...oh. Oops.

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:42 am 

http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/I ... t_I/21400/

Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:57 pm 

http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/Underoath/Cries_of_the_Past/161247/TrooperOfThrash/100741

Like bad UltraBoris, but without any of the charm or historical significance. Also, 5 years too late.

Master_Of_Thrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:23 pm 

http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/I ... 674/369808

The new review of The Book Of Souls is horrendous. The guy barely touches on the music and constantly bashes the band for being "too old for this shit". His 1% score isn't even justified. Might as well give it a big round 0%...

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:53 pm 

Master_Of_Thrash wrote:
http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/Iron_Maiden/The_Book_of_Souls/517686/rbright1674/369808

The new review of The Book Of Souls is horrendous. The guy barely touches on the music and constantly bashes the band for being "too old for this shit". His 1% score isn't even justified. Might as well give it a big round 0%...

Was just going to post that.

A member who seems to have joined just to write that shit (no other reviews and no modifications on the site). No paragraph without seeking to be the stereotypical roast-style critic with lame attempts to be funny while using only very general terms to describe what he's talking about. Sort of standard for a terrible review.

Not to mention the WORDS IN CAPS every now and then.

And incredibly uninformed: "Literally, this album is EXHAUSTING to listen to in it's entirety. I doubt many people have actually done it." Yeah, I'm sure not many of the tons of people who have bought the album have listened to it in it's entirety...

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:08 pm 

The best part is when he complains about the 4 minute intros that are apparently on every song. Which would mean only about a minute or two of half the songs are actual metal music - sure, okay. And the long epics all kick into gear within like 30 seconds or something and have no interludes or extended intros. Not sure if it's oven fodder, but as I said in the Maiden thread, shitty review anyway.

Master_Of_Thrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:10 pm 

Dembo wrote:
And incredibly uninformed: "Literally, this album is EXHAUSTING to listen to in it's entirety. I doubt many people have actually done it." Yeah, I'm sure not many of the tons of people who have bought the album have listened to it in it's entirety...

Yeah, I even chuckled when I read that sentence. I sure as hell listened to the album in its entirety many times, and I'm sure most if not all Maiden fans listened to the whole damn thing (notice how he used the wrong its too).

To be fair though, it reminded me of my Deicide review, where I did the same thing by bad-mouthing Glen Benton every two sentences. Now that I've been getting more into death metal than I was a year back, Deicide's self-titled isn't as bad as I said, but it's still not great.

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:12 pm 

Dude's rambling about the lyrics are also pretty shabby. Okay, "Speed of Light" is a bit all over the place. Other than that, apparently he couldn't be arsed to google R101, so that makes it a "nonsensical topic". :rolleyes:
It’s so powerful that your stomachs will damn.
Bulgogi Kimchi Bibimbap waffle burger! Holy shit! litterally shit!

Roffle_the_Thrashard
Thrash Slinging Slasher

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:32 pm 

Plague's review for Pantera's Official Live: 101 Proof is fairly shabby. There's improper formatting, poor grammar and sentence structure, spelling mistakes, and it's just not a fun review to read.

http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/P ... lague/3161

Lane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:54 am 

Master_Of_Thrash wrote:
http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/Iron_Maiden/The_Book_of_Souls/517686/rbright1674/369808

I think this is a 100% oven fodder review.

"Songs written STRICTLY color-by-numbers with ZERO deviation from the now established "Iron Maiden Guidelines for Songwriting" which have been in place since 1995."

This. I've met a lot of people who complain that every Iron Maiden is similar. On every album, that is. Oh yes, definitely... Not! Let's pick the most obvious piece on this new album: 'Empire of the Clouds'. Now does it really remind of any other IM song? I might add that another Dickison song here, which is more like his solo material (which it was meant to be).

I would understand this problem, if it was real, but I cannot see it. Okay, I'm an IM fan boy, but still it is a problem that does not exist. I'm not waiting these legends to write a metalcore song...

And then, it's rbright1674's first review. I wonder would there be others from this person? Not the first time,when some legendary (for reason or then not) band gets a bad review from a newbie, and the review remains the only one from that person?

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:31 am 

Lane wrote:
I think this is a 100% oven fodder review.

The review stays.

You don't agree with him; that doesn't make it oven fodder. Nor does the fact that it is his only review.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:59 pm 

The review we're talking about wrote:
It's an album of phoned in, uninspired, tedious to listen to, mid tempo ho-hum "same old same old" doldrums from an overly old band of grizzled, washed up, once great rivet-heads who have LONG since lost the plot and dissolved into meandering, plodding, out of shape parodies of what they used to be.

Any review that contains a line that so succinctly sums up what the album really is like that should stay unless the rest of it is just "Screw Flanders" 176 times.

Lane wrote:
Okay, I'm an IM fan boy

And I think we've discovered the problem here.

In all seriousness though, it's not a particularly great review, and the formatting is kinda wonky but not really rejectable, but otherwise it's totally fine. Yeah the score seems hyperbolic maybe but who's to say he didn't legitimately hate the album that much? Not I, not us, not you. I'd probably only give it three points myself but we have the three pointer option for a reason.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:47 pm 

Diamhea wrote:
Nor does the fact that it is his only review.

Just for the record, when I said "seems to have joined just to write that shit (no other reviews and no modifications on the site)", I didn't say it as a reason to delete it. I was just saying what it seems like.

The main reason to delete it was "No paragraph without seeking to be the stereotypical roast-style critic with lame attempts to be funny while using only very general terms to describe what he's talking about".

The secondary reason was "And incredibly uninformed: 'Literally, this album is EXHAUSTING to listen to in it's entirety. I doubt many people have actually done it.' Yeah, I'm sure not many of the tons of people who have bought the album have listened to it in it's entirety..."

Also show by something Empyreal pointed out: "he complains about the 4 minute intros that are apparently on every song".

Third at weakest reason was the low-quality, middle school way of writing in general: "Not to mention the WORDS IN CAPS every now and then".

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:15 pm 

Actually Dembo, he is probably right. There were many rabid IM fanboys who tried writing premature reviews, through blind enthrallment or simply trying to be the first to the punch (happens for many bigger bands/albums). Many of them read like they were pieced together before an entire playthrough. I'm sure this is worse on less-enforced mediums like Amazon reviews, etc.

And again, it describes the music sufficiently. I can't believe you guys are trying to justify nuking a review simply for having an opinion contrary to yours. It isn't like he is the only one shitting on the album, either.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:23 am 

It is a terrible review, but yeah I don't think it's really oven fodder. I don't agree with gasmask's review of it at all, but he did a much better job at reviewing it than that 1% one did.

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:01 am 

Diamhea wrote:
I can't believe you guys are trying to justify nuking a review simply for having an opinion contrary to yours.

I'm not going to speak for others, but none of the three points in my last post is about a difference of opinion regarding the quality of the album. In fact, I've never expressed any opinion about the quality of the album on this forum or the main site (or any album by any artist that I could think of, apart from like two reviews I had many years ago and deleted myself). I could have given The Book of Souls anything from 0 to 100 for all anyone here knows.

Here's something that's different from my opinion:
Empyreal wrote:
It is a terrible review, but yeah I don't think it's really oven fodder.

I'm struggling to understand how a review can be categorized as terrible and considered worthy of keeping, by one and the same person at one and the same time.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:17 am 

Dembo wrote:
I'm struggling to understand how a review can be categorized as terrible and considered worthy of keeping, by one and the same person at one and the same time.

The site is impartial. We judge submissions against the same criteria, or as best we can for something as personal/subjective as writing. The primary goal of a review as we see it is describing the music sufficiently. This review succeeds in that. Is it great? Fuck no. Is it even good? Nah. But I don't look for this when I moderate the review queue. The content is acceptable, and the formatting checks out so end of story.

Last.fm

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 4:26 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
we have the three pointer option for a reason.

I'm amazed at some of the justification being used here. He says it's an album loaded with 4 minute intros and we'll see NOPE NOT EVERY SONG HAS A 4 MINUTE INTRO FACTUAL INACCURACY DELETE, and he'll say he doubts anybody can sit through it because it's so exhausting and we'll see NOPE I KNOW LOADS OF PEOPLE WHO SAT THROUGH IT FACTUAL INACCURACY DELETE.

Stahp.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:07 pm 

http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/P ... u_y_a/3276

I guess technically it describes the music, but the formatting and exclusively track by track description makes it stand out like a sore thumb, I'm pretty sure this is worthy of being canned.

Edit: I'd suggest a mod take a look at the rest of this guy's reviews as well, I don't think all of them need to be canned but some of them look like they might also be bad enough to deserve it.

KaiKasparek wrote:
Every Ozzy solo up to No More Tears is essential USPM

Jophelerx wrote:
If you think heavy metal and USPM are the same, why use the term USPM at all?

KaiKasparek wrote:
Exactly.......

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:20 pm 

I don't really have time to go through them all, but I did get rid of the linked example.

Roffle_the_Thrashard
Thrash Slinging Slasher

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:15 pm 

The first two paragraphs don't even relate to the album at all.

http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/I ... l51/134460

Master_Of_Thrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:50 pm 

Quote:
And then we come to the sub-genres. Glam, thrash, black, symphonic, hair...

Glam and hair are the same subgenres, dipshit.

Sokaris
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:06 pm 

This guy has heard exactly three bands, counting the one that's being reviewed:

http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/S ... lial/54124

http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/S ... lial/54124

Muhammadabbadabba
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:44 pm 

Both reviews for Symphony of Sorrow's debut album are subpar, but Swedhawk's review demands to be scorched, especially on account of its numerous distracting misspellings and terrible formatting.
http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/S ... ost/91038/

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:38 pm 

Muhammadabbadabba wrote:
Both reviews for Symphony of Sorrow's debut album are subpar, but Swedhawk's review demands to be scorched, especially on account of its numerous distracting misspellings and terrible formatting.
http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/S ... ost/91038/

Atrocious. Nuked.

Last.fm

MercyfulKing
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:29 am 

http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/Cirith_Ungol/Frost_and_Fire/1765/Valfars_Ghost/362797

This one is crap. Bashes the band for having a "weak" singer. While does talk about the music a bit, he then goes out of his way to call them a "unintentional parody", like hes trying to be witty.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:03 am 

MercyfulKing wrote:
http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/Cirith_Ungol/Frost_and_Fire/1765/Valfars_Ghost/362797

This one is crap. Bashes the band for having a "weak" singer. While does talk about the music a bit, he then goes out of his way to call them a "unintentional parody", like hes trying to be witty.

Sorry, not nuking reviews because you disagree with the opinion; not the point of this thread.

Describes the music enough and is coherently written. Stays.

Last.fm

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:36 pm 

This review is for the wrong album. It's for Ace of Spades, but he's actually talking about the 1993 compilation called Ace of Spades
http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/M ... chor107581
http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Mo ... ades/65636

Secondary, I have no idea what he is talking about, but maybe that's just me?

Spoiler: show
Lemmy and the band plays for my knowledge hard rock mainly. The mainstream sound of the first Motörhead releases play for nothing particular concept. The latter stuff focuses more of the phantom illusions that psycho minds and talented artists create. The No More Tears with Ozzman is another example of the multitalent and complex Mr. Lemmy. The Motörhead stuff is about personal demons, women and drugs. When one of those matters are haunting you, you just need this album.

Ace of spades is a fast scyther where the ego of Mr. Kilmister is blown as big as the Jupiter itself. The power melodies are based on pure rock and personal voice by Kilmister. The shifty waves of the opener and Talking Head really fires up the listener. And they better watch out, because they are in for a rough ride. The propagandic Dancing On Your Grave is another personal favourite. Overkill leaps for something weird, but is cut tad too short to provoce any brain orgasms. Talkin Head heads for destruction, and on a mental note it kinda delivers actually good (pure mad) guitar solo.

The grumbling of Lemmy is like a gorilla with a microphone. Now, I mean that the album has natural power in it. Although I prefer for the later stuff like Inferno this is where Mr. Lemmy started his musical career which prefers rock and dismisses pop hooks. The sound and songs snatch kinda nicely to your ears and thats what you need if you want to become totally deaf before the age of 30. Listening this kind of music is best in the sunny mornings and totally depressing in the rainy nights. Prefer this, I do. You know this is a fun little drive, althought I had the gut instinct telling me that it just wasn't that good if you know what I mean.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:56 pm 

Quote:
Ace of spades is a fast scyther

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:20 pm 

http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/J ... rfeed/8081

Format's a little weird at the start, then there's practically no musical description. States that "many of the songs here are the best Judas Iscariot ever recorded." in what way? And, "however, while he first song is genius, the next three tracks seem lackluster by comparison." in what way??
It’s so powerful that your stomachs will damn.
Bulgogi Kimchi Bibimbap waffle burger! Holy shit! litterally shit!

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:53 pm 

Nuked all that crap.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 4:33 pm 

No description of the music to be found here, just a lot of ranting.
This is what comes closest: "we instead get the metallic equivalent of something you’d hear on “Now THAT’S What I Call Music!”"
I have no idea what that would sound like.

Throughout history, many a fall from grace has been bestowed upon our sad, sordid reality, both mythological (Lucifer from Heaven) to impractical (Rob Blagojavich turning Illinois into a further laughing stock than it was prior to his criminal notions), and while such dust-ups were best left as humorous fodder amidst the pages of tabloids worldwide, the musical side of such things always seems to resonate the most with all of us. Never you mind the pop-star meltdowns of Spears and company (after all, that’s not MUSIC…); this is more abhorrent and noticeable in the underground/mainstream metal spectrum, where top-of-the-pops acts who once possessed a glimmer of humanity let it all go astray in the name of replacing every S with a $. We all know who did such displeasing scenarios, and we don’t like it one bit…especially since, you’d think, after all these years certain bands should know better.

And such a fine example is here, the deciding sin of Nightwish…

It wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be.
It was far, far, FAR worse…

If I thought “Once” was the creative nadir of the group, then “Dark Passion Play” beats that dead horse so deep into the ground it’s halfway to China. What a wreck. What a fucking pitiful, miasmic, ignominious, hollow, tasteless, burnt beyond recognition WRECK! I’m talking both the album and the band, here, by the way. I swear, the whole time I subjected myself to this Abu Ghraib-style musical torment I sat numbly, my eyes barely blinking and mouth agape in utter disbelief and confounded silence. I really gave this excursion into maddening fury an honest, go-for-broke try, but I couldn’t take it. It’s just so horribly lifeless, so self-centered, so short-sighted, so very, very…UGH! There’s pretty much nothing left of the original Nightwish, where instead of the powerful, emotional, simultaneously uplifting and depressing works of art, we instead get the metallic equivalent of something you’d hear on “Now THAT’S What I Call Music!” volume googolplex. What an utter abomination, from first song to last, this album is, and I hated every second of it, every second that was stolen from me so horridly that I may or may not consider filing a lawsuit against the band to get my lost time back. No amount of better symphonic head-bashingness, guitar/bass interludes, or percussive niceties would ever redeem “Dark Passion Play” in ANY walk of life…even the mighty pipes of Marco Hietala, who is still more than on his mark, could even dent the diamond-hard worthlessness this album portrays. And at the helm of it all is poor Anette Olzon, who probably had no idea what she was getting into, or how big those shoes she’d be filling would be. I will say this, at the very least…the woman can sing. That’s fairly obvious. But coupling her Amy Lee-style warblings with a band like The Nightwishers just doesn’t gel in the least. She’s just not a good fit…not as a result of her replacing someone like Tarja, but because her approach is so much different than the band’s in general. It just ain’t workin’. The way I see it, if she were to end up in a style more befitting her particular voice, she’d shine rather brightly (I recall her vocal work on Pain’s latest album sounding pretty nice), but in this walk of life it’s just so diarrheic, and not by any inability on her part. It all falls squarely on the Christ Illusionary shoulders of Mr. Holopainen and his every attempt to sling more dung onto the legacy of what was once a promising and talented symphonic metal act now thrown under the bus in the name of every dollar sign and gawth douche bag the world over, as the likes of “Bye Bye Beautiful”, “Master Passion Greed”, and “Amaranth” are concerned. Oog…I think I need some Valium and two bottles of Listerine to wash out all this bile…

In the end “Dark Passion Play” is, by and large, one of the worst albums I’ve ever had the misfortune of knowing exists. With this single act of stylistic treason, Nightwish is now officially dead in my eyes, and any further recorded works from them will only go ignored, if not demonized, no matter how much all of you would claim that it’s the best thing to hit the metal world since “Number of the Beast”. No fucking THANKS!

http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/N ... chor116283

raspberrysoda
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:21 am 

http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/C ... ering/9343

This is nothing but tasteless ranting- why was it accepted?

stainedclass2112 wrote:
It was a joke you darn can of fizzy sweetened liquid

BastardHead wrote:
Somebody is getting murdered but poor razz just wants his beauty sleep.

Master_Of_Thrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:18 pm 

http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/W ... cker/88090

There's hardly any description on the music. He makes a couple of points about the drums and whatnot, but really it's just a rant about how he thinks this band is just another shitty new wave thrash band. Waking Into Nightmares doesn't sound like anything Megadeth or Exodus have done, and it's a massive improvement from War Without End.

Morton Salt
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 4:35 pm 

http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/Hallows_Eve/Evil_Never_Dies/83265/

Gives the album an 85% but says it's "middle of the road" and "mediocre"? Huh?

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 4:53 pm 

Scoring is subjective, he can give it any rating he wants. Review is fine...

Last.fm

Roffle_the_Thrashard
Thrash Slinging Slasher

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 7:19 pm 

http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/J ... o19/141849

Does not describe the music to a satisfactory level. Spelling mistakes are also present.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 7:33 pm 

Poof.

Last.fm

Rykov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 12:56 am 

http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/I ... main/9446/

Pretty much no musical description other than mentioning that the guitars are downtuned and the drummer utilises a lot of double bass, which seems par for the course for a brutal death metal album.

mastamonkeynutz wrote:
Also if you want to make a joke please do so but please put lol after so I can know that Fred Durst isn't really dead.

Roffle_the_Thrashard
Thrash Slinging Slasher

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:00 pm 

http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/C ... swear/7436

When the first phrase in a review is "LOL," then I think that it needs to be ousted. That's not even taking into account the horrendous formatting.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 207, 208, 209, 210, 211, 212, 213 ... 239  Next