Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Bolth_Mannn
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:05 am 

this thread is moving very slow...its my first challenge so excuse me, but it doesnt seem like we'll get a high score

GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:31 am 

Bolth_Mannn wrote:
this thread is moving very slow...its my first challenge so excuse me, but it doesnt seem like we'll get a high score

Oh we will. A many plethora of members will easily contribute 30+ reviews each, with the top players nailing over 60 like it was nothing. Not only that, but many other users that aren't posting per se will contribute. Also, a majority of the reviews come from members who submit under 10 reviews, as more users participating won't submit 60 or 50 reviews like the high hitters will. And that's not even mentioning those little birdies submitting virgin reviews without even knowing of this event.

So in summary, there will be a grand turnout of reviews. There always is.

Obligatory Last FM Link

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:40 am 

Bolth_Mannn, the spring contest last year didn't have such a big build-up, either. Only a bunch of returning champs promised to beat previous records and such - no one knew it'd go way beyond expectations. Then again, this is all I remember, with myself having churned out over 80 reviews - overkill, considering I did more reviews in that week compared to my previous 2 and some years on the site.

Then again, singles weren't restricted to 5, so I had a lot to work with. Now, I'm still just listening to a bunch of stuff and while trying to get a feel for new bands, so I can't exactly tell how much I'll get out.

If we get a hundred participants, that alone will be a record-breaker.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Bolth_Mannn
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:08 am 

Well I've never participated before, and im planning to knock out 10 albums...so thatll help I guess.

Leechmaster
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:20 am 

My last exam is on the 12th, so I might be able to fit in a couple if I'm feeling up to it. Doubt I'll write as many as I did last time though.

Pfuntner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:25 pm 

Alright, I've got a playlist of about 30 items to review. There are some singles in there, so I'm not going to be doing them all, but hopefully I can get at least 10 reviews in the contest.

These are always my favorite parts of the website.

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:38 pm 

I can't bring myself to review singles, but I do have a list of 30-40 full lengths and EP's, plus another dozen or so promos and demos, certainly won't go through them all though, I was just surprised I still had so many virgins.

Perplexed_Sjel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:40 pm 

I've got a list of around 110 virgins so far and it's increasing. I was surprised I managed to find so many. None of which are singles, between five and ten are demos and the rest are full-lengths. I'm quite pleased with the haul. I suppose I should thank my bitch, Gravskog, he recommends me virgins upon command. Thanks, babe.

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:27 am 

Perplexed_Sjel wrote:
I've got a list of around 110 virgins so far and it's increasing. I was surprised I managed to find so many. None of which are singles, between five and ten are demos and the rest are full-lengths. I'm quite pleased with the haul. I suppose I should thank my bitch, Gravskog, he recommends me virgins upon command. Thanks, babe.

better start stockpiling your reviews now then (if you haven't already)!

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:39 am 

caspian wrote:
Perplexed_Sjel wrote:

Way ahead of you. I've been stockpiling for six months!

Perplexed_Sjel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:41 am 

MacMoney wrote:
caspian wrote:
Perplexed_Sjel wrote:

And me since the last challenge! :)

sushiman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:51 am 

I got about fifty albums including a few demos, splits and EPs, what have you. As far as reviewing them all goes I haven't got a chance, my only effort at stockpiling has been a few rudimentary ideas jotted down on my notepad. Looking forward to it in a most enormous way however, I'll be in my new apartment the day we start and therefore fucking comfortable to boot. Nice way to break the place in.

EntilZha
Retired

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:55 am 

I should really pull myself together so we can accomplish the hattrick: Germany winning the Eurovision song contest, a German winning the review challenge, Germany winning the world cup.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:41 pm 

It would only be complete if Germany also won WWIII.

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:54 pm 

I thought he was joking, but then I remembered he's German. German sense of humour is not a laughing matter.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:06 pm 

The problem with the Germans is that in the late 1800s and early 1900s it was widely believed in the US that only Germans could draw good comic strips, so they were imported en masse to work for American newspapers. This led to a severe dearth of humor back in Germany, which many (mostly me) believe precipitated WWI.

MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:41 am 

Perplexed_Sjel wrote:
MacMoney wrote:
caspian wrote:

Which was six months ago. But what caspian meant is stockpiling, not new albums to review, but writing the actual reviews to a stockpile.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:41 am 

Due to recent personal disasters, I will not be participating :(

Best of luck to everyone who will be, though!

Perplexed_Sjel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:50 am 

MacMoney wrote:
Perplexed_Sjel wrote:
MacMoney wrote:
caspian wrote:

Which was six months ago. But what caspian meant is stockpiling, not new albums to review, but writing the actual reviews to a stockpile.

I hate to be pedantic, but it was longer than six months ago. :) And yes, I know what he meant ... He need not worry though. The more positive reviews I write, the more negative reviews he has to write. ;)

Sean16
Moody Tabulator of Torn Hymens

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:15 pm 

Stockpiling reviews for six months is against the rules :tongue:

But again, it seems I've been dispossed from my job of official reviews compilator (even after having said I agreed to animate this edition again...), so everything can happen. It means more time to write reviews, though.

Bolth_Mannn, the thread usually gets a lot of answers during the first few days when we're discussing the date, then is nearly put to sleep until the actual Challenge begins, so no need to worry.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:29 pm 

Yeah guys, stockpiling reviews is pretty gay. I mean if you're just stockpiling albums to review or you've taken a few notes while listening to 'em that's OK, but don't save reviews you've already written expressly for the purpose of submitting them during the challenge. That is missing the point entirely.

Perplexed_Sjel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:52 pm 

I hope people realise I was joking when I said I had been stock piling since the last challenge? Sarcasm is a lost art form on the internet.

I've got a list of reviews I want to do and I don't plan on doing them all. I've got ideas on what I want to say for a number of those albums, but only because I write reviews in my head when I listen to an album, even if I have no intention of reviewing it/and outside of a challenge. I've also been listening to some of these albums for half a year, or more.

caspian

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:23 am 

Perplexed_Sjel wrote:
I hate to be pedantic, but it was longer than six months ago. :) And yes, I know what he meant ... He need not worry though. The more positive reviews I write, the more negative reviews he has to write. ;)

Hardly, although that would help your persecution complex nicely. The only real musical difference we have is that you seem to love every single DSBM band in existence.

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:46 am 

I just realized that there's a mild timetable problem for me this time. I'll spend the Friday and most of the Saturday at Sauna Open Air, and the burden of modding will be on somebody else's shoulders for a day or two.

Anvil will be playing! Yay!

sushiman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:31 am 

failsafeman wrote:
Yeah guys, stockpiling reviews is pretty gay. I mean if you're just stockpiling albums to review or you've taken a few notes while listening to 'em that's OK, but don't save reviews you've already written expressly for the purpose of submitting them during the challenge. That is missing the point entirely.

Yes I thought something was amiss. I suddenly wondered if I was the only person just jotting down notes here and there.

That's the trouble with sarcasm online. You don't have facial expressions or tone of voice to indicate that you are, in fact, telling a fat one. Unless the context is put together sufficiently well.

Perplexed_Sjel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:03 am 

caspian wrote:
Perplexed_Sjel wrote:

Hardly, although that would help your persecution complex nicely. The only real musical difference we have is that you seem to love every single DSBM band in existence.

I look forward to reading more of your "WREHEH BLEEH BLEHE" reviews. ;)

GVOLTT
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:41 pm 

Hmm...the challenge might give me a good opportunity to do a review or two I've been wanting to do. I just need to improve my writing style a bit; don't really like the one review I wrote (for a past review challenge, too).

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:48 pm 

Perplexed_Sjel wrote:
..."WREHEH BLEEH BLEHE"...

What the hell is that? Engrish pig squeals?
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

MaDTransilvanian
Caravan Beyond Redemption

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:59 pm 

I hate it when I realize that some moron reviewed something I was planning to do for the Challenge. Shit, I planned on doing a good one for Manowar's Thunder in the Sky.

Evil_Johnny_666
Reigning king of the night

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:32 pm 

And there's people submitting the review for only one side of a split was planning to do the Horna/Sacrificia Mortuorum split for ages and realized only recently the dude didn't submit his review on the Horna page. Well, I can still review it someday.

Otherwise I think we can submit reviews one day in advance (tomorrow)?

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:34 pm 

You can submit reviews any time you like, if you don't mind them not being counted.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

Perplexed_Sjel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:43 pm 

OzzyApu wrote:
Perplexed_Sjel wrote:

Taken from a classic caspian review: "The song titles, the vocals that do little else but scream REHHHH WEHHHH WHEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRE (with the occaisonal BLEHHHHHHHH)". :)

MaDTransilvanian

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:55 pm 

Evil_Johnny_666 wrote:
And there's people submitting the review for only one side of a split was planning to do the Horna/Sacrificia Mortuorum split for ages and realized only recently the dude didn't submit his review on the Horna page. Well, I can still review it someday.

The same happened for me with the Kroda/Oprich split and the True Kings of Norway split.

oneyoudontknow
Cum insantientibus furere necesse est.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:05 pm 

MaDTransilvanian wrote:
Evil_Johnny_666 wrote:

The same happened for me with the Kroda/Oprich split and the True Kings of Norway split.

http://www.metal-archives.com/board/vie ... hp?t=66830
temporal issue ...
these will bite the dust sooner or later .-.--- -

My website which contains reviews as well as interviews:
https://adsol.oneyoudontknow.com
My podcast:
https://adsolmag.bandcamp.com/

MaDTransilvanian

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:49 pm 

oneyoudontknow wrote:
MaDTransilvanian wrote:
Evil_Johnny_666 wrote:

http://www.metal-archives.com/board/vie ... hp?t=66830
temporal issue ...
these will bite the dust sooner or later .-.--- -

Yeah I know, but that still makes them ineligible for the Challenge. Especially considering that I already did the Kroda/Oprich one.

sushiman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:02 pm 

MaDTransilvanian wrote:
I hate it when I realize that some moron reviewed something I was planning to do for the Challenge. Shit, I planned on doing a good one for Manowar's Thunder in the Sky.

Yup Nominon's Monumentomb got popped. I'll still review it but after the challenge now. I don't think quite as many have been taken out of my list as they did the week before the last challenge, still it's a bit irritating that some people don't seem aware and are blithely deflorating left right and centre!

MaDTransilvanian

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:24 am 

Due to availability issues (I'm going to be camping in the woods with my friends during the last two days of the Challenge) I've allowed myself two stockpiling days before the official start.

Just saying so you guys don't cry cheater if I submit a bunch of reviews at the beginning.

caspian

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:12 am 

Perplexed_Sjel wrote:
OzzyApu wrote:
Perplexed_Sjel wrote:

Taken from a classic caspian review: "The song titles, the vocals that do little else but scream REHHHH WEHHHH WHEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRE (with the occaisonal BLEHHHHHHHH)". :)

It was true though! That really was all the vocalist did.

Things are looking worse for me.. I've got no internet up here (or rather, no internet that I can leisurely spend all day on and smash out review after review) and there's some good swell coming on tuesday-thursday... and no offence, but I'd much rather be catching waves and having a good time as opposed to sitting on the computer hitting up wordpad all day. I'm hoping that I'll be able to squeeze ten reviews out of the way thursday night-sunday, but we'll see.

Perplexed_Sjel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:30 pm 

I was hoping to do the new Blood of Kingu, but it was taken out. I'm not too disappointed because, like the new review for it suggests, it's very mediocre. Definitely a step down from the last album and considering I'm planning on doing more negative reviews for this challenge than positive, I'm relieved I don't have to do one more.

Sean16
Moody Tabulator of Torn Hymens

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:00 pm 

Seems like this week will again be quite busy after all, so this isn't a bad thing I no longer have to do the counting :D

Still I have to write at least one review, no way I abandon the honor of being the only one to have written a review for every Challenge to the sole Napero! Unfortunately it just occured to me several albums I'd planned to review were no longer virgins... that's what happens when you leave the site for several months. Chemins de Souffrance by French BM act Belenos is still untouched yet so I'm likely to begin with this one, then... of course the "random crappy demo found on the Internet" option is still available, though far less fun :(

Anyway... still a few hours... be careful not to submit your reviews too early, as it happens every time ;)

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 12  Next