/

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:48 pm 

Frowning_All_The_Time wrote:
I wasn't reacting to his criticism of any particular band. It's his close-minded, militant negativity about everything which provoked my (over)reaction. It appears he doesn't have anything positive to write about metal. He dismisses the previous two decades of metal as worthless. So why is he reviewing newly-released albums for The Metal Archives? What actual purpose does he serve other than to provoke these types of responses from people?

That's the whole point. We're not discussing people's complaints about the bad reviews Lord Genghis gave to Agalloch or Altar of Plagues. That's because he is balanced. For every negative review he writes, he is equally likely to write a positive or indifferent review. His intention is to inform people rather than simply be negative.

It's a distinct possibility that "bitterman" is merely the alter-ego of a prolific reviewer who wishes to skewer albums he thinks are overrated and remain anonymous in order to spare himself the inevitable hate mail. It could even be a cabal of reviewers using a shared account and amusing themselves. A "shit review of the month" club. I tend to favour the idea of a mythical metal-fundamentalist character who listens to the same Darkthrone demo over and over than believe such a twat really exists.

I've been reflecting on this over the past few weeks...honestly, maybe he's a troll, or maybe he's a serious 'elitist'...it doesn't matter! Either way, the guy is clearly an idiot, who is not a serious listener of this music or member of the metal community, and thus his opinion on anything to do with metal, is irrelevant. It doesn't matter if he "hates everything", or is the alias of a troll or ex-member of this site...it isn't offensive or even remotely annoying. If anything, I pity him :lol:, because it either says he has no fun in his life whatsoever, or it says he has the sense of humor of a 13-year old 4chan user.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:05 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
DRD's return with this excellent review http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/S ... our/34383/

I preferred his Blackmayne review, it still has the same style but it's a bit more concise. His style is sort of like listening to a righteous drunken hooligan where you think "God damn he's right!" for the first few breaths but your attention trails off after roughly the length of this review or a bit shorter.
http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/B ... hRiderDoom

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:50 pm 

I hope I'm not the only one getting his/her undergarments in a bunch over this, but here it is: the word is spelled "because". Unless you're quoting some lyrics, or clearly writing in a conversational persona for effect, things like "cos" and "cuz" do not exist. I pretty much ignore a review once I see that shit passing itself off as real English.
It’s so powerful that your stomachs will damn.
Bulgogi Kimchi Bibimbap waffle burger! Holy shit! litterally shit!

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:29 pm 

severzhavnost wrote:
clearly writing in a conversational persona for effect

This is something that many reviewers, myself included, do all the time. DRD is definitely just doing that - writing "because" wouldn't have the same effect.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:52 am 

severzhavnost wrote:
I hope I'm not the only one getting his/her undergarments in a bunch over this, but here it is: the word is spelled "because". Unless you're quoting some lyrics, or clearly writing in a conversational persona for effect, things like "cos" and "cuz" do not exist. I pretty much ignore a review once I see that shit passing itself off as real English.

It is real English, you arse.

fallot
I'm not sexist, I have binders full of women friends!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:03 pm 

dystopia4 wrote:
His hyperbolic review scores and "metal died after 1993" attitude get people riled up, I guess.

Funniest part, scores are eminently reasonable and metal did die after 1993 (pretty much).

Edit: Whoa, missed the extra scrutiny post up there, thats way funnier. DONT YOU DARE SAY METAL DIED IN 1993 MY FAV. BAND OF ALL TIME (Insert gigantic nerd rant about how x shitty band is actually gold, how y doesnt appreciate it and how z can go FUCK ITSELF.... douchenozzle). All I read.

GuntherTheUndying

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:12 pm 

This fiasco needs to stop.

Obligatory Last FM Link

Last edited by GuntherTheUndying on Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:14 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
severzhavnost wrote:

This is something that many reviewers, myself included, do all the time. DRD is definitely just doing that - writing "because" wouldn't have the same effect.

That's what I said! Of course you can tell apart writing in tone, from ignorantly embedding slang forms within regular language as if it belongs. PS I wasn't criticizing DRD, as I haven't read his recent stuff, so there was no need to rise to his defence :)

ANationalAcrobat: It's real English in the same way "gotta" and "gonna" are real English. Would you hire someone whose cover letter stated "I wanna join your company cos..."?

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:49 pm 

Get down from your high horse, man. Formal and informal English are two very different things, as they should be. This isn't (ain't) the same thing as writing a covering letter. Both are equally valid, it's just that you use them in different situations.

Uncolored
Death Metal Fundamentalist

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:50 pm 

ANationalAcrobat wrote:

It is real English, you arse.

you are an enemy of your own language

SatanHussein wrote:
my dream is to organise a funeral doom festival and sell my stockpiles of antidepressants at the merch stand

I never check forum messages, don't bother write me here. thanx

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:46 pm 

severzhavnost wrote:
ANationalAcrobat: It's real English in the same way "gotta" and "gonna" are real English. Would you hire someone whose cover letter stated "I wanna join your company cos..."?

For a job reviewing metal in a zine, I'd sure as hell do it if they knew their shit and got the point across. While my own writing is proper and dry, I prefer reviews that are casually written when it's easy to read. Unless the writer really has a profound insight and vast knowledge of a certain band and album, I'd rather the average review feel like a quick chat where you get the point across effectively, and I like a style that feels relaxed, it feels easier to read through.

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:18 pm 

ANationalAcrobat wrote:
Get down from your high horse, man. Formal and informal English are two very different things, as they should be. This isn't (ain't) the same thing as writing a covering letter. Both are equally valid, it's just that you use them in different situations.

:brick: This is all I've been saying the whole time! In a part of a review where you're putting on a voice, for humour or emotional impact or whatever, informal is fine. But if written as part of a straight-faced descriptive statement, these linguistic halfasseries are out of place and undermine the respectability of the writing.

Edit: the covering letter thing was a poor example, you got me there.

joppek
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:48 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
severzhavnost wrote:

i like 'cause

it's casual, but (unlike "cuz") doesn't make you seem like a halfwit who'd also spell "you are" as "u r"

~Guest 292988
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:11 pm 

A

Last edited by ~Guest 292988 on Tue May 05, 2015 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:29 pm 

It's completely arbitrary, of course.
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:39 pm 

new Uncanny review wrote:
Then...you get to the worst song on the entire disc..."Lepra". I have no idea what the fuck this was supposed to be. It sounds like the blueprint for Morbid Angel's "Illud Divinum Insanus"!! Just an awful piece of industrial-death garbage that is damn-near laughable! A drum machine was used...pitch-shifted vocals...any dedicated death metal listener will reach for the skip button as soon as this shit appears...

I take it that this dude's never heard Godflesh. Admittedly, Uncanny's tribute to Godflesh does suck (as do Godflesh themselves), but c'mon, a new Morbid Angel comparison?!

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:50 am 

ANationalAcrobat wrote:
new Uncanny review wrote:
Then...you get to the worst song on the entire disc..."Lepra". I have no idea what the fuck this was supposed to be. It sounds like the blueprint for Morbid Angel's "Illud Divinum Insanus"!! Just an awful piece of industrial-death garbage that is damn-near laughable! A drum machine was used...pitch-shifted vocals...any dedicated death metal listener will reach for the skip button as soon as this shit appears...

I take it that this dude's never heard Godflesh. Admittedly, Uncanny's tribute to Godflesh does suck (as do Godflesh themselves), but c'mon, a new Morbid Angel comparison?!

Yeah, I have never heard Godflesh. In fact, I really pretty much hate industrial music (and electronic music as a whole) on principle :lol: (I used to like some Velvet Acid Christ when I was 14 but those days are long past). When I compared it to "Illud...", I was just trying to explain that it sounds like a mix of death and industrial, and that album was the only proper comparison I could think of. I didn't even mean that as an insult, I actually like "Illud". However, this didn't come across in the review.

fallot
I'm not sexist, I have binders full of women friends!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:58 pm 

1993 is a pretty good bar I think. Pretty sudden drop in number of quality albums after that. Not to say there arent (even bitterman doesnt say that), but most of the good stuff was either done by 93 and released in 94 or released by 93. Absolutely not arbitrary.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:35 pm 

fallot wrote:
1993 is a pretty good bar I think. Pretty sudden drop in number of quality albums after that. Not to say there arent (even bitterman doesnt say that), but most of the good stuff was either done by 93 and released in 94 or released by 93. Absolutely not arbitrary.

Wow.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:29 pm 

fallot wrote:

Nope, it's arbitrary and you are wrong as usual.

~Guest 292988
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:12 am 

B

Last edited by ~Guest 292988 on Tue May 05, 2015 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
GuntherTheUndying

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:59 am 

He's obviously trolling. Poke around ANUS, his homeland, for a bit and then tell me anything he says can be taken seriously.

Obligatory Last FM Link

~Guest 292988
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:20 am 

C

GuntherTheUndying

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:24 am 

Thanks for the lecture, Dr. Phil.

Obligatory Last FM Link

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 168, 169, 170, 171, 172, 173, 174 ... 522  Next