Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:19 pm 

I am surprised at the low "scores" of a few of the Dodsferd albums... In fact I may write my first review ever about "Spitting with Hatred" That's a great album that's more like a 90% than a 65%... Autothrall always rates shit to low. I will have to say the new Dodsferd album is something I would probably avoid, there's only really 3 songs on it.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:23 pm 

Mr_Allergic wrote:
I also never got over that ridiculous review of Deathspell Omega's album by Kruel.

Yeah that is BS I also disagree with a lot of reviews on their first 2 albums. I'm guessing it's people who first listened to their new "Chaos Metal" stuff and then went backwards to find their Black Metal and when it wasn't what they expected they got grumpy :/

TheLiberation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:46 pm 

Even though I don't know most bands he bashed that well, I'm still completely astonished how any of Kruel's reviews got accepted. The shit he does (and the Deathspell Omega album review is a classic example, and I've never even heard it) is the most brutal rape of the "tell us about the music" rule of reviewing I've ever seen on this site, instead consisting in 90% of total pseudo-ideological bullshit with near-zero music description, which according to him is enough to justify 0% ratings.

Maybe I should also start picking random bands I despise for "ideological" reasons (I guess I could start with Burzum, the easiest target by far) and rant about the "ideology" for 2 A4-sized sheets worth of content - that would be much easier for me than trying to write actual music reviews so why not.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:55 pm 

Don't forget that I'm more serious about review quality than DsO are about ideology. Yeah, Kruel's reviews were accepted and remain on the site. If you submit lame, shitty troll reviews for the sake of doing so they'll be rejected more times than my opinions on Summoning and Illud Divinum Insanus have been criticized.

CrimsonFloyd
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:24 am 

Ilwhyan wrote:
That new De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas review makes my piss boil. Varg should've killed Attila aswell, because his vocals were the album's weakest link? I couldn't read past that. I'll probably write more once I've calmed down.

Edit: I can't really read the review, it makes me angry the instant I try. This guy bought a pirate DMDS that contained something else than the actual album.

Eh, it's a gimmicky way to put it, but the opinion that Attila hurts the album is far from new or uncommon. They've always been divisive. Most either think they're shit or the greatest thing in the history of black metal. I for one agree they sound pretty crappy (expect the operatic vocals on the title track).

TheLiberation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:04 am 

Zodijackyl wrote:
Don't forget that I'm more serious about review quality than DsO are about ideology. Yeah, Kruel's reviews were accepted and remain on the site. If you submit lame, shitty troll reviews for the sake of doing so they'll be rejected more times than my opinions on Summoning and Illud Divinum Insanus have been criticized.

Except what he does are lame, shitty troll reviews, just hidden under a really pretentious bubble. There's near-zero review content in them, just constant whining about how "NOT TRUE METAL" the band/album is.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:45 am 

For the record I would just like to add that I actually like most of Autothrall's reviews, They are interesting and written very well. The only problem I have is that often the words written in the review don't seem to match the rating. At least someone is reviewing a lot of these albums that are criminally unknown, but they could use a little more love (or hate) depending on which one adds to the overall rating. I'm guessing black metal is not his favorite style of metal. I really only read reviews for entertainment and to compare others thoughts to mine since I already know what I like. If I see a 70% rating from Autothrall on a black metal album it usually means it's about a 85-90 in my book.

TheLiberation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:20 am 

I've had the impression that he's simply pretty careful with the ratings, meaning that if he gives something 90+ then it means "seriously fucking awesome", while "really good" is 70+ in his reviews usually. On the other hand, I've seen very few cases of him giving very low ratings, albums which many people tried to burn in infernal fires and which drowned in one-digit ratings usually got 20+ from him. Which makes sense.

But agreed, he's possibly my favourite reviewer, and he manages to be 100% content while keeping the reviews fun and interesting.

Peroy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:37 pm 

TheLiberation wrote:
I've had the impression that he's simply pretty careful with the ratings, meaning that if he gives something 90+ then it means "seriously fucking awesome", while "really good" is 70+ in his reviews usually.

That's the way it should be, imo...

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:58 pm 

If you look at his profile, he explains that decently in the personal comments along with the legend to his grading scale. He also has very particular tastes.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:28 pm 

CrimsonFloyd wrote:
Eh, it's a gimmicky way to put it, but the opinion that Attila hurts the album is far from new or uncommon. They've always been divisive. Most either think they're shit or the greatest thing in the history of black metal. I for one agree they sound pretty crappy (expect the operatic vocals on the title track).

Incidentally, I think Attila's "operatic" vocals are by a margin the most laughable aspect of his performance. He sounds approximately like a yawning retard. His performance, overall, isn't top-notch, and the album could've benefitted if a standard black metal rasp or scream was implemented more (there are only a few lines that do), and I agree that his vocals are the album's weakest aspect. Still, saying that a vocalist should've been killed because their performance was arguably poor makes me seethe, though.

in_human_form
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:19 pm 

Anyone else find it amusing that erebuszine seems to be reviewing his entire collection in alphabetical order?

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:52 pm 

in_human_form wrote:
Anyone else find it amusing that erebuszine seems to be reviewing his entire collection in alphabetical order?

Resubmitting previously published works in alphabetical order. According to his bio, he's done this over 14 years. It would be nice if his punctuation was proper though.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:39 am 

Zodijackyl wrote:
in_human_form wrote:

Resubmitting previously published works in alphabetical order. According to his bio, he's done this over 14 years. It would be nice if his punctuation was proper though.

Yeah that's his only problem, and it's a pain to fix such a simple thing. I remember the first day he popped up in the queue, he had like twenty something reviews from bands Ab-Am. I braced myself.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:51 pm 

I know this is a complaint, but figured this would be the better place to put it.

Anyone else get off-count reviews since that Nickelback day? I did three reviews for the joke and since the page has been deleted the system on the statistics still considers me having 3 extra reviews. On my profile page, it has the correct amount of reviews written.

Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:39 pm 

I wrote my first review. I think I will try some more, but many of them will have pretty high scores as they will be some of my favorite albums by lesser known bands. Any feedback on my first review? I'm not much of a writer, but I try.

Link to my review:
http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/Barshasketh/Sitra_Achra/356061/

EDIT: Should have posted this in the review feedback thread, oh well.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:09 pm 

Sick6Six wrote:
EDIT: Should have posted this in the review feedback thread, oh well.

I'm not clear on that, either .. it's already been accepted and this is a reviews discussion thread, so that's a mod's call.

I thought it was a good first effort! It was passably vague, the musical discussion was pretty general, but it was clear enough and basically did the job. It seemed tentative, but better that than over-written. I'd say just keep at it, if you're into it. Be more specific, flavor with personal reaction and point of view, but the over all simplicity you already have works, I think.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:59 pm 

http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/A ... Doodsvrees

"I'm a big Alice in Chains fan but only heard a couple of songs before this. I bought this album but didn't expect to like it."

The FUCK?

MalignantThrone
Vanished in the Cosmic Futility

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:10 pm 

He says I "have been a big Alice in Chains fan for quite some time now". "Have been". He never said that he considered himself to be a big fan of them at the time before which he hadn't heard much of their material.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:55 pm 

autothrall's Here in After review.
Quote:
The note progressions are somber and vile simultaneously, like lazy Elder Gods slumming around in their pajamas

...the fuck?
Quote:
The rhythm guitars batter you through the first few tracks, and never let up with their ominous chugging and a dark sense of humor.
Dark sense of humour? Ok. Don't the rhythmic guitars batter me anymore after the first few tracks? Can someone please explain.
Quote:
crashing, grooving curvature

Totally.
Quote:
Dolan's bass playing has improved here, maintaining its clearly audible, bottom feeding catfish tone,

Right. Bottom feeding catfish bass.

Peroy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:51 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
autothrall's Here in After review.
Quote:
The note progressions are somber and vile simultaneously, like lazy Elder Gods slumming around in their pajamas

...the fuck?

Elder Gods = vile
pajamas = somber

:P

kybernetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:55 pm 

Haha, yeah I thought he was all kinds of wrong on his take of Here In After. It's a masterpiece of death metal if you ask me, although the one weak point to that album I'd say is actually the production, as it's a bit tamer and quieter than its predecessor Dawn of Possession. The riffs conjure up images of ancient Golgotha when Jesus was being tortured and killed, with demons surrounding him in the shadows, laughing. It's fucking awesome.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:11 am 

Some UltraBoris goodness I came across:

Quote:
Speaking of credibility (Insufferable Blows Thereto department) Break Out is Black Sabbath's foray into disco music. I wish I were kidding. I wish "Black Sabbath's foray into disco music" were just a Regurgitated Cow Fetus song title, with absolutely no bearing in physical reality, sorta like "being anally violated with an entire warehouse". This is worse, because this is true. But it kinda feels similar.

Quote:
Could it be that it was only 20 minutes ago that I was listening to Johnny Blade and thinking "this could be better if the sound engineer's brain hadn't been replaced with antifreeze"? This is some lounge-music shit, and oh how the mighty have fallen.

:lol:

TheStormIRide
Certified Poser

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:20 pm 

When I was first browsing the site, before joining that is, I used to fall out of my chair laughing when reading some of his work. I know a lot of people weren't too fond of his style, but I always thought it was classic.

TheLiberation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:11 pm 

I find his writing to be occasionally hilarious, but unfortunately more often trying far too hard to be hilarious, and very often at the expense of the actual content. If I ever felt like compiling a list of "dumb, pointless reviews bashing albums with very poor arguments", he'd probably own the place.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:03 am 

His jokes can be funny, but I'm certainly not a fan of his reviews otherwise. They're short on description, they're generally more or less track-by-tracks, and give the impression that they were written in a very short time. Many of his reviews have been deleted over time due to lack of content, and there have been complaints that his reviews should be saved (which I can sort of understand for the humour content), but most of them simply aren't very acceptable. The Never Say Die review is alright.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:15 pm 

Quote:
Speaking of credibility (Insufferable Blows Thereto department) Break Out is Black Sabbath's foray into disco music. I wish I were kidding. I wish "Black Sabbath's foray into disco music" were just a Regurgitated Cow Fetus song title, with absolutely no bearing in physical reality, sorta like "being anally violated with an entire warehouse". This is worse, because this is true. But it kinda feels similar.

That's a great one. :lol:

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 8:00 pm 

Can't recall ever seeing him mentioned here, but James III is a solid reviewer with great taste. Good insight on sludge albums particularly. Too bad he doesn't do it anymore.

TheLiberation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 7:11 am 

Speaking of preferred reviewers, I've always liked kluseba's reviews. His reviews are very descriptive and interesting to read, and I like his way of rating which gives low ratings only when they're truly deserved.

enigmatech
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 12:54 pm 

I am bothered by this review: http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/H ... lbackwards

I understand what he is getting at with the "metalcore influence", even though I disagree with it...I feel like he makes too big a deal out of it. He complains about breakdowns when there are literally only two on the entire album, both of which are Death/thrash inspired breakdowns and the connection to metalcore would be laughable if they were placed in a song in one of those genres. I also feel like he makes too big a deal of the "metalcore screams" which only appear in maybe 4-5 songs and only as background style with only a couple words each song.

The most absurd, though, is his attempt to compare the singer to M. Shadows. James-Paul Luna's voice has absolutely nothing in common with M. Shadows. Luna's voice is soaring and epic, and he also has a higher range, whereas Shadows is very nasal and rather monotonous. There is not a single thing in common between the two. If you have to make a comparison between Luna and a metalcore frontman, this guy makes much more sense to me.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 1:05 pm 

@ hells_unicorn

"It's nothing short of a tragedy that this band split up not long after putting together such an impressive array of pioneering albums that have come to redefine the concept of merging mainstream melodic hooks and the consonant beauty of symphonic and operatic common practice period music with the underground aggression of metal."

I'm confused... When did they split up?! :scratch:

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 1:10 pm 

TheLiberation wrote:
Speaking of preferred reviewers, I've always liked kluseba's reviews. His reviews are very descriptive and interesting to read, and I like his way of rating which gives low ratings only when they're truly deserved.

I have to disagree. While he's not as bad as ConorFynes, I feel like he consistently chooses quantity over quality, and I feel his reviews are average at best. I also don't think he has great taste, and the top 100 songs and albums list on his profile is lame, both as an idea and the content.

TheStormIRide
Certified Poser

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 2:24 pm 

dystopia4 wrote:
I have to disagree. While he's not as bad as ConorFynes, I feel like he consistently chooses quantity over quality, and I feel his reviews are average at best.

I completely agree here. It's evident that he is familiar with a lot of material, but many of the descriptions could be interchanged for any type of metal genre. Everything is rather vanillla.

TheLiberation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 2:28 pm 

I've read quite a lot of his reviews and while they weren't uber-ultra-detailed (as that's not what a review is for anyway I think), they gave me a good enough idea what to expect, and simply his way of explaining what works on the album and what doesn't is very clear imo and he always manages to simply talk to the point instead of going overzealous like many, many even quite experienced reviewers.

This could be subjective but two things I hate the most in many reviews on MA are: 1) people going berserk on albums (you can destroy an album so hard it seems like it just got disintegrated without calling the band dicks and the album total shit 20 times; see autothrall), 2) people focusing way too much on sounding cool and ironic instead of the actual content. He manages to avoid both even in cases like Lulu, and that's something I appreciate very much.

And taste is in no way a part of the criteria for a good/bad reviewer. In fact, for me the definition of an amazing reviewer would be someone with the polar opposite of my taste who would be able to make me understand where he's coming from.

Last edited by TheLiberation on Sun May 05, 2013 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 2:30 pm 

Likewise, kluseba's taste is quite opposed to mine, and I think his writing leaves a lot to be desired.

TheLiberation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 2:32 pm 

Well, this is also a different taste in reviewers I guess. :P

[I added a paragraph in the post above as I had forgotten something]

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 9:51 pm 

TheLiberation wrote:
In fact, for me the definition of an amazing reviewer would be someone with the polar opposite of my taste who would be able to make me understand where he's coming from.

RapeTheDead is my reviewer of choice who accomplishes this. He's destroyed albums I love like Bathory's BFD and Amorphis' Tales..., but I'm still able to see where he's coming from since he's very articulate.

As for kluseba, hell no. In regard to defending albums, he was pretty bad.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 10:16 pm 

OzzyApu wrote:
RapeTheDead is my reviewer of choice who accomplishes this. He's destroyed albums I love like Bathory's BFD and Amorphis' Tales..., but I'm still able to see where he's coming from since he's very articulate.

As for kluseba, hell no. In regard to defending albums, he was pretty bad.

This entirely, RapeTheDead and I have very little in common taste-wise, but he's an astonishing writer who is fantastic at supporting his views.

And kluseba is really dry, sparse, and uninteresting in addition to having a baffling taste.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 11:53 pm 

I think I have a little more in common with RapeTheDead taste wise than you guys, but I occasionally disagree with what he says, although he always articulates his opinions well and like Ozzy said you can see where he's coming from. I wish he'd do more reviews, but at least when he does he goes very in depth.

TheLiberation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 6:31 am 

Well, I guess this is a classic case of different approaches and opinions - I've listed why I appreciate his writing, but I can't really do more than that. That's the advantage of having a variety of reviewers here though, there's more to choose from...

I don't think I've come across anything written by RapeTheDead personally, and I think that's a nickname I'd probably remember. :P

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 138, 139, 140, 141, 142, 143, 144 ... 520  Next