Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:44 am 

I would really like more Myrkur reviews, I don't think that band's getting enough attention.

doomster999
Keeper of the Dreary Realm

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:46 pm 

^ Hah! Really don't get all the fuss about that project.
Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

TheStormIRide
Certified Poser

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:27 pm 

Not that I wholly disagree with flightoficarus86's Dalkhu review, as I kind of like the album, it doesn't mention the dreadful, terrible production. I like some murk in my blackened death metal, but it just sounded flat to me. Way too muddy for its own good.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:15 am 

http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/M ... orpe/79624

"...and the end result is one of the best releases I have heard this year. Definitely in the top 10."

Hmm..

Spoiler: show

Glad he is keeping score.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:27 am 

Good thing about Myrkur is that there is a Nausika review so I don't need to read anything else. Her writing is clumsy most of the time but also gets across what I want to know about an album most of the time.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

Lich Coldheart
Stares into the Void

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:02 pm 

Diamhea wrote:
http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/My_Hollow/On_Borrowed_Time/518937/Akerthorpe/79624

"...and the end result is one of the best releases I have heard this year. Definitely in the top 10."
Hmm..

Looks like that guy LOVES music...
I like keeping my sword wet, like a young girl in her prime.

TheStormIRide
Certified Poser

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:39 pm 

Diamhea wrote:
http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/My_Hollow/On_Borrowed_Time/518937/Akerthorpe/79624

Hmm..

That Ara album must be the worst thing on earth if he gave it a 75.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:46 pm 

Yeah, Ichor didn't measure up, either. I wonder what happened!?

SweetLeaf95 wrote:
As much as I'd like to write my own review for Ghost's Meliora, and give my full input about it, I'm gonna skip it. Over time writing reviews has become really boring (hence not writing since June 22), and because i've found it's really tough to write my opinions and descriptions in a way that pleases anyone here.

I can understand that putting in effort when you aren't going to be appreciated is a tax on motivation, but who are you trying to impress? Moreover, why would you skip writing about something you feel you have a lot of input for? Don't just write reviews to check superficial boxes the way clone warriors put patches on their stuff. Represent your point of view. Write when you have something to say. You're smarter than you're giving yourself credit for. Having a thin skin isn't going to serve you.

Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:29 pm 

Sifting through Akerthorpe's reviews, he gave one album (Coathanger Abortion's Observations of Humanity) a 50%. He then said the album should have been aborted.

Quite frankly I haven't read through the review (because his reviews mostly suck), but saying an album should be aborted kinda says to me that the album deserves a single digit score. Even if it is a play on the band name (and it still isn't a good one), it makes no sense.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:18 pm 

:thumbsup: to HeySharpshooter for his "Mist Songs" review of Subrosa's No Help for the Mighty Ones. Happened across the album in a sidebar at random, looked them up, and read it while listening to some of it. The review described well many of the nuances of what to me was limited to "a good first impression." Sort of Dead Can Dance meets Jane's Addiction thing going on here.

The review is a good example of maintaining evocative texture in a concise format.

Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:52 pm 

Grave_Wyrm wrote:
Yeah, Ichor didn't measure up, either. I wonder what happened!?

SweetLeaf95 wrote:
As much as I'd like to write my own review for Ghost's Meliora, and give my full input about it, I'm gonna skip it. Over time writing reviews has become really boring (hence not writing since June 22), and because i've found it's really tough to write my opinions and descriptions in a way that pleases anyone here.

I can understand that putting in effort when you aren't going to be appreciated is a tax on motivation, but who are you trying to impress? Moreover, why would you skip writing about something you feel you have a lot of input for? Don't just write reviews to check superficial boxes the way clone warriors put patches on their stuff. Represent your point of view. Write when you have something to say. You're smarter than you're giving yourself credit for. Having a thin skin isn't going to serve you.

Thanks to this, I think I'm gonna dust off the cobwebs and write one.

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:56 pm 

Yeah basically if you feel you've got something to say about an album, that's the best reason to write one, particularly if you've got a thought no one else has stated. Obviously this means your thought may be unpopular, but hey, at least it'll be interesting and new for people to read.

Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:27 pm 

Yeah, and my ideas aren't terribly different than the few that are here, but I still look at it in a way that not everyone's gonna see. Because I certainly had a lot of thoughts on this one, so I figured it'd be my perfect one to get back into reviewing.

Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:28 am 

http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/O ... sin/352748

On a new note, Insin's review of Opeth's "Ghost Reveries" stood out to me. Fantastic description of this. Not sure I'd rate it that high, and maybe would trim some fat off, but overall I rather enjoyed this review.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:50 am 

Probably going to pick up the new Motorhead this weekend, so I'm glad to see TheStormIRide's excellent review (in both content and positivity). Sounds killer.

TheStormIRide
Certified Poser

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:08 am 

Thanks Empyreal. It's definitely their best in years, which is impressive despite Lemmy's apparently failing health. Really glad I saw them live a few years back (with Dio and Maiden no less!).

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:17 pm 

If it's better than Aftershock, it'll definitely be in some year's-end lists in December. Can't wait.

TadakatsuH0nda
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:00 pm 

SweetLeaf95 wrote:

I actually quite liked your most recent review for Lonesome Crow. The summary was thorough, and it provided for me a nice straightforward description of the music present on the album. I also liked the mention of Taken by Force too, such an awesome album that's not talked about nearly as much as it deserves to be with a mere 4 reviews, I'll likely be adding a review to it in the near future.
------------------------------------------------------------------
Japanese Metal Forum

Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:59 am 

TadakatsuH0nda wrote:
SweetLeaf95 wrote:

I actually quite liked your most recent review for Lonesome Crow. The summary was thorough, and it provided for me a nice straightforward description of the music present on the album. I also liked the mention of Taken by Force too, such an awesome album that's not talked about nearly as much as it deserves to be with a mere 4 reviews, I'll likely be adding a review to it in the near future.

Thank you! And yes, that is easily one of the best albums by them, I look forward to reading yours if you add it soon. I may get to that myself.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:10 am 

TadakatsuH0nda wrote:

From the review:

Quote:
I swear that "Leave Me" uses a train whistle as an instrument in that one.

Do you mean the guitar noise towards the beginning? lol

DawnoftheShred
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:38 pm 

When I was a kid, I used to dislike the Rolling Stones song "Can't Get No Satisfaction" because they used a saxophone instead of a guitar as a rhythm instrument, not realizing until years later that that's what a fuzz box sounds like lol.

Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:50 pm 

DoomMetalAlchemist wrote:
TadakatsuH0nda wrote:

From the review:

Quote:
I swear that "Leave Me" uses a train whistle as an instrument in that one.

Do you mean the guitar noise towards the beginning? lol

I really don't think that's a guitar. I have no idea what it is but it is kinda neat. Also someone needs to tell me how to quote only part of what somebody said rather the entire thing.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:10 pm 

SweetLeaf95: When you hit quote, it gives you the entire post. Highlight and delete the portion you want to take out.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:26 pm 

SweetLeaf95 wrote:

I really don't think that's a guitar. I have no idea what it is but it is kinda neat. Also someone needs to tell me how to quote only part of what somebody said rather the entire thing.

It's definitely a guitar. Whether it's an actual note/chord or just feedback I don't know, but it's definitely guitar. There might be some wah or some other effects on it.

Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:32 pm 

Grave_Wyrm wrote:
Highlight and delete the portion you want to take out.

Thanks! (tested it on this one). I also don't know how people quote the reviews.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:42 pm 

Copy paste and add in the quote HTML code you'll find bracketing anything quoted using the button, most likely.

TheStormIRide
Certified Poser

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:30 pm 

How did Gespenster review the new Vattnet Viskar without mentioning the cover art?

http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/V ... ter/313583

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:32 pm 

TheStormIRide wrote:
How did Gespenster review the new Vattnet Viskar without mentioning the cover art?

http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/V ... ter/313583

Well yeah, it sucks but you don't have to mention everything about the album if it's not relevant to the author. I guess the review is long and a bit about the artwork could had been cool. He decided to talk more about the lyrics and that's fine.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:47 pm 

TheStormIRide wrote:

I know what you mean. Pretty sure the only way I would have been able to manage that is if I'd never seen it.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:08 pm 

If I see another review that shoehorns in passive aggressive denouncement of "kvlt" / "trve" elitists using that exact spelling, or some working of it, I will insta-reject. :getout:
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:15 pm 

Liked Jophelerx's review of Tiamt's Clouds quite a bit. Clouds rocks my shit, and I'm glad to see it getting a little love.

Obligatory Last FM Link

TheStormIRide
Certified Poser

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:11 pm 

Grave_Wyrm wrote:
I know what you mean. Pretty sure the only way I would have been able to manage that is if I'd never seen it.

That's what I was getting at. That's one of the most ridiculous covers I've ever seen, at least from anything remotely connected with black metal!

Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:55 am 

Diamhea wrote:
If I see another review that shoehorns in passive aggressive denouncement of "kvlt" / "trve" elitists using that exact spelling, or some working of it, I will insta-reject. :getout:

Why are you so anti-passive aggressive?

sushiman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:20 am 

TheStormIRide wrote:
Grave_Wyrm wrote:

That's what I was getting at. That's one of the most ridiculous covers I've ever seen, at least from anything remotely connected with black metal!

Perhaps his loud silence on the matter is its own comment!

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:17 am 

TheStormIRide wrote:
Grave_Wyrm wrote:

haha .. If I ever listen to the album, I won't be able to help spending most of the time sifting the music for cover-art relevance.

SweetLeaf95 wrote:
Why are you so anti-passive aggressive?

Is that a rhetorical question? ;)

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:54 am 

GuntherTheUndying wrote:
Liked Jophelerx's review of Tiamt's Clouds quite a bit. Clouds rocks my shit, and I'm glad to see it getting a little love.

Thanks a lot dude, it's been a favorite of mine for a long time. I got into Tiamat through 'Prey' and then got around to checking Clouds, I loved 'A Caress of Stars' at first listen and the rest came quickly enough. I dunno if it's an underrated album, but definitely overlooked, I rarely hear it mentioned.

KaiKasparek wrote:
Every Ozzy solo up to No More Tears is essential USPM

Jophelerx wrote:
If you think heavy metal and USPM are the same, why use the term USPM at all?

KaiKasparek wrote:
Exactly.......

TheStormIRide
Certified Poser

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:45 pm 

Cheers to Daemonium_CC for the Neurosis review. It had me revisiting the album today.

http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/N ... m_CC/63970

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:05 am 

The new BaN review is surely close to being oven fodder material right? Doesn't explain a damn thing, just tries to justify a legacy and "being monumental" in a really needy fashion.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:20 am 

Indeed it is most meh. I'm not clear on what the music is going to be like other than it will give me an encephalectomy that I have to clean up myself!

four song streak marks .. :ugh:

sushiman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:39 am 

"...in a really needy fashion", made me smile. I think that's one of the best reviews of a review I've seen in here yet.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 231, 232, 233, 234, 235, 236, 237 ... 521  Next