Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
TheStormIRide
Certified Poser

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:27 pm 

Congrats on the milestone, Dystopia! I'm twenty away from 200 and closing in on seven years here.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:31 pm 

Hey dystopia I just read the review. That one indent for the first sentence of the third paragraph was off and there was no namedropping "Clockhands..." which is my favorite song off the album, but overall I enjoyed it. Definitely has the urban, nightmarish vibe to it.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Maniac Matis
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:13 pm 

Just read Empyreal's review of Diminishing Between Worlds.... :annoyed:

Decrepit Birth definitely are not some monumental and highly-original Tech Death band by any means, but god damn man, this 5% review is absurd! Calling DBD "half-assed" is what made Chuck Schuldiner roll over in his grave! Not the creation of this fine album. Admittedly, it's definitely not something I can listen to on a daily basis or even frequently, really, but it is impressive, and I genuinely enjoy moments of it.

Aside from calling it semi-generic music, which I will agree with to a certain extention, I think this is what offended me the most in your review: "lame 'insightful' lyrics that will inevitably get praised for being "more than the usual gore-fest lyrics!" by people who don't know what they're talking about. Where's the anger? Where's that bubbling, vile, putrid sense of hatred that should seep from this like toxic bile from a rusty, skull-and-crossbones can?" What the HELL is lame about being insightful??? Gore lyrics have been done and beaten to death (no pun intended) in metal too many god damn times, and quite frankly it doesn't do anything for me anymore, when it comes to newer death metal bands. "Great, you're just trying to be like Carcass, Obituary, Cannibal Corpse, PTK-era Kreator, Entombed, etc." is what I think. Bands like Torture Killer and Six Feet Under are prime (and horrid) examples of this kind of uninspired thinking. At least Decrepit Birth is trying to do something different, and while most of their music isn't -especially-memorable on that record, it still has it's great and highly memorable moments like The Enigmatic Form. I don't know though, I guess everyone's got their own opinion when it comes to extreme metal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Unng. I'm ThRoBing

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:55 pm 

I disagree with that review for a few reasons (I like salad shooter tech death and I think Decrepit Birth's heavy focus on melody helps them stand out a ton), but he is on to something with that line about the lyrics, and you pretty much just proved it definitively with your post. There are a lot of people willing to give bonus props to lyrics for simply not being something they weren't trying to be. I get it's a personal preference and maybe you just don't like gore lyrics, but you just implied that their lyrics were inherently better or more interesting simply because of what they aren't. They could still be written like shit (I've never looked them up, personally), but the fact that it's a slightly atypical subject matter shouldn't really be reason for praise alone. It's like saying I deserve to be in charge of the Department of Homeland Security simply because I'm not a terrorist.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:27 pm 

Trying to be something different is good, and I don't think there's much wrong with philosophy and introspection on principle. Chuck's lyrics on the later Death stuff are awesome to me. But like BH said and I originally put in the review, a lot of people just OBSESS over "being different" and will hail anything even slightly different as better, even when it's a bunch of gobbledegook like a lot of modern tech death lyrical themes tend to be. Just being different alone isn't enough to be good, or even better than "generic" in a lot of cases. You have to really have something to say, have a reason for being different.

Maybe 5% was harsh, maybe I'd give it 20% or 30% on my current scale. But I still stand by the actual words in the review. I think it's a lame album full of derivative nonsense that can't even touch the better techy bands. I know a lot of people like that album but I never got into it and I pretty much dislike everything about it, same for We Are the Nightmare by Arsis. Those albums embodied everything I didn't like about that kind of music back in the day. Now of course I just wouldn't bother with that stuff though. Pretty much all the criticisms you raised, Maniac Matis, can just be answered in the review though. :p Just going to have to agree to disagree.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:49 pm 

MutantClannfear wrote:
Wilytank wrote:
Do you really care that much about semantics?

Quite rich, coming from the guy who posted in this thread twice solely to point out my use of "or something" in a Portal review ...

By the way, does it work? Swarth as an engine? Can I run my car using "Werships"?

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:56 pm 

Yes. Just blast it extremely loudly, park your car in the middle of the highway, hide in the trunk and wait for your car to be towed.*

*this method requires your desired destination to be relatively near the local impound lot

Maniac Matis
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:20 pm 

Yeah, I suppose I did prove it with my post, heh. I honestly have never read much into Decrepit Birth's lyrics, but I know they are heavily influenced by post Spiritual Healing era (especially TSoP) Death, Cynic, Atheist, all good influences! And I agree, I hold Chuck's lyrics deep to heart, even though they are very ambiguous for the most part. I don't disagree with you both across the board, but I definitely do respect artists for standing out from the norm. I guess I hate when bands try to be different just for the sake of being different, though. Which I think is your main gripe with Decrepit Birth, lyrically, at least.

Empyreal wrote:
Maybe 5% was harsh, maybe I'd give it 20% or 30% on my current scale

5% is the kind of rating I'd give Supercollider. :-P

Under_Starmere wrote:
Unng. I'm ThRoBing

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:34 pm 

I doubt DB are just trying to be different, I just think people openly praise stuff like that JUST because it's different, not because it actually resonates with them or whatever. I don't know you personally, but that's what it comes off as when people say "well the lyrics are AT LEAST not the usual gore crap"...and other things.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:43 pm 

MutantClannfear wrote:
Yes. Just blast it extremely loudly, park your car in the middle of the highway, hide in the trunk and wait for your car to be towed.*

*this method requires your desired destination to be relatively near the local impound lot

:thumbsup:

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:07 am 

caspian wrote:
Ilwhyan wrote:
You certainly don't lack self-regard if you consider your first version to be perfect. In my case, that "working" on reviews stems from not being satisfied with what I've achieved, and the end version is more an abortion, if you will, of the work, rather than a finished piece. With me, it would never finish if I never aborted it.

It's probably moreso a lack of self-consciousness than a high opinion or anything, haha. I guess I just find it funny the amount of worth people put into crafting a review. It's nice reading a good piece of writing (and certainly, your reviews are of a higher quality than mine) but I just use it as a way to blow off steam when I'm incredibly bored, so I always have a bit of a giggle by seeing how passionate some people can get about getting it right.

I used to do notes to albums fairly often back when I was mining, sitting in a control room etc.- but why take notes for albums if you're not getting paid to do it? :D

Well, I'm glad you like them. Personally I can't see much good in them, especially in retrospect, so maybe it's the self-consciousness. It might be more fun to just write fast and be done with it quickly.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:25 am 

Your reviews are great, you're just too hard with yourself!

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

TheStormIRide
Certified Poser

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:57 am 

Lately, I've been trying to do some reviews that are slightly out of my comfort zone. For years I had myself convinced that I did not like death metal or grindcore. By listening to some of the more recommended albums in those genres, I'm really seeing the draw on certain elements. I find it somewhat refreshing to attempt to do a review for a different subgenre than I'm used to.

I've noticed a few reviewers here recently (in the last few months) did a lot of reviews out of their normal routines and I really enjoyed them (Metantoine and MutantClannfear come to mind). Anyways, I've recently done a few death metal reviews and I'm working on a more grindcore oriented release and it's refreshing to tackle something new.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:38 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
Your reviews are great, you're just too hard with yourself!

Thanks Metantoine. :) Though I think that self-criticality is probably the main reason there is any semblance of quality in my writing.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:20 am 

So Ataraxy sound like Swedish death metal now? :scratch:

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:51 pm 

It seems to be the new popular thing in retro OSDM reviewing is no longer calling everything the same as incantation, but not understanding what the basic sound of Swedeath is.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:21 pm 

I actually really like dismember_marcin's reviews. That's probably the first one of his I've read where I really had to question what he heard on the release that I didn't hear; he reviews shitloads of OSDM (both original old school bands and newer bands) and seems to know what he's talking about. Maybe he was drunk when he wrote that one? His mastery of English ain't perfect, and generally I'd say his scores are weighted pretty high, but his enthusiasm and descriptions are great. I always get a kick out of reading his stuff.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:59 pm 

I agree that he's a known positive reviewer of mainly OSDM, but that one is completely off the field. Yeah, maybe he was drunk. :lol:

GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:12 pm 

dismember_marcin is in love with death metal, and his enthusiasm and detailed descriptions are often unmatched. He knows what he's talking about. I've found A LOT of good stuff reading his reviews.

Obligatory Last FM Link

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:14 pm 

I only wish his English/grammar/formatting were more consistently better. I've had to reject a few of his things for reasons like that, which sucks because he's definitely one of the most notable reviewers in terms of giddy enthusiasm. Basically the UltraBoris of death metal.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:06 pm 

The UltraBoris of death metal - perfect way to put it. I completely agree, his English is brutally terrible but his enthusiasm and ability to capture the essence of it despite a poor grasp of the language is great. He's one the oldschool fanzine style reviewers whose style never gets tiring because of his constant enthusiasm and ability to make even longer reviews feel shorter, but he manages to get more content into them. He gets the job done very well, and honestly, I would rather read reviews in choppy English that glow with enthusiasm than most of the longer commentaries that I see.

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:58 pm 

I actually only recently discovered dismember_marcin's handiwork, and I ended up looking into Disma's work based on his raving reviews of "Towards The Megalith" and "The Vault Of Membros" demo. I've been on a bit of an OSDM craze myself lately and I think I'll give his reviews a bit more attention for some suggestions on new material, though currently I'm cycling through a bunch of early 90s material that I don't think he's covered as of yet. He's definitely enthusiastic and his style of writing has a good overall flow, despite the limited linguistic usage and flawed formatting.
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio (July 14, 1942 - May 16, 2010)

MetalCuresHeadaches
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:56 am 

So I'm running into a roadblock while trying to craft a review for a 4-way split. I'm finding that the coverage for certain groups is much shorter in comparison to the rest, and it looks sloppy. I really just can't find a good way to say "This band delivers some run of the mill tracks" without essentially skimming over that groups offering to the split.

BastardHead wrote:
Everybody sucks, especially you.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:13 am 

A 4 way split as a first review? You're courageous. My only recommendation is to try to describe each band within your own limits, that's not the end of the world if there's a band with a larger coverage but try your best to make them somewhat equal, if you think it's run of the mill, explain why. I only reviewed 1 split though as I don't quite like them so take that advice with a grain of salt.

I'm thinking of starting a series of reviews about French doom, might be interesting!

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:17 am 

MetalCuresHeadaches wrote:
So I'm running into a roadblock while trying to craft a review for a 4-way split. I'm finding that the coverage for certain groups is much shorter in comparison to the rest, and it looks sloppy. I really just can't find a good way to say "This band delivers some run of the mill tracks" without essentially skimming over that groups offering to the split.
Hey, if stuff's boring, then stuff's boring. Don't force yourself to write more about stuff that's boring. If you really want to do some padding, you could try mentioning things like how the positioning of each band on the split contributes to the overall vibe of it and how each band's sound balances against the adjacent bands' sounds. Compare the bands to each other, specify which band is the fastest, harshest, heaviest, weakest etc. of the bunch and explain why. Here's an example of someone else doing a review similar to what you're proposing so you can see how they went about it: http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/C ... 71/Noktorn

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:26 am 

GuntherTheUndying wrote:
dismember_marcin is in love with death metal, and his enthusiasm and detailed descriptions are often unmatched. He knows what he's talking about. I've found A LOT of good stuff reading his reviews.

On a regular day I would easily agree with you. However, saying that Ataraxy sounds anywhere near Swedish DM is a factual inaccuracy. So although I can find his reviews interesting and concede that he has an extensive knowledge of what's what in DM he still took that one out of his ass. Sorry but no such amount of enthusiasm can mask the fact that he's completely off with how that EP sounds like.

But do take a peek and tell me if that reminds you of Dismember. :p

xexyzl
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:13 pm 

RapeTheDead, I know you don't post in here too often, but if you check this thread anytime soon I just wanna say how stoked I am by your Summoning reviews. Much like Summoning themselves, they seem to be getting better and better. Barring a few spelling mistakes, the Let Mortal Heroes Sing Your Fame review is your best thus far I think. Of course, since Oath Bound is my favorite and I get the impression that it's not yours, I may not be as thrilled with your next one :P

But regardless, I've really enjoyed reading them, getting new perspectives and context on the band's evolution, and can't wait to read more.

RapeTheDead
Stoned Jesus

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:48 pm 

Wow, thanks dude, that's really appreciated! It's been really fun exploring every single release in Summoning's discography and knowing somebody else gets enjoyment out of reading my dissections is one of the best feelings in the world. I just submitted my Oath Bound review, it's going to feel really strange when I wrap up the final words to Old Mornings Dawn because I've been immersed in them for so long and the release of the album was what inspired me to do the series. Definitely going to be taking a break from them after that, it's been over a month and I'm surprised I can still listen to them without being sick of them.

SKYLESS AEONS
SENTIMENT DISSOLVE
HELL IS OTHER PEOPLE

MetalCuresHeadaches
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:11 pm 

Thanks for the feedback there, Toni and MCf. Actually manages to fill out a body for two of the snooze-inducing bands on the split.

I have a bit of an odd question here, but what is the stance on obscenities in reviews on the site? I've done reviews for other (non-metal) music sites that have come and gone, and had mixed reactions.

I've had reviews rejected for the use of words like "fuck" or "cunt", which I don't see being a problem here, but I'm more curious on the stance on using slurs in a review. I've had reviews rejects a number of times for both censored and uncensored use of the word "nigga/nigger" in a professional (to me, anyway) sense, such as reviews on the N.W.A release Straight Outta Compton (the group's name being short for "Niggas/Niggaz Wit Attitude" as well as noting that the frequent use of "nigga" in their lyrics was largely unheard of in mainstream rap at that point), a review of Jay-Z and Kanye West's Watch the Throne collaboration, and its lead single Niggas in Paris, as well as a review on a local one-demo neo-Nazi punk group with the obligatory racism and antisemitism. I see no problem using an unedited slur in the proper context of a review, but I realize not everyone shares that view.

In short, if I review some backwoods NS band, is mentioning slurs in relation to the release/track name or lyrics going to get me banned/demoted/rejected? Or is it just better to censor? Or avoid all together? Rather check now instead of learning the hardway after submission.

BastardHead wrote:
Everybody sucks, especially you.

GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:37 pm 

Liquid_Braino for Amaranthe's The Nexus:

Quote:
Despite Elize being placed front and center on the album's cover as an obvious marketing strategy, she's not the complete focus in regards to the vocals involved here. Amaranthe have different aims. She shares the spotlight with not one, but two male vocalists, going one further than the familiar 'beauty and the beast' approach. What I like to consider this group's vocal designation is a three-pronged attack dubbed 'the beauty, the douchebag and the retard'.

As for their skills, Elize is certainly a capable singer, veering towards a pop-rock delivery that's serviceable but not exactly striking or unique. She plays her 'beauty' role and that's it. Jake is the swaggering cock-rocking clean singer, not in the wild vibrant David Lee Roth sense, but more akin to dudes like Rick Springfield or the guy from Loverboy. He dishes out just enough attitude in that I can imagine that if he ever actually 'gets it on' with Elize, he'd probably tape a picture of himself on her back. Then there's Andy. His 'harsh' contributions are fast barks that remind me of that dog in Frasier's house if it were to completely lose its shit over Frasier's continued mishaps in regards to potential female suitors. Andy should belt out a song called "Just Fuck Roz For Chrissakes!" This guy annoys the crap out of me.

:lol: Holy Christ, gold.
http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/A ... uid_Braino

Obligatory Last FM Link

Last edited by Metantoine on Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.
I added the link to the review 'cause it's indeed hilarious!

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:42 pm 

Hahahaha. Man, that's fantastic. I'm not always wild about super comedic reviews, but when they're for bands I don't really like I'd gladly read something funny instead of something super descriptive.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:18 am 

The Frasier joke is really far-fetched, but funny indeed. Amaranthe, too, deserves all and any ridicule it gets.

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:39 am 

@MCH: The MA has no zero-tolerance policy against racist or sexist slurs, as far as I'm aware, but I'd imagine your review would be rejected if you turned it into a soapbox to talk about your racist beliefs. Simply mentioning the word "nigga", while probably in poor taste, won't get you into any trouble, I'm sure.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:41 am 

I like autothrall's 2 new Dodsferd reviews. Good to see him giving this band some good reviews for a change since I think they are highly underrated. I was actually extremely disappointed with "Breed of Parasites" at first, but it's actually quite excellent once you can appreciate the incredibly well done ambient tracks. Both reviews are spot on and if autothrall reads this I must say you HAVE to check out the new split, even though there's only 2 Dodsferd songs they fucking rule!

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:36 am 

I know that it's probably been ranted about here before, but seriously, any reviewer who can't be arsed to think of a title for their reviews can fuck right off. If you think you have enough to say about an album/EP/single/comp/whatever then surely you can muster enough effort to think of a fucking title. It really is rather ridiculous to look over the reviews for an album and see three reviewers who've just not made any sort of effort. All it says to me is "I'm a boring writer whose work deserves to be overlooked, because I evidently don't care about it".

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:47 pm 

Agreed. If someone can't even be arsed to think of a title, it kind of makes one question how much effort they put into their writing before even reading the review.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:59 pm 

Well for a lot of bloggers that are on this site (not myself), they do the "Band Name - Album Title" format for ease of skimming and organization on their own site, but to just copy-paste it here like that makes it seem lazy. If the review is great, though, then it's unnecessary to harp over it. Still makes me wish there was a better title to a great review, instead of "X - Y".

Also, there's DodensGrav who dislikes it when reviews have titles.
Dodensgrav wrote:
Reviews are not works of art, nor are they articles, or essays, or reports...I find titles for reviews to be, as I said earlier, "a bit pretentious".
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:15 pm 

Roughly 90% of my review titles are impossibly obscure jokes that only I or a very select group of friends will understand, but ya know what? It's better than X - Y titles any day of the week. And if you get the stupid joke, it's super rewarding. I'm like a reviewing Santa Claus.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:34 pm 

My titles are mostly random thoughts or nods to other bands and stuff (if you get my Funeralium title, you're cool). I really hate when there's no titles and I feel like rejecting them!

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:22 pm 

My review titles are almost always an afterthought, but I like a few of them, mostly one-liner shots at the band such as "Help Needed: post-doom-metal duo seeks songwriter"

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 153, 154, 155, 156, 157, 158, 159 ... 520  Next