Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 3:00 pm 

I removed that one, there was a lot of pretense and digression and very little description/analysis of the music. What was there was sparse and vague.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 8:48 am 

http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/Kult_ov_Azazel/Oculus_Infernum/20050/
The first 2 reviews for this album are actually offensive to me and I'm pretty impossible to offend. They actually sound like they were written by the same guy with 2 different accounts. The first review 30% is a small paragraph that says basically nothing about the music except that the drummer uses double bass ALL the time, is that a bad thing? Also he's not a very good fortune teller since it's been 9 years and Kult Ov Azazel has never been on Ozzfest as he predicted.

The second review is a little longer, but still completely inaccurate. He says it's not black metal? wrong. He says riffs are boring and repetitive, but that album has extremely catchy riffs and is not really repetitive at all honestly. It really doesn't say much about the musical content at all and is just a bash fest by a guy who was obviously smoking something different than everyone else.

HeySharpshooter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 6:01 pm 

http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/C ... addyZeus67

"To end this review, I'll say that this whole album sucks the fat one, and only the most die-hard Corpsegrinder fanboys should go even 4 feet closer to this album.

The best track of the CD would have to be Relentless Beating. Yup, that's right. There is no vocals, no solos, there's couple actually nice riffs in the middle and the whole thing only lasts for about 2 minutes. Therefore it is definitely the best song on Vile... though that really doesn't say much (hence the score). Then there's also Devoured By Vermin, Mummified In Barbed Wire and Puncture Wound Massacre that used to be my favorites in this album back in the day I still actually liked this CD. These 3 tracks are completely worthless to me but in Cannibal Corpse's standards they'd probably be good, incase that would make any CC fans happy.

For any true death metal fan this album is nothing but a 37 minutes long I.Q decreasing sleeping pill. A kind of suicide."

I think that says it all.

TheLiberation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 6:06 pm 

Sick6Six wrote:
http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/Kult_ov_Azazel/Oculus_Infernum/20050/
The first 2 reviews for this album are actually offensive to me and I'm pretty impossible to offend. They actually sound like they were written by the same guy with 2 different accounts. The first review 30% is a small paragraph that says basically nothing about the music except that the drummer uses double bass ALL the time, is that a bad thing? Also he's not a very good fortune teller since it's been 9 years and Kult Ov Azazel has never been on Ozzfest as he predicted.

The second review is a little longer, but still completely inaccurate. He says it's not black metal? wrong. He says riffs are boring and repetitive, but that album has extremely catchy riffs and is not really repetitive at all honestly. It really doesn't say much about the musical content at all and is just a bash fest by a guy who was obviously smoking something different than everyone else.

1) How the fuck did the first review ever get accepted by anyone?
2) How the fuck does any review built almost entirely upon "this is bad because it's not black metal" get accepted by anyone?

I've never even heard this band, but this is just painful.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 6:10 pm 

That first one is pretty damn skimpy but has a decent amount of musical description for its brevity. I don't really see anything wrong with the second review.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

TheLiberation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 6:14 pm 

Both bash the album based on not being "real black metal" rather than being actually bad, which is a guaranteed recipe for a horrible pseudo-review. The first review does have SOME description despite its length, but it even has spelling and capitalisation issues for fuck's sake.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 6:17 pm 

It still has plenty of musical description and the band is clearly marketing themselves as a black metal band. If the reviewer feels that they've failed to succeed at making black metal when that's what they set out to do, I think it's appropriate for him to mention that. It's up to the mods, of course.

TheLiberation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 6:28 pm 

I'm okay with someone mentioning that or listing it as one of the weaknesses, but basing the whole damn review around it is just both incredibly amateurish and elitist on an amazing amount of levels. Even the review rules say like 20 times to talk about the music and not go raging about ideological stuff, especially if you have little to say besides that (and this definitely is the case, the musical description barely exists in the first case and is bare-bones at best in the second).

~Guest 302292
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 6:33 pm 

To both 'iamntbatman' and 'TheLiberation', are you both responding to the Cradle of Filth review that I posted?
Because I don't see my post anywhere.

And to quote the rules, it does state to tell people about the music.

"Did we mention this yet? Well, it also means, lashing out on a band's image, attitude or reputation is not exactly a good idea either. That doesn't mean we'll refuse a review if you attack a band's image or integrity - in fact, sometimes such things do need to be pointed out and criticized. But a review based mostly on that is of little interest.
This also includes attacks or generalizations on the listeners, not just the fans (see examples below).
Ubiquitous examples include, but are not limited to, the following:

Cradle of Filth/Dimmu Borgir/etc. are "goth fags";
Yngwie Malmsteem has a pretentious and arrogant personality;
Jon Schaffer's attitude is annoying;
*Insert female singer here* is so hot;
Christians/Satanists/Jews/etc. are so dumb;
Black metal "elitists" are so narrow-minded;
Similarly, "tr00 metal elitists won't like this because it's so avant-garde!""

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 6:37 pm 

No, we're discussing the Kult ov Azazel review that Sick6Six linked and TheLiberation quoted.

~Guest 302292
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 6:46 pm 

Oh okay, my bad.
And since I don't see it here, check this out in the meantime: http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/C ... aldhelvete

But upon reading the Kult ov Azazel review (the Kryzaltid one), it does seem to be based around the fact that it's "not trve blak metl". What he could've done to make the review better was to point out the moments where each instrument was 'repetitive', lack feeling and any other criticisms he had about the album.
The Spawnhorde review of the Kult ov Azazel album is a bit better, but it suffers from the same problem, not being "trve blak metl". Skimming over it, he's only comparing the band to other bands, and that isn't very descriptive at all about the music contained within that certain album.
So I deem both reviews absolutely pointless. Don't really know any other way to put it than as bluntly as I just did.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 10:42 am 

Well if Kult Ov Azazel isn't black metal then I have absolutely no idea what kind of music I've been listening to for about half of my life. Actually I think all the reviews on that album and "The World, the Flesh & the Devil" are pretty terrible. Even the 90% reviews just say hey this sounds like Marduk, which I disagree with completely. I say just wipe the slate clean on both of those albums :finger:

TheLiberation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 4:31 pm 

Well personally I think there's a too high tolerance for the stupid "ideology > music" type of reviews which are focused entirely on the author being buttmad against the album being not trve or whatever, and have little to none musical description and basically any reviewing value. Like I said I don't even know the band besides having heard the name a few times before, but these reviews are just blatant cases of the above and are just painfully bad. They would pass as forum posts but not damn reviews.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 9:38 pm 

On a similar note, hypothetical situation: if someone writes a review for an NSBM album with musical description that would sound like he was giving the album an 88% or something but then says they don't like the NS lyrics/image and that the band should feel bad for using them and subsequently gives the whole album a 0%, would that album be rejected?

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 12:07 am 

Wilytank wrote:
On a similar note, hypothetical situation: if someone writes a review for an NSBM album with musical description that would sound like he was giving the album an 88% or something but then says they don't like the NS lyrics/image and that the band should feel bad for using them and subsequently gives the whole album a 0%, would that album be rejected?

If it's egregiously mismatched, I guess it could be rejected. I don't even look at the title/score most of the time while scrolling through the queue, I just read the review. I haven't encountered anything like that, anyone who doesn't take reviewing seriously enough to fuck around like that generally has major flaws in their writing. Still, it's hypothetical, I'd probably skip to the next review and let it sit there.* :P I have no interesting in reading/examining content about NS bands so I usually skip to the next band/review/report when I come across them, I do this as a hobby/interest and I'll avoid giving that type of content my time and effort.

*Whoever gets to stuff that I skip over could answer that hypothetical question better! :lol:

That Guy 666
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 1:57 pm 

http://www.metal-archives.com/review/write/id/146645 I just finished writing a rough draft of a Protector - the shedding of skin. It's unrevised, but I think it's pretty cohesive as is. Would someone care to comment?

Metal_Detector
Reticular Modular Unit

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 2:04 pm 

That Guy 666 wrote:
http://www.metal-archives.com/review/write/id/146645 I just finished writing a rough draft of a Protector - the shedding of skin. It's unrevised, but I think it's pretty cohesive as is. Would someone care to comment?

We can't see your review drafts. Well, at least non-moderators can't.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 2:11 pm 

I can't either, simply post the text here please.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

That Guy 666
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 2:14 pm 

In the draft it's titled "heaviness to the major degree" but I think just "Protector - A shedding of skin" would be better.

Spoiler: show
In "A Shedding of Skin" Protector plays a combination of fast, thrash metal style riffs, with slow, death metal style chugging. Protector's style is purely fun, energetic and exciting. Let there be no misunderstanding. If you want something existential and contemplative, look elsewhere. But if you want fierce metal, carry forth.

This album starts off with an acoustic intro with a synthesizer and field recording with sounds of bugs and birds which sets a calm atmosphere. Then the album kicks right off with the song mortuary nightmare. The guitars are piercingly fast and the bass gives a steady death metal undertone in time to the guitars. It's absolutely relentless. The vocals are harsh and raspy.

Without stopping for breath, the song "A Shedding of Skin is the same principle of heavy riffs, except instead of being just fast, it slows down a tad periodically to be played at a steady, heavier pace. At around the 2 minute mark the band really slows down, the bass begins to lumber and the guitar plays an awesome slow riff. This is my favorite part of protector's style, their ability to shift pace so quickly and still maintain their style.

The song "face fear" starts off with more relentless riffing and soon there's a change of pace to slow at the minute mark followed by an explosion which gives way to a guitar solo, the guitar's tone is screaming. The song ends with fast riffs.

"Retribution in Darkness" is a furious barrage of riffs. Before you know it Doomed to failure is playing, and you may not realize it until the 1 minute mark when the band slows down briefly. Whenever the band slows down or speeds up, they do it in a way where it's unique, and there's times on this album that are very memorable. The kind of thing where a riff will start playing in your head and when you figure out what song it's from you want to listen to it. The same pattern of playing occurs repeatedly throughout the whole album. I love it. My personal favorite song is

"Whom God Destroys". It starts off typically, but before you know it the song becomes absolutely menacing and doesn't let up, at all. I like to imagine some sort of beast demolishing stuff when I listen to it, it's so cool. It's the same principle of the other songs, but I feel like this one is my favorite. It's very difficult to understand what the vocalist is saying throughout the entire album. Personally I don't really listen to the lyrics, but in this song you can hear the singer growling "the gods destroy!" When he says that, I just think to myself, fuck yeah.

For the first time in 9 tracks, there's a slow ambient track, "necropolis" which segways you directly into the path of the beastly, slow heaviness. It's more like whom the gods destroy, but the difference between this song and that one is you can't understand much of what the singers say. There's plenty of duel singing throughout this album. The tone of their singing is not musical, it's generally a yell or growl. The songs just rock. They rule. That is why this is one of my favorite death thrash metal albums. I will easily choose this album when I just feel like rocking out.

Protector never fails to keep each song fresh and yet each song is a bit derivative of the last. Nevertheless I feel that this album is not only exemplary of ballsy heaviness, but also a unique creation of protector. It deserves to be listened to.

the album gets 95 percent.

Anyone have any feedback for my review?

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 3:34 pm 

Do your absolute best to avoid track-by-track reviews like that. They're really dull to read and end up seeming more like just stream of consciousness rambling than any real description/analysis/insight. You basically just go through the album listing songs and saying "This one sounds like this, and this one has a cool solo, and the next one isn't as good but has a really cool riff in the bridge, and this and that and that this..." Try to give a more "big picture" perspective on the album at hand.

Also, not rejectable or anything, but as a personal pet peeve, titles that are just Band Name - Album Name are so goddamn boring. Be creative with the title as well!
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

That Guy 666
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 4:03 pm 

Thanks for the feedback bastardhead. I don't quite know how I'm going to reword it without using track by track reviews. Maybe I'll consolidated the descriptions of the songs into a cohesive summary of the whole album. Probably won't happen until I'm bored again though :-P

xThe__Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 12:51 pm 

http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/B ... ne_Tyranny

Can this review be removed? This review is awful. All he says is "this sounds like Venom!"

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 1:43 pm 

That Guy 666 wrote:
I don't quite know how I'm going to reword it without using track by track reviews.

I know Empyreal will hate this, but you could give it a decent rework by putting it in a more essay-like format.

edit: er .. since Tony asked, here is is, though since this is a draft, this would probably be better discussed in the workshop, no?

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 5:46 pm 

I think this review should be nuked:

http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/C ... ma/369577/

-The reviewer claims to like the band but changes his mind when he realizes one of the members is also a part of a band he hates. Childish if you ask me.

-The reviewer has no idea of what he's listening, since he rants about sonic walls of keys in metal, when the album is NOT metal at all. That aside, he called 'techno' to a music that clearly is not, especially talking about a track where he literally heard techno and the only thing featured on it are strings, a very sparse use of keys and operatic vocals; not beats or anything resembling the 'universal' concept of techno.

Regarding the same song, he praises it in a paragraph only to bash it on the next cause it features Dave Vincent, and according to his explanation, that becomes the track terrible and 'techno' by default.

The rest is a VERY vague description of how much he hates it for no real reason and he used a huge chunk of words only to be clear he's open minded enough. I swear this guy hates Scepticflesh, Illud and gave a listen to 2 tracks and that was enough to give a 0% to an album where he even recognized some enjoyable elements.

Maybe it's not as imbecile as the rejected submissions posted by the mods, but this review is totally useless to anyone.

TheLiberation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 6:02 pm 

This is an absolutely classic case of "I have no clue what I'm talking about, but I'm going to write a review made in 95% of pretentiousness and give a 0% rating even though I said there are good elements".

Please, I'm seriously "campaigning" about taking more care of reviews like this for a reason.

GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 6:51 pm 

If this were the Gunther Metal Archives of Alcoholism and Attractive Women, I'd probably reject the review for being so ungodly stupid that my sternum split itself in two and then merged into my pelvis. However, this is not the Gunther MA, so I'm not going to touch it because it's written well enough to be accepted and follows the rules the site demands for reviews.

It's one of those Dunce Idol reviews, ones that are so stupid that no one in the right mind would ever read them and find anything said to be worthwhile or intelligent at all, in any universe or timeframe, ever. Kind of like Kruel's DSO review, Noktorn's pretentious rants, etc. They are merely reflections of the author's own ignorance, self-absorbed nature, unreliable musical knowledge, bloated perception of self-importance, false sense of intelligence, and so on. Although the author believes himself/herself to be brilliant and riveting, he/she is merely proving to everyone just how dumb he/she actually is, and he/she is the last person to figure it out.

Obligatory Last FM Link

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 7:00 pm 

Kruel rode the highest high horse for one last ride on the winds of eternity, to spit fire at false black metal. However, his prose lacks this perfection, and so he stumbled on a stoned pony with a dunce cap while coughing up kerosene and trying to flick a cigarette lighter.

Ah, who am I kidding, my joke is lamer than Noktorn. :(

TheLiberation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 8:03 pm 

Guys, generally I'd agree, if not for the fact that the reviewing rules have the "tell us about the *music*" highlighted like five times. This type of reviews (of which I consider Kruel to be the absolute emperor) is a brutal, slow murder of this rule with a spoon.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 10:07 pm 

TheLiberation wrote:
Guys, generally I'd agree, if not for the fact that the reviewing rules have the "tell us about the *music*" highlighted like five times. This type of reviews (of which I consider Kruel to be the absolute emperor) is a brutal, slow murder of this rule with a spoon.

Agreed. Maybe the mods have too much work to check if a 'more or less coherently' written review does make sense in the context or the real content of the music. No matter how well written is a review if the content is factually wrong, right? a factual mistake here is how in hell the guy hear techno where there's not, or how the reviewer rants over the wall of sound of keys in metal when: there's no 'wall of sound' (as applies in metal) and there's no metal either to be heard on the album.

It's like the Noctir reviews that trash tons of 2nd wave norwegian black metal albums for not sounding the same than Burzum, Mayhem and Darkthrone - for not being 'true norwegian black metal'.

xexyzl
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 10:57 pm 

My thoughts on the content of the review are in the discussion thread, so I won't repeat them here.

What I will say is while I loathe the writing style this guy employs, it is not per se "bad writing" in the sense that it follows proper grammatical structures and uses punctuation 'n capitalization 'n shit. And while his opinions have less than half a leg to stand on, they are still articulated clearly and about the music itself.

I don't really see any clause in the reviewing rules regarding factual inaccuracies (and truthfully they're not objective inaccuracies so much as arguments steeped in ignorance), although I suppose a case could be made that he's using ad hominem attacks i.e. 'This person is in Septicflesh therefore his album is bad', but even then I don't think we should open the door to eliminating any reviews that attack artist's character.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 11:19 pm 

1) Lib, Kveld, please stop whining. It's been like two or three solid days of you guys finding ways to complain about ratings in some form or another, it's getting tiring.

2) I accepted the review (and his Arsis one) despite feeling like he's a massive tool. The guy is an asshole. He's abrasive and confrontational and he seems to miss the point sometimes, but he writes just fine. It's not our job to judge somebody's intelligence, the guy may be stupid for feeling like introducing any one certain element into music makes it inherently worthless, but it's his opinion and he puts it to the metaphorical paper just fine. And also, you're twisting his words a bit:

Kveldulfr wrote:
he rants about sonic walls of keys in metal, when the album is NOT metal at all

Derfydickpicker wrote:
I dislike so-called musicians who use an orchestra to harness a massive wall of sound. It’s unprofessional and usually the tactic for a high school band, background music to a generic movie battle scene or more commonly known for your modern symphonic metal band.

He never referred to Chaostar as a metal band. No factual inaccuracy in simply stating that he typically doesn't like orchestral music used cheaply.

Kveldulfr wrote:
The reviewer claims to like the band but changes his mind when he realizes one of the members is also a part of a band he hates.

Desexualizedpeepee wrote:
If I would’ve known earlier, I would’ve been more on guard and alert before making a hasty request to review this release. That’s right I don’t like Septicflesh.

He says he wouldn't have so quickly jumped to review the release had he known that it was tied to Septicflesh, an he later says that he used to like this band but grew away from it, which is not at all what you're describing.

Kveldulfr wrote:
Regarding the same song, he praises it in a paragraph only to bash it on the next cause it features Dave Vincent, and according to his explanation, that becomes the track terrible and 'techno' by default.

Desensabababawhatever wrote:
The time has come to find out why this is such a terrible album. Here’s a hint: David Vincent. Go on, take a guess, have you reached a prediction? Not only is he a guest musician but ironically the very track he’s described to be featured in (“Medea”) also experiments with techno music.

He never says it became techno simply because Vincent was featured on it. The real tragedy of this passage is that he used "ironically" incorrectly.

Look, the guy is kind of an ignorant asshole and I get the feeling that he's really pleased with himself by causing people to get upset, but the review is fine. He never states that the album is bad because it features musicians he dislikes, he simply says that they're a part of the album, nothing more. He spends almost the entire time describing the music. It's not going anywhere.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

TheLiberation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 6:47 am 

Well, I'm not complaining about random stuff, just this one thing of people abusing uber-low ratings for reviews based entirely on ideology and not actual music - I just find it extremely annoying to see a review like this which bashes an album for start to finish not because it's bad music, but because it is not what the author had expected and is not his definition of true metal. And it's not me being personally upset over some album I like because I've never heard most of these albums.

But oh well, I guess I've repeated that a lot of times already :P nothing personal, I just think this is a genuine violation of the reviewing rules, and most importantly these reviews are the definition of useless.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 8:33 am 

TheLiberation wrote:
Well, I'm not complaining about random stuff, just this one thing of people abusing uber-low ratings for reviews based entirely on ideology and not actual music - I just find it extremely annoying to see a review like this which bashes an album for start to finish not because it's bad music, but because it is not what the author had expected and is not his definition of true metal. And it's not me being personally upset over some album I like because I've never heard most of these albums.

But oh well, I guess I've repeated that a lot of times already :P nothing personal, I just think this is a genuine violation of the reviewing rules, and most importantly these reviews are the definition of useless.

Yeah, you probably weren't around at the time when Kruel wrote his DSO review. From what I've gathered, the only requirement for the ratings is that it's not opposed to the content of the review itself; the reviewer's reasons for disliking something can be almost anything about the music or its aesthetics as long as the writing is adequate and there's enough musical description.

Don't get too upset about ratings. There are these guys who like to troll people with exaggeratedly low ratings, but in the end they're nothing but numbers. It's completely acceptable and called for to criticise stupid ratings, but they're almost never a reason for deletion, so don't focus on them too much. When ConorFynes reviewed a couple of Rush albums, there was a huge backlash due to his giving scores like 30% to albums he described pretty much as "alright, but nothing special". The reviews are still there. Personally I think they should go, but negative reviews for albums with nothing but positives are often gauged more leniently than the 66th negative review for The Unspoken King, for example.

TheLiberation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 8:55 am 

I'm not sure if I was around (in fact I've been using the site since 2007 or so, but was active only in various periods), but I've read that and his Meshuggah "Nothing" review and they're the absolute #1 in my book in terms of absolute pretentiousness backed up with near-zero content.

I don't care about ratings that much as I see that people have very varied approach to ratings, but it's the reviews themselves. The problem with 0% rating is that it's by far the most abused in cases when it definitely shouldn't be, and often for almost entirely non-musical reasons.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 8:58 am 

I think Kruel wrote the bulk of his reviews in 2008, so you probably were around, then. A lot of people were upset, as DSO was held in a very high regard here. I hadn't listened to Si Monumentum back then, and when I did, my initial reaction was that Kruel was full of shit, as the album starts off really well. A few songs later I could see where he was coming from :lol: , but still, what a painfully pretentious review.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 12:28 pm 

TheLiberation wrote:
The problem with 0% rating is that it's by far the most abused in cases when it definitely shouldn't be

Like 40% of all the reviews on the site are 90%+, and I can guarantee you there are at least twenty times more 100% scores than 0%, and I'm not exaggerating. I'm much more inclined to believe that there is much more utterly worthless music out there than flawlessly perfect. It's all a matter of opinion and everybody knows that, but the crusading against 0% reviews is almost always for petty reasons, and throughout the eight years I've been here and the five I've been reviewing, I've yet to hear one legitimately good reason why most of the ultra-negative reviews should be nuked.

And for the record, I don't like the infamous DSO review either, but it's been contested at least half a dozen times and every time it's been decided to stay. I'm not about to overturn the senior mods' consistently upheld decision.

TheLiberation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 12:51 pm 

The thing is I'm not talking about ultra-negative reviews, I'm talking about terrible ultra-negative reviews. :P

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 1:05 pm 

And that's fair enough. I suppose I'm just jaded because, as a guy who's been following the reviews here for half a decade, "This Kruel review should be deleted!" is the review side equivalent to "Why aren't Suicide Silence/BTBAM allowed on the site?!".

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 1:45 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
If you see a review that's so pathetic, that it screams to be thrown into a hot furnace, please post it here. :D And by that, I mean a review that truly begs the question, "Who was so high/drunk/asleep that they accepted this?". Not just a review you disagree with, or that's merely average.

Thanks.

Easy to forget, since it's the first post, but it remains relevant, I feel.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 1:51 pm 

For the squillionth time, the review stays. You're not going to win a war of attrition here.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 188, 189, 190, 191, 192, 193, 194 ... 239  Next