Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:25 am 

I quite like BastardHead's review of Reign in Blood. As much a Darkness Descends fan as I am, Reign in Blood is still the peak of thrash excellence, and it's absolutely mind boggling that anyone can retroactively say that it's a generic, crappy album or that it's just a bunch of filler or blah blah blah.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:37 pm 

Quote:
I'd like to give props to Empyreal for his excellent review of Stratovarius's Nemesis. This album has completely exceeded my modest expectations. I've been hard on Strato in the past, but Nemesis is just excellent and the fanfare is completely deserved. I'm seriously starting to think it's the best thing they've ever done.

I still think Episode is their best, and most original, but Nemesis and Elysium are right on its tail. Thanks man.

And am I the only person who enjoys Darkness Descends and RIB without having to make stupid e-penis comparisons between them? They're both good.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:10 pm 

I'd like to give a shout out to PhilosophicalFrog for his excellent review of Panopticon's Social Disservices. I initially wrote the album off as vastly inferior to Collapse, but lately it is really starting to grow on me.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:35 pm 

Subrick wrote:
I quite like BastardHead's review of Reign in Blood. As much a Darkness Descends fan as I am, Reign in Blood is still the peak of thrash excellence, and it's absolutely mind boggling that anyone can retroactively say that it's a generic, crappy album or that it's just a bunch of filler or blah blah blah.

I read the first two paragraphs and wondered why this rule doesn't apply to it:
"Don't insult listeners or other reviewers in your review."

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:18 pm 

Zodijackyl wrote:
Subrick wrote:

I read the first two paragraphs and wondered why this rule doesn't apply to it:
"Don't insult listeners or other reviewers in your review."

Me too. Then I realized that it did.

~Guest 214846
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:31 pm 

Maybe it's because I'm a fanboy, but the new Von review seems obnoxious, particularly the second to last paragraph.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:00 pm 

Numerator_41 wrote:
Maybe it's because I'm a fanboy, but the new Von review seems obnoxious, particularly the second to last paragraph.

I think it communicates the content of the album pretty well. It's obnoxious, but so is the music that it's describing. I think I'll review it as I could reflect on the sounds alone more than the reputation, since I dislike reviews that talk more of reputation than sound.

xexyzl
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:56 am 

Zodijackyl wrote:
Numerator_41 wrote:

I think it communicates the content of the album pretty well. It's obnoxious, but so is the music that it's describing. I think I'll review it as I could reflect on the sounds alone more than the reputation, since I dislike reviews that talk more of reputation than sound.
Pretty sure he's referring to the other Von review, which does talk a lot about reputation.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:43 am 

RageW wrote:
I'll start this by saying I'm a big fan of The Gathering's atmospheric rock work. They developed a very interesting sound, and thankfully have stuck with it ever since, because they know that's what they're good at. Sadly, to reach that point, the band had to learn it the hard way - the same way poor Anathema learned it - by releasing a couple of extremely bland death/doom albums.

You're an enemy of metal. :finger:

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:10 pm 

Could y'all take a look at my Disjecta Membrae review and give me a bit of feedback? Gutterscream rejected my first attempt because it was poop. Looking at it after the rejection I thought, "fuck, man. Gutterscream's right. This is terrible", so I overhauled it. It's my first review, so I read a bunch to get some tips, but writing it turned out to be a lot harder than it looks. For my own part, I think I took his note to clean up the grammar a little too literally and made the flow pretty stodgy. It lacks for musical description, but if you've listened to Taedium Vitae, you'll know that it proves a challenge in that regard. So I could use some knowing counsel, since I'd like to keep writing reviews. It was a fun process, and I want to be a better writer.

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:26 pm 

I think it was ok enough, that sort of dismantled funeral doom or torture doom thing is a bit of a hard thing to write about. I've only heard the EP once since all the downloads for it on the internet are dead, but from memory it was on the more stripped down side of the style which is a real challenge, although I'm a sucker for that stuff so I would have had a little bit more stuff to talk about as I gushed happily about it. Also I'm personally not a big fan of the really imagery based writings that makes up your second paragraph, but as far as that stuff goes you seemed to be pretty on the ball, and as you said, your cleaning up on grammar did make the flow there a little clumsy, as you jump from imagery into literal musical discussions a fair few times in there. The only recommendation I could give is to start of by reviewing some albums you feel more positive or negative about, writing about albums which you find middling is a real challenge, due to a lack of real enthusiasm, so starting off on some stuff you'd be more excited about would help you get into a bit more of a groove.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:59 am 

Thanks. Good idea. What do you prefer instead of imagery-based writing? I ask because I find it hard to write about music without using imagery. I certainly don't want to get purple, as that is crap.

lord_ghengis

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:35 am 

I prefer more structured sort of things with metaphors and jokes used to emphasise more direct and literal points, but never getting too far into the "The melody feels as if you're sitting alone on the peak of a snowy mountain in the Scandinavian winter, while crows eat the meat from the bones of your fallen companions" stuff. Again, it's totally personal, so if you like writing that sort of stuff I'd be an asshole to tell you to change it, since it is a completely viable method of writing, just one I don't like too much.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:28 pm 

haha .. :) Yeah, I hear you. I appreciate you taking the time. Thanks.

+ and one thing I can say for sure: this much consideration given to writing reviews is making damn sure I take my time to refine my own music. It takes a lot to be high quality, and it's definitely worth the time and effort to get there.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:29 pm 

So Wormphlegm, Lykathea Aflame, and Khanate are homosexual entities.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:34 pm 

What a lame attempt at humour. Idiotic.

xexyzl
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:22 pm 

I think what's more important to take away from that, uhh, interesting analogy is that those bands are child rapists.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:56 pm 

16 year old's humor. Along the lines of what I found funny at 16 in the reviews I wrote.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:09 pm 

:scratch: bit of a reaction for one sentence in a pretty-ok review.

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:53 pm 

"The production is astonishing, deep, layered, and organic, and is one of those recordings that rewards with repeated listens. There is so much detail and nuance, you can pick out new details with every listen. It is definitely metal, but it is more experimental, textured, and colourful than their other albums."

What the hell?

lord_ghengis

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:35 pm 

What was confusing about that snippet?

lord_ghengis

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:38 pm 

Oh, because its about a nu metal album, I get it now.

Sorry for the double post, the edit button isn't loading up for.me

MalignantThrone
Vanished in the Cosmic Futility

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:40 pm 

Wilytank wrote:

If it makes you feel any better, the humor in my reviews makes me cringe too. There's one bit in my latest Whitechapel review where I compare its awfulness to penis shrinkage, I just find it easier and more fun to write about stuff I hate that way.

Since all of you seem to be hung up on the fact that I used a rape reference, let me pose a serious question to you: would this have been as egregious, immature, idiotic, etc. if I had replaced "buttfucked" with "beat up" or "stole his lunch money"? Because if your irritation here lies less in the silly metaphor itself than it does in the reference to homosexuality, I'd argue that you're being just as absurd as I was.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:59 pm 

That review isn't bad at all, at least it's got a real style to it and is actually sure what it wants to say, unlike a lot of reviews which just sound like high school English term papers. And it isn't even like he was necessarily insulting any of those bands either.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:07 am 

Empyreal wrote:
That review isn't bad at all, at least it's got a real style to it and is actually sure what it wants to say, unlike a lot of reviews which just sound like high school English term papers. And it isn't even like he was necessarily insulting any of those bands either.

Word. You guys aren't familiar with MalignantThrone's style or what? He's a pretty good writer especially for his age, I don't mind the vulgarity when it's appropriate and well written, at least there's an identity compared to a lot of cold writers (yeah, I'm looking at you Conor Fynes...). I'm a fan of style when there's also content and MT's reviews always have both.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

MalignantThrone
Vanished in the Cosmic Futility

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:00 am 

Empyreal's right about my point not being to insult those bands - I love all three mentioned, and my point there was that for all the talk about Fallujah being "atmospheric", their music didn't come anywhere near the complex, masterful imagery conjured by the bands mentioned.

And while I'm indeed young, I'd ideally like for that not to factor into things. If you think my writing blows, I wouldn't want the fact that I'm not in my 20s to be some sort of redeemable feature.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:58 am 

MalignantThrone: It comes across as somewhat forced, thus lame, and it's simply not funny even if completely disregarding the vulgarity of it. Usually there's a certain line after which rape jokes become idiotic. An example of a funny one would be gomorro's "I ran like Usain Bolt was about to rape me". An unfunny, lame one would be one such as yours, because it comes across as "harsh humour" for the sake of it. If it was "beat up", it would still not be funny, but considerably less childish at least.

I could've taken "raped", but "buttfucked into nonexistence"? Really.

Metantoine wrote:
Word. You guys aren't familiar with MalignantThrone's style or what?
What kind of defence is that? He usually writes like that, he shouldn't be criticised for it?

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:03 am 

I'm not saying he shouldn't be criticized for it, I'm saying it's kinda silly to bring that up like it's something new and there's better examples than this review if you want to trash his style.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:06 am 

Did you consider that I might've not come across anything like that from him before? I'm not required to be familiar with the rest of his work in order to criticise some of it.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:12 am 

I think you guys are getting awfully bent out of shape over three words in an otherwise completely fine review. I was expecting a drawn out, forced tangent based on the posts here, but it's seriously just one sentence, and a fairly innocuous one at that. I'm honestly stunned that that caused a reaction at all.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:23 am 

BastardHead wrote:
I think you guys are getting awfully bent out of shape over three words in an otherwise completely fine review. I was expecting a drawn out, forced tangent based on the posts here, but it's seriously just one sentence, and a fairly innocuous one at that. I'm honestly stunned that that caused a reaction at all.

A couple of posters pointed out that they though it was unfunny, childish and a little odd. Not such a strong reaction as you're making it out to be.

Necessitarian
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:33 am 

Calling something idiotic is a pretty big thing if you don't factor in that everything is hyperbolic on the internet.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:29 am 

:lol: If you're able to take 'rape,' how is 'buttfucked' any more objectionable? C'mon. Be offended by all of it or none of it.

And yeah that line wasn't anything tasteful, sure, but it wasn't bad either.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:20 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
:lol: If you're able to take 'rape,' how is 'buttfucked' any more objectionable? C'mon. Be offended by all of it or none of it.

And yeah that line wasn't anything tasteful, sure, but it wasn't bad either.

Offended? Don't be ridiculous. I was commenting on the lame attempt at humour.

lord_ghengis

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:24 pm 

I think the only major issue with the joke was the length of it really. Its hardly that weird of a joke, just a sloppy rewording of "if x slapped y in the face". I don't see what the fuss is, people have been rewording tht saying for decades.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:51 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

Word. You guys aren't familiar with MalignantThrone's style or what? He's a pretty good writer especially for his age, I don't mind the vulgarity when it's appropriate and well written, at least there's an identity compared to a lot of cold writers (yeah, I'm looking at you Conor Fynes...). I'm a fan of style when there's also content and MT's reviews always have both.

Yeah, but he's actually a good writer with some egregious segments that should be removed, it's a lot more disappointing than a hundred people who are just awful at describing music and writing. There's a lot of amateurs who will never progress beyond pathetically amateur writing and people who aren't interested in feedback, those pop up on here at least weekly.

It's kind of like a great death metal band with a lame vocalist, or a great heavy metal band with a drummer who is a bit off time, there's plenty of good there and the good draws attention to the negative.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:39 pm 

(The principal Demm E. Lich would assumably walk into the room afterwards and cheer on those three students for putting inferior beings in their place.)

I suppose that's supposed to be "funny", too?

My note on the "atmospheric, underage ass rape lol" is that it isn't helpful. It doesn't compare what those other bands do well with what Fallujah does to fail, so it basically just reads as sadistic namedropping.

Zodijackyl wrote:
It's kind of like a great death metal band with a lame vocalist, or a great heavy metal band with a drummer who is a bit off time, there's plenty of good there and the good draws attention to the negative.

He makes a good simile, MT. I won't listen to a death metal band whose vocalist I can't stand, and a lot of riffs get wasted this way. If this is your "style", I probably won't read them which seems unfortunate if that means I'll miss good opinions in the process. If you're a good writer, that fact can only be improved upon by deleting the stuff that makes you, yourself, cringe.

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:24 am 

Well, on the good side, if you guys don't read MT anymore then we won't have to read the sandy-vag'd Finn and you complain about it :)

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:37 am 

caspian wrote:
Well, on the good side, if you guys don't read MT anymore then we won't have to read the sandy-vag'd Finn and you complain about it :)

Perish the thought. Such is the extent of dismay expressed here hitherto - may such tragedy never happen again. :roll:

The new Here In After review (MichaelSnoxall) makes essentially good points regarding the band's development and how the album helped in defining the band's legacy sound. However, I think it underestimates the debut's influence. Though it mentions its "almost progressive song structures", the review gives the idea that Dawn of Possession was a fairly standard 1991 death metal affair with some peculiarities, whereas Here In After defined the more complex, more innovative sound. Here In After is more complex and layered, but it's also considerably catchier (the review does mention it's more accessible, but fails to elaborate). It just rocks more, if you pardon the expression, and the dissonant sound that influenced that, erm, "unholy death metal" sound was definitely established on Immolation's debut, if not the demos.

Then, "At times the band delivers dark grooves with Smilowski’s drumming pacing sickening beats that gorge on the syncopated rhythm of the dueling guitars." This is just... :ugh:

"The best example of the music being harmoniously inharmonious [...]"
"The drumming breaks into one of Smilowski’s evil grooves, Vigna’s tremolo-picking sets a brooding scene, and Dolan dishes out his deliciously dark lyrical smorgasbord of blasphemy"

Not such good ideas. Allmusic style description like "dueling guitars" (doesn't actually say anything except that there are two simultaneous guitar parts), or "sickening beats" is really off-putting. You should at least elaborate on that the hell a sickening beat is, and preferably not try to describe such an intricate and complex album with single adjectives.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:08 pm 

Just to be clear, caspian, I'm not writing him off. It's constructive criticism.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 134, 135, 136, 137, 138, 139, 140 ... 520  Next