Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:46 am 

It's been six months, so time for another CRC!

Credit to WebOfPiss for suggesting this. Other dudes had suggested Budgie and Deceased, both good ideas, and I was sort of thinking doing a whole scene thing on old dutch death/doom (which I might refine and do some other time) but this'll work well. Big disco that's largely unreviewed, lots of variety, a band that i find slightly more interesting than Budgie/Deceased. More doom I know, but I can't think up anything better, so suck my knob.

Anyway

In this challenge/contest you have until the 19th of September to review a Paul Chain album OR a Paul Chain Violet Theatre album. Request for Death SS is denied :D

Multiple reviews are accepted and encouraged.

Get blogspottin'!

PRIZES

gimmick review

I was just going to offer the usual UAC Doom t-shirt because no one claimed that last time, but I'm going to do something different and offer an unrelated space rock/kraut-y CD.

This band is Titan and they're really good. Brilliant spacey jams. Will appeal to most Paul Chain fans, unless if you're WebOfPiss, I imagine :lol:

WORST REVIEW

For some reason no one has ever seen fit to claim this prize. The winner will receive my used copy of St.Anger

BEST REVIEW

Best review receives two things (this didn't get claimed by the last winner either, I'm not complaining):

any item they want from here:

http://www.allthatisheavy.com/search.as ... =BandNames

..or alternatively, any Paul Chain they want, as long as it's easily available on the net and doesn't cost me an arm and a leg.

...And a UAC t-shirt. Not available in a higher resolution due to a shitty website:

like last time, I may see fit to unleash more prizes on people who don't win any of the above categories. Write a few great reviews, and who knows what you'll get...

last thing- make sure you mention that you've submitted a review, so I don't miss out.

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

Last edited by caspian on Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:04 am 

Good choice, I'll contribute something. But can I get a prize for already having two Paul Chain reviews? :D

Also, how about extending the focus to PC-era Death SS as well? Just a thought.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:17 am 

Hmm, I've always thought about listening to PC. Now I guess this gives me a reason. Usually doom / rock of this sort doesn't interest me too much.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

WebOfPiss
Myopic Void

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:55 pm 

Don't go into every release expecting doom. It ranges from experimental to occult rock to Hawkwind type jams, etc.

Naught
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:20 pm 

Paul Chain's album, Life and Death (1989) is extraordinary, for a lack of more vibrant terms. The vocal melodies which weave together throughout the track, "Kill Me" are invigorated within a coating of mesmerizing, foreboding riffs which succeeds at imparting an authentic sense of impeding turmoil. Moreover, the bass licks manage to contribute further to the somber vibe which this albums seems to thoroughly emit. I am anticipating a favorable impression to embody the review for this album. I might decide to write a few more reviews--once I finish the up-and-coming review for Life and Death--which examines Paul Chain's earlier, more primal recordings throughout the oeuvre of Paul Chain Violet Theatre. Apart from the seldom, scarce reviews which are currently submitted for this enigmatic group, I am eager to read about what other people think of Paul Chain's haunting array of tunes.

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:40 pm 

In my unending quest for new music, it always seems like you end up picking the most interesting bands for you challenges Caspian. You can count me in on this one, though I'm not sure which album I'm going to take a risk on yet.
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio (July 14, 1942 - May 16, 2010)

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:42 pm 

This guy looks like he makes some music I'd enjoy. I'll give this a shot.

holyrebels
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:26 pm 

Alkahest features Lee Dorian on half the tracks. Wish I still had that album, it was sweet.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:29 am 

I've been meaning to get into Paul Chain and Death SS for quite some time. Sounds potentially interesting...

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:55 pm 

Listening to Life and Death now, and it's pretty damn good. "Antichrist" was only OK, but they really stepped it up with "Kill Me," and every song after that has been really groovy, interesting atmospheric rock-ish stuff. It's pretty hard to describe accurately, but I plan to give it some in depth listens to really get a feel for it. His vocals are really odd. Not at all the deep drone I expected, but instead a 70s-style warble that reminds me of something I'd expect from some archaic psychedelic band or something from that era...and Naught is right, the vocal layering and melodies are hypnotic. Really hard to get used to at first, but I think I'm getting there.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:04 pm 

Oh hell no, this is the first contest where I really do care that I don't get the worst prize.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Naught
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:27 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Listening to Life and Death now, and it's pretty damn good. "Antichrist" was only OK, but they really stepped it up with "Kill Me," and every song after that has been really groovy, interesting atmospheric rock-ish stuff. It's pretty hard to describe accurately, but I plan to give it some in depth listens to really get a feel for it. His vocals are really odd. Not at all the deep drone I expected, but instead a 70s-style warble that reminds me of something I'd expect from some archaic psychedelic band or something from that era...and Naught is right, the vocal layering and melodies are hypnotic. Really hard to get used to at first, but I think I'm getting there.

If you enjoy Life and Death (1989), you might also enjoy some of the material which is labeled under Paul Chain Violet Theatre. In particular, Detaching from Satan (1984) and In the Darkness (1986) are the releases you should pursue. The former tends to bow a slight courtesy to 1970s-era Black Sabbath (a few of the riffs bear slight resemblances to the melodies found throughout Black Sabbath Vol. 4 (1972) as well as the general style of musicianship which dominates Black Sabbath's earlier outings), while introducing the bleak, trance-inducing snare which Life and Death possesses. The latter, while retaining an eerie, ominous presence, is composed of a more minimalistic, seemingly blues-driven vision. Nevertheless, both releases are worthwhile to anyone who may be interested in writing about Paul Chain's music; especially if one wishes to stay nestled in familiar territory, i.e. blues-driven heavy metal.

It would be great if someone could tackle Paul Chain's, Opera Decima - The World of the End (1990), despite its total playing time of approximately two hours and sixteen minutes (02:16:02). I'm sure many people would appreciate reading about that rather eccentric release.

caspian

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:54 am 

Naught, why not write a review yourself? Although I can definitely imagine your review ending up over 10,000 words. But seriously, stop typing massive replies and start reviewing Paul Chain!

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:57 am 

caspian wrote:
Naught, why not write a review yourself? Although I can definitely imagine your review ending up over 10,000 words. But seriously, stop typing massive replies and start reviewing Paul Chain!

I agree with caspian, in general about you sticking to writing reviews where this kind of wordiness works well. In forum posts - as in general conversation - this kind of use of vocabulary makes one's output too superfluous to be effective at its primal objective i.e. communicating the meaning of your hypothesis to the person(s) you are having discourse with.

Evil_Johnny_666
Reigning king of the night

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:24 pm 

Well, that will give me a kick on the butt to check some Paul Chain presto :???:

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:09 pm 

That used copy of St. Anger is just the inspiration I need to not write the worst review this time around. :lol:
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

Naught
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:57 pm 

caspian wrote:

I plan on submitting a review for Life and Death (1989) by Paul Chain, and perhaps also for Detaching from Satan (1984) and In the Darkness (1986) if time permits.

sushiman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:07 pm 

Hot damn is it that time already. I've been piss poor for reviews almost since the last one, maybe this will get me going again though. From this song 'Sand Glass' I think I'll get on fine with this Paul Chain customer, nice choice caspian.

Edit: If Alkahest was a woman I'd marry it. Count Raven meets Pagan Altar, beautiful. If I can get the time this might be another discography attempt a la Vitus.

caspian

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:51 am 

so is anyone going to actually enter this, or did WoP's incidious plan to get himself free cds succeed? Think next time I'll have to go for a bigger band.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:28 am 

Extend the deadline another month maybe. It's the beginning of a new semester for a lot of people, which can be a pretty hectic time what with new classes, living arrangements, etc.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:22 pm 

I'll do it. Divesting you of some part of your wealth is pretty good motivation for me!

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:35 pm 

I'll write something.

Maybe for Opera IV or the dreamy/space instrumental Master of All Times. Or else, one of the unreleased track compilations.
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

caspian

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:01 pm 

failsafeman wrote:
Extend the deadline another month maybe. It's the beginning of a new semester for a lot of people, which can be a pretty hectic time what with new classes, living arrangements, etc.

A month seems a bit overkill, but no harm in adding another two weeks. Done and done.

sushiman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:56 am 

Well I reviewed the demo with Wino. Seems like the lazy option but it's honestly the thing I've listened to most that would be pertinent. I'd like to give Alkahest and maybe some later stuff a bash if I get the time though.

orionmetalhead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:05 pm 

I submitted my review for In The Darkness.

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:57 pm 

I submitted a review for Detaching From Satan, I'm not sure if I'll do another one, but I may try to get one more in.
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

WebOfPiss
Myopic Void

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:29 am 

I may complete my Park of Reason review. I'm going to Bermuda in a few day so who knows. The album fucking pisses me off, so getting my thoughts written down is a hassle.

Muhammadabbadabba
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:41 pm 

I'm interested to see how this contest turns out. Paul Chain (especially Violet Theatre) boasts quite the discography, although I personally prefer Death SS and Black Hole.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:19 pm 

Muhammadabbadabba wrote:
I'm interested to see how this contest turns out. Paul Chain (especially Violet Theatre) boasts quite the discography, although I personally prefer Death SS and Black Hole.

Black Hole made one brilliant album..haven't heard the second and I actually don't know anyone else who has. Death SS aren't worth much without Paul Chain, in my view, although the debut album is still cool.

Anyway, I just find the man's work pretty fascinating, and I love the fact that he's so prolific (or was for a time) whilst remaining somewhat mysterious and aloof and still making high-quality music.
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

Muhammadabbadabba
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:54 am 

Muhammadabbadabba wrote:

Oh, by the way, before someone confuses my initial post to mean number of albums, I was referring to the quality of Violet Theatre vs. his solo project. Both are neat, but I prefer Violet Theatre.

caspian

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:41 am 

ok, so this review challenge was a fairly EPIC FAILURE.. will have to be more careful with the next one. A shame as the Vitus one went real well. There's still a few more days though! Get writing, and redeem this fairly bad idea!

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:41 pm 

I wrote one...

...nah I'm just pulling your Paul Chain I listened to one song and it bored me. Didn't even consider writing one after I heard that track. Guess I just got lazy. Sorry this one was a bananza like the last one, caspian.

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:58 pm 

Honestly, of what I've heard, I really enjoy Paul Chain's work, but unfortunately it's difficult to get a lot of his stuff and it's also pretty difficult to put into words exactly what it is I'm hearing. That review of "Detaching From Satan" that I wrote was among the hardest ones I've ever written and it was for an EP.
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

orionmetalhead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:32 pm 

Idk, I found it pretty easy to review because it was so unique. It's much easier to describe something interesting you've not heard before than something that sounds like everything else you've reviewed.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:59 pm 

Since the challenge isn't quite over, I've begun writing my piece.

caspian

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:05 am 

Shit, when is the deadline? I forgot all about this. If you're genuinely writing a piece then by all means, get it done. If anyone else is keen on churning out something then I have no problems being a bit flexible with time here.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:39 pm 

Bout half way done with the writing. Torturous as usual. My understanding (and what I believe most others' were as well) is that the challenge is open until the 19th is over, IE; anything before 12:00 AM Sep 20. For convenience sake, we'll say that the cut off is Sep 20, 12AM GMT, which gives us a little more than 25 hours from the time of this post.

GMT clock: http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/city.html?n=211

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:09 am 

Review submitted, with a good 15 hours or so for one of the intelligent and handsome mods to accept. ;-)

Hell, though, I can't remember, with a split, do you submit the review on both band pages?

Btw, I'm going for all three categories. Figure I got a good chance at any or all of them.

MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:45 am 

John_Sunlight wrote:
Hell, though, I can't remember, with a split, do you submit the review on both band pages?

Both pages.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:42 am 

MacMoney wrote:
Both pages.

Thanks.

Anyway, for your reading pleasure:

Empyreal

hells_unicorn

sushiman

orionmetalhead

Tepes_The_Unweeping

Looks like that's gonna be everyone.

Last edited by ~Guest 226319 on Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page 1, 2  Next