Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Sepulchrave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:58 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
What's wrong with using "baroque" as a descriptor? It's pretty accurate.

Because the band's imagery and (admittedly "prettied up" and black-metalised) arrangements take a LOT of influence from the Middle Ages. Example, one of the ex-band members pseudonym was Neidhart von Reuental. The interludes on Aria... include the band's own versions of selected pieces from the famous Cantigas de Santa Maria musical manuscript from the 13th century, and a version of a piece by French composer Gautier de Coincy (from the 12th and 13th centuries as well).

Baroque music is something that hadn't existed until the 17th century, and by then there had been many changes in European music already, such as the convenient major/minor key systems we use a lot today. You also had fairly common chord progressions that you wouldn't find at all in the Middle Ages, like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Frq7rjEGzs this kind of stuff ain't on Aria bro

Also it's part of my nature to get nerdy about early European music :P, so sorry if I seemed like a snobby dick to any of you gents.

Last edited by Sepulchrave on Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:02 pm 

If it helps to lower your blood pressure, give me a better word or short phrase to describe that era of music and I'll happily replace it.

Sepulchrave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:22 pm 

Medieval! :D

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:27 pm 

Done. World peace has been restored.

stainedclass2112
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:47 am 

Hey, finally another review for that Death Angel album! Seems like a nice write-up, but something's missing... 7.8/10 not enough HORSE COCK

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:15 am 

zeingard wrote:
Empyreal wrote:
Kind of an odd review by zeingard for that Dawnbringer EP. I thought the EP was pretty good myself, but honestly I don't get why the "10 people who like this band" thing is supposed to be such a damning indictment. It's metal - it's doubtful many bands we talk about here are ever going to be super popular.

It was a joke, mostly based on the fact that I almost never hear about Dawnbringer ever. The first and last time they were brought up was when people got a little too excited about 'Into the Lair of the Sungod' (an album I should probably try to revisit at some point, but I will probably forget...) until I found this EP floating around in a lump of bandcamp links I have bookmarked.

It is not an indictment so few people like/remember the band, but that they will find a way to like the EP despite having no redeeming features. That complaint could be leveled at many fans of nearly every shade of media though.

I just took the bookends to mean that they're a completely irrelevant band and that will never change, nothing wrong with that statement to me. I liked the review plenty, as it helped me understand that Dawnbringer is still piddling away the talent they clearly have with droning nothing-songs. Nucleus had some great riffs but I don't remember much of the album, and Sungod has like one good song and a bunch of mid paced boring stuff. Z's review did the job perfectly because now I know exactly what the album is like and whether it's worth checking out for a guy like me who shares a similar opinion to him on their previous stuff.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:38 am 

I mostly just take objection to the idea that I was somehow deluding myself into thinking the album was good. Not the case at all.

zeingard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:32 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
I mostly just take objection to the idea that I was somehow deluding myself into thinking the album was good. Not the case at all.

If you deluded yourself, how would you know?

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:16 pm 

Well maybe I'm just reaching for defenses here, but isn't that the unspoken implication like half the time you think something is awful? Either you can say it's just not your taste, or you think it's unlistenable/completely worthless crap. If the latter, and it has fans, well you'd have to figure that they're actively tricking themselves since it's not a matter of your taste being the issue, no?
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:48 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
Well maybe I'm just reaching for defenses here, but isn't that the unspoken implication like half the time you think something is awful? Either you can say it's just not your taste, or you think it's unlistenable/completely worthless crap. If the latter, and it has fans, well you'd have to figure that they're actively tricking themselves since it's not a matter of your taste being the issue, no?

I dunno, even if I say I think something is unlistenable or worthless, the implication is still that it's just my opinion and it's all taste, I think. I never really think anyone's actually deluding themselves. Though I realize in cases like the review we're currently discussing, it's a hyperbolic device and just something people sort of do sometimes.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:51 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
I dunno, even if I say I think something is unlistenable or worthless, the implication is still that it's just my opinion and it's all taste, I think. I never really think anyone's actually deluding themselves.

Somebody has clearly never listened to Twelve Foot Ninja.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:04 pm 

The only thing I take from this whole conversation is that BH doesn't like Into the Lair of the Sungod, which makes him an objectively worse person that the rest of us :-P

zeingard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 2:49 am 

Empyreal wrote:
BastardHead wrote:

I dunno, even if I say I think something is unlistenable or worthless, the implication is still that it's just my opinion and it's all taste, I think. I never really think anyone's actually deluding themselves. Though I realize in cases like the review we're currently discussing, it's a hyperbolic device and just something people sort of do sometimes.

Yeah I'm just being a dick at this point. Perhaps it will provoke someone to actually write an opinion that amounts to more than just "Well I think it's good/nice".

Master_Of_Thrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 3:07 am 

Nice review for Hate Eternal, MikeyC. It doesn't sound biased at all and has a respectable amount of explanation. I think the guy on the cover looks more like Ryan Reynolds. :lol:

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:13 am 

Glad you like it, mate. :) I can see nobody but Ben Affleck there, haha.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:39 am 

zeingard wrote:
Yeah I'm just being a dick at this point. Perhaps it will provoke someone to actually write an opinion that amounts to more than just "Well I think it's good/nice".

Perhaps.

Tzitzis wrote:
Hi guys! I've had problem with capitalising song titles/ bands/ albums recently. I've written some reviews and it's the first time I had that problem. So I seek your help in order to see what I do wrong (at last) cause I tried changing again and again without success. Here is a sample:

To give you a blueprint of most songs on the record I am going to say this; it's like early 80's Judas Priest mixed with Queensryche (1984-1987 era) and some Fifth Angel maybe. US power metal influenced generally I would say. I can feel I'm on 80's USA when I hear this record (maybe some Motley Crue influences too?). The band was in USA at the time for some years, so they might got affected by the music being played there. One can easily detect these musical influences in the songs "like thunder, "I'm on fire, "fury", "vision" and "chainsaw" (the intro is like "rapid fire" of Judas Priest). The strongest numbers here in my humble opinion are "I'm on fire" and "fury".

So apparently this is not acceptable. So what is wrong here so I can correct it and don't do it ever again?

Thanks in advance!

Are you wondering where the errors are, or how to fix your poxy computer glitches that foil your attempts to capitalize song titles?

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 1:18 pm 

2Eagle33's reviews, while well-written and detailed, are hard as hell to read. Cut back on the idiosyncratic and complicated syntax dude, it's making my head spin.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 1:25 pm 

Great Horrorscope review by stainedclass2112. I agree with pretty much everything. Closest I've ever come to giving 100% to an album but "Bare Bones" makes the album dip ever so slightly in the middle. The rest is all killer no filler.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

stainedclass2112
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 2:20 pm 

Thanks a bunch, Dia! That means a lot! It's definitely one of my favorite metal albums, my one tiny nitpick would be the ending of "New Machine". I love that song, but the ending kind of drags on a bit. At least in my opinion. I happen to enjoy "Bare Bones" a lot now, especially since I used to dislike it when I first heard the album.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:14 am 

New Machine is one of my favorite OVERKILL songs period, definitely my favorite of their more mid-paced, groovy style

Last.fm

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:27 pm 

colin040 named his Virgin Steele review from last year "Nocturds of Hellfire and Dumbnation." It hit me that he could've made something with hellfire, as "Nocturds of Smellfire and Dumbnation." Then it hit me, he could've gone for the full poop trifecta and called it "Nocturds of Smellfire and Dumpnation."

~Guest 329938
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:54 pm 

D

Last edited by ~Guest 329938 on Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lich Coldheart
Stares into the Void

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:02 pm 

ambientsorrow wrote:
I say this because I always seem to come across bands that generally have albums (or too many albums in general, really) above 90%. Kind of feels like IGN for lack of a better phrase. :D

That's because a lot of people that don't like a certain album don't even bother to review it, which causes the scores to be unbalanced.
I like keeping my sword wet, like a young girl in her prime.

~Guest 329938
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:04 pm 

?

Last edited by ~Guest 329938 on Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lich Coldheart
Stares into the Void

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:08 pm 

ambientsorrow wrote:
Is this something that's being improved on? Or just generally accepted?

Well, nobody is forced to review something they don't wanna review so I'd say it is generally accepted. I'm a bit guilty of this myself because I'd rather not go through all the torment of listening to shitty album just to write a review.

xexyzl
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:15 pm 

Quote:

True, I stopped reading about halfway when there was still nothing but fluff and namedropping.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:18 pm 

That Possessed review is a perfect example of why you shouldn't just fire off negative reviews for stuff that you don't know what you're talking about. Having a few too many 90% reviews might not be very informative but it's better than bullshitty faux-contrarian negative reviews that are poorly reasoned/written.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:37 pm 

Seven Churches "tries to straddle two genres"? Yeah, because death metal definitely was a thing back then, wasn't it? It's not like they're one of the pioneers of the fucking style or anything.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 2:59 pm 

Yeah I only managed two or three paragraphs before the revisionist Borisisms just melted my brain. Exodus was the first extreme band because they formed in 1979, pay no attention to the fact that their recordings in the early 80s were, just like Metallica and Slayer and Anthrax and Overkill and essentially everybody else in the scene at the time, not really exactly what we know as thrash today and was more NWOBHM + Motorhead, but hey ya know, gotta up that thrash cred by claiming that Exodus was all MURDER IN THE FRONT ROW from the 70s onwards. I managed to read the rest of the review and he actually goes on to say that the riffs are very good and the vocals are great. Basically his only complaints are that the production sucks, the drums aren't very good, and the next album was better. I mean, yeah if the production is so bad and the percussion is so sloppy that you find it to be completely unlistenable then sure, go ahead and give it a bad score, but giving it an 18% and making ridiculous claims right at the beginning before kinda backtracking on how bad it is by the end shows that it was written in one go and at least half of it was pulled out of his ass just to make a statement of some sort.

Hey newbies, don't be like this guy. Make sure you know what you're talking about first, that's really my only advice when starting to review, because that alone fixes almost every problem you could have.

EDIT: Relistening to Seven Churches right now for the first time in years (because despite my love for that early style of death metal when it was just extremely dirty thrash with deep growling vocals, I was never a huge fan of it), and it really doesn't sound any different than any other late 80s/early 90s band in that regard. I get the feeling this dude doesn't listen to a whole lot of this genre in the first place if this is too rough for him.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:38 pm 

I just think the cherry on top of this review is the title "You won't like this review." Gee, doesn't sound at all like a plea for attention...

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:50 pm 

Exodus as extreme metal pioneers? On the plus side, at least the review is mercifully shorter than what I expected.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 4:18 pm 

DoomMetalAlchemist wrote:
colin040 named his Virgin Steele review from last year "Nocturds of Hellfire and Dumbnation." It hit me that he could've made something with hellfire, as "Nocturds of Smellfire and Dumbnation." Then it hit me, he could've gone for the full poop trifecta and called it "Nocturds of Smellfire and Dumpnation."

Well I'm glad my reviews are getting recognized in one way or another. :lol:

And yeah, that Possessed review is downright silly. Too much pseudo history lessons and the whole thing comes off as a review to rather piss people off.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:34 pm 

That's the greatest irony in UltraBoris' MoP review; he slags the album off not necessarily because of the music alone, but because of the bad influence it had over thrash (and therefore genres influenced by thrash, I reckon) in how it spawned so much wrongheaded imitation, but this exact thing has happened with that review itself. Every idiot newbie these days comes here trying to out-Boris Boris like it's some cool thing to do. Bring back fanboy gushing and overused 100% scores, please. Also annoying, but at least the previous generation of n00bs weren't trying so hard to be insufferable edgelord assholes.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:08 am 

Yeah and as hyperbolic and ridiculous as Boris' review was, he wasn't exactly wrong in his review either. At the very least, that dude seemed to live and breathe metal and really had a grasp over what he was talking about. He was also before the internet became a big downloading thing, too - the kids imitating him now can just download seven bands' discographies in an afternoon while eating snacks at home and then try to imitate Boris. It's bullshit really. I get the impulse to be funny and edgy, see any of my five or six-year old Cinema Freaks reviews, but you have to know when you're in over your head.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:34 am 

Empyreal wrote:
I just think the cherry on top of this review is the title "You won't like this review." Gee, doesn't sound at all like a plea for attention...

A shit review with a click-bait title.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 6:15 am 

DeadMuse seems promising so far...

Last.fm

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 1:57 pm 

Props to UberNoodle for his Ancient Myth review. Still awaiting my CD in the mail - since the postal strike is delayed, I should get it next week. I may have to get the Japanese digital version too though. God that album is a convoluted mess with all its versions - it was a bit of a pain adding it here and was one of those moments where I really appreciate that multiple versions feature.

raspberrysoda
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:05 am 

Good job Lich and Napalm on the Hermh reviews!

stainedclass2112 wrote:
It was a joke you darn can of fizzy sweetened liquid

BastardHead wrote:
Somebody is getting murdered but poor razz just wants his beauty sleep.

Lich Coldheart
Stares into the Void

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:37 am 

raspberrysoda wrote:

Thanks. :)

Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:22 am 

raspberrysoda wrote:

Why thank you! :thumbsup: Where did your one go?

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 280, 281, 282, 283, 284, 285, 286 ... 521  Next