Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Young_Metalhead
Saanut kerran. Todistetusti.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:40 pm 

Hey mods. I was just wondering the site, remembering some reviews I wrote and guess what.
I wrote a review just before the site went to the backup server. I just can't seem to fnd it. Probably got deleted during the hard drive failure?

That's the message I got:

"Thank you Young_Metalhead for your contribution to the Encyclopaedia Metallum!
You have successfully added a review for Vox Corvus La Voz del Cuervo to the database.
We hope that you keep contributing to the Encyclopaedia in the future, to help it become the best Web resource for true heavy metal!

Sincerely,
Encyclopaedia Metallum"

I know I should have saved it, but I didn't so is there any chance my review could be anywhere on your backups?
Thanks in advance.
Let's be Google+ Friends
Sorry, almost everything is in Spanish...

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:34 pm 

Was that the review? If so, it was by deleted by Derigin (though he had initially approved it... guess he changed his mind). I can understand why: there are many spelling and grammar mistakes and the writing is generally weak. You might want to use a spellchecker or ask for tips to improve your writing in the Review Feedback thread.

Quote:
Gothic... But vertainly not metal - 40%

Someone recommended this band to me. Whoever did claimed that this band played gothic metal in the way Anabantha does. Well they're not even close to metal.

I'm pretty sure I've heard tons of gothic albums with the Lacrimosa effect: circus, harlequins, and stuff. This is just one more of those. At first when you look at the name of the band it might sound interesting to discover, but it isn't. It's just a band with a name that fools.

Now let's do the album: first and last songs are intro and outro. The intro ireminds me to a freaking horror movie that takes place in a circus!!! Then the second track is titled "El circo"!!! How impressive... There is nothing remarkable about those songs and they're lacking something to be a part of the metal community: electric guitars. Too many damned acoustic guitars, that sound like some movie in which Antonio Banderas would act.

Julia's voice is annoying unlike Marie's. She sounds like a gipsy singer not a gothic metal singer. She's not a soprano nor a classical singer, not even a growler. Her voice is freaking annoying. Track number 3 is full of her voice so don't expect to hear anything good.

Now comes the highlight (and probably the only reason why this band didn't received a lower socre) "Paredes Blancas" amking reference to the color of the walls in an asylum. An indeed it is a pretty insane song. It's like a conversation between her and her demons. The best thing about it is the lack of Julia's singing, and her voice isn't as awful when speaking.

Angelus reach a new level when trying to sound like a ToT song. Well at leats her voice gets better with time, it reminds me like hell to "Velvet Darkness They Fear" or "ToT". But it's over where it started. Next songs are just a mix between some styles that are not supossed to be mixed. Tango is the living proof that tango metal will never become a genre, and that this two styles should never again be mixed.

In the next two songs you will notice that this band tries to be the mexican copy of ToT, emulating their sound, with a girl singing and a man growling. I wouldn't mind if they made a perfect emulation of their style, not just a wannabe copy. If this isn't enough to convince you of how not-worthy this album is, then just let me finish.

Production is bad as hell. I mean I've heard bad productions but music was good, and when you got bad production and bad music everything is just fucked up. This album is not worth at all. Probably they will find another singer and things will be better for these guys. They've got a promising future.

Oberst_Orlok_SS
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:09 pm 

Speaking of spelling and grammer, it's ironic that the statement message encouraging correct grammer above the review submissions box is itself grammtically incorrect. It says:

Before submitting your review, we strongly advice that you read the following suggestions.
The verb should be advise not advice. Advice is not a verb. :-)

...she had a drug problem.

Young_Metalhead
Saanut kerran. Todistetusti.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:55 am 

Morrigan wrote:
Was that the review? If so, it was by deleted by Derigin (though he had initially approved it... guess he changed his mind). I can understand why: there are many spelling and grammar mistakes and the writing is generally weak. You might want to use a spellchecker or ask for tips to improve your writing in the Review Feedback thread.

Quote:
Gothic... But vertainly not metal - 40%

Someone recommended this band to me. Whoever did claimed that this band played gothic metal in the way Anabantha does. Well they're not even close to metal.

I'm pretty sure I've heard tons of gothic albums with the Lacrimosa effect: circus, harlequins, and stuff. This is just one more of those. At first when you look at the name of the band it might sound interesting to discover, but it isn't. It's just a band with a name that fools.

Now let's do the album: first and last songs are intro and outro. The intro ireminds me to a freaking horror movie that takes place in a circus!!! Then the second track is titled "El circo"!!! How impressive... There is nothing remarkable about those songs and they're lacking something to be a part of the metal community: electric guitars. Too many damned acoustic guitars, that sound like some movie in which Antonio Banderas would act.

Julia's voice is annoying unlike Marie's. She sounds like a gipsy singer not a gothic metal singer. She's not a soprano nor a classical singer, not even a growler. Her voice is freaking annoying. Track number 3 is full of her voice so don't expect to hear anything good.

Now comes the highlight (and probably the only reason why this band didn't received a lower socre) "Paredes Blancas" amking reference to the color of the walls in an asylum. An indeed it is a pretty insane song. It's like a conversation between her and her demons. The best thing about it is the lack of Julia's singing, and her voice isn't as awful when speaking.

Angelus reach a new level when trying to sound like a ToT song. Well at leats her voice gets better with time, it reminds me like hell to "Velvet Darkness They Fear" or "ToT". But it's over where it started. Next songs are just a mix between some styles that are not supossed to be mixed. Tango is the living proof that tango metal will never become a genre, and that this two styles should never again be mixed.

In the next two songs you will notice that this band tries to be the mexican copy of ToT, emulating their sound, with a girl singing and a man growling. I wouldn't mind if they made a perfect emulation of their style, not just a wannabe copy. If this isn't enough to convince you of how not-worthy this album is, then just let me finish.

Production is bad as hell. I mean I've heard bad productions but music was good, and when you got bad production and bad music everything is just fucked up. This album is not worth at all. Probably they will find another singer and things will be better for these guys. They've got a promising future.

:lol: now I get why was it deleted. Thoug I have to say in my defense that I usually make some "finger mistakes" while tryin to type too fast...

Anyway i'll try to send it again.
Thanks!!!
Let's be Google+ Friends
Sorry, almost everything is in Spanish...

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:31 am 

Oberst_Orlok_SS wrote:
Speaking of spelling and grammer, it's ironic that the statement message encouraging correct grammer above the review submissions box is itself grammtically incorrect. It says:

Before submitting your review, we strongly advice that you read the following suggestions.
The verb should be advise not advice. Advice is not a verb. :-)

Yes, I'm aware that advise is the correct verb - the above would be a simple typo. Thanks for pointing it out. As the guidelines say, even we aren't flawless English masters.

...By the way, it's grammar, not grammer, and that would be grammatically, not grammtically. ;)

Oberst_Orlok_SS
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:59 am 

I can't believe I made that misspelling in the process. Anyhoo, I'm happy to have been a small help as I saw that you went over and adjusted it. My Englische is no that good all the time either!!

...she had a drug problem.

Lisra
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 12:23 pm 

Since this topic is still here I just hijack it rather than creating a new one..

Apparently my review of Bring Me The Horizons first EP got deleted after it was up for some weeks. If it was really bad, no problem, bad reviews need to go, but I'd just like a few words about what was wrong with it so I can improve my writing. Thanks.

Nightgaunt
I'll Swallow Your Soul

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 3:15 pm 

Your review went up in smoke with all of the other reviews for the band when it (the band) was removed from the Archive recently. Little bits of cleaning (or 'perestroyka', if you prefer) like this will unavoidably have casualties from time to time--hopefully you kept a copy of the review on your computer in case you wish to post it on another site. If not, I can only apologize for the slight inconvenience.
The bizarre lattices were all around. Sticks and bits of board nailed together in fantastic array. It should've been ridiculous. Instead it seemed oddly sinister--these inexplicable lattices spread through a wilderness bearing little evidence that man had ever passed through...

oneyoudontknow
Cum insantientibus furere necesse est.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 3:25 pm 

Google cache has also not saved it... neither the Wayback Machine.

September 2013:
the 23rd edition of my magazine has been released:
https://archive.org/details/ADeadSpotOfLightNumber23

Analysis of band names:
http://www.metal-archives.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=103987

Lisra
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 3:28 pm 

Oh, I hadn't noticed that the band was removed. Well, good thing too. Thanks for the info.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.