Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Bolth_Mannn
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:46 am 

I think I'm out. 20 is way higher than I thought I would get, and Im happy with what I achieved by taking part in this challenge. I may get a sudden motivation sometime this weekend, but for now, Im out.

sisters_of_merciless
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:03 am 

The software doesn't have any direct charting integration yet, but you can just copy and paste any of those tables into Excel!

whensunburnsred
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:54 am 

Thank you sisters! A lot of interesting statistics! You certainly did a good job. Also thanks to the mods who have been monitoring the queue and cleaning it every day. I think I can contribute with 4-5 reviews more.

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:35 pm 

Alright, after a huge number of further schedule set backs I've finally managed to put a few more reviews together. If all goes well tomorrow, which will be the only full day I can devote to reviewing, I may be able to slightly edge out my performance last year of 21 reviews. This has been the worst 10 months of my life in terms of scheduling and hopefully by the next challenge I will be able to get back up to speed.
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio (July 14, 1942 - May 16, 2010)

differer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:36 pm 

Nice job sisters_of_merciless, the stats are very impressive!

At this point I'm not sure if I should listen to any more albums for the challenge - probably won't. I still have six more reviews in the works to be submitted during the weekend, once I finish them I think I'm done.

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:01 pm 

had to go get drunk on wine and listen to Anthrax and black metal all last night. just woke up and can readily say i won't be writing anything for at least 4 hours. Gona watch these weirdo creatures on Tales from the Darkside run amuck instead.

sisters_of_merciless
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:11 pm 

Stats updated again. 52-49-46

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:28 pm 

DeathRiderDoom wrote:
Gona watch these weirdo creatures on Tales from the Darkside run amuck instead.

You see these every time you're hungover. Fuck, dude, you should quit drinking.

91% for No Sleep? Man, hells_unicorn must have heard a different live album to me.

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:37 pm 

lol, i think that's more of a mushrooms thing - and if it was, it wouldn't be a good trip. maybe get some reviews done later.

sisters_of_merciless
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:00 pm 

54-54-46, 369 overall

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:02 pm 

Oh man, I'm lagging behind like hell. Well, I did submit a bunch, so once they process through and are approved, then we'll see in the morning. Keep it up, sisters.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:03 pm 

I had a bunch I wanted to do, but as of right now I doubt I'll be able to do all of them. I just don't have it in me this time. I plan to write reviews for Southern Cross and Kaledon at the least though. Those I can do.

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:45 pm 

sseriously, i've just been drinknig from since i woke up. i was planning on writing some tonight, but since it's already 3:44pm and i've already polished a box and got another one goin' on - i don't think this will happen.

Malacoda
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:08 am 

I've submitted two and have written three more which still need to be edited. Is there anything special we have to do to speed up the acceptance process? Or is it just normal, and the mods are aware of what's going on?

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:09 am 

Malacoda wrote:
I've submitted two and have written three more which still need to be edited. Is there anything special we have to do to speed up the acceptance process? Or is it just normal, and the mods are aware of what's going on?

You must lavishly praise the new Briton Rites album and good things will inevitably happen.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:10 am 

Man, I'm really scraping the barrels (yes, more than one) now. I've completely reviewed everything from last night's demo download haul - that was about 20 or so releases.

The very, very last thing that I have that was on my original list of things to review that I completely forgot about was this: http://www.metal-archives.com/release.php?id=207896

Everything else has been long written so far, but this is a horrible abomination given to me to review. Just... :ugh:
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:26 am 

Might make double figures yet..

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:27 am 

ANationalAcrobat wrote:
91% for No Sleep? Man, hells_unicorn must have heard a different live album to me.

I think it's more that I have different ears, particularly when it comes to how the songs are interpreted with the two guitar format. I'm a huge fan of dueling guitar solos, and frankly that particular performance dwarfed the other ones that I've heard from that era (granted, there are one or two that were released in the early 90s that I haven't heard).
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

sushiman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:37 am 

Well, I just reviewed the new Anathema, thinking it was still virginal. I could have sworn there were no reviews up on Monday. Bloody hell! Oh well, I'm submitting it anyway.

caspian

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:40 am 

hehe, just for the record: I did a negative review of the same Trancelike Void album (the shite acoustic one) that Perplexed just did, but I submitted mine before his got accepted.

Wasn't done to spite him ;) I had no idea he was about to do one, of course.

edit: oops! I reviewed the acoustic EP, not the full length.

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:47 am 

You can't include sentences like "It might be good, but I'm assuming it isn't" in reference to a band's other albums in a review, then submit reviews for those other albums the same day. Now we all know you reviewed the other stuff while listening to it the first time!

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

caspian

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:50 am 

iamntbatman wrote:
You can't include sentences like "It might be good, but I'm assuming it isn't" in reference to a band's other albums in a review, then submit reviews for those other albums the same day. Now we all know you reviewed the other stuff while listening to it the first time!

Those reviews were written about an hour apart. I reviewed it on the 2nd play through :D

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:50 am 

hells_unicorn wrote:
ANationalAcrobat wrote:

I think it's more that I have different ears, particularly when it comes to how the songs are interpreted with the two guitar format. I'm a huge fan of dueling guitar solos, and frankly that particular performance dwarfed the other ones that I've heard from that era (granted, there are one or two that were released in the early 90s that I haven't heard).

Oh sure, the two guitar thing is really cool. But I've heard much better performances from that line-up and with better sound quality, too. Reportedly the whole live album was very rushed and cheaply done, no one in the band wanted to do it. If you've got the cash check out the two disc re-release of Rock N Roll with the 1986 Monsters of Rock performance. Much better. ;)

Perplexed_Sjel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:29 am 

caspian wrote:
Wasn't done to spite him ;) I had no idea he was about to do one, of course.

That's a first. ;)

I was under the impression it still counted as a review for both people who cover it? That's how it worked last time.

I've still got a list of about 50 virgins I have. No idea how I managed to find them all.

caspian

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:39 am 

yeah, points for both of us.

Btw - I don't know exactly whether you think I do or not, because who knows what the winking emoticon signifies :lol: But I've never set out to do a review solely for the purpose of spiting someone. Maybe to spite a lot of people (eg: Opeth review) but I'm not such a douche that I'd do a review to piss anyone in particular off. We just have really different views on DSBM, and I ended up with a shitload of it from an enthusiastic but misguided friend of mine. There's still more negativity to come! :D

Perplexed_Sjel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:29 am 

I thought so. Otherwise I have no idea why you'd do the latest Nadja efforts. I'm looking forward to seeing what you have to say on The Life and Death of a Wasp. The vocals are the weirdest I've ever heard.

I'll take your word for it, but it can look a bit suspicious at times. :P What with me being rape bait and all. :) If you want something to tear apart you should listen to Brocken Moon's debut. I suffered through that last night when reviewing it.

caspian

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:47 am 

shat out two more reviews. Double figures, woohoo! Also I seem to be WAY worse at reviewing then I last checked.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:53 am 

Alright, just submitted two more. I think I'll be able to get two more in by the end of this thing and that'll be about it for me.

Perplexed_Sjel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:44 pm 

OzzyApu wrote:
The very, very last thing that I have that was on my original list of things to review that I completely forgot about was this: http://www.metal-archives.com/release.php?id=207896

A black metal cover of Nightwish?

:lol: I hope not.

I'll write a few more tonight (hopefully) when all the football is over.

Sean16
Moody Tabulator of Torn Hymens

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:29 pm 

Alright one review finally written... And I'm afraid it will be the only one for this edition. I could keep Belenos for the next one...

At least I've saved the only thing I had left to save: the glory of having posted at least one review for each of the ten Challenges so far! I WON'T LET NAPPY BE THE ONLY ONE!

Lord_Jotun
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:08 pm 

OzzyApu wrote:

Everything else has been long written so far, but this is a horrible abomination given to me to review. Just... :ugh:

Holy sphincter - I just went through the reviews list and saw you sat through four of those abominations; I'd never have thought it would be physically possible, hence massive kudos to you.

For the record: this "band" is somewhat of an inside joke among us involved in the Italian underground, albeit a bitter, mirthless one. We still haven't figured out if the whole thing is serious or some sort of massive trolling campaign. As for me, I'd prefer not to find out, it'd be a hard blow either way.
Orgiastic Pleasures
Rust
Black Druid Hymns - my projects on YouTube

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:14 pm 

I mentioned in one of my reviews that this band couldn't possibly be a joke band because no human being would create such horrible recordings and then release it. It's just... inhuman. Thank oneyoudontknow for showing and sending me CDs from the band - cover arts and all. Needless to say, I chucked them all in the garbage after I finished that last one.

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:47 pm 

woke up this morning after getting drunk all day and not writing a damn thing yesterday. I really should've written a couple short ones while rockin' out but beer just seemed too hard to resist. Got a couple of german heavy metal albums done this morning, but my enthusiasm is starting to wane a bit already.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:48 pm 

With a bit of luck regarding my motivation I'll go out with something a little better than zero.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

sisters_of_merciless
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:01 pm 

67-67-54, 465 total

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:08 pm 

:ugh: I got a surge of sensitivity in my fingers and toes after seeing that score.

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:15 pm 

OzzyApu wrote:
:ugh: I got a surge of sensitivity in my fingers and toes after seeing that score.

I hear you, it looks like we're not going to get any where near the cumulative score that we'd hoped for. I can't say I've been much help as my schedule has been such a royal disaster that I'm barely going to match my lowest score of 21 reviews at the rate I'm going. Oh well, there's always next time.
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:39 pm 

If DRD keeps living his rock 'n' roll dreams I'll probably pull off a 4th place finish. Back to reviewing...

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:41 pm 

yeah its a shame we havent been able to push to the level we had a year ago. I could've got another 30 on top of what i have so far if i didnt start late and have band obligations (another practice this afternoon some time). I hope to have a total of 40 by the time the challenge is up.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:46 pm 

Ha, next time don't go Nikki Sixx on us and help us achieve the Metal Archives' collective rock and roll dream!

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next