Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:19 pm 

Submitted mine for Life and Death.

oneyoudontknow
Cum insantientibus furere necesse est.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:59 am 

I began to write one on his experimental piece, but I do not have the time to get in done in this time frame, so I have to skip this challenge.

My website which contains reviews as well as interviews:
https://adsol.oneyoudontknow.com
My podcast:
https://adsolmag.bandcamp.com/

WebOfPiss
Myopic Void

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:54 pm 

Despite being the source for the subject of this contest, I couldn't be fucked to finish my review. Too much work for an album I have no desire to review, hear, or think about (Park of Reason).

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:21 am 

Some pretty good reviews here, give me a bit of time to announce winners, it's all going to be rather close.

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

caspian

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:42 am 

Ok let's get these results out the way.

All in all rather hard to judge ..most of the awards. A lot of very solid reviews here. Most were all workmanlike and solid constructions, except for Tepes, who's well written and rather eccentric contribution wins BEST REVIEW PM me your address and the Paul Chain you want, and I'll send you Jesu's Silver, er, the prize.

Unfortunately the rest of the reviews are things I'd rate very closely in quality, and none of them are gimmicks. So I'll just change things around a bit and award the SECOND BEST REVIEW to Empyreal, who's solid review was a bit more indepth than the others (and not track by track like Orion's.) PM me your address brah.

Worst review? Well shit, it's hard but sushiman "wins this. A decent review, just not up to the standards the other four guys contributed. PM me your address .. if you want my old copy of St.Anger.

Cheers to everyöne for contributing. One note I will say: I am going to go to Europe in about 7 hours, so I will not be sending out prizes until December.

Will probably try this again but maybe in a year so, I'll just wait until I can think of something that will get a Vitus-like responce going.

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:13 pm 

caspian wrote:
Will probably try this again but maybe in a year so, I'll just wait until I can think of something that will get a Vitus-like responce going.

Devin Townsend's whole discography.

Muhammadabbadabba
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:07 pm 

caspian wrote:

Twas a good contest, nonetheless.

Been toying with this idea for about a couple weeks, but, after much deliberation, I frankly believe you deserve the honor...if you're into the subject matter, that is.

Amebix. Influential as fuck, but only a few reviews.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:56 pm 

I vote for THOR. Fucking awesome band, few reviews, extensive discography going back to 1977. Fuck!

sushiman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:54 am 

caspian wrote:
Worst review? Well shit, it's hard but sushiman "wins this. A decent review, just not up to the standards the other four guys contributed. PM me your address .. if you want my old copy of St.Anger.

HA! Only just noticed I 'won' this prize. Sorry mate completely forgot about this here thread. And yeah, nil effort on this contest compared to your Vitus one. Just couldn't get myself listening to Paul Chain at that time and the Wino-split review was almost an afterthought. Funnily enough, I'm starting to get him now. Paul Chain's general weirdness and acquired-taste nature might be the reason not as many people participated this time!

As for St. Anger I'm OK thanks, saw too much of that on MTV, though I'm tempted to make you spend on the postage in revenge for giving me worst review :p

WebOfPiss
Myopic Void

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:01 pm 

I don't get the praise for Chain at all. Undeserved.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:07 pm 

Hey caspian, you never got my PM with the address apparently.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:14 pm 

John_Sunlight wrote:
I vote for THOR. Fucking awesome band, few reviews, extensive discography going back to 1977. Fuck!

Thor is fucking terrible. The only thing he did well was write cool lyrics, and bend metal bars with his teeth.

I suggested Budgie for this contest, as they have a pretty big discography and fairly few reviews, given that they were covered by Metallica and cited as an influence. Caspian could even write a review in which he claims the Metallica covers are better than the originals!

Otherwise, to hopefully get a little more enthusiasm going, you could have people review anything Dan Swano has contributed to. He's done death, thrash, power, prog rock, etc. so everyone could probably find something within their "comfort zone", and much of it is still unreviewed.

caspian

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:35 am 

Empyreal wrote:
Hey caspian, you never got my PM with the address apparently.

nah I got it, just didn't bother opening it because I'm not gonna be able to do anything about the prizes until december or so. I guess that's why it got stuck in your sentbox or whatever.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:38 am 

Amebix seems a cool enough suggestion, though I thought of something even better. I distinctly remember WebOfPiss complaining about the Saint Vitus challange leading something along the lines of "unworthy people" to listen to Saint Vitus, so my suggestion is to pick Eyehategod for the next challange to aggravate the boy even more. :)

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

caspian

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:49 am 

they don't have that many reviews, either! hah, that would be great and definitely worth considering.

The main ones I'm thinking thus far:

eyehategod, budgie, deceased

(thor is a crap idea)

if anyone has any other ideas then chuck them in this thread, or PM me even.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:24 am 

failsafeman wrote:
Thor is fucking terrible.

caspian wrote:
(thor is a crap idea)

:annoyed:

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:07 pm 

I don't think Eyehategod is that good of a pick, mainly because they already have a fair number of reviews and their subgenre might count out a good chunk of reviewers. Deceased or Budgie on the other hand would probably appeal to a wider base of reviewers, and both have a larger selection of unreviewed material.

Naught
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:01 pm 

failsafeman wrote:
I don't think Eyehategod is that good of a pick, mainly because they already have a fair number of reviews and their subgenre might count out a good chunk of reviewers. Deceased or Budgie on the other hand would probably appeal to a wider base of reviewers, and both have a larger selection of unreviewed material.

I agree. Deceased has a large surplus of demos and compilations which would offer great opportunities for reviewing. Additionally, Deceased's full-length albums are lacking in reviews as well. Hosting a review competition for Deceased would be an appropriate decision given that the band is expected to release their sixth full-length album, <i>Surreal Overdose</i> (2011) this upcoming April.

sushiman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:20 am 

caspian wrote:
eyehategod

I'd enjoy this, or Goatsnake. I would recommend Runemagick as they are criminally under-reviewed but I wouldn't be able to participate, since I reviewed em all already. Same goes for Tarot.

Coffins would be fun. Lots of splits so loads of potential for us to cover other obscure bands at the same time.

I like the Swano idea. Or how about a Rogga Johansson-themed one? The only drawback being his projects tend to be startlingly similiar, so maybe not.

EDIT: Actually, for an epic challenge to cover a band who have an endless unreviewed discography and a substantial following, that should have been an obvious choice, Melvins.

caspian

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:31 pm 

melvins wouldn't be a bad idea but they don't have much of a following on the board. I'm considering doing multiple bands for the next challenge though (3 at the very most) so we'll see what happens. Coffins and Runemagick are also pretty decent suggestions.. This is all a fair while away from happening though.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:49 pm 

caspian wrote:
melvins wouldn't be a bad idea

I think it would be. Since nobody in his right mind would want to win a CD of theirs everyone would write poorly on purpose.

googens
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:10 pm 

droneriot wrote:
caspian wrote:
melvins wouldn't be a bad idea

I think it would be. Since nobody in his right mind would want to win a CD of theirs everyone would write poorly on purpose.

I would want to win a melvins CD….

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:13 pm 

Case in point.

Muhammadabbadabba
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:45 am 

Hmmm. When February comes around (the time I initiated my first review contest), I'll consider starting my Amebix contest, provided I have admin/mod approval. If they approve, I'll run the contest differently. I'll allow more people to compete, but I'd still want a more meritocratic system as before; don't want clueless morons to post shitty reviews. On top of that, I'll include...drum roll, please...actual prizes, including a grand prize of three albums (any format you please) and a t-shirt.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:22 pm 

Since three Amebix albums do not exist you could include Axegrinder just for the heck (and extreme similarity) of it...

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:27 pm 

Muhammadabbadabba wrote:
Hmmm. When February comes around (the time I initiated my first review contest), I'll consider starting my Amebix contest, provided I have admin/mod approval. If they approve, I'll run the contest differently. I'll allow more people to compete, but I'd still want a more meritocratic system as before; don't want clueless morons to post shitty reviews. On top of that, I'll include...drum roll, please...actual prizes, including a grand prize of three albums (any format you please) and a t-shirt.

Make sure to space it out from caspian's contest and the review challenge. Review challenge is usually in May, so that should be alright. Work out with caspian when you guys want to do your contests.

caspian

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:29 pm 

i won't do another one until next September I think. gotta space them out a bit more.

WebOfPiss
Myopic Void

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:47 pm 

Discharge is an option as well.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:54 pm 

A pretty neat one at that. The worst review can get a copy of "Grave New World" as a "prize."

Muhammadabbadabba
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:46 pm 

droneriot wrote:
Since three Amebix albums do not exist you could include Axegrinder just for the heck (and extreme similarity) of it...

I was referring to Arise, No Sanctuary (alright, it's a EP/Comp), and Monolith. I could also include the rather shitty live album "Make Some Fucking Noise," but I'll think about it.

Now that you're mentioning other bands, I also toyed with the idea of a Crust content involving Axegrinder, Deviated Instinct, Discharge, and Hellbastard.

On the other hand, I think a contest solely dedicated to either Amebix or Discharge will suffice; after all, most of these bands wouldn't be the same if neither band formed. I think I'll go with Amebix.

Muhammadabbadabba
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:08 am 

Update. After a bit of messaging with caspian, I've decided to begin my contest on the first week of February...hopefully. By then, I would've assembled enough prizes for the winners and runner-ups.

Tentatively, I have planned:
Grand Prize
Arise
Monolith
No Sanctuary
The Power Remains
Any Amebix t-shirt from Nightgaunt Graphics

"Close, but No Cigar" Prize
Axegrinder - Rise of the Serpent Men
Any Axegrinder t-shirt from Nightgaunt Graphics

"Prize of Stench" (thanks to droneriot for this suggestion)
Discharge - Grave New World

The aforementioned maybe subject to change come February, so let it be noted I'm NOT promising anything. I'm giving myself ample time to amend or revise the prizes. Any/all feedback is welcome. One more thing: people interested in participating, SEND ME YOUR SHIRT SIZES.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2