Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
mjollnir
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:15 pm 

Maybe not actual oven fodder but is there anything that can be done about the formatting?

http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/L ... nner/26602

Like your reviews?

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:59 pm 

poof

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:51 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
So I killed that review but I saved it for posterity's sake. Just so I can share with the class.

Spoiler: show
Quote:
Not long time ago I had to listen Grabak’s CD “Serpent Within Paradise” (2003), this album gave me pleasant impressions in general, and I, naturaly, wanted to listen early works of this band. “Encyclopaedia Infernalis”, unfortunately, don’t excuse my expectations. This is a very BORING not very fast black metal such as Marduk, Dark Funeral etc. This album starts to exert the listener beginning from third song, closer to the end of this shitty album I want to turn off my CD-player. There is no interesting guitar riffs (practically) on this album, the melodies oppress unhappy listener, but material played quite professional. There are no hits. Only “Im Angesicht Des Drachen (outro)” can be single out from other tracks. I only may to mark not so bad basic vocal – typical “toad”. I listened this album two times (for the fullness of feelings), but result was unchanging – CD is bad, but not horrible (there is much worthy works in black metal), simply bad.

Haha, yeah I was going to say somebody should save it, I almost quoted the "typical toad... sentence?" also. The whole review was gold, fool's gold.

MonumentalBlackArt
Magic Mike Jr.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:33 pm 

The line: "I listened this album two times (for the fullness of feelings)," needs to put as a rule somewhere. Maybe in the "How many times to listen to before review?" thread.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:18 pm 

listen album two times = fullness of feelings, it all makes sense now. This guy is a genius! He is probably still hard at work on his second review.

~Guest 125312
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:37 pm 

thrashmaniac87 wrote:
Oh I know how despised his reviews are but I believe this one is especially worthy of nuking. His recent Whiplash review gave me a serious headache.

That's flattering, coming from a guy who has actually written 5 reviews in his entire life. Quantity doesn't equal quality but you need certain credibility to support your insulting criticism.

There's always someone going like “you can't give this album a higher rating than this other one, because I said so” or “don't give this band a bad review, because I like it” - from my point of view that's not a constructive, reasonable attitude - you should learn to show respect for other people's opinion, which might not be the same as yours, before jumping in to criticize.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:54 pm 

Maybe you should put effort into writing good reviews for once, rather than whining on this forum when people don't like the ones you did in the past. And I've done more than five reviews in my life, so you can't even use the same shitty, immature defense as with that other guy.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:57 pm 

Rule #1 of writing reviews: Grow thick(er) skin. Not all criticisms will be constructive, many will appear to have no basis in logical fact at all. Don't let it drive you crazy, Metal_Thrasher90. They are getting the reaction intended.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

thrashmaniac87
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:28 pm 

Metal_Thrasher90 wrote:
thrashmaniac87 wrote:
Oh I know how despised his reviews are but I believe this one is especially worthy of nuking. His recent Whiplash review gave me a serious headache.

That's flattering, coming from a guy who has actually written 5 reviews in his entire life. Quantity doesn't equal quality but you need certain credibility to support your insulting criticism.

There's always someone going like “you can't give this album a higher rating than this other one, because I said so” or “don't give this band a bad review, because I like it” - from my point of view that's not a constructive, reasonable attitude - you should learn to show respect for other people's opinion, which might not be the same as yours, before jumping in to criticize.

That first paragraph doesn't makes any sense. You say quantity doesn't equal quality but you're implying that it does.

untappd: patrick_g

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:20 pm 

You don't need to be good at something to point out somebody else sucks at it. I don't need to be a good cook to know my steak is burnt.

Instead of wanting to understand what he and others don't like about your reviews in an attempt to either improve or at least explain yourself, you instead jumped for reasons why you shouldn't have to listen to him. That's the attitude of somebody who will never improve because they just simply don't want to. It's not that you might have a problem, it's that everybody else is wrong.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Tlacaxipehualiztli
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:40 am 

Too short for nowaday MA standards I guess:

http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/N ... nom/61466/

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:43 am 

http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/D ... es88/87854 - Such boring, plain description is really not needed when the album has 11 other reviews.

Ancient Sunlight
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:54 pm 

Tlacaxipehualiztli wrote:

D'aaaww, he's so enthusiastic. (I suppose that guy is enthusiastic in general: three reviews with scores of 100, 99 and 98!)
"One of my mottos is: anything has a value if you know what it is. If you can say what the thing is, the value becomes apparent. It may be a very small value. It may be a negative one. I also swear by Gertrude Stein’s wisdom, 'Description is explanation.'"

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:25 pm 

Tlacaxipehualiztli wrote:

Gone.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:57 pm 

Acrobat wrote:
http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/Destruction/Release_from_Agony/4320/LOGrules88/87854 - Such boring, plain description is really not needed when the album has 11 other reviews.

It doesn't matter how many reviews the album has, but a review with shit formatting and no description past vague superlatives is gonna get the boot regardless. Adios.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

NoKnownName
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:15 pm 

http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/V ... tion/40742

Track by track, eye-searing formatting.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:45 pm 

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:46 am 

http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/E ... and/47727/

Zero musical description outside of calling Endor an instrumental. All he has to say is that both songs would be great if they were recorded properly and that Creeping Death was stolen from Die by His Hand, which could not be any farther from the truth.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Woolie_Wool
Facets of Predictability

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:08 pm 

cinedracusio's Savage Circus review is terrible. Light on musical description, heavy on smarmy look-how-clever-I-am wordplay, bizarre similes, and inane "humor". And just because the review's not bad enough already, he throws in a racial slur.

Quote:
Has Jacko turned power metal? I'd rather say that power metal has turned Jacko! Not only Jacko, you just have to wait to hear worse.

First time I saw the Savage Circus name, I saw laudative reviews. And again. And again. And again. I hadn't listened to power metal for some time, since I was fed up with Sonata Arctica, Rhapsody and other titans of metal. Thus, my curiosity determined me to give this album and this band a try.

And it felt like my ears had to swallow a Winnie bear with a giant fake dick. I had given up on power metal because it became too artificial and perfectly conceived for my taste. And this time it was even more horrendous. That crystal clear recording, THAT plagiarised-from-World-Of-Warcraft-and-Brazzers.com chick gazing at my hairy chest from the album cover, those themes derived from Peter Pan, granted to have a lethal dose of success when speaking of Swedish-looking rock disco predators or young girls who got subjected to rape tactics at least three times.

I deeply apologise if I wasted some space with this paragraph, but it is just the beginning. The content, which is the music itself, is nothing else than power metal. The guitar tone is very well-balanced and the rhythm guitarist's performance is flawless, while the riffs could play a key role in contemporary Pokemon/Eurovision-inspired productions. Speaking of riffs, Savage Circus (and their brethrens they emulate) are unparalleled masters. I mean, when they play, they play Cindy Lauper stuff, and when they play menacingly, they play crap. It is nothing remarkable, just dramatic and nonsensical fantasy build-ups. Waaaank thiiiis waaaayyyyy...

Which is the blandest species of drummer on planet Earth? Why, of course, it's the power metal Robocock! All the pedals that a human could fill in and the neverending story of the militaristic stop-start and start-run till you die time signatures are included within his memory stick, along with the slammin' heavy metal bonus! Not a trace of innovation! And Robocock doesn't even do Robocoke, it would've sounded better!

The keyboard sound was and is awful. Awful, when talking 'bout those freakin' keys, means that you boast the standard pop stuff, and some "mean" synth effects bring the ultimate stink in a music that was anyway irritating.
And the castratus (or should we say castratis, cause there is more than one voice) in this truck of poop is the tough guy who wants to fly towards Valhalla or fuck knows what unearthly environment and save the blonde chick from a nigger's boner. Lyrics like the ones in Tommorowland are extremely relevant for this aspect.

Aside from the faultless musicianship, you won't find trace of anything artistic or authentic in this. It's programmed, politically and economically correct, it's made to sell and grab the attention of people who have no idea about what art or music should be. There is a fine line between professional musicians who follow a trend, and musicians who may be not as professional or skilled, but want to show something truly original.

After all that literary masturbation I still have no idea what a Blind Guardian knockoff band has to do with Michael Jackson except that they're both things cinedracusio doesn't like.

UltraBoris wrote:
only Dio is real.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:00 pm 

There's no good way to insert an n-bomb into speech, but the one in that review was so clumsily put in there that I just started laughing when I read it.

Woolie_Wool
Facets of Predictability

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:49 pm 

Subrick wrote:
There's no good way to insert an n-bomb into speech, but the one in that review was so clumsily put in there that I just started laughing when I read it.

I tend to be a bit more dour and humorless about hate speech words, but I do have to marvel at how awkward it is as well. Careful with that edge, cinedracusio, you just might cut yourself on it.

UltraBoris wrote:
only Dio is real.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:52 pm 

:nono:

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:39 pm 

The amazing thing about that review to me is that, after all the bashing, absurd nonsense, and just plain stupidity he spewed forth, he still gave the album a positive score. Cognitive dissonance on display in its greatest form.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:02 pm 

cinedracusio wrote:
I deeply apologise if I wasted some space with this paragraph, but it is just the beginning.

No kidding.

omnishadow
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:17 am 

Track by track: http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/I ... ister/5330

kluseba
Making Metal Archives Reviews Great Again!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:23 pm 

Is this review acceptable?

http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/D ... orc/142056

First off, the reviewer claims the record is 115 minutes long but it has in fact a length of 75 minutes.

Second, he doesn't seem to understand that ''The Shattered Fortress'' is part of Mike Portnoy's Twelve-Step-Suite and therefor cites elements from the previous four tracks. This is his only negative point and his misunderstanding inspires him to cut off 40% of the final rating.

Last but not least, he gives us this odd comparison: '' A woman that truly loves her husband, she will love him for ever, even if he sometimes comes drunk home late at night and beats her up and then fucks her up till she fades. Dream Theater fans feel the same when encountering This Dying Soul, Root of All Evil, Repentance and The Shattered Fortress.''

So, rehashing elements of songs that are logically connected is like beating up a woman when you're drunk? What is wrong with this guy?

TadakatsuH0nda
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:22 pm 

I understand these are very old reviews but at this point some/most of KD's reviews seem pretty bad: http://www.metal-archives.com/users/kd
------------------------------------------------------------------
Japanese Metal Forum

hey
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:12 pm 

Not quite sure if this would be borderline-acceptable, but it's very brief without going into any specifics beyond "huge performing technique, fast shot brutality, purulent vocals".

http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/A ... ete/165896

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:15 pm 

poof

thrashmaniac87
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:45 pm 

"Track this beautiful relic down."

http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/T ... andy/25751

If you've ever what it would sound like if someone mixed Metallica's "Kill 'Em All," Mercyful Fate's "Don't Break the Oath" and Slayer's "Show No Mercy" then this is for you. This just oozes with old-school awesomeness. It's almost too much to handle. The production is pretty rough, but it's good enough. At least you can tell they had a bassist, unlike most metal bands that push their's so far into the background you'd swear they were in the other room or went on vacation during the recording sessions. I can't say enough good things about this demo,so I won't even bother trying. Track this beautiful relic down. It's worth it. It's such a shame that more people don't know about this buried treasure.

untappd: patrick_g

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:35 pm 

poof

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:37 pm 

thrashmaniac87 wrote:
"Track this beautiful relic down."

http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/T ... andy/25751

If you've ever what it would sound like if someone mixed Metallica's "Kill 'Em All," Mercyful Fate's "Don't Break the Oath" and Slayer's "Show No Mercy" then this is for you. This just oozes with old-school awesomeness. It's almost too much to handle. The production is pretty rough, but it's good enough. At least you can tell they had a bassist, unlike most metal bands that push their's so far into the background you'd swear they were in the other room or went on vacation during the recording sessions. I can't say enough good things about this demo,so I won't even bother trying. Track this beautiful relic down. It's worth it. It's such a shame that more people don't know about this buried treasure.

That's the spirit!

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:53 pm 

A mix of Mercyful Fate and early Slayer? If there were a rest of that review, I would have read it.
It’s so powerful that your stomachs will damn.
Bulgogi Kimchi Bibimbap waffle burger! Holy shit! litterally shit!

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:29 pm 

Quote:
VVVVV - 90%
FullMetalAttorney, April 10th, 2014
Leigh Ledare is a New York-based photographer who has recently taken on an . . . unusual subject matter. Noting the public’s desensitization to everything shocking, he decided to take a bunch of pictures of men having sex. With Ledare’s own mom.

If he had then brutally murdered his mother, then he would have been able to top the title to Vastum’s proper full-length debut, Patricidal Lust. I wasn’t especially impressed by the band’s demo—well, for a demo, it served its purpose, but it was, after all, a demo. I am extremely impressed with the album. The band have fully lived up to the promise that anyone saw in them.

This is some doomy, old-school death metal. It’s raw and heavy, with sickening solos, lurching, crawling riffs, and some exceptionally brutal vocals from none other than Leila Abdul-Rauf. Name-check whoever you want, but Vastum have taken up the vanguard of old-school death metal alongside Vasaeleth and Vorum. Hey, maybe they can pick up Vallenfyre to headline and Vulgaari to open.

Also, it’s good. Really damn good. Did I mention that?

originally written for http://fullmetalattorney.blogspot.com/

Only 2 short sentences of this review contains musical description and 2 other reviews for the album.
http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/V ... ney/240636

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:13 am 

I killed it. FMA used to be our resident punching bag before kluseba, and that was a strong reminder as of why.

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:33 am 

http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/Chinchilla/Madtropolis/18090/troublemagnet/1898

Really badly formatted one paragraph rant from about 12 years ago. Loaded with spacing and punctuation errors, serial abuse of all caps, capitalizing the sub-genre, some gross spelling errors, and any reviewer who ends a review with "Nuff said" is just begging for a brain transplant. Musical description is minimal, consisting primarily of wildly misleading hyperbolic comparisons to 70s arena rock bands and bitching about there being keyboard solos.
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio (July 14, 1942 - May 16, 2010)

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:37 am 

poof

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:44 am 

http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/N ... Face/38250

this one is just really bad, and almost devoid of any real opinion - it's a full on 0% that basically says "I believe they ripped off the old school sound" - like, what? that's called influenced, yeah? so maybe not nuke, but it just seems like an unneeded blemish. He talks about the music for literally four lines...and not even in a row.

║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:20 pm 

Quote:
These video game playing, shopping mall beauty pageant rejects are what's to be offered in much of the U.S. and from such a stalwart of fashionability as century media records

Motion to make asinine attacks on who you think might listen to an album, grounds for auto-rejection/deletion?
It’s so powerful that your stomachs will damn.
Bulgogi Kimchi Bibimbap waffle burger! Holy shit! litterally shit!

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:59 pm 

http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/V ... riced/5966

This review should be reviewed, I think. I'm not against its score, or the author's dislike. I just think it's lazy and a borderline blight. I'm guessing the content will probably just clear the minimum requirements. Fitting, since it required a minimum of effort to produce. Ugh I hate that trollish title.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 203, 204, 205, 206, 207, 208, 209 ... 239  Next