Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
discouraged
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:15 pm 

The Porcupeth Syndrome strikes again. - 40%
Written by Alchameth on April 19th, 2010

I'm a big Katatonia fan and I have a slight problem with this review:

Quote:
And what can I say about Blakkeim? Well, he's kind of dead. It’s a musician running on autopilot, churning out nothing but random clean arpeggios, nu-metal riffs and witless leads that go nowhere and have absolutely no context within the songs. And I’m not saying this because the leads are simple (‘My Twin’ had a simple but very effective lead under the chorus), but because they are sterile and convey no emotion, they're just kind of there because Jonas probably said something like 'Hey, um, Anders... I think we need some leads in there, did you forget about them?’

Either this guy didn't bother looking through the CD booklet or didn't do some research but out of the 11 songs, 8 songs (all of the music) are all written by Jonas Renkse.

2 other songs are done by both Anders "Blakkheim" Nyström & Jonas Renkse (Forsaker, Onward Into Battle)
and only 1 song is solely done by Anders "Blakkheim" Nyström (Idle Blood)

This may be a bit of fanboy-ism, but, there is no mention at all of Jonas playing guitar in his review and instead all of the blame goes to Blakkheim who played on three songs. Maybe he should resubmit his review with some actual knowledge of who played on the album.

zeingard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:24 am 

The appropriate thing to do would have been to either private message or email the reviewer in question so he could fix it up rather than acting like a dickish fanboy and making a forum thread about it.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:28 am 

Yeah, it's not really that big of a deal, just a minor factual error. It doesn't change any of his arguments. Hell, there was one review I wrote where throughout I was mentioning the wrong singer, who was in the band at one point but not on that album. Anyway one of the band members emailed me about it and I fixed the problem. He was very polite.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.