Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:07 am 

http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/Myrkur/M/514764/

That bryankerndrummer review is brilliant. I haven't heard the album, but it's super finely written and is just blisteringly sarcastic, totally excellent.

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

demonomania
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:24 pm 

Wait, you can get away with full-on sarcastic reviews now, which describe the music in the exact opposite way that the reviewer actually feels about it? I remember getting a review of the "Black Album" nuked for similar reasons some time ago.

"Everyone welcome back the Hoffman brothers, a new beginning for great guitarists and people."

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:46 pm 

Actually, between the album rating, and some clearly negative sentences used as praise (that whole "angry teenage girl" spiel in particular), it's pretty damn obvious that the writer isn't being sincere. I can imagine some poor sod with no idea of sarcasm complaining that the reviewer probably made a mistake in regards to the rating, but it's easy to see that it's actually a scathing review.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:07 pm 

I honestly wish we had more writers capable of being creative with their reviews like that. It's done really well and I see no reason to get rid of this one.

Though it may be worth noting the date it was submitted. We mass rejected all of the April Fools reviews when the day was done, it seems he resubmit it afterwards (probably with the altered score to make it obvious, though the one thing we can't see in the edit history is the title and score so this is pure speculation).
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:31 pm 

I mentioned this far less witty version of the same approach three weeks ago:

http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/C ... ied/387201

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:03 pm 

Hey raspberrysoda, looks like your favorite black metal legend Count Orlok is getting in position to bombard us with more of his masterworks: http://www.metal-archives.com/report/view/id/573436. This is seriously like a black metal comedy sketch come to life. These are the loosest definitions of "bands" possible. Just a FB page, cliche band title, and more lack of originality.

This has the potential to grow old as quickly as Sloth, though.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

raspberrysoda
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 3:25 am 

Diamhea wrote:
Hey raspberrysoda, looks like your favorite black metal legend Count Orlok is getting in position to bombard us with more...

This has the potential to grow old as quickly as Sloth.

How lovely.

Oh, and by the way, I've looked at Cunt Orlok's user's reports. He also happens to be racist af.

Cunt Orlok wrote:
Do i need to submit my passport just to prove my name? not every one has a christian name.

if i had a jewish or arabic name, people wouldn't question my name: how pathetic.

stainedclass2112 wrote:
It was a joke you darn can of fizzy sweetened liquid

BastardHead wrote:
Somebody is getting murdered but poor razz just wants his beauty sleep.

Lich Coldheart
Stares into the Void

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:00 am 

Well, Diamhea has finally reviewed something that's not melo-death. Cool, but why did it have to be shitty bedroom black metal? Self-punishment for your unforgivable sins? :-P
I like keeping my sword wet, like a young girl in her prime.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:03 am 

raspberrysoda wrote:
Oh, and by the way, I've looked at Cunt Orlok's user's reports. He also happens to be racist af.

Uh, you reviewed a release with a swastika on the cover...

raspberrysoda
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:08 am 

droneriot wrote:
Uh, you reviewed a release with a swastika on the cover...

Yeah, I think I've considered that when calling that release a NSBM one....

stainedclass2112 wrote:
It was a joke you darn can of fizzy sweetened liquid

BastardHead wrote:
Somebody is getting murdered but poor razz just wants his beauty sleep.

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:30 pm 

caspian wrote:
http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/Myrkur/M/514764/

That bryankerndrummer review is brilliant. I haven't heard the album, but it's super finely written and is just blisteringly sarcastic, totally excellent.

This is pretty good, I just wish he'd have used better albums at the end than Immortal and Dark Funeral, who came out six years before and are super different stylistically. Something more like Ghost Bath or whatever crap Gilead Media puts out would have made it much more accurate and thus funnier imo.

Mikhail95
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:56 pm 

How do you bash an album well? I've tried but each time I've failed (meaning my reviews bashing an album have been rejected). For example I can't use the phrase "this sucks" or "this album is a piece of shit." Any helpful advice?

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 1:48 am 

Sentences such as "this sucks" or "this album is a piece of shit" don't actually describe the music in any way. If you want to bash an album properly, you actually need to explain why it doesn't work. Is the production unfitting, emasculating, or just plain poor? Is the songwriting meandering and repetitive, overtly convoluted for its own sake, or perhaps cliché and faceless? If it's power metal, are the melodic hooks lifeless and the vocal melodies uninteresting? Are these death metal riffs entirely composed of two note chugs? Does the vocalist have an irritating inflection, or even plain bad technique?

These are the kinds of things that you have to ask yourself.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:04 am 

mikey22 wrote:
How do you bash an album well?

"This sucks" is a perfectly legitimate response to an album, but it makes a shit review. If "this sucks" is the extent of what you have to say, don't you want to just do something else anyway? If you want it to be taken seriously, it's got to be supported with some decent arguments. Hyperbolically throwing shit is boring as hell and ultimately lazy because it's not analytical. It's just abuse (which, in the hands of, say, lord_genghis can actually work .. but don't try to be him. He's a pit of loathsome pith and vinegar, and you can't write like that, I'm just saying). Let's say it gets under your skin in a personal way. Or let's say it compells you to harm yourself in order to escape it. I mean .. you know .. literally. Did it make you think about stabbing out your own eyes with your roommate's toothbrush? Did it make you cry? In what way did it hurt? Be specific. But be wary; rambling incessantly about how something's terrible gets old fast.

Rainbow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 3:28 pm 

BastardHead's new Sabaton review is awesome. Being mad at pop metal for being poppy is such a funny sentiment. It's like me reviewing an Alice Cooper album and complaining it's campy shit. As a fan of a lot of cheesy hard rock bands, I guess it's not hard to digest catchy music. If your audio diet is Watchtower and Coroner, yeah Sabaton is gonna sound fucking stupid.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 3:33 pm 

Rainbow wrote:
BastardHead's new Sabaton review is awesome. Being mad at pop metal for being poppy is such a funny sentiment. It's like me reviewing an Alice Cooper album and complaining it's campy shit. As a fan of a lot of cheesy hard rock bands, I guess it's not hard to digest catchy music. If your audio diet is Watchtower and Coroner, yeah Sabaton is gonna sound fucking stupid.

God you're a fucking moron.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 3:53 pm 

The guy giving positive reviews to Ensiferum, Insomnium AND DEAFHEAVEN surely is mad at pop metal.

Rainbow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:12 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Rainbow wrote:

God you're a fucking moron.

Well you can't accuse me of not being honest about what I enjoy. I like rock n roll for all its pomp and absurdity. Nothing moronic about pointing out personal taste as causing reviews to be graded on a curve. Empirically, it also doesn't matter because obviously these poppy bands are surely more financially and culturally successful in establishing a legacy despite bad reviews on Metal-Archives. To extend their own metaphor, a bad Sabaton review is a child tossing rocks at a tank. Like it or not they are a modern KISS and in 20 years metal fans will say "yeah that was the first band I got into when I was 13". That's just the way it is. It's a machine at this point. A brand. They are beyond the standards of review that goes towards a new Nightwish or Gamma Ray album. If they release a 'bad' album then their fan base will respond. If they only get bigger then it wasn't a bad album, was it?

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:17 pm 

You constantly defend this band by accusing anyone who doesn't like it of hating all popular and catchy music, which is literally absolutely retarded. It's not about having different tastes, it's about the fact that you're a screaming idiot child who can't handle anyone not liking his precious favorite (shitty) band.

And gotta love that fallacy argument of yours. "It's popular, so it's objectively good and any negative reviews are wrong and stupid because of that." That's basically what you are saying. Which is, again, objectively retarded and wrong.

Rainbow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:38 pm 

I'm not defending them as a personal statement. I can't control other people's taste and I can't argue a band into someone's favor. I just find the criticism ridiculous because the standards are so backward. The band is playing a fairly banal form of pop rock augmented into Swedish power metal. Stylistically, battle beast and Hammerfall level shit - but they are ripped by the metal nerd contingent as if they are Five Finger Death Punch or Avenged Sevenfold. There is some vitriol beneath the surface here that some people aren't admitting to themselves and it's that same popularity = bad argument.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:08 pm 

Rainbow wrote:
popularity = bad

That explains BastardHead's 100% review for Painkiller. It's wicked underground!

Rainbow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:27 pm 

Compared to The Black Album, yes wicked underground.

And man I catch a lot of shit for my awful taste but I'd give Painkiller 100% too.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:48 pm 

I did actually hear a person say yesterday that they didn't really know who Judas Priest was, so you may be on to something.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:09 pm 

Jeez man I almost exclusively listen to more popular metal, for every one positive mention of Satyrasis or Starseed I have like twenty for Judas Priest and Cannibal Corpse. To think I have a prejudice against them for being popular is ridiculous considering like nine of my top ten all time favorite bands are all practically ubiquitous. And Emp's right, the defense of "Well they're crazy popular and basically an unstoppable brand and therefore any negative criticism is rendered invalid" is unbelievably backwards and stupid, as if the fact that they are absolutely a brand and not a group of creative musicians at this point isn't an indictment in itself. If you're correct and their juggernaut of popularity just keep rolling along for the next few decades then yeah, they're going to end up a fashion statement. A logo to slap on t-shirts and backpacks like Metallica, The Ramones, and the Misfits skull. I'm not sure exactly what that says about them since all of those bands were obviously great at one point, but Sabaton's popularity being used as the strongest defense against people who don't like them is ridiculous. It sounds like somebody saying Metallica is literally incapable of being bad because they continually sell out stadiums globally, despite the fact that their setlists are still like 75% songs from the first four albums. Sabaton can continue selling out every stadium they touch, The Last Stand will still be a crappy and pointless album. End of.

I'm not upset that a pop metal album is poppy (I'm one of the more vocal fans of both Battle Beast and Powerwolf on the board for Greek's sake), I'm upset that the pop metal band wrote a lazy album with practically zero hooks or staying power beyond a few seconds after the songs finish.

EDIT: Hold on, I just remembered you're Exigence. Everything makes sense again.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:11 pm 

Shout out to caspian for his Katatonia review. I pretty much totally disagree with him opinion-wise, but he makes his case quite clearly and concisely.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:15 pm 

Rainbow wrote:
I'm not defending them as a personal statement. I can't control other people's taste and I can't argue a band into someone's favor. I just find the criticism ridiculous because the standards are so backward. The band is playing a fairly banal form of pop rock augmented into Swedish power metal. Stylistically, battle beast and Hammerfall level shit - but they are ripped by the metal nerd contingent as if they are Five Finger Death Punch or Avenged Sevenfold. There is some vitriol beneath the surface here that some people aren't admitting to themselves and it's that same popularity = bad argument.

I'll try to keep this in short, simple sentences for you. This is what you posted after I put up my review last week:

Quote:
Yeah let's all jerk off to Vektor and Manilla Road. Popular bands are bad. Catchy songs are bad. Boooo.

Fuck AC/DC and Motörhead too, right bro?

Online metal communities represent such fuck all of what is actually going on in the world. Even the last dying gasps of metal "publications" have more of a clue. I read album reviews on my Facebook feed from big metal sites and laugh "Yep, you'd never read that on M-A". Right now the new Sabaton has 30 5 star reviews on Amazon but so far the only 2 "published" reviews here average to around 15%. Gotta love the pettiness involved there.

You'd think they were black album Metallica popular with that kind of whiny nerd hate. They're fucking below Nightwish in the States. Jesus tap dancing Christ. The reviews are terrible too, offering no new criticism, more of the same, blah blah blah. But you know these kind of attitudes aren't only limited to this strata. You know these dopes write angry dirges about Marvel movies and whatever Netflix series is trending. Contrarian to a tee! Always a treat to read.

You are implying that I hate popular and catchy music because I negatively reviewed one album from one band, and that I only "jerk off to" underground metal worshiped on this site. Therefore, you are wrong about me, objectively, and you do not know what you are talking about.

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:50 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
You are implying that I hate popular and catchy music because I negatively reviewed one album from one band, and that I only "jerk off to" underground metal worshiped on this site. Therefore, you are wrong about me, objectively, and you do not know what you are talking about.

I think Rainbow's deal is that he is equating these negative reviews of power metal albums with a bunch of black metal/death metal/no clean vocals types coming over and shitting on his favorite music just for the fun of it. There was some of that going on back when I first came on to this website (most of it was probably tied in with ANUS), but it hasn't been much of a factor lately with maybe the exception of some of bitterman's reviews, but he was kind of an across-the-board troll.

I just reviewed the album myself, I got inspired by the back and forth going on here. I like the album, but my references to those who don't are meant entirely in jest, I'm not looking to necessarily belittle any other opinions, and I'm not as rabidly passionate about Sabaton as Rainbow is, I reserve such feelings for Iron Savior's albums. :-P
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio (July 14, 1942 - May 16, 2010)

mjollnir
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:55 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
EDIT: Hold on, I just remembered you're Exigence. Everything makes sense again.

I fucking knew it!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Like your reviews?

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:35 pm 

Ahhh huh! .. well, now it makes sense. The freak is out of the bag.

+ Empyreal, did you know he was Exigence when you called him a fucking moron? Because if not, that's even better.

zeingard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:06 am 

Ugh, I just had to listen to Sabaton for the first time ever because of this argument. It was utterly bland and banal, all I can really remember are those awful keyboards. It's not even like they're super loud or intrusive, there was just nothing else going on instrumentally. At least they have no illusions about what kind of band they want to be.

BH's review is fine, perhaps a touch long for cussing out an already well known pop band for producing this hollow plastic toy of a fucking album.

theposega wrote:
Shout out to caspian for his Katatonia review. I pretty much totally disagree with him opinion-wise, but he makes his case quite clearly and concisely.

It's incredibly apt, although I personally think Katatonia have been boring since 'Dance of December Souls' so 'Brave Murder Day' seemed like it was just maintaining the status quo.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:00 am 

hells_unicorn wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

I think Rainbow's deal is that he is equating these negative reviews of power metal albums with a bunch of black metal/death metal/no clean vocals types coming over and shitting on his favorite music just for the fun of it. There was some of that going on back when I first came on to this website (most of it was probably tied in with ANUS), but it hasn't been much of a factor lately with maybe the exception of some of bitterman's reviews, but he was kind of an across-the-board troll.

I just reviewed the album myself, I got inspired by the back and forth going on here. I like the album, but my references to those who don't are meant entirely in jest, I'm not looking to necessarily belittle any other opinions, and I'm not as rabidly passionate about Sabaton as Rainbow is, I reserve such feelings for Iron Savior's albums. :-P

Yeah, but it's super obvious that people hating the album here are not like that. It doesn't take some kind of erudite knowledge of the community.

As for your review, well yeah, the reason people hated the new one so much is because, for me anyway, it just sounds so bad compared to what they used to do. Much more annoying choruses.

And yeah, I did know he was Exigence.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:05 am 

I guess the part that's getting to me here is that I still don't even know what his point is. Is it that Emp and I only worship underground metal? Well that can't be it since it's obviously untrue. Is it an indictment at the perceived elitism of MA as a whole? No, can't be that either since basically everybody here loves at least a good chunk of the classic bands and I can't even remember the last time one of those fabled "kvlt kiddies" ever actually showed up. Hasn't it been like a decade since that died off? So maybe his point is that Sabaton is literally unable to be criticized because their album sales are so high. Nah, that's, ironically, more of a pop music fan's defense of why whatever flavor of the week club jam is actually great.

So I'm forced to conclude that the point is simply that Rexibow is just being a childish manbaby.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:13 am 

I spent a lot of this year listening to Siouxsie and the Banshees, the White Stripes, Muse and Kanye West's Yeezus album, and I regularly praise Nuclear Blast releases from Edguy, Symphony X, etc. I know I already defended myself on that charge but eh, I can't get over how silly the 'hates mainstream music' thing is.

It's the defense of the person with no argument who just can't handle any different opinions. They have to find some other justification for why anyone wouldn't like their favorite band - it can't just be that not everyone likes the same shit.

Sabaton is not some kind of new classic band by the way. They're flavor of the month fluff that will fade away as surely as nu-metal did, except on some choice metal festivals here and there. They are definitely not the new Motorhead or AC/DC or something.

OK. This is the last I'll say about it - don't want to clog up the thread more unless someone else starts arguing.

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:08 am 

Empyreal wrote:
Yeah, but it's super obvious that people hating the album here are not like that. It doesn't take some kind of erudite knowledge of the community.

As for your review, well yeah, the reason people hated the new one so much is because, for me anyway, it just sounds so bad compared to what they used to do. Much more annoying choruses.

And yeah, I did know he was Exigence.

I think I'm the only person here who didn't know that he was Exigence, I didn't have many interactions with the guy while a member here so there wasn't much to draw upon to come to that conclusion. My guess is that he hasn't paid attention to what you've been reviewing of late, especially considering that the last time that you reviewed one of Sabaton's albums was several years ago. His behavior is extremely immature, and I hope nobody is getting the idea in their heads that I'm defending his antics.

BastardHead wrote:
I guess the part that's getting to me here is that I still don't even know what his point is. Is it that Emp and I only worship underground metal? Well that can't be it since it's obviously untrue. Is it an indictment at the perceived elitism of MA as a whole? No, can't be that either since basically everybody here loves at least a good chunk of the classic bands and I can't even remember the last time one of those fabled "kvlt kiddies" ever actually showed up. Hasn't it been like a decade since that died off? So maybe his point is that Sabaton is literally unable to be criticized because their album sales are so high. Nah, that's, ironically, more of a pop music fan's defense of why whatever flavor of the week club jam is actually great.

So I'm forced to conclude that the point is simply that Rexibow is just being a childish manbaby.

You're probably right. The last time I remember all of those "kvlt kiddies" types trying to raise a ruckus was 7 or 8 years ago, so the man-baby charge seems the most logical. While I do kinda miss some aspects of the older days of this site, the lack of "trve trolls" on here has been one of the needed improvements that has taken place on this site in recent years.
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:48 am 

I'm super kvlt about how I like my black & death metal, but I also post in Metallica threads. :(

metroplex
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:55 pm 

What's up with all the sudden Vektor reviews?

thrashmaniac87
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:06 pm 

metroplex wrote:

There's a new reviewer crew so I think things like that will become more common.

untappd: patrick_g

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:58 pm 

droneriot wrote:
I'm super kvlt about how I like my black & death metal, but I also post in Metallica threads. :(

I don't recall you being tied in with ANUS or making pseudo-philosophical arguments about how people who listen to post-80s power metal are destroying the metal community. And say whatever you like about Metallica, just because I liked the new single doesn't mean I'm an over-attached fanboy and am all bent out of shape about most here having a negative reaction to it. Just go a bit easier on me the next time I review an early 90s death/thrash classic and mess up a fact or two. :-P
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

Mikhail95
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:50 pm 

droneriot wrote:

When will you finish up your top ten greatest metal album series? I think they're an enjoyable read and they helped me discover some great albums. :)

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:53 pm 

metroplex wrote:

Bunch of newer reviewers PMing each other and trying to stir controversy by hitting albums all at once, sharing general sentiment between them.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 286, 287, 288, 289, 290, 291, 292 ... 520  Next