Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:44 pm 

I'm just going to guess theunrelentingattack approved it.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:56 am 

How about not speculating on this?

sushiman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:13 am 

I only just read Liquid_Braino's September 2013 review of the latest Sirenia record, and really think "Guaranteed closed casket funeral" should be a Cannibal Corpse song title.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:32 am 

sushiman wrote:
I only just read Liquid_Braino's September 2013 review of the latest Sirenia record, and really think "Guaranteed closed casket funeral" should be a Cannibal Corpse song title.

One of his many entertaining euphemisms. Liquid_Braino knows his fuckin' female fronted metal - I would never dare challenge him on anything within that genre.

On a second note, does anybody remember what rating/impression UltraBoris gave Overkill's Immortalis when he attempted one of his comebacks? To my knowledge his newer reviews weren't up to par and swiftly deleted, but I'd love to know what he thought of it.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

sushiman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:24 am 

Diamhea wrote:
sushiman wrote:

One of his many entertaining euphemisms. Liquid_Braino knows his fuckin' female fronted metal - I would never dare challenge him on anything within that genre.

He has certainly kept a closer eye than me on Sirenia since they put out Nine Destinies and a Downfall; funnily enough the years have been far kinder to Veland's former band Tristania, despite having their own stylistic ups and downs.

theunrelentingattack
Not yet ready for a custom title

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:39 am 

Diamhea wrote:
I'm just going to guess theunrelentingattack approved it.

Oh, I did. And let me tell you that I reject just as many as I accept, probably more. While that review isn't spectacular, it does meet our requirements so until you have the power to wade through hundreds of pieces of complete nonsense and then deal with butthurt readers sending you personal e-mails telling you how much of an elitist asshole you are for rejecting their crap, you have no clue what it's like.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:46 am 

theunrelentingattack wrote:

Oh, I did. And let me tell you that I reject just as many as I accept, probably more. While that review isn't spectacular, it does meet our requirements so until you have the power to wade through hundreds of pieces of complete nonsense and then deal with butthurt readers sending you personal e-mails telling you how much of an elitist asshole you are for rejecting their crap, you have no clue what it's like.

I see where you are coming from, and totally agree. From the little work I have done on the report queue I've already tasted the spiteful anguish of slighted contributors. My earlier post may have come off as denigrating in hindsight due to a lack of clarification, and for that I apologize. Just to clarify: BastardHead says "Make bets," I think back to January-February and I remember seeing your name more than anybody's when I got the confirmation emails for my reviews. That was the reasoning why I said that, not to say that you lack comprehension as a review mod. So in conclusion, what I'm trying to say is, thank you for being prompt all of the time when my reviews were pending, and no harm was meant in any way by the earlier post. Hey, at least you found a suitable way to get all of that off of your chest.:bow:

Last.fm

theunrelentingattack
Not yet ready for a custom title

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:54 am 

Haha. Fair enough. Cheers.

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:44 am 

Props to Diamhea for reviewing that Energy Strike. I was a bit surprised to see an obscurity like get reviewed (I just received that CD a week or so ago, actually).

novakm
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:17 pm 

Perdition666 wrote:
Props to Diamhea for reviewing that Energy Strike. I was a bit surprised to see an obscurity like get reviewed (I just received that CD a week or so ago, actually).

I've noticed a lot of quality reviews by Diamhea in general, recently. Keep up the good work!

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:10 pm 

Has anybody else facepalmed as hard as I did for morbert's review of Nightmares Made Flesh?

http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/B ... 73/morbert

Quote:
Just check out the intro to "Outnumbering the Day". Yes, that's exactly what I always loved back in the day. But when the vocals join in the rhythm turns awfully groove metal with some yo-mutha-fuckah riff over it. The horror!

Quote:
One could say this is a refreshing mixture of the old and new. And maybe it truly is. Maybe that is why this is the kind of death metal which the kids really 'dig'. It has enough old school elements to save their reputation yet enough modern groovy ideas to remind them of the days of nu metal when they first heard loud guitars? Who knows?

I'm not one of those people that thinks Bloodbath is some infallible godsend of death metal (even if I've yet to be disappointed in a record of theirs), but this is one of those instances of a review, for me, being objectively, completely wrong.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

J_Ason
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:46 pm 

I actually agree with what he says about Outnumbering the Day; the verse riff does fuck that song in the ass. But I don't see any other example of these bad ideas that the album is apparently filled to the brim with. The only other example he points out, in Bastard Son of God, is in my opinion the best part of the song. I also agree that the song structures don't tend to be particularly creative, but I don't think that does too much to harm the album.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:25 pm 

Perdition666 wrote:

Just call me The Virgin Killer. :guns:

As stated some time ago, I never expect any praise, so cheers for Perdition666 and novakm for going out of their way to mention me.

Last.fm

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:18 am 

Anyone else get really excited for new releases that autothrall gives around a 70% to? I've found that that's the sweet spot for his reviews where the stuff is truly excellent. His 68% review for the new Sargeist has me pretty excited to hear it, for example. Basically, when it comes to him saying, "nothing new/heard it all before, but otherwise good" it means it's fantastic stuff for me.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:45 am 

I do have to admit if I see a 70% by him for an album in a style I dig, I know it will probably be to my liking. As for the new Sargeist, a solid effort, definitely an enjoyable listen. However, all their other full lengths are better (I gave it an 85).

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:13 pm 

I knew these reviews were going to pop up right away, I actually read Autothrall's review on his website last week. I find that Autothrall listens to almost all the same stuff I do and is often the only reviewer of such bands. His reviews are usually accurate in the sound description, but it seems at least I myself have kind of an opposite in taste/opinion. If he gives an album a 65-70 and says it's nothing special it's usually amazing (to me) some of the stuff he's given 75-90 doesn't really do much for me. He's given a few bands like Acherontas and Dodsferd their highest ratings for albums that have a lot of ambient which is really not my thing. He's an excellent reviewer, I just don't really pay attention to the "scores"

I have to say at first I wasn't so sure about the new Sargeist either, but after more listens and at high volume I think it's on par with LTDI. Really don't see any problems in the production, it's honestly really not that "raw" it just sounds like black metal. Do a lot of people just listen to an album once before reviewing it? I don't think that's enough to write anything in stone. I found that listening to an album again while I was actually writing the review also helped a lot, but I just recently deleted all my reviews. BTW Sargeist and Behexen are doing a full USA tour soon! Best news I have ever heard, can't fucking wait!

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:47 pm 

It's clearly not exceptionally raw as far as black metal goes. However, it undeniably takes on a rawer sound than the much more accessible LTDI.

And yes, definitely see them live if you can. They were one of the best bands I've seen.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:24 pm 

dystopia4 wrote:
It's clearly not exceptionally raw as far as black metal goes. However, it undeniably takes on a rawer sound than the much more accessible LTDI.

And yes, definitely see them live if you can. They were one of the best bands I've seen.

Yeah, the sound is somewhere in between the first album and LTDI as I think you said in the review. Probably not as monumental as LTDI to most, but still a killer album that will grow on you if you give it more listens I think. Oh and I will be seeing them live no matter what, possibly in 2 different cities if they pick another venue close enough to Chicago. My neck already hurts thinking about how hard I will be headbanging. Black Fucking Murder :headbang:

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:38 pm 

I got the promo a while back and have given at least 20 listens by now, so I think I've had an adequate amount of listens for it to grow on me. Oh well, I might not like the album quite as much as you but I think we can both agree they're a fucking killer band.

Regarding their live show, when they ended their set with "Let The Devil In" shit just went off. The amount of energy was just insane. The vocalist put on quite a show. Wouldn't want to encounter him in a bar fight, haha (same goes for the drummer, even more so).

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:58 pm 

I actually agree with him about the new Sargeist. I'd give it an even lower score. The drums sound shit and are basically irrelevant, the riffs sound like backup riffs they kept in case the well ever ran dry. It's unremarkable, and Sargeist's worst album. Yawn.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:33 am 

Nightgaunt steps out of the shadows!

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:14 am 

Nightgaunts involvement is the clear highlight

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:54 am 

I was going to get involved but, eh, I backed out. Wasn't feeling up to it.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:00 am 

Ozzy's got some review erectile dysfunction.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:56 am 

OzzyApu wrote:

Pussy.

For anyone interested, it's still time to write a review. The goal is to beat Wintersun as the top reviewed album on the site!

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

sushiman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:30 am 

Zodijackyl wrote:
...this maturation from the band's formative era proves them to be a grower, not a shower.

Nice. In what promised to be (and quickly became) an onslaught of penis jokes, I dig this one for its cheeky subtlety and actual relevance to the review at hand. Autothrall also came through pretty strong in that regard.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:38 am 

I did my best to get my subtle thing in but it is only viewable for myself on my own monitor here.
So im just going to post what i did here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/7u2zp6a6o26cl ... .04.22.png

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:19 am 

RageW has the best one and it's not even a close contest.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:56 am 

I have never heard it, but I'm still gonna do one by the end of the day.

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:56 am 

Yeah Rage wins. I tried for excessive use subtlety, by slipping some kind of penis reference into every single sentence, but in order to do so I had to be a bit too upfront.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:24 am 

Since I got in first, does that mean I ejaculated prematurely?

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:30 am 

BastardHead wrote:

Really? I didn't find that one particularly memorable. Other than Nightgaunt, my vote goes to MutantClannfear or autothrall. Keep 'em cumming, guys! We can beat Wintersun!

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:23 pm 

Razakel wrote:
BastardHead wrote:

Really? I didn't find that one particularly memorable. Other than Nightgaunt, my vote goes to MutantClannfear or autothrall. Keep 'em cumming, guys! We can beat Wintersun!

WHEN YOU SEE IT YOU WILL UNDERSTAND.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:30 pm 

It's not that great, tbh. Each paragraph has the word "penis" formed by the first letters of words in each line, in a diagonal from upper left to lower right.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:37 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
OzzyApu wrote:

Pussy.

Yeah, sorry. Haven't reviewed anything in months and wasn't feeling up to it by the end of it. I did make some notes, but to turn it into a review wouldn't have been enjoyable for the 15 minutes it might have took.

Spoiler: show
From notepad: Old-school Impaled Nazarene, Darkthrone / Sarcafago ~ INRI
Bored at first but began to like it a lot. Got into the riffs, each song is short, very old school feel.
Zero originality but I still enjoy it. No keys, straightforward onslaught of thrashy riffs, curdling screams, and stampeding drums.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:40 pm 

That could've been a review. Toss it into Google Translate, grab the Spanish translation, translate that back to English, then again to Spanish and back to English for good measure. Throw in some jajaja's and some mentions of goats and cereal grain crops and baby, you've got yourself a review goin'.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:01 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
That could've been a review. Toss it into Google Translate, grab the Spanish translation, translate that back to English, then again to Spanish and back to English for good measure. Throw in some jajaja's and some mentions of goats and cereal grain crops and baby, you've got yourself a review goin'.

Easy enough!

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:28 pm 

/golfclap

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:33 pm 

:lol: That review needs to stay. It gives a perfect idea of how the album sounds, isn't that the primary requirement for acceptance?

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:39 pm 

I'm stealing something Doomsday just said to me: From now on you can't become a scribe unless you review Penis Metal, a rite of passage!

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 177, 178, 179, 180, 181, 182, 183 ... 522  Next