Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 2:04 pm 

caspian wrote:
man, that new iron maiden review is fucken atrocious. Seriously dudes? This is what's accepted now?

Yes...

Apparently. :ugh:
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 2:31 pm 

This passage from Acrobat's review of Overkill is extremely insightful:

Quote:
Apparently people need variation spelt out in a very obvious rocker/ballad format with MASSIVE CAPITAL LETTERS or they completely miss it. Honestly, next time you think Motörhead think subtle variation… maybe it’ll get through. But then that’s the problem with your favourite bands, right? When other people listen to them they have the habit of getting it wrong and you have to go “You’re doing it wrong!” whilst screwing your face up like a small child who’s just fell off his bike.

For one, it makes a great point about variation and surface-level listening, which I think applies to a shitload of bands. But it's also important to stay grounded and realize that everyone listens to bands differently, etc - so as not to presume there's some kind of ultimate objective way to listen to things. Good stuff.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 2:33 pm 

Metal_Detector wrote:
I came here to say the exact same thing. I was just reading that Covenant review, nodding with a huge grin on my face all the while. It's one of the greatest albums ever, easily a top 10 record for me, and I'm glad to see that someone else appreciates it as much as I do. Definitely one people seem to tentatively like upon the first few listens until they're bowing obsequiously to its charms by the sixtieth.

I've seen shit whilst listening to the likes to "The Battle of Soaring Woodhelven" and "We Shall See Him as He Is." I'm not quite sure to this day what it was, but I saw it, I tell you!

Awesome to see that there are other fans of the album emerging from the woodwork! Of course I knew Tony and a couple others liked it, but this definitely deserves to be praised by as many people as possible. Glad you liked the review, cheers!

macmoney wrote:
Isn't there a little mindshadow in all of us? I like to think so.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 8:46 pm 

I would have laughed if ConorFynes gave A Twist in the Myth an 81% like he has every other Blind Guardian release. But he didn't, so now I am disappoint.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 11:20 pm 

Hah, I just saw MutantClannfear's review of In the Nightside Eclipse. I definitely agree with him on most of the points he made in there, though not as extremely, and I say that as a big Emperor fan. Never quite understood how so many seem to regard it as an untouchable masterpiece of some kind as I've always seen it as clearly flawed. A great piece of work, but far from perfect.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 11:51 pm 

Under_Starmere wrote:
Hah, I just saw MutantClannfear's review of In the Nightside Eclipse. I definitely agree with him on most of the points he made in there, though not as extremely, and I say that as a big Emperor fan. Never quite understood how so many seem to regard it as an untouchable masterpiece of some kind as I've always seen it as clearly flawed. A great piece of work, but far from perfect.

I dunno; I think the production could be heard as too reverb-ish for its own good but the riffs are there (there are some guitar videos of both Ihsahn and Samoth playing the stuff and you can appreciate better the riffs, which are way more complex than Bathory's - as the review compares). Also, Ihsahn's vocals do sound menacing IMO. - and ITNE was the last time it was like that, he lost his more aggressive edge on subsequent albums (Including Anthems). The last scream on Inno a Satana is really excellent for example. Mortiis' lyrics are great as well.

Lastly, I think the album was meant to sound muddy to convey that cold and evil atmosphere, which was also lost when they decided to use cleaner production, more clean vocals and more technical drumming among other things. Black metal doesn't need perfect production all the time. ITNE is good as it is IMO, just like Rotting Christ' TMC or Samael's Worship Him sound fine as they are.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 1:47 am 

The production isn't really something I take issue with in ItNE, it never bothered me much, so I do disagree with him there. I prefer the more muscular and textured sound of Anthems, yes, but the production on ItNE is fine for what it is. For me it's all about the ill-fitting vocals (Ihsahn's gobliny frog-man vox sounded way better in the context of Thou Shalt Suffer than in black metal, imo), the not-quite-amazing riffs (sure, they're huge and loud, but melodically not always entirely as gripping as they might be), and the keys being too loud in the mix at times. I can't say I get the Bathory comparison he made, either, since ItNE never reminded me a whole lot of Bathory.

Tony, Most August of Honey Bears, has requested this be moved to the review discussion thread, so let's take this six pack over there.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 6:52 am 

Diamhea wrote:
caspian wrote:
man, that new iron maiden review is fucken atrocious. Seriously dudes? This is what's accepted now?

Yes...

Apparently. :ugh:

Honestly, I wanna lodge a formal complaint against that one. A several paragraph introduction of Wikipedia history followed by two different half assed checklist styles where songs and instruments each get a passing mention with nothing approaching real analysis? That review is basically every single thing we discourage.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 8:05 am 

Furthermore, it's full of grammatical errors (he often confuses tenses), totally unnecessary for an album with over 20 reviews. C'mon mods, with the salary you're paid we expect better than this.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 11:14 am 

ItNE is a totally awesome album (still a big ol' Emperor fan here), but I did enjoy that review quite a bit, and agree with several huge points. The length of some songs can definitely be draining.

Also, droneriot's latest string of reviews is hella interesting, and got me listening to a lot of stuff more intently, especially [i]Worship Him[/i} which I was planning on giving a 95% anyway...but now I gotta re-evaluate my review so it's not just repeating everything.

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 1:29 pm 

Nightside Eclipse is great but I actually prefer the versions of the songs on the Emperor demo or EP or whatever. Just has better, more grim production and I'm not the biggest fan of Ihsahn's vocals on Nightside - they're cool because they're ridiculously high and distinctive, but I guess I prefer more traditional raspy black metal shrieks.

Still floors me to think how young the members were at the time of recording, though. Same goes for a lot of great albums out of the second wave.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 12:27 pm 

diogoferreira is so consistent in his mediocrity, it begs a closer look. I hope he is getting paid for his reviews, because such level of unenthusiastic, mechanical apathy cannot possibly be summoned of its own volition. He is like a machine, spitting out one passable paragraph of Engrish-laden description, bookmarked by pointless intro/outro paragraphs that always haphazardly mention release/band history just to add enough empty words to distract the reader. This is not how you do short reviews, people. For shame.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 1:42 pm 

the Hypothermia review was...nondescript.

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

oneyoudontknow
Cum insantientibus furere necesse est.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 6:05 pm 

Razakel wrote:
Nightside Eclipse is great but I actually prefer the versions of the songs on the Emperor demo or EP or whatever. Just has better, more grim production and I'm not the biggest fan of Ihsahn's vocals on Nightside - they're cool because they're ridiculously high and distinctive, but I guess I prefer more traditional raspy black metal shrieks.

Still floors me to think how young the members were at the time of recording, though. Same goes for a lot of great albums out of the second wave.

How do you see Thou Shalt Suffer? The early stuff and not the 2000 album.

My website which contains reviews as well as interviews:
https://adsol.oneyoudontknow.com
My podcast:
https://adsolmag.bandcamp.com/

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 12:33 pm 

Hells_Unicorn's Kobold review:
Quote:
When dabbling in a genre that has received a fair amount of saturation in recent years, one does well if one finds a moniker and corresponding mascot that keeps one distinct. A recent and quite young project in Kobold has managed to find something truly enthralling from a visual standpoint, namely a black flag toting, bomb throwing gremlin dressed in stereotypical thrash metal attire.

I mean, kobold is the name of the freaking band haha! A missed opportunity to talk about this mythical creature, I guess? Solid review otherwise.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 5:48 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
Hells_Unicorn's Kobold review:
Quote:
When dabbling in a genre that has received a fair amount of saturation in recent years, one does well if one finds a moniker and corresponding mascot that keeps one distinct. A recent and quite young project in Kobold has managed to find something truly enthralling from a visual standpoint, namely a black flag toting, bomb throwing gremlin dressed in stereotypical thrash metal attire.

I mean, kobold is the name of the freaking band haha! A missed opportunity to talk about this mythical creature, I guess? Solid review otherwise.

That was a bad attempt at irony, since the thing on their album cover looks more like a gremlin than a Kobold to me. Maybe it's just because I've played Genso Suikoden too many times and I'm used to seeing Kobolds depicted as anthropomorphic dogs.
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio (July 14, 1942 - May 16, 2010)

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 11:42 pm 

Man .. after reading Jophelerx's 100% for Holocaust's Covenant earlier today the album won't leave me alone. Fucking cool. I remember being pretty taken by the cover art a while back, but never gave the album a proper chance. Right place, right time. I'm guessing "Good shit" is an understatement, since this album really seems like it gets better and better the more one gets to know it.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 10:53 am 

http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/S ... Ecliptica_–_Revisited/448006/NotUltraBoris/361940

People will have differing opinions on a band as polarizing as SA, but I dunno, I just find it funny that after all their super weird experiments in the later 2000s, after all the protests for a return to the old style, even them literally going back and playing the same songs fans loved from the early days isn't enough to satisfy. There's really just no pleasing some of these people. The experiments were too experimental, Pariah's Child wasn't a return to form enough, and now this one is a literal, physical return to form in the most concrete way possible, but the band doesn't sound like they're 18 years old anymore, so it still isn't good enough. :lol: Not trying to point fingers, I just honestly find this a bit amusing. Not really sure what people want from the band. But the amount of dissent shows me they are doing something right, anyway.

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 11:31 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/Sonata_Arctica/Ecliptica_–_Revisited/448006/NotUltraBoris/361940

People will have differing opinions on a band as polarizing as SA, but I dunno, I just find it funny that after all their super weird experiments in the later 2000s, after all the protests for a return to the old style, even them literally going back and playing the same songs fans loved from the early days isn't enough to satisfy. There's really just no pleasing some of these people. The experiments were too experimental, Pariah's Child wasn't a return to form enough, and now this one is a literal, physical return to form in the most concrete way possible, but the band doesn't sound like they're 18 years old anymore, so it still isn't good enough. :lol: Not trying to point fingers, I just honestly find this a bit amusing. Not really sure what people want from the band. But the amount of dissent shows me they are doing something right, anyway.

I disagree, I think the "did" something right and then stopped, though the people who started complaining about changes in the band's sound on Silence (which I've never heard of prior to this review) are going overboard on the power metal conservatism angle. I actually thoroughly enjoyed the Ecliptica re-recording, and I found Pariah's Child reasonably good, if maybe a tiny bit tepid at a few points. The only thing I really want is for Sonata Arctica to play power metal, which they stopped doing on Unia and started up again on Pariah's Child. Rerecording old songs is fine, but I prefer some new material that cooks as well as Silence and Winterheart's Guild did. Even a decent retread of material like what occurred on Reckoning Night would be a welcome eventuality.

It's all well and good to experiment from time to time, but when you build a Frankenstein monster and it runs rampant throughout Transylvania, you shouldn't be free from criticism.
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 11:38 pm 

I just think statements like "[the Ecliptica re-recording] is another example of a cash grab trying to be like their old stuff" in the same review as something that still bashes their Unia or Days of Grays albums, is completely ridiculous and contradictory - they've never tried to do a cash grab. If you just like one or the other, it makes sense to me. But claiming that they've been doing cash grab after cash grab when they released the bizarro-world hard rock album Stones Grow Her Name three years ago, just seems ridiculous.

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 12:04 am 

Empyreal wrote:
I just think statements like "[the Ecliptica re-recording] is another example of a cash grab trying to be like their old stuff" in the same review as something that still bashes their Unia or Days of Grays albums, is completely ridiculous and contradictory - they've never tried to do a cash grab. If you just like one or the other, it makes sense to me. But claiming that they've been doing cash grab after cash grab when they released the bizarro-world hard rock album Stones Grow Her Name three years ago, just seems ridiculous.

I've been going a bit sour on the whole "cash grab" accusation being used in reviews since its something that every band with label support and a CD released for purchase does. I can agree that the proposition of a no-win situation for Sonata Arctica whether they do one style or the other is fairly ridiculous, I just can't stomach the approach they adopted on Unia and can't help but wonder if it was at least partly adopted because of the shift in the general power metal style at the time, which I wasn't terribly thrilled about in many cases.

I may end up reviewing the Ecliptica rerecording at some point soon, and I plan to give it a positive one.
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

mjollnir
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 1:23 am 

hells_unicorn wrote:
The only thing I really want is for Sonata Arctica to play power metal, which they stopped doing on Unia and started up again on Pariah's Child.

No...no they didn't. The line about Pariah's Child and his opinion of the remake is the only thing I agreed with in that guys review. However, I can not agree with those who hailed Pariah's Child as their return to power metal. Down tuned one note chugs to double bass drumming is not power metal. It was a lame attempt at a so called return to form.

Like your reviews?

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 7:11 am 

It isn't a return to the old days, it's better. There isn't a wasted second on that album, and every song is written and performed impeccably. I also love how it never feels oversaturated or too sugary or anything like that - Tony and the guys really dialed their sound down to a perfect form and presentation there. Comparing it with the latest Cain's Offering (which I also like, mind you) just makes the difference clear - SA are better now as a functioning band than they used to be.

hells_unicorn wrote:
I just can't stomach the approach they adopted on Unia and can't help but wonder if it was at least partly adopted because of the shift in the general power metal style at the time, which I wasn't terribly thrilled about in many cases.

Maybe, but if you want to go that route, the original late 90s and early 2000s power metal sound had plenty of bands doing that too just because it was popular at the time. It's just different movements through time. I get what you're saying about SA and it could be true, but I don't necessarily think one trend is more pandering/money-grubbing than the other - both had their big-label moments, etc.

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 4:58 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
hells_unicorn wrote:
I just can't stomach the approach they adopted on Unia and can't help but wonder if it was at least partly adopted because of the shift in the general power metal style at the time, which I wasn't terribly thrilled about in many cases.

Maybe, but if you want to go that route, the original late 90s and early 2000s power metal sound had plenty of bands doing that too just because it was popular at the time. It's just different movements through time. I get what you're saying about SA and it could be true, but I don't necessarily think one trend is more pandering/money-grubbing than the other - both had their big-label moments, etc.

The alleged pandering isn't so much my reason for disliking the sound, the sound itself is my problem, I generally don't like chugging groove metal that coasts along at mid-tempo all day. The fact that they switched sounds when they did and how it coincided with the general direction of metal is more an explanation of "why" they did it, not so much a reason in itself to dislike it. Sure a whole heap of turn-of-the-millennium power metal bands were ripping each other off, that's not really what's on my radar when I pan an album I don't like, but more a passing reference to add context to my position. If SA were the only band to tone their sound down the way they did and they had no external influences pushing the decision, my score on Unia would not have changed a single point.

mjollnir wrote:
hells_unicorn wrote:
The only thing I really want is for Sonata Arctica to play power metal, which they stopped doing on Unia and started up again on Pariah's Child.

No...no they didn't. The line about Pariah's Child and his opinion of the remake is the only thing I agreed with in that guys review. However, I can not agree with those who hailed Pariah's Child as their return to power metal. Down tuned one note chugs to double bass drumming is not power metal. It was a lame attempt at a so called return to form.

I will agree that Pariah's Child was not consistently power metal and didn't come with some leftover baggage from their previous few albums, but from a stylistic proximity standpoint, it was a return to the style. I didn't score it nearly as high as I did Silence or Winterheart's Guild precisely because of the areas where it fell short.
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

Folkemon_
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 3:20 pm 

I dunno what he was smoking when listening to the new Ecliptica because the guitars are far less buried than they were on the original.

sushiman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 5:47 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
It isn't a return to the old days, it's better. There isn't a wasted second on that album, and every song is written and performed impeccably. I also love how it never feels oversaturated or too sugary or anything like that - Tony and the guys really dialed their sound down to a perfect form and presentation there. Comparing it with the latest Cain's Offering (which I also like, mind you) just makes the difference clear - SA are better now as a functioning band than they used to be.

I agree with that, I'm still listening to it regularly and it has done nothing but grow and grow. I can't get my mind around where that record came from; such a defining album for the band ten years after I bought what I thought would be their last all killer album in Reckoning Night. And I'm much more interested in seeing where they take this sound than in them regressing - the rerecording last year, while not really that bad, does at least show in my eyes how the band has played increasingly to their strengths rather than to the expectations of others when it comes to their current direction.

And with that Cain's Offering one out, it's like being able to hear what Sonata Arctica tracks might have been written if they'd never had the personal and creative impetus to change. Best of both worlds!

Folkemon_ wrote:
I dunno what he was smoking when listening to the new Ecliptica because the guitars are far less buried than they were on the original.

Also agree, I was actually more surprised that the vocals weren't more showy in that Kakko style, though he does have a couple of great moments.

Alsandair
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 6:59 pm 

Empyreal wrote:

This is in reference to Pariah's Child right? I don't know how you've convinced yourself of these opinions but please surrender whatever you are smoking to me. Now!

Ecliptica Revisited did not offend me as I feared it would (much unlike NotUltraBoris apparently), but yes I would have preferred an album of new enjoyable material over a re-recording, like any sane person.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 10:12 am 

sushiman wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

I agree with that, I'm still listening to it regularly and it has done nothing but grow and grow. I can't get my mind around where that record came from; such a defining album for the band ten years after I bought what I thought would be their last all killer album in Reckoning Night. And I'm much more interested in seeing where they take this sound than in them regressing - the rerecording last year, while not really that bad, does at least show in my eyes how the band has played increasingly to their strengths rather than to the expectations of others when it comes to their current direction.

And with that Cain's Offering one out, it's like being able to hear what Sonata Arctica tracks might have been written if they'd never had the personal and creative impetus to change. Best of both worlds!

Exactly. The Cain's Offering stuff is good (though the replay value may be limited as the first album's was, I don't know), and it does basically sound like what SA would be doing if they hadn't changed sounds. But with Pariah's Child - I really just think every band should be striving to improve and fine-tune their sound year after year, and that's what that album is about. It's just really well crafted and shows how far the band has come from the excited, unabashed early years.

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 10:34 pm 

Man, that's eerie that Liquid Braino just reviewed that Terra Rosa album - I just got their CDs in the mail a couple days ago. Pretty accurate review and a good album (I'm still digesting it though - I've only played it twice so far).

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:19 pm 

NausikaDalazBlindaz in her Derogation review wrote:
Perhaps here at MA there's some resistance against Ukrainian bands because of what's been going on in Ukraine since the Maidan protests over 2013 - 2014?

Somehow I really doubt this, Nausika.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:53 pm 

Alsandair wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

This is in reference to Pariah's Child right? I don't know how you've convinced yourself of these opinions but please surrender whatever you are smoking to me. Now!

Ecliptica Revisited did not offend me as I feared it would (much unlike NotUltraBoris apparently), but yes I would have preferred an album of new enjoyable material over a re-recording, like any sane person.

I'm smoking the same stuff. It's called crystal salviajuanaphetamine and grows in a small patch in my backyard.

To jump back a bit in the conversation - I dunno, I've never understood how someone could listen to Unia and not be blown away by the choruses of Black and White, The Vice, The Harvest and It Won't Fade, if absolutely nothing else.

dystopia4 wrote:
NausikaDalazBlindaz in her Derogation review wrote:
Perhaps here at MA there's some resistance against Ukrainian bands because of what's been going on in Ukraine since the Maidan protests over 2013 - 2014?

Somehow I really doubt this, Nausika.

:lol: Yeah, a quick glance in the old Ukraine conflict thread would indicate otherwise.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:21 pm 

Anything that grows out of Luke's backyard is worth smoking, really, but that in particular, yes.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:41 pm 

http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/D ... ash/358104

Maybe I'm just pissed off because I'm a huge, lifelong Deicide fan (I even like the albums that suck), but this review is pathetic. Basically his only criticism is that Glen Benton is a Satanist and sings about it too much, and that it's "tired and boring". It reads like he read the band's Wikipedia page, decided to hate them, and then listened to the album once without giving it a chance or even paying attention to it. I understand people being bored with Satanic lyrics in metal (especially in Deicide with albums like "To Hell With God"), but to act like he's saying "Satan!" every other line while four of the songs have nothing to do with Satanism at all and the actual Satanic lyrics on this album are more well-written than he's letting on, is bullshit, and just another example of this strange vendetta some of the metal scene seems to have against Glen Benton and Deicide.

And check out this gem...

Quote:
Why can't Benton stop being a slave to the devil and write about something worthwhile, like the evolution of science or human psychology?

o_O

thrashmaniac87
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:42 pm 

That review is full of winners.

Quote:
It's not creepy and isn't going to make people have nightmares of a big red monster holding a trident surrounded by a big, red fire.

Talking about satanism.
Quote:
It has lost its power to intimidate people and cause insomnia.

Does the author honestly believe that that was the band's intention?

Quote:
Mr. Benton is one of those people in the metal community who has negatively influenced aspiring metal bands by making them follow in the same vein, which is to look a certain way and address the same topics in their lyrics over and over again.

I didn't realize that Glenn forced people to start satanic metal bands.

untappd: patrick_g

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:04 am 

Anyone with "thrash" in their name is a bonehead, probably a knuckle dragger too. Here's a gem from his review of Lamb of God:

Quote:
From a metalhead that likes thrash, power, heavy, speed, and death metal and one that doesn't feel the need to dress up as a metal loser (I wear nice clothes, as a matter of fact. And, I have good taste in metal, too)

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:09 am 

I forced him to remove an entire opening paragraph of that passive aggressive anti-elitist blabbering before accepting it.

Quote:
If there is one band people love to hate on, it is Lamb Of God. And for what reason? "Oh, they're a metalcore band, and metalcore sucks because there are so many br00t4l breakdowns", which is complete bogus because Lamb Of God are not a metalcore band. I even made a face writing that previous sentence, because people that say those things about this band make me cringe. Lamb Of God are by no means my favourite band, but none of their songs have corny melodic choruses where the lead vocalist sings about how he hates his life and all that bullshit. Lamb Of God is a band that is unfortunately misunderstood and hated on because they rose to popularity at a time when metalcore and nu metal were considered cool, so the haters tend to call them mallcore without really knowing anything about the band. This shows how some members of the metal community are a flock of sheep that have limited brain capacity and do not have the willpower to think for themselves. Instead, they conform to the opinions and beliefs of other sheep within the same community. This is a band that has a style that is distinctive and instantly recognizable, and has become inimitable.

Last.fm

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:23 am 

I would've forced him to remove several more paragraphs before accepting it.

thrashmaniac87
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:08 am 

Zodijackyl wrote:
Anyone with "thrash" in their name is a bonehead, probably a knuckle dragger too. Here's a gem from his review of Lamb of God:

Quote:
From a metalhead that likes thrash, power, heavy, speed, and death metal and one that doesn't feel the need to dress up as a metal loser (I wear nice clothes, as a matter of fact. And, I have good taste in metal, too)

Hey some of us regret it now and were new to the internet and the whole screen name thing.

untappd: patrick_g

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:41 am 

Diamhea wrote:
I forced him to remove an entire opening paragraph of that passive aggressive anti-elitist blabbering before accepting it.

Haha, not only does he rave about LoG haters being "sheep," he also backtracks to let us know they're not his FAVORITE band. :lol:

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:50 am 

I mean, he DOES have a point hidden in there somewhere about how they never fit the typical metalcore mold so it's always been somewhat of an unfair misnomer. But he just gamergates the shit out of it and rambles on about how he's above the filthy sheeple because he likes what is far and away the most popular metal band in America in the last 15 years. I about cringed my face onside out.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 222, 223, 224, 225, 226, 227, 228 ... 520  Next