Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic  
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:14 am 

But yeah, this isn't going anywhere. I don't really support rejecting reviews just because the writer doesn't "get it" so long as he makes his points with something approaching coherency and at least attempts to back up his points. We can only police things so much, and part of the beauty of the review feature on the site here is that we have relatively lenient guidelines regarding actual content, which grants some room for objectivity.

I reject a lot of reviews, but I think of it as a way to help some of you guys improve more than anything, but I only do it if there is a valid reason, and there really isn't one in this case.

http://www.myspace.com/thevala
http://www.last.fm/user/Diamhea

BastardHead
Magic Mike

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:16 am 

Quit crying. It's a lame review and the writer is dumb but it passes the requirements so that's really the end of it. We don't censor extraordinarily shitty opinions, as much as, believe me, every single one of us would like to do.

LeMiserable
Milhouse van Houten

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:25 am 

A'ight fair enough.

It was probably too painful for me to look at, but the way you put it makes sense, oh well.

LeMiserable
Milhouse van Houten

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:32 pm 

http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/Morbid_Angel/Gateways_to_Annihilation/324/noinnocentvictim/21329

Bit short on musical description if you'd ask me, spends like 4-5 sentences on the music in a multiple paragraph review, the rest is useless blattering on how repetitive/boring/wrong the album is.

Ps. Sorry for double post.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:05 pm 

I don't think that warrants nuking. Solid grammar and formatting too. There are way worse....

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:58 pm 

http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/J ... bee1/23657

i dunno if it should be nuked or not, but he basically says that Judas Iscariot sucks for non-musical reasons, and then basically describes a black metal demo. It just seems like the guy doesn't know what black metal demos are...

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:21 pm 

Shit review, returned to sender.

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:39 am 

http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/E ... eltd/87356

the most descriptive part of this review is "it sounds like windir if windir was terrible". there's little to no description of the music, just a high school diatribe on how shit, annoying, lame, etc it is. his other reviews aren't much better, either.

doomster999
Keeper of the Dreary Realm

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:16 pm 

http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/C ... reif/28158

First of all, there's a basic spelling mistake in the title itself.

Most of his review is based on how he misses their old style and the music found on Monotheist is 'slow'. He even described it as 'non-metal' (hah!):

Quote:
The music is slow. Its so doom filled that it almost isn’t metal. Well, it is metal – but it is very slow and ambient.

That's quite two-faced and clearly from his taste it's apparent that he's into faster sounding stuff (thrash, groove, melo-death, metalcore etc.). Presumably he considers Black Sabbath hard rock.

There are a lot of quality reviews available for Monotheist, especially autothrall's impeccable review and I don't think anyone will miss this dude's clumsy review.
Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:27 pm 

^ another problem with that review is that the subject is less the album, and more the reviewer himself. what he wanted, what he prefers, etc. and this seems to be common in a lot of bad reviews - the reviewer spends far too long talking about him/herself. it can't always be helped, and some reviewers (if clever enough) can really make that kinda thing work, especially if it's funny... but when you're just doing it because you can't actually write to save your life... yeah.

NoKnownName
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:32 pm 

http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/A ... ucus/19369
From the ancient past of 2004. No spacing, poor grammar, track by track, etc. Basically, the kind of thing that you find in Crappy Diem.
Doom is the blues of metal, you either feel it or you don't.

Last edited by Metantoine on Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Boom.

Goatfangs
Wicker Mantis

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:47 pm 

Woolie_Wool wrote:
BastardHead wrote:
That review was so bad that I actually navigated the main site on my phone to nuke it. Do you have any idea how Herculean of a task that is? It was THAT bad.

I actually kind of want to read it now, just to see how bad it is.

Here you go courtesy of Google cache. Beware, it even made Google retarded for a moment.

Spoiler: show
Artist- Re-Animator
Name- Condemned To Eternity
Year- 1990
Label- Under One Flag
Producer- Unknown

Songwriting- 7/10- standard thrash fare, but very well put together, even (gasp) catchy sometimes.

Vocals- 8/10- impressive. sounding similar to Chuck Billy a lot of the time (which is a good thing), the vocal deliverey is always good.

Guitar(s)- 9.5/10- awesome. simply awesome. great riffs, and lots of them. solos, harmonies, all kinds of great shit is shown here. the structures of the songs are great as well, with mountains of riffs and some time and tempo changes. im really diggin the tone as well.

Bass- 6/10- this album suffers from the same problem most 80's early 90's thrash albums did: you simply cannot hear the bass. every once in a while you'll catch glimpses, but for the most part i couldnt even tell you if it was good or not.

Drums- 8/10- thrash drummers are known for being very talented, and this guy is no exception. what he has that ive noticed other thrash drummers lacking though is taste. i wouldnt say hes amazing by any means, but really good.

Additional Instruments- N/A

Production- 8.5/10- other than the bass problem, great. especially the guitar tone, as i mentioned earlier.

Overall- 9/10 (90/100)- thrashy as hell, well put together, and consitantly entertaining, these guys know how to rock. i highly recommend it for a fan of thrash looking for more great bands to check out.

7|10|42-RIP-5|16|10

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:40 pm 

Goatfangs wrote:
Here you go courtesy of Google cache. Beware, it even made Google retarded for a moment.

Spoiler: show
Artist- Re-Animator
Name- Condemned To Eternity
Year- 1990
Label- Under One Flag
Producer- Unknown

Songwriting- 7/10- standard thrash fare, but very well put together, even (gasp) catchy sometimes.

Vocals- 8/10- impressive. sounding similar to Chuck Billy a lot of the time (which is a good thing), the vocal deliverey is always good.

Guitar(s)- 9.5/10- awesome. simply awesome. great riffs, and lots of them. solos, harmonies, all kinds of great shit is shown here. the structures of the songs are great as well, with mountains of riffs and some time and tempo changes. im really diggin the tone as well.

Bass- 6/10- this album suffers from the same problem most 80's early 90's thrash albums did: you simply cannot hear the bass. every once in a while you'll catch glimpses, but for the most part i couldnt even tell you if it was good or not.

Drums- 8/10- thrash drummers are known for being very talented, and this guy is no exception. what he has that ive noticed other thrash drummers lacking though is taste. i wouldnt say hes amazing by any means, but really good.

Additional Instruments- N/A

Production- 8.5/10- other than the bass problem, great. especially the guitar tone, as i mentioned earlier.

Overall- 9/10 (90/100)- thrashy as hell, well put together, and consitantly entertaining, these guys know how to rock. i highly recommend it for a fan of thrash looking for more great bands to check out.

Wait, THAT existed on the archives? :lol: The thought of BH seeing that and feverishly logging in with frustration to see it passed out of existence is great haha.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 198, 199, 200, 201, 202