Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 



Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Azmodes
Ultranaut

Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:44 am
Posts: 6096
Location: Gradec, Austria
PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:17 pm 
 

Deleted.
_________________
Junge.

Last.fm | Collection

Top
 Profile  
severzhavnost
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:16 pm
Posts: 766
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:19 pm 
 

ANationalAcrobat wrote:
severzhavnost wrote:
http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/Nokturnal_Mortum/Lunar_Poetry/2946/ANationalAcrobat

What happened to Ukraine in the '30s was not 'a few less cabbages on the table'. It was deliberate starvation of 10 million Ukrainians, one of the worst crimes against humanity. It shouldn't be talked about in such a dismissive joking manner.


Really? I'm quite aware of that, I know that Joseph Stalin held more than 'minor grudges', too. Therein could lie my terrible sense of humour. I don't ask Nokky M to censor their Nazi-boy, Jew-hate so I won't tone down my awful, black humour. If they want to actively encourage the suffering of one people, I'll makes jokes about Stalin's atrocities. It's not productive, nor is it mature, I know, but I'm fighting fire with fire.


Eh fair enough. If extremist bands appear here uncensored, then I suppose individuals' off-colour ways of expressing themselves must as well. Sorry for the bother.

Top
 Profile  
MeatWolf
Metal newbie

Joined: Sun Nov 19, 2006 10:32 am
Posts: 32
Location: Russia
PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:43 am 
 

severzhavnost wrote:
What happened to Ukraine in the '30s was not 'a few less cabbages on the table'. It was deliberate starvation of 10 million Ukrainians

Slightly more than 1 million died because of the actual starvation. "10 millions" appear when we start talking those who migrated and those who were not born because of the conditions. That's a first. The targets were all black earth peasants, not particularly Ukrainian peasants and certainly not particularly all Ukrainians in general. That's a second. I am sorry for the offtopic but please don't try to spread those lies and most of all don't make people enemies over nothing.

Top
 Profile  
severzhavnost
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:16 pm
Posts: 766
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:17 am 
 

Oh I hoped I was done with this topic. ANationalAcrobat explained that he's not uncaring about the sensitivity of his dark Stalin joke, and I was happy with that. Anyway I hope not to make an enemy of you or any Russian people! Stalin wasn't Russian, and all his actions were to secure his own power. Never in the best interests of the Russian people. You suffered under the Soviet hammer right along with Ukraine.

So while I understand you want to protect your country's reputation, there's no need because I'm not attacking you! Whether 1 or 10 million Ukrainians died in the 30s - well, correct me for history's sake if you like,,but nothing personal. Either way Russia holds no responsibility in my book. Have a good day.

Top
 Profile  
AcidWorm
Veteran

Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:37 pm
Posts: 2806
PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:52 pm 
 

This guy has some short minimalist reviews.
Quote:
This album still makes me cringe... - 60%
Rottrephile, August 23rd, 2003
Carcass is one of my favorite all-time bands. I do not, however, like this album. I'm not some close-minded "nothing but brutal death fuck anal probe shit blasting metal!!!" freaks, but I still can't make myself appreciate this heavy metal/rock approach. For what it is, Swansong is pretty good. It has some nice heavy riffs that wouldn't be completely out of place in any other heavy metal band. Sadly, I can't get over Jeff Walker's vocals accompanying this style of music. When I think Walker, I don't think heavy metal. The style is completely out of place with this style of music, and it shows.

As for the music itself, I can't say its all that bad. There's an overall nice groove to everything. If I had never heard of Carcass prior to picking this album up, I would have been far less disappointed. That not being the case, I've spent most of my time with these songs imagining a big riff monster to pop up out of nowhere and force me to bang my head thoroughly against the nearest blunt object.

If you're trying to get into Carcass, I would avoid this one until you've gotten a feel for the other, better material. Then again, if you've never heard of Carcass, you're a moron.

http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/C ... ottrephile

Quote:
Six Feet Under With A Different Name... - 65%
Rottrephile, February 10th, 2003
Let me make it clear that Six Feet Under is the shittiest gore concept band ever, with Cannibal Corpse a close second. That said, Murder Squad has the similar "groove oriented, thrash and mosh omitted" style of music. Whereas I have to hate SFU and CC because every single one of their songs follow a tight knit formula, Murder Squad seems relatively diverse. One notable thing that I immediately caught is that the drums are not the usual death metal bass drum blast beat session that most bands are using as their claim to fame. Instead, Murder Squad has an old school, almost rock groove to it. Think Blood Duster in terms of groove without ear bleeding double bass. If you're into speed, don't bother with this. If you're in love with the all too popular crap that Six Feet Under and Cannibal Corspe churn out, well then pop this cd in and jack off on your posters 'til your dick gets limp.

http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/M ... ottrephile

Quote:
Intense Goregrind... - 87%
Rottrephile, April 4th, 2003
First off let me say that this cd hits you like a pack of attack dogs with bees in their mouths so when they bark they shoot bees at you. That's how intense this is. The vocals are incredibly guttural in the vein of alot of the current goregrind that is coming out these days. There's also some nice high vocals that are mixed in the background for the most part.

The guitar and bass mix together to form a nice backbone of the song structures. Yes, that's right, the guitars are more the backbone than the drums. The drums blast along at a damn good rate, which really highlights the goregrind essence of Cattle Decapitation.

In short every song is killer, if not just a little repetative, so get the damn cd.

http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/C ... ottrephile
_________________
In reference to Baby Metal
tanabata wrote:
I heard one of the moderators blacklisted them because of his subjective opinion. Well If that is the case, you sir have shit taste and you ain't my nigga!

Top
 Profile  
MutantClannfear
Metalhead

Joined: Thu May 27, 2010 12:12 am
Posts: 2366
Location: United States
PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:47 am 
 

http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/P ... haossphere

Short and lame like the penis of an obese man with ED.

chaossphere wrote:
What...the...fuck? Seriously, this is utter shit. Basically it consists of a couple of random chords being played over a drum machine which was apparently programmed by a 3-year old mongoloid, and permeated by random samples of owls hooting. Words cannot describe how utterly shit this is. If you'll excuse me, i'm going to go acquire a nuclear device to destroy the entire Waikato region before it can produce any more retarded bedroom fucktard "black metal" like this and Gaylick.
_________________
Wilytank wrote:
Aeosphorus wrote:
there are post-black metal bands such as ...Sunn O.

When did we start calling Sunn O))) black metal and how soon can we stop?

Top
 Profile  
theunrelentingattack
Not yet ready for a custom title

Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:18 pm
Posts: 748
Location: United States
PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:14 am 
 

Acidworm, those are gone.
_________________
In a recent review: "I didn't expect any "new" record by any "new" band to blow me like this."

Top
 Profile  
theunrelentingattack
Not yet ready for a custom title

Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:18 pm
Posts: 748
Location: United States
PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:17 am 
 

MutantClannfear wrote:
http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/Plague_Impaled/Shadows_Night/64708/chaossphere

Short and lame like the penis of an obese man with ED.


I never told anyone I had ED. :(

Review is gone.
_________________
In a recent review: "I didn't expect any "new" record by any "new" band to blow me like this."

Top
 Profile  
HomicidalBreath
Metal newbie

Joined: Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:46 pm
Posts: 69
PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:40 pm 
 

http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/R ... linkavitch

Alright. The review title is "grindcore music totally sucks!". Chances are if you don't like grindcore, you're not going to like a grindcore album, therefore his opinion on the album is invalid. The guy even goes on for an entire paragraph talking about how much he doesn't like grind, how its garbage and annoying, goes on to say how he doesn't like any of the other legendary grind bands plus he makes some really lame jokes. It just doesn't make any sense to me, this would be like me reviewing a lil wayne album and going on about how much I don't like commercial rap, how his voice is so irritating etc. It may really turn away someone looking to get into grind music and one of its most legendary albums just because some dude thinks the genre sucks and goes on rather immaturely about what supposedly sucks about it.

Whether or not these are valid reasons to get it removed I'm not sure but I feel this should be expressed.
_________________
http://www.last.fm/user/TheArtofShred88

Top
 Profile  
androdion
Metal freak

Joined: Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:34 am
Posts: 5155
Location: Portugal
PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:32 pm 
 

Ugh, that was a really annoying reading experience... :grumble:
_________________
ANGST ISST DIE SEELE AUF
androdion@Discogs

Top
 Profile  
Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:46 pm
Posts: 3977
Location: At the Heat of Winter
PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:54 pm 
 

I'm really apprehensive about posting this in the Oven Fodder forum because this user has a ton of points (albeit almost totally from modifications). However, he only has around 70 reviews, and the Engrish level is just insane in some of these. Is it worth looking the other way this much when a user is a big contributor otherwise?

http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/O ... ehualiztli

Top
 Profile  
BastardHead
Magic Mike

Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2005 7:53 pm
Posts: 5479
Location: Oswego, Illinois
PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:03 pm 
 

Full disclosure: when it comes to working the review queue, I feel really uncomfortable telling users that their English sucks and that an otherwise good review need to be reworked simply because their grasp on the language isn't very good. I can reject a review for anything else and feel nothing about it, but I always feel really bad about rejecting reviews with a lot of effort put into them that just happen to kinda suck at English.

With that in mind, Tlacaxipehualizti is the only reviewer I immediately skip over when I see the name in the queue. His Engrish seems to always straddle that line between unacceptable and "not great but okay enough". Therefore I'm sure some of his worse ones slip through occasionally. We'll take a look. Any other reviews other than that Overkill one that you think really need a second look?
_________________
Lair of the Bastard: LATEST REVIEW: Job for a Cowboy - Sun Eater

Top
 Profile  
Metantoine
The XVI, dominar to over 258714 subjects

Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:00 pm
Posts: 8966
Location: Québec
PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:27 pm 
 

As an ESL writer myself, I have no pity! I checked many of his recent reviews and while the English is awkward, they're acceptable or at the very least borderline.

This one has some very sketchy lines.
http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/C ... ehualiztli
"I guess the key to the success is their metal feel to write pretty catchy and memorable songs."
"Maybe due to the entirety is served in very good way of thrashing music?"
_________________
BasqueStorm everywhere wrote:
LOL!

Metantoine's Magickal Realm
Halberd (doom/death)

Top
 Profile  
theunrelentingattack
Not yet ready for a custom title

Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:18 pm
Posts: 748
Location: United States
PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:04 pm 
 

BastardHead wrote:
Full disclosure: when it comes to working the review queue, I feel really uncomfortable telling users that their English sucks and that an otherwise good review need to be reworked simply because their grasp on the language isn't very good. I can reject a review for anything else and feel nothing about it, but I always feel really bad about rejecting reviews with a lot of effort put into them that just happen to kinda suck at English.

With that in mind, Tlacaxipehualizti is the only reviewer I immediately skip over when I see the name in the queue. His Engrish seems to always straddle that line between unacceptable and "not great but okay enough". Therefore I'm sure some of his worse ones slip through occasionally. We'll take a look. Any other reviews other than that Overkill one that you think really need a second look?


I ignore his as well. I haven't figured out how to get through them yet. I have no feelings rejecting any of them though but I do suggest either running them by a native speaker or bringing them to the review boards to get some help.
_________________
In a recent review: "I didn't expect any "new" record by any "new" band to blow me like this."

Top
 Profile  
Zodijackyl
Lazy Wizard

Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:39 pm
Posts: 5019
Location: United States
PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:38 pm 
 

It's a difficult judgment because they're very difficult to read, often I get stuck on certain lines that don't make sense, but if you skim them, you get the general impression and the description is more than acceptable. He knows the music well enough, but his writing is sort of the opposite of dismember_marcin - Marcin's reviews flow well despite his poor English, they're very easy to read.

dismember_marcin's reviews are like spoonfuls of delicious chunky peanut butter, Tlacaxipehualizti's reviews are like whole peanuts that need to be shelled.

Top
 Profile  
androdion
Metal freak

Joined: Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:34 am
Posts: 5155
Location: Portugal
PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:01 pm 
 

I know this subject has been talked to death but I'd like an official stance from the MA staff on this.

I was reading the new Colored Sands review, and out of curiosity I ended up checking the other reviews' scores, which lead me to realize that the one Bitterman wrote was now with a 0% score. Now, I know it wasn't accepted as a 0% because I read it when it came out and it was like 20% or something. So again out of curiosity I checked his other reviews and the guy dropped every single one of them to 0%. I mean literally every single review which was accepted with whatever score other than 0% now has that numerical value.

Now, I know reviews are accepted based on the text and if it's valid it's accepted despite the score. But here's the thing, what do you guys do when someone submits two dozen reviews with varying scores and then drops all of them to 0% just to make an impression? Wouldn't that qualify as "trolling" of some sort? As much as the reviews are valid in textual terms how much relevant are they when all they exist for is shock value? I must also add that I can perfectly live with shock value, but to have written content be accepted with a certain set of scores and then drop them to 0% just to troll our asses is something I'd consider a valid reason for deletion. It's not like they're relevant to anyone wanting a different opinion, just to amuse trolls and idiots.

So, I would really like that you guys could reach a consensus on this one and spit it out. I really think this is something you should/could loose a couple of minutes discussing, not because of Bitterman itself but because of the actual relevancy of the content he submitted.
_________________
ANGST ISST DIE SEELE AUF
androdion@Discogs

Top
 Profile  
HomicidalBreath
Metal newbie

Joined: Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:46 pm
Posts: 69
PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:23 pm 
 

I could be wrong as my memory is fried but I recall someone bringing up the same issue and the moderators have already commented on the issue. Personally, I don't agree with it either or any of his reviews for that matter but with that being said, that doesn't take away the fact that his reviews are actually well written. Just my opinion.
_________________
http://www.last.fm/user/TheArtofShred88

Top
 Profile  
androdion
Metal freak

Joined: Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:34 am
Posts: 5155
Location: Portugal
PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:05 pm 
 

Someone did do that, when he started dropping one or two. But he now has all of them at zero level. What I'm saying now is somewhat different.
_________________
ANGST ISST DIE SEELE AUF
androdion@Discogs

Top
 Profile  
Zodijackyl
Lazy Wizard

Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:39 pm
Posts: 5019
Location: United States
PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:38 pm 
 

I don't care at all about percentage scores and rarely look at them when I'm checking reviews in the queue. No, changing scores isn't a valid reason for deletion.

That's the best written of the current reviews for that Gorguts album, and now that I look at them, three of the five have obvious typos that I need to fix. For fucks sake, the first two say "Gorgut's" :(

Top
 Profile  
androdion
Metal freak

Joined: Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:34 am
Posts: 5155
Location: Portugal
PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:52 pm 
 

If that's what the Mod team agrees on then I won't mention this subject again.
_________________
ANGST ISST DIE SEELE AUF
androdion@Discogs

Top
 Profile  
GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2006 4:36 pm
Posts: 2653
Location: United States
PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:08 am 
 

It's the text that matters. In bitterman's case, however, he's simply writing reviews and scoring as such to get these responses and attention. His lowering of the score even further shows that he's either trying to drop the review average or reminding the easily trolled folken 'round these parts that he's still alive—the whining has died down a bit, so he's trying to rekindle the discussions and forum posts by shitting on the record even more via lowering the score. He's done this before, of course, after folks complained about his highest scores being a 20% or 10%, which were soon lowered to zeroes, much to the surprise of no one.

I may be the only mod taking this position, but, as you see, I think he's a pathetic jackass, and he's merely poking everyone with a stick now that his daily quota of angry internet posts isn't being reached as easily. Does the lowering of the score matter? Only if we want it to.
_________________
Ismetal wrote:
GuntherTheUndying IS THE GAY NUMBER 1, HE DOESNT LIKE TO READ THE TRUTH, SO I THINK THIS PAGE IS FOR GAYS WHO WANTS TO READ MESSAGES LIKE "I LOVE MY BAND", "THEY ARE MY LOVE"

Thrashpit
Last FM

Top
 Profile  
BastardHead
Magic Mike

Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2005 7:53 pm
Posts: 5479
Location: Oswego, Illinois
PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:30 am 
 

I personally think it's horseshit. The score is the least important part, yes, but that doesn't make it unimportant. We allow users to lower the score without sending it through the queue for the sake of convenience, and that fact that he's the only one to have actually abused this privilege over the past four or five years shows that it isn't really a problem. I do feel like he's an extreme case where if we ever do make an exception towards punishing somebody for something annoying that we don't normally punish for, it'd be him, but really I can't deny that his writing is good so there's really no reason to go further other than pure pettiness.

Basically I just echo Gunther's sentiment.
_________________
Lair of the Bastard: LATEST REVIEW: Job for a Cowboy - Sun Eater

Top
 Profile  
lord_ghengis
Metal freak

Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:31 pm
Posts: 5405
Location: Australia
PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:17 am 
 

This is clearly pretty much attention grabbing, I still don't think changing your score by ten points is worthy of rejection, its not like the scores mismatch the content. Dickish, but not rejectable.

And stop calling him a good writer guys, he's an acceptable writer.
_________________
Naamath wrote:
No comments, no words need it, no BM, no compromise, only grains in her face.

Top
 Profile  
oneyoudontknow
Cum insantientibus furere necesse est.

Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 6:25 pm
Posts: 5347
Location: Germany
PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:06 am 
 

http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Wi ... ark/369691
see the report
_________________

I write for these magazines:
http://swirlsofnoise.com/
http://againstmagazine.com/

Analysis of band names:
http://www.metal-archives.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=103987

Top
 Profile  
androdion
Metal freak

Joined: Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:34 am
Posts: 5155
Location: Portugal
PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:12 pm 
 

I know what all of you are saying and I get it. I know he's just whoring for attention (and has always been), and it's not like a drop in the average score makes me irk in any way. I was just mentioning this again because of what BH mentioned, that he abused that privilege to basically troll the users of the website. Now, we as regulars know not to pay attention or find any relevancy in his written speech. But what about newcomers that are reading reviews for the sake of actually getting some relevant information? That was the only reason why I brought this subject back from the grave, and as I said above it was due to a matter on the reviews still being relevant when the score figure clearly doesn't matter. Which to me, again, sounds like a clear abuse.

But hey, this isn't my joint right?! If you guys think the reviews are still relevant then I'm fine with that. I just wanted to point it out with this point of view in mind, that's all.
_________________
ANGST ISST DIE SEELE AUF
androdion@Discogs

Top
 Profile  
GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2006 4:36 pm
Posts: 2653
Location: United States
PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:29 pm 
 

No we understand, and I agree with you. Is it abuse? I think so, and I'd be thrilled to see him banned. But if users judge solely on the score they see, then why bother having reviews to read at all? The score is the most minor part of the review system. The idea that altering the score somehow makes a huge impact on the album's average is like pissing on someone's lawn and thinking you've ruined their whole existence. Bitterman can try all he wants, but in the end, the joke's on him.
_________________
Ismetal wrote:
GuntherTheUndying IS THE GAY NUMBER 1, HE DOESNT LIKE TO READ THE TRUTH, SO I THINK THIS PAGE IS FOR GAYS WHO WANTS TO READ MESSAGES LIKE "I LOVE MY BAND", "THEY ARE MY LOVE"

Thrashpit
Last FM

Top
 Profile  
Metantoine
The XVI, dominar to over 258714 subjects

Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:00 pm
Posts: 8966
Location: Québec
PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:34 pm 
 

One of my resolutions for the new year is that we stop talking about bitterman, that's what he wants.
_________________
BasqueStorm everywhere wrote:
LOL!

Metantoine's Magickal Realm
Halberd (doom/death)

Top
 Profile  
androdion
Metal freak

Joined: Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:34 am
Posts: 5155
Location: Portugal
PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:54 pm 
 

Yeah, this whole thing is a gladius alright. ;) Relax Tony, I'm making that resolution too. :p
_________________
ANGST ISST DIE SEELE AUF
androdion@Discogs

Top
 Profile  
AcidWorm
Veteran

Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:37 pm
Posts: 2806
PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:08 pm 
 

BastardHead wrote:
I personally think it's horseshit. The score is the least important part, yes, but that doesn't make it unimportant. We allow users to lower the score without sending it through the queue for the sake of convenience, and that fact that he's the only one to have actually abused this privilege over the past four or five years shows that it isn't really a problem. I do feel like he's an extreme case where if we ever do make an exception towards punishing somebody for something annoying that we don't normally punish for, it'd be him, but really I can't deny that his writing is good so there's really no reason to go further other than pure pettiness.

Basically I just echo Gunther's sentiment.

Guess I will throw in my 2cents. Isn't this a workaround for getting reviews accepted where the content does not reflect the score? I recall that being a rejectable offence for a review. Correct me if I am wrong though.
_________________
In reference to Baby Metal
tanabata wrote:
I heard one of the moderators blacklisted them because of his subjective opinion. Well If that is the case, you sir have shit taste and you ain't my nigga!

Top
 Profile  
lord_ghengis
Metal freak

Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:31 pm
Posts: 5405
Location: Australia
PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:38 pm 
 

I don't think he's changed the scores enough to make them not fit the review.
_________________
Naamath wrote:
No comments, no words need it, no BM, no compromise, only grains in her face.

Top
 Profile  
theunrelentingattack
Not yet ready for a custom title

Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:18 pm
Posts: 748
Location: United States
PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:00 pm 
 

The content reflects the score. Not a valid argument in this case.
_________________
In a recent review: "I didn't expect any "new" record by any "new" band to blow me like this."

Top
 Profile  
paradisebeyond
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:26 am
Posts: 9
Location: Faroe Islands
PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:53 pm 
 

sabbath6699 wrote:
What about these? They're 3 sentences:


Are you kidding me, Snxke? 52 whole points??? - 4%
Written by UltraBoris on November 17th, 2002


What he said. It's really that bad. I would give certain species of cow dung a better rating than this. Worst Sucktallica ever. Need I go on? If you liked Load, you might like this. That's how bad it is.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RIP... - 52%
Written by Snxke on November 17th, 2002


This single is a terrible reject of a song, only the looped drum/riff section is worth the effort to listen to and the weird "Fat Albert" vocals are just pathetic. Come on guys...even at your worst you weren't THIS awful...

AVOID!!!


I have found this user spends much time just trolling albums and a number of his reviews really don't meet any standards. Here's one,

http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/W ... UltraBoris

Why do I think it shouldn't be there?

- Contains bogus information, example: ""Winter Tears" is also pretty decent, though the vocals are just a bit over-the-top. The singer has power, but not much control (apparently, to fix that problem, they brought in Joacim Cans on the new album who has the exact opposite problem)."
Joacim Cans "was brought in" after the band had disbanded for nearly 15 years. So he was not brought in to fix that problem.
- Clearly displays lack of knowledge about the band/album under review, example: "Then, "Child of the Damned", which apparently is a classic, though it's kinda boring. It's got a nice main riff, but really the song is just a slight bit too long."
This clearly shows ignorance. Child of the damned was compiled in one of the Metal Massacre issues, "apparently a classic"?
- It's based on generic comments and vague, standarised and/or ambiguous information, examples,
a) Then, "Child of the Damned", which apparently is a classic, though it's kinda boring. It's got a nice main riff, but really the song is just a slight bit too long. -> anyone check, it's 4:04 in duration, bit too long?
b) It's soft - it's loud again - okay, it's softer again... and it appears to be kind of unintentional, at least not to that effect. This is both vague and confusing, and the writing itself, well, it's not Shakespeare.
c) Some of the songs are repeated from a few different versions, others just kinda drag on. This is vague, what are the "some" and the "others" songs?

Put simply, I don't think this meets any Encyclopaedia standards.

Cheers.

Top
 Profile  
AcidWorm
Veteran

Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:37 pm
Posts: 2806
PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:04 pm 
 

Most of your points are down to you just disagreeing with his opinion, and nothing to do with acceptability so they are not valid points to delete a review on. Boris has had reviews deleted in the past for not meeting the standards and if there any more then post them here by all means but just remember that first sentence I wrote. He does like to exaggerate for funnies.

I can agree though that the review is pretty bad with very minimal description, and track by tracks are frowned upon.
_________________
In reference to Baby Metal
tanabata wrote:
I heard one of the moderators blacklisted them because of his subjective opinion. Well If that is the case, you sir have shit taste and you ain't my nigga!

Top
 Profile  
paradisebeyond
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:26 am
Posts: 9
Location: Faroe Islands
PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:22 am 
 

AcidWorm wrote:
Most of your points are down to you just disagreeing with his opinion, and nothing to do with acceptability so they are not valid points to delete a review on. Boris has had reviews deleted in the past for not meeting the standards and if there any more then post them here by all means but just remember that first sentence I wrote. He does like to exaggerate for funnies.

I can agree though that the review is pretty bad with very minimal description, and track by tracks are frowned upon.


I'm sorry to disagree, AcidWorm, but I have to stick to what I said. The review contains a lot of misinformed/ill-informed comments and can thus result misguiding. I have provided ample evidence based on facts, it’s not down to opinions,
- "The singer has power, but not much control (apparently, to fix that problem, they brought in Joacim Cans on the new album who has the exact opposite problem)" -> This is absolute rubbish, already explained why.
- "repeated from a few different versions, others just kinda drag on" -> does this provide any guidance as to what the music sound like, any background information on the band, any specific, concrete information on any songs, or is just some vague, random chatter, which would better fit into youtube comments?

Top
 Profile  
paradisebeyond
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:26 am
Posts: 9
Location: Faroe Islands
PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:26 am 
 

AcidWorm wrote:
Most of your points are down to you just disagreeing with his opinion, and nothing to do with acceptability so they are not valid points to delete a review on. Boris has had reviews deleted in the past for not meeting the standards and if there any more then post them here by all means but just remember that first sentence I wrote. He does like to exaggerate for funnies.

I can agree though that the review is pretty bad with very minimal description, and track by tracks are frowned upon.


Even more, as you say he's a re-offender, another one,

"This is pretty commercial, and pretty horrible at times. It manages to not focus either on the spectacular lead guitar, or on competent songwriting, and just kinda goes through the motions a lot.

We have a few speed metal classics, like Rising Force and Riot in the Dungeons, and a few great shredding pieces like Faster than the Speed of Light, but then we have all kinds of crappy MTV-hit-wannabe songs like Heaven Tonight... so, pick your poison. If you like Winger or whatever, you probably would like some of this stuff. But if you want some consistently headbangable material, go for Marching Out, because the overall songwriting on here is pretty lacking.

That said, Rising Force fucking owns you."
http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/Y ... UltraBoris

Not very fond of that album personally, but I don't think this is up to scratch.

Top
 Profile  
AcidWorm
Veteran

Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:37 pm
Posts: 2806
PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:32 am 
 

That Malmsteem review was minimal and horrid.

And to keep this thread on topic, here are some more Snxke reviews that suck.
Quote:
Hoooollyyyyy evillll... - 93%
Snxke, November 19th, 2002
PrevFirst
This is the demo released before the single best album in Black Metal history came out. The classically tinged solos and the howling vocals are unparalled in metal history. This band is the band to mix the black of Venom/Mayhem and the classic metal of Iron Maiden/Mercyful Fate.

The mix itself is a little shoddy, and the production raw/rare and dead as hell. The peaks of an obvious four track recording exist...but who cares - the peformance tops the best moments of any other black metal band save Mercyful Fate...

If you want something in the vein of Iron Maiden and Mercyful Fate with hells house vocalist...this CD is a MUST HAVE.

Even better...if you want the precursor to the single best black metal album EVER...buy this NOOOOOOOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Resident Classics: Branded the Satan, Damned Grave, Elizebeth Bathori (edit - only on the remastered version.)

http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/T ... 6554/Snxke
Other reviews for this album with much better description.

Quote:
Wow! - 81%
Snxke, December 2nd, 2002
Oh...hairy chested headbanging awful metal...I mean wait...(ok ok ok...this is an inside joke between Al and I...)

Otherwise - this CD rocks some serious ass. No more bootleg production - no more cheesy (but fun) artwork from our own Ultraboris and dammit - the songs just move and move. I really like the Maidenesque bits and the pumping drum sound. I heard many of these songs in "bootleg" form and now it's nice to hear them in final form - and the band certainly can kick it into shape when they put their mind to it.

If you like Exciter, Iron Maiden and Judas Priest - this is a buy or die situation. It's also quite exciting as they've really arrived as a band with this release.

Viva!

Only review for this release but the description is very minimal.
http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/R ... Anchor1724

Quote:
UG! - 57%
Snxke, January 7th, 2003
Danzig has let his career fall well beyond the point of self-cliche. The Misfits were talentless but astonishingly catchy and fun, Samhain was eerie and bleak and his solo career ressurected the blues-metal end of the Sabbath world...

...then he lost his way, dabbled with a bad industrial-styled and has managed to bury himself in a deluge of boring metal, terrible ballads and bizarre techno-beats.

This new CD is nothing to crow over...in fact it's simply dull. Each song starts with a killer riffs and ends boring and detached. Only "I Luciferi" stands out, "Wicked Pussycat" has it's moments as well.

Otherwise, this is a cliched, tired release from a man with nothing left. This is for for a few spins, but compared to his better works such as "4" and "How the Gods Kill" it's a "junk food" release.

One line for the description doesn't cut it.
http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/D ... 2162/Snxke

You could probably just delete all his early reviews.
_________________
In reference to Baby Metal
tanabata wrote:
I heard one of the moderators blacklisted them because of his subjective opinion. Well If that is the case, you sir have shit taste and you ain't my nigga!

Top
 Profile  
paradisebeyond
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:26 am
Posts: 9
Location: Faroe Islands
PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:40 am 
 

AcidWorm wrote:
You could probably just delete all his early reviews.


I personally think many "old" reviews were submitted at a time when standards and reviewers of reviews were slightly different.

So, is the purpose of this topic to identify low-quality reviews, or someone's taking action on them?

Thanks.

Top
 Profile  
theunrelentingattack
Not yet ready for a custom title

Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:18 pm
Posts: 748
Location: United States
PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:43 pm 
 

paradisebeyond wrote:
AcidWorm wrote:
You could probably just delete all his early reviews.


I personally think many "old" reviews were submitted at a time when standards and reviewers of reviews were slightly different.

So, is the purpose of this topic to identify low-quality reviews, or someone's taking action on them?

Thanks.


We'll take action on them if we deem it necessary to do so, however, it sounds like you're expecting an immediate resolution because you mentioned it and that's just not realistic. That said - the best of Warlord isn't great and it's a track-by-track which we strongly discourage now but I'm still leaving it. I have however, rejected the Malmsteen review as that definitely doesn't meet current standards.
_________________
In a recent review: "I didn't expect any "new" record by any "new" band to blow me like this."

Top
 Profile  
theunrelentingattack
Not yet ready for a custom title

Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:18 pm
Posts: 748
Location: United States
PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:50 pm 
 

AcidWorm, those three were deleted and yes, we'll need to check some of these. There's a lot though but I'll keep this on the radar for now.
_________________
In a recent review: "I didn't expect any "new" record by any "new" band to blow me like this."

Top
 Profile  
paradisebeyond
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:26 am
Posts: 9
Location: Faroe Islands
PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:10 pm 
 

theunrelentingattack wrote:
We'll take action on them if we deem it necessary to do so, however, it sounds like you're expecting an immediate resolution because you mentioned it and that's just not realistic. That said - the best of Warlord isn't great and it's a track-by-track which we strongly discourage now but I'm still leaving it. I have however, rejected the Malmsteen review as that definitely doesn't meet current standards.


Mate I would not expect immediate action at all, just wondering how this works. For that I mean, after one user flags a review, do the moderators review it and then it's their call, is there some kind of debate, etc.?

In terms of the Warlord review, I'd like to definitely clarify my point. It's not that I disagree with the reviewer, which I do, but if somebody tells me an album is bad I want reasons, not just random or incorrect comments.

Thanks.

Top
 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 193, 194, 195, 196, 197, 198, 199 ... 205  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

 
Jump to:  

Back to the Encyclopaedia Metallum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group