Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:50 pm 

Well it isn't incorrect; benzene is a hydrocarbon and polystyrene is a plastic.

Tengan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:27 am 

True. Polystyrene is also a hydrocarbon though and consist of phenyl side group, ergo making styrene a benzene derivate. Bottom line, the title is technically correct but still weird and confusing.

Master_Of_Thrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:52 am 

Yeah, I know that. It's the redundancy that's getting to me. Just imagine going around and saying plastic polystyrene, hydrocarbon benzene, crude oil derivative gasoline, etc. It just doesn't sound right.

Last edited by Master_Of_Thrash on Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stainedclass2112
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:12 pm 

Is the title a reference to the lyrics that I'm just not getting? When I saw the review I was racking my brain trying to figure out why he entitled it as such.

Lich Coldheart
Stares into the Void

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:48 pm 

Shoutout to Felix 1666 for his Dark Funeral review which contains a very satisfactory and accurate description of the music and is well-written and easy to read. Way to go, Felix!
I like keeping my sword wet, like a young girl in her prime.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:10 am 

Great Zelkiiro quote from his Hardwired review! I'm trying to finish mine right now.
Quote:
the fact that in 2016 we have a Metallica album that not only doesn't suck (YOU HEARD ME, YOU TRYHARD EDGY TEENAGE FUCKS)

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:02 pm 

I don't think the album is great, but it hurts my soul to see it with such a lower average than its truly terrible predecessor. If anything I wish 2-3 people threw some negative reviews at Death Magnetic, I don't really think there's a 75% level of appreciation for the album among the metal community?

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:39 pm 

I've actually considered reviewing Death Magnetic but the few times I started, I wound up just scrapping it because I found myself basically just rewriting what OSS said about it. I know this is a huge section to quote, but it really encapsulates every single criticism I can give the album, and as far as I'm concerned it pretty much renders every other review for the album obsolete:

OlympicSharpShooter (emphasis mine) wrote:
For this album is the first since the self-titled to be exactly as it appears. There is none of the intriguing collision of personality that made Load and St. Anger so fascinating, no experimentation that reveals itself gradually over many listens, no question as to what the intentions of this seventy-four minute marathon are. Metallica have simply been kicked in the teeth so many times that, finally, they have acquiesced to the begging of their fans and gone somewhere they’ve already been before. Your bitching has finally broken them and, at times, it does almost seems like a good thing to have a new Metallica album to pop into the player and just listen to without feeling challenged to find reason (or even justification). It’s familiar ground, with that Metallica smell you’ve known since puberty, something like cummy sweatsocks, incense and vodka. But alas, such familiarity is a breeding ground for the blackest of contempt.

Metallica have waxed and waned in ways both subtle and profound since they last cut a thrash record, and with Death Magnetic they’re playing to strengths that have atrophied significantly in the past twenty years. It was unfair to compare Load to Master of Puppets because in every respect they were meant to be different records; Death Magnetic so adamantly slots itself in next to their original masterpieces that it’s impossible to judge the album in vacuum. Where classic Metallica songs were often long, it was because each track was stuffed to the brim with ideas, ideas paced to perfection, seldom overstaying their welcome and each inspiring headbanging satisfaction like few other bands ever could. Death Magnetic songs are long because old Metallica songs were long, and people really like old Metallica songs. Songs as swollen as Ulrich’s prostate are the order of the day here, the chugging amelodic “Disposable Heroes” seemingly being the primary template for interminable bores like “The End of the Line” and “Broken, Beat & Scarred”. I’ve heard it said that every song here feels two minutes too long, and while that’s not always true, on an album this long that’s probably accurate as a rough average. And God… look away from “The Day That Never Comes”, one of the most baffling choices for a single 2008 has yet seen.

It’s easy enough to draw further analogues to the length issue in every aspect of this record. There were instrumentals on old Metallica albums because the band had compositional ideas that were ill-suited to conventional song formats, so they wrote pieces that were almost classical in scope and construction. The new one has an instrumental because they always used to do instrumentals, and as a result the battery-drained “Suicide & Redemption” winds up a bigger waste of ten minutes than anything they've previously coughed up, in spite of some Hammettian heroics. At least “All Within My Hands” and “Invisible Kid” were fascinating car wrecks. Hetfield’s lyrics used to be angry because his life was in turmoil, a turmoil caused in part by the grating falseness of ‘80s popular culture. By now, you can guess why the lyrics are angry on Death Magnetic. This piffle isn’t the work of the lyricist who so memorably blossomed on Load; it’s that same lyricist twelve years later, denied artistic relevance and reduced to lines like “Searched the seas of gold/How come it’s got so cold?”. Hell, even the overly loud, bass-less production might be some kind of perverse throwback to their earlier work.

There's absolutely nothing else I (or anybody really) can add to that, that's exactly why the album is a disappointment despite there being things that I really like (like the groove of Broken, Beat, and Scarred and the entirety of All Nightmare Long).
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

thrashmaniac87
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:53 pm 

From the new Tempo of the Damned review.

Quote:
and the kickass political lyrics that Megadeth wishes it could be! "I'm not a patriot, just a hate-triot!" Hell yeah!

I don't think I've ever actually heard anyone praise that particular lyric. It usually receives laughter and ridicule.

untappd: patrick_g

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:15 pm 

thrashmaniac87 wrote:
From the new Tempo of the Damned review.

Quote:
and the kickass political lyrics that Megadeth wishes it could be! "I'm not a patriot, just a hate-triot!" Hell yeah!

I don't think I've ever actually heard anyone praise that particular lyric. It usually receives laughter and ridicule.

Especially since it in turn led to a Zetro-led band with a dumb name like Hatriot. Makes me want to call it Hat Riot, a band about rioting hats.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:55 pm 

Wilytank wrote:
Makes me want to call it Hat Riot, a band about rioting hats.

Isn't that essentially the plot of Team Fortress 2? Hats controlling humans and going on a killing spree?

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:01 pm 

It's also a summary of Gorgoroth's early career.

Lich Coldheart
Stares into the Void

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:18 pm 

droneriot wrote:
It's also a summary of Gorgoroth's early career.

Gorgoroth's Hat fucking rules.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:29 am 

naverhtrad and Crossover have been putting out excellent reviews. Both of them are descriptive while still being concise and talk about the strengths or weaknesses of what they're reviewing in a really well-written, organized manner that flows like a review should. And they're both reviewing excellent stuff - naverhtrad on Threshold is great as that band can never have too much attention, and Crossover is tackling a bunch of obscure power/prog I've never heard of, so I'll have to check some of this out myself. Definitely recommended if you want to read some MA reviews.

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:30 pm 

I liked Crossover's review of that Superior album (glad I'm not the only person out there who likes that band). I'd be pretty happy if he reviewed Thought Sphere sometime.

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:01 am 

Random question for Empyreal about his Serious Black review: I'm guessing you reviewed the regular edition rather than the limited edition based on the songs you mentioned? What are your thoughts on how the band split the two versions? I feel like making the limited edition almost twice as long is totally disingenuous.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:05 am 

Spiner202 wrote:
Random question for Empyreal about his Serious Black review: I'm guessing you reviewed the regular edition rather than the limited edition based on the songs you mentioned? What are your thoughts on how the band split the two versions? I feel like making the limited edition almost twice as long is totally disingenuous.

I didn't hear the limited edition just because you have to buy it and it's like 20 bucks or some shit. I wasn't willing to pay that much for it. Maybe if it was $10 I would have. Same thing for the debut which also had a bunch of bonus tracks - but I couldn't justify paying like $25 or something, as I barely ever listened to it after the initial hype wore off. Just not good enough to warrant paying that much honestly.

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:50 am 

Empyreal wrote:
Spiner202 wrote:

I didn't hear the limited edition just because you have to buy it and it's like 20 bucks or some shit. I wasn't willing to pay that much for it. Maybe if it was $10 I would have. Same thing for the debut which also had a bunch of bonus tracks - but I couldn't justify paying like $25 or something, as I barely ever listened to it after the initial hype wore off. Just not good enough to warrant paying that much honestly.

Ah ok, that's fair. I didn't know if it was available digitally.

The limited edition for the debut isn't as dumb: only 3 bonus tracks and one of them is a cover. But it's pretty out of hand for Mirrorworld. I grabbed it anyways because it ended up being the same price (Canadian pricing is totally out of whack) and it has some good tunes on it, but I don't think you missed a ton. I was more just curious on your perspective of the actual decision to split out so much of the album.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:59 am 

Eh I got it illegally. ;)

I agree with you that it is kind of weird to have so many fucking bonus tracks. Would be interested to hear why they made that decision.

PorcupineOfDoom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 6:00 am 

Interesting Morna review, sc2112. The first album was good but not quite great, so maybe I'll have to check out the second one and see the improvement for myself.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:40 am 

im not surprised that autothrall likes the new sodom the most of any sodom albums since 1990. It sheds the overt slayerisms of the past albums with splatters of modern generic black hence making it "innovative" or "fresh" or something.
It is a better album than the previous 2 but its still kind of a boring record. I'll take everything they did till 2007 including the final sign of evil way over it though. And yeah what the fuck is up with that review title.

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 2:01 pm 

I'm still gonna review it, as Tony has asked me to and I feel obligated to give my input, but just gotta say that dystopia4 has the best review of Aureole's Aurora Borealis of all time. It says exactly what I want to say.

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018
Live young, die free. Gone, but not forgotten.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 6:07 pm 

Thanks! Felt a little bad because Markov's a (internet) friend, but it just wasn't very good. Looking forward to yours and I hope Caspian still does his as well.

~Guest 193166
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:53 am 

Does anyone else cringe when they read their own reviews, even outright dislike them? Is this just me? For some reason even the reviews that I believe I actually wrote well I still somehow cringe at them for what I can only describe as a pretty tangible cheesiness (in all honesty) while simultaneously thinking that they are good. What dissonance all at once.

I might take this a stage further: how often have you considered just deleting all your reviews all the sudden after reading them?

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:03 am 

Nah, every time I read my reviews I want to etch them in solid gold and hang them on a wall.

But seriously, it's not too big a deal - just practice writing more if you feel they are bad and want to do better. Everyone is ashamed of something they did when they were younger.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:06 am 

I'm not exactly where I want to be, but my writing has gotten to the point where I don't feel like that anymore. Everything mid-2013 or earlier I try to avoid looking back on. Recently read some of my 2010/2011 reviews and holy shit, just horrible.

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:28 am 

caspian re: Theocracy's Ghost Ship wrote:
Well, if you've ever wanted an album that makes Time I sound like an early Discharge 7", you've found it.

So great.

Renardmul89
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:56 pm 

I enjoy bayern's obscure thrash choices, but his reviews are a bit overlong and riddled with strange, frankly made up words.

Felix 1666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:12 pm 

Just two probably stupid questions.

As far as I remember, once there was a 75% review (by Lich Coldheart?) for "Thrash or Die", why was it banished? Furthermore, does it make sense to write the tenth 0% review?

I do not know the album and I do not intend to change this, but how can it be that 10 people do not even see a modicum of fairly acceptable sequences.

Lich Coldheart
Stares into the Void

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:22 pm 

Felix 1666 wrote:
As far as I remember, once there was a 75% review (by Lich Coldheart?) for "Thrash or Die", why was it banished?

It wasn't banished. It's just I was no longer happy with the way it turned out so I took it down. There's a new draft waiting to be written some day.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:53 pm 

Lich Coldheart wrote:
It wasn't banished. It's just I was no longer happy with the way it turned out so I took it down. There's a new draft waiting to be written some day.

Hi, Lemiserable.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:32 pm 

Not even. LeMis took everything down whenever his views were challenged and he was a hardened pro when it came to passive aggressive whining. Lich just not being happy with his own work is fine and nowhere near as insipid.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

stainedclass2112
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:28 pm 

I actually had my own 0% up there for it. I took it down as well because I admittedly did it just for the shits and giggles. I feel that all of those zeroes are indeed hyperbolic though (including mine). It's an atrocious album, but there is worse. I think I'd give it some points ONLY for how hilarious the song "Wake up and Smell the Thrash" and its video is.

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaake Up!!!

And smell the Thrrraaawwwwhhhhssshhh!

Oh and speak of the devil, there's another one up.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:47 am 

Ah and here I thought I did well in the review trying to explain how it is indeed not hyperbolic - hearing a single song off the album once isn't all that bad at all, but the album as a whole just gets more and more excruciating with each song. That review from yesterday though does seem to be since the guy just describes it as a bad retro thrash album, which would be fine with 20-30%.

Lich Coldheart
Stares into the Void

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:57 am 

Diamhea wrote:
Hi, Lemiserable.

It's not the positive nature of the review that made me take it down. Even though today I might not rank it 75% it's still somewhere above 50%, so still a positive score. I couldn't give less of fuck if my review is lost in a sea of 0's but if I don't like its content (context, description... etc) that I take it down no matter what.
BastardHead wrote:
Not even. LeMis took everything down whenever his views were challenged and he was a hardened pro when it came to passive aggressive whining. Lich just not being happy with his own work is fine and nowhere near as insipid.

Thanks. I never received negative feedback regarding that particular review and I can't see why anyone'd thing I took it down for such reasons. My Pagan Warrior 88 review, for example, is still there even though I received tons of shit for it.

stainedclass2112 wrote:

Yeah, I can understand giving your own thoughts on Penis Metal (scores are varied, opinions are a little varied, too i.e someone's interpreted the chaotic sound in some way, someone else might be pointing out a relation between the music and the cover art or some goddamn hilarious line etc, not too mention that we're talking about the Phallic King himself :lol: ), but the 10th 0 for Thrash or Die is as boring as Super Collider.

droneriot wrote:
Ah and here I thought I did well in the review trying to explain how it is indeed not hyperbolic - hearing a single song off the album once isn't all that bad at all, but the album as a whole just gets more and more excruciating with each song.

Your review is well done imo but as long as it has metal riffs and it's not a shitty NSBM demo I can't understand how an album can get a 0%. I mean... not even 1%?

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:59 am 

Trashing albums just for fun and to be on the bandwagon is fucking stupid and juvenile and makes you look like a cunt. Don't do it. By the time there's multiple zero reviews we get it the album sucks. But now you're number 10+ of generic hyperbolic shite. It's stupid and undermines the whole review system.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:17 am 

The whole give Enmity and Waking the Cadaver 0% bandwagon is so fucking lame. The majority of people who have done that for WtC don't even seem to understand the style they're reviewing.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:05 am 

stainedclass2112 wrote:

Jesus, these people need to give it a rest. At least droneriot is a good enough writer to have a point of view besides 'what am I hearing.' This is just pointless.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:34 am 

dystopia4 wrote:
The whole give Enmity and Waking the Cadaver 0% bandwagon is so fucking lame. The majority of people who have done that for WtC don't even seem to understand the style they're reviewing.

This touches on a somewhat recurring argument regarding the credibility of reviews on styles that the reviewer doesn't listen to, or even more or less categorically dislikes. I think it makes no sense to dismiss reviews based on the idea that the reviewers aren't into the style, especially in the case of bands like Enmity, the style itself can be considered to encompass largely anything that one could normally point out as being a flaw. If the reviewer isn't completely uninformed about the general genre (in this case, I think death metal would be an appropriate enough blanket), it should be absolutely fine. If they rated it 0% and justified their rating properly, that should be good enough. Otherwise you get to the point where you can handwave away any criticism by accusing the critic of not understanding the charm of the style, and arguing that everything that's being critcised is simply a part of the particular brand of music. Even Lossoth becomes unassailable, because you just don't understand it.

Even if you get a 0% review for, say, None so Vile, by a reviewer that's completely unattuned to death metal and especially it's more brutal variants, it's still a valid review if the perceived flaws are properly described and the rating justified. It's entirely up to the reader to make their assessment of how well the reviewer's tastes relate to their own. For example, there are some reviewers that I find useful for finding music I like, because certain things they absolutely dislike tend to go down rather well with me.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:23 am 

Of course reviewers can venture into styles they're not particularly well versed in (although I do think they should be upfront about it), but for WtC it seems like people are using it as a platform to attack a style as a whole and are just picking the most prominent band as the means to do so - they're not even particularly bad for the style they play and there's certainly far worse (not to say I care for them). I'm not trying to say if someone doesn't know all about the genre they're reviewing their opinion is inherently worthless.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 298, 299, 300, 301, 302, 303, 304 ... 522  Next