Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
requiem99
The Buddhist Killbot

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:39 pm 

droneriot wrote:
requiem99 wrote:
Probably shouldn't question someone else's negative reviews until you write one or two of your own.

You know very well that he can't question god's flawless creation.

Not sure what you mean by that but I wasn't getting onto him for questioning me, simply ribbing him for writing more positive reviews than someone who was paid to ONLY write positive reviews. :)

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:43 pm 

requiem99 wrote:
I only have two responses to the posts about me, and first one to Hells Unicorn:

Probably shouldn't question someone else's negative reviews until you write one or two of your own.

Unfortunately I don't pen negative reviews (or positive ones for that matter) for the sake of creating some illusion of credibility or proportionality, it would involve a level of intellectual dishonesty that I'm not really keen on. I have taken the time to read many of your negative reviews (hence my criticism), as well as most of the positive ones. Naturally I don't have the monetary issue to deal with, so my opinions are, if nothing else, genuine.

P.S. - Droneriot has this odd fixation with me of late, pay it little mind, it will pass. :p
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio (July 14, 1942 - May 16, 2010)

requiem99
The Buddhist Killbot

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:27 am 

hells_unicorn wrote:

Unfortunately I don't pen negative reviews (or positive ones for that matter) for the sake of creating some illusion of credibility or proportionality, it would involve a level of intellectual dishonesty that I'm not really keen on. I have taken the time to read many of your negative reviews (hence my criticism), as well as most of the positive ones. Naturally I don't have the monetary issue to deal with, so my opinions are, if nothing else, genuine.

P.S. - Droneriot has this odd fixation with me of late, pay it little mind, it will pass. :p

I know that man, you just like everything you hear and you're honest about it.

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:46 am 

requiem99 wrote:
hells_unicorn wrote:

I know that man, you just like everything you hear and you're honest about it.

Meh, I can see where Hells is coming from. I've deliberately tried writing some negative reviews recently to even mine out, and it's hard to do. I can only write on albums if said albums inspire me to write, it's hard to keep things even.

zeingard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:03 am 

I find it really easy to write negative reviews, that's probably not a good thing but there's something about terribly made or over-rated albums that just makes me write without even trying. My Meshuggah and DT reviews were both spawned rather spontaneously in such a method.

requiem99
The Buddhist Killbot

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:03 am 

caspian wrote:

Meh, I can see where Hells is coming from. I've deliberately tried writing some negative reviews recently to even mine out, and it's hard to do. I can only write on albums if said albums inspire me to write, it's hard to keep things even.

I see.

Peregrin
Cricket Bat of Longinus

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 3:45 am 

Am I the only one on this thread remembering that H_U has actually penned some negative reviews, most notably for Sigh No More and Blood Mountain?

requiem99
The Buddhist Killbot

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:21 am 

I did some counting on HU's profile because I'm sick of arguing the obvious without some numbers on my side:

465 total
23 reviews 59 percent or lower (an "F" grade) (4.94 percent)
168 reviews 60 percent to 89 percent (36.1 percent)
274 reviews 90 percent or higher (58.9 percent)
48 reviews exactly 100 percent (10.3 percent)

For comparison I am considered much too positive of a reviewer by many as well, but I've got:

494 total
87 reviews 59 percent or lower (17.6 percent)
249 reviews 60 to 89 percent (50.4 percent)
158 reviews 90 percent or higher (32 percent)
23 reviews exactly 100 percent (4.65 percent)

Edit: If the percents don't look like they add up correctly remember that 100s are also counted as being over 90 in that tally. Try adding all but the last row in both lists and it should work.

The_Boss
Set Abominae

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:47 pm 

requiem99 wrote:
I did some counting on HU's profile because I'm sick of arguing the obvious without some numbers on my side:

465 total

For comparison I am considered much too positive of a reviewer by many as well, but I've got:

494 total

Edit: If the percents don't look like they add up correctly remember that 100s are also counted as being over 90 in that tally. Try adding all but the last row in both lists and it should work.

Holy fetus that's a lot of math that makes my head hurt. But if it counts I enjoy BOTH hells unicorn reviews AND requiem99's reviews. :nods:

requiem99
The Buddhist Killbot

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 3:37 pm 

Not fighting with HU, just proving a point, used myself as a comparison because I get accused of being too positive quite often.

But compared to him, I'm a mean old mother fucker.

PriestofSadWings
Bishop of Dark Spaces

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:07 pm 

OlympicSharpshooter wrote:
PriestofSadWings wrote:
Peregrin wrote:
I'll repay the favour...

From the same person's review of Burn:

Quote:
When I think of this album, I always think of Deep Purple as a school teacher in a classroom. As Purple outlines a lesson in how to change your style of music without compromising your integrity, Rush (a nerdy kid with thick glasses) takes notes. Judas Priest is the dumb kid who doesn’t get it and asks stupid questions like “but isn’t it okay if a band needs money?” Meanwhile, Metallica, Megadeth and Dream Theater are fast asleep in the back of the classroom, their notebooks open but blank. As the teacher takes attendance, he discovers that Def Leppard, In Flames, and Slayer are absent…

Thanks, although now that they've released Systematic Chaos, Dream Theater are no longer sellouts. Train of Thought and Octavarium were mallprog and alt-prog, respectively, and I didn't like them.

Edit: requiem99's entire review of Into Eternity's latest album was very wtf. I mean, unless they've made some DRASTIC changes to their sound, it's probably not that bad. (Haven't heard it, but I saw the band live, and they were good.)

They're 'no longer sell-outs' because they started doing paint-by-numbers prog again? Horseshit. Making compromised music to pay the bills sans-inspiration remains a sin, regardless of what genre one is ostensibly performing in.

Maybe I made that a little unclear. The reason I like Systematic Chaos is because it's a return to Dream Theater's unique style. They're not trying to sound like Muse or U2 or Tool, they're trying to sound like Dream Theater. And it's heavy without being mallcore like ToT was. And there are some godly riffs on there.

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:31 pm 

zeingard wrote:
I find it really easy to write negative reviews, that's probably not a good thing but there's something about terribly made or over-rated albums that just makes me write without even trying. My Meshuggah and DT reviews were both spawned rather spontaneously in such a method.

Definitely, if it's a very overrated album I find it quite easy to write a negative review- my Nightwish reviews would be a good example, as would my Opeth one. It's hard to pick a crap, obscure album and bash it, though.

..And inspired by Requiem's stats, thought I'd do some as well:

224 total
35 reviews 59 percent or lower (15.6 percent)
134 reviews 60 to 89 percent (59.8 percent)
50 reviews 90 percent or higher (22.3 percent)
5 reviews exactly 100 percent (2.23 percent)

..Turns out I'm a much harsher writer then both of them. Not what I expected really.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:46 pm 

caspian wrote:

Someone do the stats for me!!! :)

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

OlympicSharpshooter
The Universal Magnetic

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:57 pm 

PriestofSadWings wrote:
OlympicSharpshooter wrote:
PriestofSadWings wrote:
Peregrin wrote:
I'll repay the favour...

From the same person's review of Burn:

Quote:
When I think of this album, I always think of Deep Purple as a school teacher in a classroom. As Purple outlines a lesson in how to change your style of music without compromising your integrity, Rush (a nerdy kid with thick glasses) takes notes. Judas Priest is the dumb kid who doesn’t get it and asks stupid questions like “but isn’t it okay if a band needs money?” Meanwhile, Metallica, Megadeth and Dream Theater are fast asleep in the back of the classroom, their notebooks open but blank. As the teacher takes attendance, he discovers that Def Leppard, In Flames, and Slayer are absent…

Thanks, although now that they've released Systematic Chaos, Dream Theater are no longer sellouts. Train of Thought and Octavarium were mallprog and alt-prog, respectively, and I didn't like them.

Edit: requiem99's entire review of Into Eternity's latest album was very wtf. I mean, unless they've made some DRASTIC changes to their sound, it's probably not that bad. (Haven't heard it, but I saw the band live, and they were good.)

They're 'no longer sell-outs' because they started doing paint-by-numbers prog again? Horseshit. Making compromised music to pay the bills sans-inspiration remains a sin, regardless of what genre one is ostensibly performing in.

Maybe I made that a little unclear. The reason I like Systematic Chaos is because it's a return to Dream Theater's unique style. They're not trying to sound like Muse or U2 or Tool, they're trying to sound like Dream Theater. And it's heavy without being mallcore like ToT was. And there are some godly riffs on there.

I got your point. Mine, though phrased sardonically, was simply that they haven't 'unsold-out'. Their mindset, which seems to be to shill soulless technical wankery to music clinic geeks, remains unchanged since 1999. The new album might, ostensibly, sound more like the cliche DT sound but it certainly isn't any better than the last few records have been. It's still hideously out-of-touch, uninspired drivel. I wish they'd packed it in after Falling Into Infinity, which was their last half-respectable effort.

Bloodstone
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 3:27 am 

PriestofSadWings wrote:
They're not trying to sound like Muse

*cough*Prophets of War*cough*

PriestofSadWings wrote:
it's heavy without being mallcore like ToT was.

*cough*The Dark Eternal Night*cough*

Systematic Chaos is the only late DT album I've heard, but in any case I'm definitely with OSS on this one. Can't say old DT was entirely without "technical wankery" either, but beneath all that there actually used to be good songwriting.

doomgrind
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:21 am 

Review for Virgin Black's Requiem - Mezzo Forte

DemonOfTheFall27 wrote:
Virgin Black's guitarist, Samantha Escarbe, is truly amazing on this album. From her lamentful soaring melodies, to her crushing metal riffs on "In Death" and "Domine"… she's got it all.

This is all he writes to describe the guitars/riffs. Shameful effort.

Peregrin
Cricket Bat of Longinus

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:37 am 

From Gutterscream's review of Black Death:

Gutterscream wrote:
Actually, I’m not sure if it’s the fault of the production that it sounds like it was recorded in traffic or at the back of a meat packing plant. There’s this obscure cacophony throughout the album’s lifespan much like the intro to “Black Death”, weird muddled nuances that are almost industrial drawl that just cannot be part of the actual songwriting process, like it was recorded live on the side of a freeway in the rain and someone drove by with a radio blaring, perhaps a long boom crane grumbling nearby, thunder, airplanes overhead, perhaps a timber mill just over yonder. Of course there’re varying levels of this stuff from song to song, most noticeable in “Hell’s Whip”, a song that would be quite impressive if it weren’t for the din of a recycling truck collecting this week’s glass in the background.

It's funny because it is so goddamn true.

requiem99
The Buddhist Killbot

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:45 am 

caspian wrote:

224 total
35 reviews 59 percent or lower (15.6 percent)
134 reviews 60 to 89 percent (59.8 percent)
50 reviews 90 percent or higher (22.3 percent)
5 reviews exactly 100 percent (2.23 percent)

..Turns out I'm a much harsher writer then both of them. Not what I expected really.

Actually you are quite close to mine. Within 10 percent overall.

Lana
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:38 pm 

requiem99 wrote:

465 total

494 total

For droneriot:
109 total
42 reviews 59 percent or lower (38.5 percent)
30 reviews 60 percent to 89 percent (27.5 percent)
37 reviews 90 percent or higher (34 percent)
5 reviews exactly 100 percent (4.5 percent)

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:40 pm 

Lana wrote:
requiem99 wrote:

465 total

494 total

For droneriot:
109 total
42 reviews 59 percent or lower (38.5 percent)
30 reviews 60 percent to 89 percent (27.5 percent)
37 reviews 90 percent or higher (34 percent)
5 reviews exactly 100 percent (4.5 percent)

I rule. :nods:

~Guest 3496
Exterminator 666 Does Not Answer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:59 pm 

For me:
Six total :oh shit:
Three at 59% or lower = 50%
Two at 60 to 89% = 33.333%
One at 90% or above = 16.666%

"'You must admit that there is the happiest man alive, for he is superior to all he possesses.'" ;-)

DrOctavia
Do Dark Horses Dream of Nightmares?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 4:00 am 

I was glancing over The_Boss' latest review and came across this:
Quote:
From the opening epic Crimson King, the album begins its journey with a bang, grabbing the listener’s ears forcing you to headbang and listen with the strength similar to that of a high school cheerleader on a nerdy virgin eager to get laid.

Now, maybe it's because it's two in the AM here, but does that sentence really make sense?

In the heat and the rain, with the whips and chains
To see him fly, so many die
We built a tower of stone, with our flesh and bone
Just to see him fly, but we don't know why
Now where do we go?

The_Boss
Set Abominae

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:05 pm 

Haha, I was trying to think of a comparison that really made sense to me and well, came up with that. :wink:

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 12:22 am 

The_Boss wrote:
Haha, I was trying to think of a comparison that really made sense to me and well, came up with that. :wink:

I gotta come up with better comparisons if I am competing with that. :lol:
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

YamaLlama
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 6:31 pm 

zeingard's Wolves in the Throne Room - Diadem of 12 Stars Review wrote:
These guys apparently live in the forest which is just about the most kvlt thing since Varg Vikernes discovered the kvlt equation; CHURCH + FIRE = AWESOME

made me :lol: .

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 10:24 pm 

zeingard's Wolves in the Throne Room - Diadem of 12 Stars Review wrote:
These guys apparently live in the forest which is just about the most kvlt thing since Varg Vikernes discovered the kvlt equation; CHURCH + FIRE = AWESOME

:lol: This is fools gold! :lol:
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

zeingard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 10:49 pm 

I blame CHPR2432... all I could think of was equations when I was writing that review. Good to know people find it funny despite that review being one of my more schizophrenic ^_^;

cinedracusio
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:59 am 

DrOctavia wrote:
Quote:
From the opening epic Crimson King, the album begins its journey with a bang, grabbing the listener’s ears forcing you to headbang and listen with the strength similar to that of a high school cheerleader on a nerdy (impotent) virgin eager to get laid.

Fixed it up.

Mungo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 1:10 am 

Human66's review of Maze of Torment's new album:

Human666 wrote:
Well it isn't hidden exactly. As soon as 'Breach The Wall' begin you can notice and smell the large Slayerish "influence" like a piece of shit in a pool of water. Yes, this album screams "Slayer!!!!!" hundreds times louder than a casual horror movie's virgin who just saw an ugly killer rips her dog's penis out of the window and splashing it's guts all over.

Seriously, what the fuck?? The second sentence is all over the place and is plain stupid. I realise he was trying to reinforce his point, but the bad engrish makes it worse.

Peregrin
Cricket Bat of Longinus

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 7:50 am 

From Noktorn's review of Defective Epitaph:

Quote:
It's like seeing a man build a house entirely out of waffles: it's cool to watch, and is pretty interesting just because of how obsessive, difficult, and strange a task it is, but in the end it's still a house made of waffles, and no amount of adornment is going to change it.

This is seriously the greatest simile ever used in a review.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:07 am 

DawnOfTheShred - Judas Priest - Jugulator

Quote:
Perhaps the only replacement singer more infamous than Blaze Bailey in Iron Maiden is Tim Owens in Judas Priest (note the irony in the similarities of both singers former bands, Wolfsbane and Winters Bane respectively).

Heh, never noticed that, actually.

Gutterscream
The Last Old Schooler in Town

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:58 pm 

A 'colorful' line from eViLBOris's latest review of Merrimack's Of Entropy And Life Denial.

"These dudes take the happy-pink-and-purple-with-seven-striped-multi-colored-candles birthday cake for lyrics, too."
"No, Lair...but that's a pretty damn good name too!".

~Guest 126069
Skanky

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 5:39 pm 

I've always loved this passage from Droneriot's review for Arboreal Eternity by Rainfall.

We all know that expression "by numbers". That Brian Posehn guy (I still have no idea who the heck that is) recently made it famous again with his "Metal by numbers"-song. Well, as we all know, that expression it derived from that colouring by numbers thing, where you have the outlines of a picture and fill them out with different colours according to the numbers within the different outlined shapes. Now, in colouring by numbers, there are different levels of difficulty, from complex pixtures with hundreds of different shapes and dozens of numbers for dozens of colours, all the way to simple three colour pictures for the youngest ones. If "Metal by numbers" went by the same levels of difficulties, Rainfall is what the very lowest difficulty level for Black Metal by numbers would sound like. Imagine a ten step program to achieve complete emulation of Burzum's "Filosofem", this release is a thorough representation of step one, and it is stuck on said first step. It's like a ten step program to achieve sounding completely like old Slayer, and the first thing you learn is how to play palm-muted power chords. Now imagine you'd take what you've learned and release a demo with nothing but palm-muted power chords and call it "Thrash Metal". Horrible thought, isn't it? This is the exact same thing, just with a Burzum-twist. The slow, extremely distorted arpeggios are there in their simplest form, and some tempo changes with switches to strummed chords are there as well, and that's that. "Filosofem" for ultra-green beginners, lowest amateur level.

eViLbOrIs
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:32 am 

I believe I out-clevered myself in my review for Elend's newest release, A World in Their Screams. Can someone please comfirm this.

*Commits suicide by jumpin' off his ego*

cinedracusio
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 8:41 am 

Uhm, you're not evil at all. No negative reviews???

eViLbOrIs
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:24 am 

I may not have any negative reviews up yet, but I recently re-upholstered my apartment with the skins of a thousand Jewish children, and I think that qualifies me.
Or: When I've only reviewed about 10-15 releases, 'You don't have any negative reviews' is not a grand sweeping statement with which to infer my overwhelming positivity.

Bash
Talking Meat

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:22 pm 

I have less reviews and some of them are negative.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:55 pm 

One of the first five or six reviews I did was negative (that Nightwish one).

Hellrisen
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 10:00 am 

From Noktorn's review of Gore Obsessed:

Quote:
The fact is that Cannibal Corpse is a great band, and it seems that the metal scene has forgotten that in its frantic clamor towards more 'intellectual' music. Cannibal Corpse is intellectual, but again, feels no need to advertise this fact to the entire world in the way Dream Theater does. Cannibal Corpse reflects the intelligence of early death metal: a band keeping to themselves, quietly plugging away with their music, and feeling no impulse to appear scholarly to anyone but themselves. This is not 'stupid people's music'; it's just unpretentious and suggests a sort of light-hiding bushel for the metal scene. I'd still rather listen to Cannibal Corpse than Arsis or Portal or whatever trendy new death metal band is taking the scene by storm simply by virtue of them not having to storm at all. I respect these guys a lot more than most bands, and I think more people should: while other bands have faltered, Cannibal Corpse has stayed true to their roots and clearly always will.

I can't help but agree with him here. It's so spot on.

Corimngul
Freddled Gruntbuggly

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 5:15 pm 

From brutalfritzy's review of Abysmal Torment's Epoch Of Methodic Carnage (which I just accepted). This line makes me wonder:

Quote:
It's runtime is 41:48, which is pretty unusual for a brutal DM CD
Because I hate ID 100369. Numbers 19, 29, 39, 49, 59 are incomplete and I hate it!

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 42  Next