Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:47 pm 

Crypticide wrote:
Thank you, English is actually my first language and only for that matter. I think really the only thing that gets me is where to put commas.

Well, no that's not the only thing, but it reads like a person learning the language. If you're a student, I recommend going to the writing center for tutoring. See the first bit of my reply to Grumpy Cat. It's for your own good.

Of course, you may also have just thought of this as a more casual situation, which is understandable. Mechanics are important, however, so if you know how to fix them, do so. If not, ask for help and then get it where you have the resources to.

Crypticide
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:48 pm 

This is the revised version:

Quote:
Here we are: Suffocation's masterpiece of brutality and technicality known as Effigy of the Forgotten. Released in 1991 on the R/C label, this album established Suffocation as one of the most important death metal bands and more importantly one of the best.

Yes, that's right, this album you are reading about is a damn fine record. It all starts with the first Track "Liege Of Inveracity." This song comes in with four quick bass drum taps as well as 4 guitar chords and then, a blast beat comes in. The song continues relatively fast paced until the 2 minute 50 second mark. Something revolutionary in death metal happens: the first appearance of the breakdown. now usually I find breakdowns kind of boring but, this breakdown is pure ear candy(by the way, King's X fucking rule!!!!) and really gets you standing up and head banging.

The formula of blast beats breakdowns and heavy fast tremolo picked riffing with a sort of thrashy feel dominate the rest of this beast. As I previously mentioned the breakdown in the first song, check out the breakdown in track 5 "Habitual Infamy." This breakdown occurs about 2 minutes into the song. The fast thrashy beat is going on and then all of a sudden the best drops, and it is just fucking glorious. Despite this album having a very rhythmic take on music, there are some really catchy almost melodic tendencies on this album. For example the opening riff of the song " Reincremation " has a very odd melodic thrashy thing going on with it before turning into some good old brutal death metal.

Enough of the instrument talk, let's discuss Frank Mullen's vocals on this album. Boy, is he really fucking guttural on this album. Whereas, with Chris Barnes and Craig Pillard I can sort of make out what they are saying looking at a lyric sheet, with Frank I get lost within the second line most of the time. So he's my vote of most guttural singer in death metal at that time. He gives an amazing vocal performance that just sounds awesome, he makes the album part of what it is, which is awesome grinding brutal death metal.

Now, of course with any album you have to discuss the production, how exactly does it all sound? well my friends it sounds very bassy with a very heavy production job courtesy of Scott Burns at the famous Morrisound Studio in Tampa, Florida. There is one tiny nitpick about the production and that is that the drum sound seems to change during the guitar solos and the guitar solos themselves are mixed in a way that they have sort an unappealing sound to them. But nitpicks like that really don't matter because this album in general rules!!

Stupid nitpicks aside, you get the gist of what I am saying. this album rules. it ruled then, it rules now, and will continue to rule for all of eternity. So why don't you do yourself a favor and let it rule over you.

9.8/10 just for those stupid nitpicks that are so small they don't matter.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:53 pm 

Crypticide wrote:
revised version:

Notes in spoiler.
Spoiler: show
(That was fast! I'd say too fast. Let's see how much changed)

Here we are: Suffocation's masterpiece of brutality and technicality known as Effigy of the Forgotten. Released in 1991 on the R/C label, this album established Suffocation as one of the most important death metal bands and more importantly one of the best.

Yes, that's right, this album you are reading about is a damn fine record. It all starts with the first Track "Liege Of Inveracity." This song comes in with four quick bass drum taps as well as 4 guitar chords and then, a blast beat comes in. :nazi: (Swing and a miss. I'm not sure you read those OWL rules. It's also a run-on sentence with a repetative syntax) The song continues relatively fast paced until the 2 minute 50 second mark. Something revolutionary in death metal happens: the first appearance of the breakdown. now :nazi: (Capitalization? Be sure to proofread carefully. No one's in a hurry here. Take your time) usually I find breakdowns kind of boring but, :nazi: this breakdown is pure ear candy (by the way, King's X fucking rule!!!!) (What does this mean?) and really gets you standing up and head banging.

The formula of blast beats breakdowns and heavy fast tremolo picked riffing with a sort of thrashy feel dominate the rest of this beast. As I previously mentioned the breakdown in the first song, check out the breakdown in track 5 "Habitual Infamy." This breakdown occurs about 2 minutes into the song. The fast thrashy beat is going on and then all of a sudden the best drops (The best drops?), and it is just fucking glorious. Despite this album having a very rhythmic take on music, there are some really catchy almost :nazi: melodic tendencies on this album. For example the opening riff of the song " Reincremation " (Spacing is weird with those quotation marks) has a very odd melodic thrashy thing going on with it before turning into some good old brutal death metal. ("odd", "thing", etc. are pretty vague descriptors. Remember that not all of your readers will be in the know)

Enough of the instrument talk, let's discuss Frank Mullen's vocals on this album. Boy, is he really are fucking guttural on this album. (That's a style note you can take or leave; it's up to you. I think less is more when getting to the point) Whereas, with (No comma. Again, read those rules) Chris Barnes and Craig Pillard I can sort of make out what they are saying looking at a lyric sheet, with Frank I get lost within the second line most of the time. So he's my vote of most guttural singer in death metal at that time ("moment." Word choices are important for clarity, so make that part of your proofreading). He gives an amazing vocal performance that just sounds awesome, he makes the album part of what it is, which is awesome grinding brutal death metal. :nazi: (This one I'll leave for you to puzzle out)

Now, of course with any album you have to discuss the production, how exactly does it all sound? well :nazi: my friends it :nazi: sounds very bassy with a very heavy production job courtesy of Scott Burns at the famous Morrisound Studio in Tampa, Florida. There is one tiny nitpick about the production and that is that the drum sound seems to change during the guitar solos and :nazi: the guitar solos themselves are mixed in a way that they have sort an unappealing sound to them (Awkward phrasing). But nitpicks like that really don't matter because this album in general rules!!

Stupid nitpicks aside, you get the gist of what I am saying. this :nazi: album rules. it :nazi: ruled then, it rules now, and will continue to rule for all of eternity. So why don't you do yourself a favor and let it rule over you. (<-- That's actually a question)

9.8/10 just for those stupid nitpicks that are so small they don't matter.

(So, just so you know, I'm not giving you the answers next time you post. I'll point them out, but won't correct them. You fixed what I pointed out in the way I indicated, but those corrections didn't translate to other mistakes of the same kind elsewhere in the review. Proofread and fix your mechanics. Read the comma rules link.)

meshigene
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:45 pm 

Hey, is it allowed to request feedback on reviews that were already accepted?

If so, would you kindly give me some feedback on the reviews I've written so far, and (preferably) polish them?

1. Unpure - Trinity in Black

Nothing special, just good blackened thrash - 75%

Trinity in Black is Unpure's first full-length album with a new, thrashier sound that's reminiscent of Bathory and Hellhammer. There was already a lot of Bathory and Hellhammer worship on their self-titled album and Coldland, but these two albums were just mediocre second wave black metal, while this album is a great attempt at first wave revival with some NWOBHM sprinkled in. There are still lots of second wave influence, though, especially in the first part of "Betrayers of the Black Art", which reminds me of Aura Noir or even Darkthrone with thrashy guitars, and the blasting beginning of "Warrior Seed". But still, this album is mainly fast, primitive and neck-breaking black/thrash, with exceptions being the aforementioned "Betrayers of the Black Art", "Foolspell", which probably fits the definition of "Iron Maiden with laryngitis" better than any Gothenburg melodeath song and "Pain Within", which is a similarly bare-bones doom metal track based around one riff and a chorus.

The highlight of the music is the guitarwork, which borrows more from old school thrash than from black metal, with simple and catchy but effective riffs and an occasional solo. The rhythm section, on the other hand, is nothing to write home about. The drums do little more than keep the beat, although they've got enough variety not to become boring, and the bass is barely audible, which is normal for thrash and black metal, and can only be clearly heard in the pointless instrumental part around the 2 minute mark of "Foolspell". The vocals are similarly mediocre, being a pretty low-pitched black metal rasp that gets annoying towards the end of the album, again, with some exceptions. On "The 3rd Call", which is the thrashiest track on the album, the vocals remind me of Cronos and Tom G. Warrior, and on "Pain Within" there are clean (if a bit over-processed) vocals which wouldn't seem out of place on a stoner/sludge metal song. Nevertheless, all of the vocal approaches suit the accompanying music very well.

Now the best part of this album is probably the production. It's very clear, but with a raw edge, emphasizing the thrashy parts better than the black metal ones and adding to the general "old school" sound. The only turn-off is perhaps the sound of the snare drum, which is similar to that on Bathory's Blood on Ice album, but not as loud and reverberated. There's also a lot of silly samples and one track ("The Final Call") which is a short and noisy interlude.

In conclusion, this album is 44 minutes of highly enjoyable and a tad upbeat black/thrash metal (and a silly interlude), but it doesn't bring anything new to the table. But then, black/thrash metal isn't all about originality, so that shouldn't be a problem for fans of the genre. Recommended for everyone who likes the thrash side of black/thrash metal.

2. Abigail - Descending from a Blackend Sky

warai - 100%

You know, there are times when you can almost hear the musicians' emotions in their music. In Abigail's music, you can only hear immense amounts of booze, so much booze, in fact, that it makes Motörhead seem teetotal by comparison. Speaking of which, a lot of Abigail's later output is slightly influenced by Motörhead. This little EP, however, contains almost no influences from Motörhead or any heavy metal at all, being pure raw black metal that reminds me of "the true" Darkthrone (although I doubt that Yasuyuki heard Under a Funeral Moon before recording this), especially on "The Lord of Satan", which consists of a blast beat, a couple of primitive tremolo riffs and Yasuyuki's demonic shrieks. The other two black metal songs, "Mephistopheles" and "Count Barbatos" are also incredibly simple, containing some of the most generic and primitive "evil" riffs imaginable. "Mephistopheles" has a short and sloppy guitar solo near the end, though, but it doesn't make it much more complicated.

The production is much rawer and noisier than even on the demos, but it's pretty much the only thing that reminds me of later Abigail releases. It sounds a bit like the "evil tin can" stereotype of black metal, but much fuller due to the bass being clearly audible and almost overpowering the other instruments at times.

"Swing Your Hammer" and the title track are goofy keyboard tracks which are probably even more hilarious than the rest of this EP. I hate keyboard intros and interludes but these ones serve their purpose very well, adding to the general "atmosphere" of this record. Both of them consist of arpeggio-like sequences repeated until they lose all (and even more) meaning, with "Swing Your Hammer" being the better of two just because it's more ridiculous and doesn't get boring towards the end.

To sum it up, this gets a perfect score just because it's some of the goofiest, absurdest and most ludicrous metal (and keyboard nonsense) I've ever heard that doesn't seem to try too hard to be funny, together with Hades Archer's Penis Metal, Hellhammer's Apocalyptic Raids and Beherit's Demonomancy, to name a few. If I judged it based only on musical value, I'd give it a much lower score, because, even though I'm a sucker for raw black metal, I like when it's actually got some special qualities, or is at least simply eerie and haunting. This EP is, again, just silly and laughable from beginning to end, and that is its main advantage.

Recommended either for Abigail completists or people who like the band for its primitivity, rawness and comedy value. If you want some of the "street metal" that Abigail is known for, check out one of their full-lengths or countless EPs and splits.

3. Infernal Pussy - Asesinas de la Noche

Awful. - 20%

From the first few seconds of this demo it becomes obvious that the girls from Infernal Pussy absolutely love Yasuyuki Suzuki. Hell, even the band name sounds like an Abigail song title. The music on here is raw, fast and sloppy black metal with a touch of punk that is obviously heavily inspired by early Abigail and Barbatos. But it lacks almost everything the fans like about those two bands: catchy riffage and fun rock'n'roll leads. Sure, it's sloppy and (apparently) filled with booze, but that alone doesn't make great street metal. Also, while Abigail and Barbatos are mostly one-man bands (with another alcoholic metalhead behind the kit), Infernal Pussy has four members. Ugh. Well, I didn't expect much of a demo from an obscure Colombian all-female black metal band in the first place, especially given the awful cover art, but I was still left very disappointed.

The music on this demo is, again, bare-bones punk/black metal without the elements that make the good punk/black metal bands good, like Barbatos and Syphilitic Vaginas' guitarwork or Ildjarn and Bone Awl's primitive evil. There really isn't much to say about it, because all tracks sound pretty much the same and they're mediocre at best. The drums just monotonously blast away at speeds that are below average for black metal, the bass is way too high in the mix and the guitars are buzzy and barely audible. There aren't a lot of decent, let alone good riffs, the guitar and the bass work consists mainly of crappy single string tremolo picking that gets boring pretty quickly. At least the production isn't a wall of noise, it's raw and noisy, sure, but every instrument (except the guitars) can be heard pretty clearly, but it's still poor since it doesn't create any kind of atmosphere. It doesn't even seem like the band members had a blast playing this.

This demo gets 15 points for one half-decent track ("Infernal Pussy") and another 5 points because it's got actual drumming, which is quite a rare find in black metal nowadays.

Not recommended to anyone, even the most diehard punk/black metal fans.

4. Wóddréa Mylenstede - s/t demo

Victorian black metal? - 65%

Now this has to be one of the worst production jobs I've ever heard. Hell, this makes Mayhem's infamous "Pure Fucking Armageddon" and Ulver's "Nattens madrigal" sound crystal clear by comparison. Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with raw black metal, as long as the raw production actually adds to the atmosphere (no need to go far - this same band's second demo is a great example) and I enjoy quite a lot of lo-fi black metal, but there's a border between grim and frostbitten black metal and pure fucking noise.

This demo almost crosses this border at times: the first time I tried to listen to it, I thought I was listening to the sounds of a fucking broken elevator. I couldn't discern anything behind the wall of noise, other than the occasional cymbal crash. After a few more listens, I could tell the drums and the guitars apart, but it was still hard to pay attention to the music. The production on this demo is so raw that, even when you get used to the rawness, it's still hard to tell if the drummer is playing a blast beat, a fast 2/4 beat or something else, and the guitars and vocals melt into one loud, ear-piercing howl most of the time. Kind of like early Deathspell Omega in that one needs to get past the awful production in order to appreciate the music. However, the production adds to the overall atmosphere... in a way. The whole demo sounds like it was recorded with a phonograph somewhere in the late 19th century. While most Legion Blotan (and raw BM in general) releases sound a bit vintage because of their sheer rawness, this demo takes the cake for actually sounding like a ghastly voice of the past.

Also, I don't know if it was done for added "kvltness" or out of laziness or lack of creativity, but all the tracks on here are untitled.

Now onto the music, it's some of the most haunting, cold and dissonant black metal this side of the Black Legions. Most of the raw black metal tropes are turned up to 11 on this demo: lots of dissonant tremolo picking, howling vocals, blasting drums and, you guessed it, nonexistent production. But despite all the rawness and dissonance, there are some... melodic and "folky" (but still unsettling) guitar passages, especially notable towards the end of the 3rd track. Other than that, the guitarwork consists of tremolo picking and a lot of feedback. The drums are barely audible, but the cymbals are pretty high in the mix, which is typical of raw black metal, and the drum patterns (at least the ones I could hear) are nothing special, consisting mainly of blast beats. Again, that's the norm for black metal. Now the vocals here are really special. They actually resemble the howls of a wolf (or the cries of a ghost), probably because of the production, but still, they're freaky as hell and they'll haunt you in your dreams.

All in all, this demo is very weird and unsettling. It sounds very old and lifeless, but in a good way. Like all of raw black metal (or black metal in general, really), you have to be in the mood to tolerate, let alone enjoy it. I'd rate this demo higher if it wasn't for the production, which, while adding to the eerie atmosphere, is just too raw and noisy. Luckily, Wóddréa Mylenstede would improve the sound quality on their later releases, allowing the instruments to be heard clearly while retaining the first demo's morbidity and the vintage vibe.

Highlights: the opener, the 3rd track and the closer.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:18 am 

I guess I don't have anything to add about them. A couple of punctuation marks out of place here and there, and you could forego the Highlights sections (never cared for those). Other than that, they're fine. This straightforward descriptive style is just fine for what it is. If you're looking for more input than that, I think you're going to have to try a different style or be more specific about what you're looking for.

meshigene
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:31 am 

Alright, thanks. A basic and straightforward description of the album is fine by me, so I guess it's better to stick with this style for the time being.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:55 pm 

No problem. Proofread more carefully, but that's my only major note. Adding more personal reactions wouldn't hurt, either. Picking something specific about an album and developing it into a larger insight could help it be more interesting for a reader, but more importantly so for you personally while writing and reflecting.

Tonatiuth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:13 pm 

Hi, I would like to get any suggestion on the review done in the Tarpit's album "There Is Nothing After Extinction"
I did myself some changes but I would like to get a second opinion

Quote:
This full-length album does not have anything remarkable at all, the problem is the evident lack of budget and the overall tuning for all the songs throughout the album, in this particular case all the songs are just like the same song with some minor changes, recurrent riffs and very poor lyric usage, the overall sound is raw and with no musical intentions on it and just odd rhythm compared to pure noise.
To listen this album twice is something reserved just for the band members themselves and their closest friends since there is no music quality on this one, the distortion on the guitar is too loud that all the other instruments are not audible, bass is completely muted and the vocals as loud as guitars make this similar to the first demo tape for an amateur garage band.

In conclusion, there is nothing to say about this album that could be memorable, I can't dare myself to listen one of their demos, if this full-length has this tremendous low quality, probably the demos are worse.
Nothing remarkable.

lol I believe there's a misunderstanding. Tonatiuth is referring to the deathcore band, not anything related to your music.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:21 pm 

Tonatiuth wrote:
Hi, I would like to get any suggestion on the review done in the Tarpit's album "There Is Nothing After Extinction"

A couple of questions beforehand: I'm guessing English isn't your native language? Have you taken English composition in school? Can you please replace the necessary commas with periods to properly separate your sentences, capitalizing the appropriate words when you do? It's pretty redundant and analysis/description is thin, so as you make these corrections, feel free to work on the substance of the piece.

I'm having a hard time understanding why commas are being used instead of periods so frequently in people's submissions. I can understand not being tight on comma use within a sentence because they're multipurpose. Periods have a monopoly on their job market. They have literally one job.

Tonatiuth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:48 pm 

Grave_Wyrm wrote:
A couple of questions beforehand: I'm guessing English isn't your native language? Have you taken English composition in school? Can you please replace the necessary commas with periods to properly separate your sentences, capitalizing the appropriate words when you do?

I'm having a hard time understanding why commas are being used instead of periods so frequently in people's submissions. I can understand not being tight on comma use within a sentence because they're multipurpose. Periods have a monopoly on their job market. They have literally one job.

You are correct, is not my native speaking language and yet still is hard to make the difference in the commas usage and that is because in almost every romance language (spanish, portuguese, french, italian etc.) the commas are being used to separate each breath when you read out loud the text so you will find a lot of commas in a regular text. Periods are just being used when you change ideas in the same sentence or to change the paragraph and that's it.

Thanks a lot for your suggestions I'm working is some corrections and adding text to unite the ideas. Hopefully I'll get something more decent.

lol I believe there's a misunderstanding. Tonatiuth is referring to the deathcore band, not anything related to your music.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:06 pm 

Eh .. I'm skeptical of that, but you're the Spanish speaker. I'm looking up Italian punctuation, and it's got some variations, but not what you're saying.

In any event, here are the English rules. https://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/607/02/

Tonatiuth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:23 pm 

Here is a corrected version.
Let me know what you think.

Quote:
This full-length album does not have anything remarkable at all because in this particular case all the songs are just like the same song with some minor changes that includes recurrent simple riffs and very poor lyric usage that makes this painful to hear, even with low volume.

To hear this album twice is something reserved just for the band members themselves and their closest friends since there is no quality at all, the distortion on the guitar is too loud that all the other instruments are not audible, bass is completely muted and the vocals as loud as guitars make this similar to the first demo tape for an amateur garage band. Here you will have to deal with random drumming that never changes through the whole record adding the overall low tuning for all songs that makes this a complete mess, so the overall sound is raw with no shine and there is no musical intentions on it and just a boring odd rhythm instead that could be compared to pure noise through 54 long minutes. Here is evident their lack of efforts on the creative process unless they had the full explicit intentions to make their music (if we can call this actual music) hard to listen and if that was the case, then they succeeded as the groove rhythm is very repetitive and the recording quality is compared to the audio from an old cellphone microphone.

In conclusion, there is nothing to say about this album that could be memorable and I can't dare myself to listen one of their demos even for comparison because if this full-length has this tremendous low quality, probably the demos are worse and maybe someone with good intentions could think that their main problem is the evident lack of budget for the recording but this record goes beyond that as everything is wrong with it.
It could be possible that eventually someday somehow they could do something better but from now on I am pretty sure that is not going to happen in the future as this is their latest release and probably the last.

Thanks a lot as well for the link to the commas usage. I found it very helpful.

MDL
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:48 pm 

Hails, I've wrote a review for an album and it was rejected because of formatting errors and typos. I already corrected them, well, I think, what is your opinion on this new draft?:

"Origin- Omnipresent
Rating: 30%

The veteran technical death metal band from Kansas, Origin, have been always refered as one of the greatest icons of the genre, because of their unique style of making complex, heavy and pretty original music (which actually matches with the band's name). Since their first work in 1998, Origin has been able to kick many asses of posers and could even create their own legion of fans and faithful lovers of their music.

However, this time, Origin just failed to show up their creativity and potential, leaving their album "Omnipresent" an absolutely terrible blur on technical death metal history and obviously, in the band's own discography. The impression that I got by listening to the whole album, was that the band's musicians appeared to be following a "happy-go-luck" style, which eventually ended up in the creation of just two acceptable tracks: "All Things Dead" (track 1) and "Manifest Desolate" (track 4), having the other eleven songs all messed up.
More than that, also seems that Origin just wanted to end the album's recording as fast as they could, so, they ended up to record whatever they were thinking about and that was possible to play on guitars, bass and drums.

It just misses the "music made with soul" point. The same situation happens with the vocals. Both also miss that part that ends up to make the listener to remember the songs and to feel something positive on them. Technically, it looks like that Origin just took out influences for their new album from The Great Kat's random instrumental and vocal atrocities.

I would say that the peak of Origin's emotion and inspiration to start the production and recording of "Omnipresent" was only manifested on the beginning of it, when, probably, the aformentioned songs were created. The rest of the tracks sound totallt fucked up: an amount of shredding guitar wankery and blast beats played without any intention of making the beating to sound good. The vocals, performed by both Paul Ryan and Mike Flores (who are also, respectively, the band's guitar and bass players), are extremely random. I mean, there are just guttural growls and screams throwed up in any possible and applicable occasion.
While in "All Things Dead", the vocals sound pretty well performed and show very well done sections for both screaming and growling, the other songs even fail to have just a "good" articulation. That same track's instrumental parts are pretty good, although they start to get a little repetitive and boring even before the song ends. I don't recommend anyone to listen to this song twice in a row.

In spite of that, it is a pretty good introduction, and I expected that the whole album would be similar to it, with is respective highs and lows, just like what happens with every other band's discography. What I didn't knew is that the "low" part was going to encroach the entire full-length, leaving only one high part, also at the beginning:
"Manifest Desolate" shows up an amazing instrumental performance with a great articulation between instruments, not exceeding or appearing that it is about to fall down in any single way. More than that, the technical and progressive music roots, that are one of the biggest marks of the band (along with their heaviness), are integrated perfectly. This track is, in an instrumental level, flawless. It's sad that this is actually the only song that doesn't sound so random and souless as the others.

Overall, the album's music is extremely forgettable. It's more repetitve than memorable, I believe that the band switched up those terms while creating it. Even on the spectrum of brutality and heaviness, Origin fails to show their full power, lowing to the level of an average and watered down Suffocation-like musicality.

Despite of that, the sound production is very solid and strong, you can actually hear all the instruments and the technical skills of the musicians, as if they were playing right in front of you. In my opinion, the production is very good and absolutely flawless, the band just did not used it on the best way.

I don't recommend you to buy this album, even if you are a die-hard technical death metal fan, because it is extremely boring and unoriginal. I'm happy to know that I'm not the only one with such an opinion about "Omnipresent", since it's rating on MA and even on non-formal Youtube comments share pretty much the same opinion as mine."

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:32 pm 

Tonatiuth wrote:
Here is a corrected version. ... Thanks a lot as well for the link to the commas usage. I found it very helpful.

You're welcome!

Notes in spoiler.

(I wouldn't be surprised to read a moderator's feedback that this wasn't up to the English standards of the site. If it is, it's borderline. I'm not going to be going through every single error, obviously, but I'll point out major issues. I recommend going to whatever English composition tutor you can, even if it's your buddy. You're off to a reasonable start, but there are a lot of technical errors and awkward phrasing. I don't mean you have to be fluent to write reviews. A moderator would be able to tell you exactly where that line is.)

This full-length album does not have anything remarkable at all because in this particular case all the songs are just like the same song with some minor changes that includes recurrent simple riffs and very poor lyric usage that makes this painful to hear, even with low volume.
(This is a very long sentence. Try to say the same things simply, and consider where a sentence break could be put in.)

To hear this album twice is something reserved just for the band members themselves and their closest friends since there is no quality at all, the distortion on the guitar is too loud that all the other instruments are not audible, bass is completely muted and the vocals as loud as guitars make this similar to the first demo tape for an amateur garage band.
(Run-on sentence. That's when a bunch of independent sentences are linked through "so" "and", etc. It's difficult to put more than two complete sentences into one without sounding laboriously awkward. Sentences should generally only really have one idea to them. When you switch to several ideas in a single sentence, you should probably just make discrete sentences.)

Here you will have to deal with random drumming that never changes through the whole record adding the overall low tuning for all songs that makes this a complete mess, so the overall sound is raw with no shine and there is no musical intentions on it and just a boring odd rhythm instead that could be compared to pure noise through 54 long minutes.
(Another run-on sentence.)

Here is evident their lack of efforts on the creative process unless they had the full explicit intentions to make their music (if we can call this actual music) hard to listen :nazi: (Intention is unclear. This is something you should take to an English tutor.) and if that was the case, then they succeeded as the groove rhythm is very repetitive and the recording quality is compared to the audio from an old cellphone microphone.
(Another run-on sentence.)

In conclusion, there is nothing to say about this album that could be memorable and I can't dare myself to listen one of their demos even for comparison because if this full-length has this tremendous low quality, probably the demos are worse and maybe someone with good intentions could think that their main problem is the evident lack of budget for the recording but this record goes beyond that as everything is wrong with it. (Holy shit. Try reading this out loud. I promise you'll know exaclty what I mean.)
It could be possible that eventually someday somehow they could do something better but from now on I am pretty sure that is not going to happen in the future as this is their latest release and probably the last.

(This review remains broken. Run-ons are the chief culprit, but this comes down to needing English composition help. There are a lot of different ways to change this into a passable review, so you'll have to work with a teacher to work out what you're trying to say and the best way to do that. I won't be offering answers because that opens the door to cut and paste without actually learning. Good luck.)

MDL666 wrote:
"Origin- Omnipresent
Rating: 30%

Notes in spoiler.

(Lots and lots of mechanical and grammatical errors. Report to a tutoring session and see the commas link further up the page.

The veteran technical death metal band from Kansas, Origin, :nazi: (I see what you mean to do, but this is incorrect. It should read "This veteran Kansas death metal band, Origin, ..." but I don't think you need to include the band name at all. It would be clearer that way. But be sure to use "this" so that it's obvious you're being very specific) have been always refered :nazi: (Spelling) as one of the greatest icons (Redundant) of the genre, because of their unique style of making complex, heavy and pretty original music (which actually matches with the band's name). (Over-long sentence. Rework toward simplicity) Since their first work in 1998, Origin has been able to kick many asses of posers and could even create :nazi: (Could create? Intention unclear) their own legion of fans and faithful lovers of their music.

However, this time, :nazi: (Don't need second comma. Do you see why?) Origin just failed to show up their creativity (Errors in phrasing) and potential, leaving their album "Omnipresent" (Formatting. Italicize album titles) an absolutely terrible blur on technical death metal history ("Blur"? Do you mean "stain"? "Blight"? Clarify turn of phrase) and obviously, :nazi: (Comma usage. See Purdue link in post further up the page) in the band's own discography. The impression that I got by listening to the whole album, was :nazi: that the band's musicians appeared to be following a "happy-go-luck" (lucky) style, which eventually ended up in the creation of just two acceptable tracks: "All Things Dead" (track 1) and "Manifest Desolate" (track 4), having ("leaving"? "the other songs being?" Clarify intention/phrasing) the other eleven songs all messed up.
More than that, also :nazi: seems that Origin just wanted to end the album's recording as fast as they could, so, they :nazi: (Commas) ended up to record whatever they were thinking about and that was possible to play on guitars, bass and drums :nazi: (Commas).

It just misses the "music made with soul" point. The same situation happens with the vocals. Both also miss that part that ends up to make the listener to remember the songs and to feel something positive on them :nazi: (Phrasing. "toward"? "for them"? "about them?" One doesn't feel positive on something in English). Technically, it looks like that Origin :nazi: just took out influences for their new album from The Great Kat's random instrumental and vocal atrocities.

I would say that the peak of Origin's emotion and inspiration to start the production and recording of "Omnipresent" was only manifested on the beginning of it, when, probably, the :nazi: aformentioned songs were created. The rest of the tracks sound totallt :nazi: fucked up: an amount of shredding guitar wankery and blast beats played without any intention of making the beating to sound good. The vocals, performed by both Paul Ryan and Mike Flores (who are also, respectively the band's guitar and bass players) are extremely random. I mean, there :nazi: are just guttural growls and screams throwed up in any possible and applicable occasion. (Unclear phrasing.)
While in "All Things Dead", the vocals sound pretty well performed and show very well done sections for both screaming and growling, the other songs even fail to have just a "good" articulation. That same track's instrumental parts are pretty good, although they start to get a little repetitive and boring even before the song ends. I don't recommend anyone to listen to this song twice in a row.

In spite of that, it is a pretty good introduction, and I expected that the whole album would be similar to it, with is respective highs and lows, just like what happens with every other band's discography. What I didn't knew is that the "low" part was going to encroach the entire full-length, leaving only one high part, also at the beginning: (???)
"Manifest Desolate" (What's up with this formatting? Why is there a colon there? What's going on?!?) shows up an amazing instrumental performance :nazi: ("shows up a performance" isn't what you mean to say in English. Clarify intention and phrasing) with a great articulation between instruments, not exceeding or appearing that it is about to fall down in any single way. (?? Not clear what you're trying to say) More than that, the technical and progressive music roots, that :nazi: are one of the biggest marks of the band (along with their heaviness), are integrated perfectly. :nazi: This track is, in an instrumental level, flawless. It's sad that this is actually the only song that doesn't sound so random and souless as the others.

Overall, the album's music is extremely forgettable. It's more repetitve than memorable, I believe :nazi: that the band switched up those terms while creating it. Even on the spectrum of brutality and heaviness, Origin fails to show their full power, lowing to the level :nazi: ("lowering"? "dropping"? "falling"? Low is an adjective, not a verb. To low doesn't exist. Something is low or lower, or something is lowered; one lowers something) of an average and watered down Suffocation-like musicality.

Despite of that, the sound production is very solid and strong, you :nazi: can actually hear all the instruments and the technical skills of the musicians, as if they were playing right in front of you. In my opinion, the production is very good and absolutely flawless, the :nazi: band just did not used it on the best way.

I don't recommend you to buy this album, even :nazi: if you are a die-hard technical death metal fan, because :nazi: it is extremely boring and unoriginal. I'm happy to know that I'm not the only one with such an opinion about "Omnipresent", since it's rating on MA and even on non-formal Youtube comments share pretty much the same opinion as mine." (<-- why is this quotation mark here?)
(The last two paragraphs are redundant, and can likely be reworked into one paragraph that says all this more easily.)

(Like Tonatiuth, I suggest you go to an English tutor at your school. I can't do this painstaking note-giving every time, but general notes weren't going to be specific enough. This review has all the common errors. They're fixable, you just need to learn the rules of English better, and that takes practice. See the commas link in the Tonatiuth post further up the page, proofread, and talk to a person you know/teacher/tutor etc. for help. You aren't that far off, but this many errors mean that you're foggy on the rules. Good luck.)

MDL
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:10 pm 

I'll forget about it, there are just too many things to correct and it happens in every other review I had wrote.
Thanks for your time, anyway.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:30 pm 

I don't see why you're giving up entirely. It's not like you're that far away from taking your English to a passable level.

Next time I'll be sure to ask if the poster is interested in personal improvement before I put this much time in.

2Eagle333
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:53 am 

Tonatiuth wrote:

Perhaps a full-stop after 'changes' would be appropriate, albeit very Black Sabbath. 'Includes' should be 'include.' A comma before 'because' might help, to amplify the slightly notable initial claim.

You seem to be saying that the 'changes' include recurrent simple riffs and also very poor lyric usage, but presumably the poor lyrics are instead quite consistent across the album. Hence, that might be better placed in a separate sentence, along the lines of, 'It also includes...' or such.

In general, the problem with this review seems to be that almost each sentence also includes a list of elements in the music that substantiate it. This is more of a technical issue than anything. Not every sentence can be a list of aspects, you also need some to establish the overall direction of your review. Generally, it has little.

Quote:
To hear this album twice is something reserved just for the band members themselves and their closest friends since there is no quality at all, the distortion on the guitar is too loud that all the other instruments are not audible, bass is completely muted and the vocals as loud as guitars make this similar to the first demo tape for an amateur garage band.

'To hear this album twice,' or rather listen to it, isn't necessarily a conventional category that can just be shunted into a review. It might not have an immediate impact. You might want to couch this with a statement like, 'After listening to this album, you wouldn't want to listen to it again,' or whatever. In addition, this just talks about the quality of the rendering, not of the music - if you want to listen to the music that much, you probably like it.

In general, these sentences seem to easily go into a list of different instruments and sounds. Perhaps you would want to write sentences expressing your overall point preceding this elaboration of it.

Quote:
Here you will have to deal with random drumming that never changes through the whole record adding the overall low tuning for all songs that makes this a complete mess, so the overall sound is raw with no shine and there is no musical intentions on it and just a boring odd rhythm instead that could be compared to pure noise through 54 long minutes.

This is probably going to be Autothrall's next review of a Fates Warning record, so you're onto something here. Keep going, it could catch on.

Still, you have, strangely, kept on throwing out 'negative' elements of the album almost at random. The reader by this point perhaps gets the point that the album is being portrayed as 'bad,' and that you dislike several elements of it. Give this some direction.

Quote:
Here is evident their lack of efforts on the creative process unless they had the full explicit intentions to make their music (if we can call this actual music) hard to listen

Many black metal bands, for instance, do just this.

However, while this segment is quite understandable, sections seem to be overly qualified, as it were. 'Full explicit intentions' doesn't seem necessary. 'Creative process' is a somewhat weighted term in recent English, so you might want to avoid it - however, it's not necessarily a problem.

Perhaps something like, '...their lack of effort on the creative process unless they had the intention of making [even 'to make' is readable here] their music...' Not a major change, but it should help the sentence at least.

Quote:
and if that was the case, then they succeeded as the groove rhythm is very repetitive and the recording quality is compared to the audio from an old cellphone microphone.

Mostly, this isn't new. You might wanted to have explained the 'groove' rhythm, as it's something of a notable term here. The English and whatnot is mostly fine here, it's just that the review is continually repeating the same things, without putting much of a new angle on it.

You want 'comparable,' not compared, which means that it is compared - by someone - rather than that it is similar.

Quote:
In conclusion, there is nothing to say about this album that could be memorable

This doesn't seem to speak well of your review, then.

Perhaps 'there is nothing about this album,' or something along those lines.

Quote:
and I can't dare myself to listen one of their demos even for comparison because if this full-length has this tremendous low quality, probably the demos are worse and maybe someone with good intentions could think that their main problem is the evident lack of budget for the recording but this record goes beyond that as everything is wrong with it.

This isn't a review of the demos. In addition, you don't necessarily mention 'everything,' you actually leave out much of what is relevant to the genre. How are the demos going to be worse, then, anyway?

Perhaps by this point we're asking in the territory of, 'De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas,' but nonetheless these things should be clarified.

Quote:

Someday, somehow, they're going to make it alright but not right now. Somewhat unfortunate choice of phrasing in the review, but anyway.

The review does little to mention the overall direction of the album or what it is conveying, and whether or not this occurs.

In general, it might be somewhat complex to fix this by generic standards, due to its being in a way a problem of approach - similar things being tacked on to each sentence - rather than merely of technical matters, which could easily be corrected.

Still, the earlier review seemed to be more fluid and in some ways better, albeit the part leading up to 'poor lyric usage' doesn't really have any precedent in the earlier sentence but claims to respond to it. It's clear that it is an explanation, but the sentence does not make it clear of what it is an explanation. Nonetheless, that seemed to require less changes, ultimately.

Last edited by 2Eagle333 on Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:56 am 

Users who have had most of their review attempts rejected should not be giving advice in this thread. :scratch:
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

2Eagle333
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:58 am 

That shouldn't be a problem, then.

stainedclass2112
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:45 pm 

-

Last edited by stainedclass2112 on Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Guest 388629
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:51 pm 

I had written down my first two reviews for these albums "Lacuna Coil - Delirium" and "Moonspell - Irreligious". Despite me using spell check, my reviews still got rejected due to bad grammar I need someone to check these reviews to see what is wrong.

Lacuna Coil Delirium

Still Never Disappoints! - 90%

A lot has happened for my favorite Metal band Lacuna Coil in the past three years. The band loses three of its members in just three years Cristiano Mozzati (Drummer), Pizza (Guitar) and Marco "Maus" Biazzi (Guitar) which to me was disappointing. It made me think that "Will this hinder how the band will sound on the next album?"

I was so excited about the coming of Delirium and hoping that the departure of their previous members would make them a stronger band itself. When the singles came out "House of Shame," "Delirium" and "Ghost in the Mist" I had to listen to them instantly and because I heard that Delirium would be their most aggressive album yet. However, at the first listening of Ghost of the Mist and House of Shame, it almost sounded like they were including metalcore elements because it had breakdowns in it and I was "What?!?", because I hated metalcore music, but upon continuing to listen to the songs, the songs actually sounded kick ass in my opinion and kept listening to them a lot.

When the album finally came out and got my first listen to the rest of the songs, they were actually pretty amazing. Most of the songs, but not all did have elements of breakdowns and metalcore. Cristina's voice is still strong and this was the first time that I ever hear Andrea Ferro's voice with really aggressive vocals in some songs too, which also interest me as well. Something that is different from they're previous albums. This was an album where Andrea has the most singing as well and little for Cristina to sing and didn't really hear any parts where the pair is singing together. Some of the songs though sounded like it was turning to a softer for the metal community especially when they did a cover of Madonna's song "Live To Tell" but still, I didn't have any complaints about them covering the song or turning more into radio metal music.

Favorites like Take Me Home, "Ghost in the Mist," "My Demons," "Claustrophobia" and "Broken Things," it also had core elements of what LC suppose to sound like as well, Darkness and despair and for this album talking about mental feelings, this album has good approach on the themes and lyrics as well in which some really tells a lot about what I have dealt with before. The guitar approaches though has changed. Other than the inclusion of breakdown's, the guitars are also down tuned as well which brings in more heaviness to the album, however, has more complex tempos compared to the past albums.

At the end of the day, The album stands out as the band's most aggressive album, and I loved the album and kept listening to it over and over again bringing along a catchy album. It's showing that a band is still going strong and evolving well. When since people did not like the album, confused me, what was is that wasn't good. I get that it is not one the band's most memorable albums but I couldn't care what people say about delirium negatively and it's their opinion, that's OK. However sorry, this is an amazing record and it is now is one of my personal favorite LC albums, so I say to the band, they still impress me, they are still amazing and I'm still devoted to the music. Though it gets a 90 because there are better LC albums to listen to other than Delirium. So here is a middle finger to all the elitist.

Moonspell - Irreligious

Its a Full Moon Madness! - 100%

When I was beginning to get into gothic metal, The top bands that were among my favorites are Type O Negative and Lacuna Coil. However, as my music began to evolve I started getting deeper into gothic metal and one band in particular that was beautiful when I first heard them, was Moonspell.

The first songs that I have dug up from this album were Opium and Full Moon Madness, the band's most signature songs. At first, I was instantly blown away by its Atmosphere, it had passion, Drama and Darkness combined into these songs. Full Moon Madness, in particular, is perhaps one of the most powerful songs that I have ever heard. The Dark Vocals, Powerful Guitar and lyrics that gives you the imagination, were on point and gives a lot of extra substance to the song as well.

I was impressed with the songs that I decided to listen to Irreligious in full. The albums that I like the most were not only the most catchy to me, but can have songs that will never stop in the album or can tell a story, like Rock/Metal Operas and Concept albums. The entire album is still very amazing and much like its two songs, the album is powerful and is an album for those looking for an album that has songs that can keep going throughout or halfway into the album. I mean it is Moonspell's most notable album. The Major reasons for this are of course for its Dramatic Atmosphere, the sound of Fernando's voice both clean and non-clean that sets it apart from other gothic metal bands and for its Punching Guitar sounds that made this very album they're best work and one of the greatest in the genre.

As you can tell, Irreligious is amazing to me, and is now of my favorite albums to listen to. To this day every time a Full Moon is shining the night, I always listen to Full Moon Madness. As a gothic metal fan, this is Essential to the sounds of the genre.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:18 am 

stainedclass2112 wrote:
Running Wild's first album.

You might consider switching the second and third paragraphs. I think the general information in the third paragraph runs better coming out of the introduction, particularly because it does the most to describe how this is not their best album (you iconoclast, you). The introduction paragraph is pretty weak. I'm sure you can set the stage for a review of a band's inaugural, celebrated work better than "the satan and the evil and the metal and stuff and things!" It starts off all presentational and is almost an immediate let down. Either change the beginning or step up the rest of the review.

I think I'm going to do things differently from now on, starting more generally and briefly and then, once the person has shown that he/she gives a fecal yam, spending the time to point out the comma problems and other such lice.

stainedclass2112
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:46 am 

_

Last edited by stainedclass2112 on Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
maxscam
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:36 am 

My review was rejected because: "No track by track review. This is clearly written in the rules."

Actually, no, it's not clearly written in the rules. It says it's discouraged, which is why I split my review into two parts: a general synopsis and a track-by-track. Seriously if you're gonna reject it because of such a pointless reason (it's a 4 track EP, is doing a track by track really that bad), at least get your rules page straight so I don't waste the time writing it.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:43 am 

Could you post the review here? You're right that it's not outright banned because there are cases (especially when there are very few tracks) where it can work, but it is highly discouraged. If it's done well enough I tend to let it slide from time to time but there may also be other revisions you'd need to make as well.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:06 pm 

It was for Skeletonwitch's new EP and each track had a 5 or 6 lines paragraphs review, that's a big no-no.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:40 pm 

maxscam wrote:
My review was rejected because: "No track by track review. This is clearly written in the rules."

Actually, no, it's not clearly written in the rules. It says it's discouraged, which is why I split my review into two parts: a general synopsis and a track-by-track. Seriously if you're gonna reject it because of such a pointless reason (it's a 4 track EP, is doing a track by track really that bad), at least get your rules page straight so I don't waste the time writing it.

It would depend on how it is laid out. If it is cut-and-dry with a paragraph devoted to each song, with little/nothing else content-wise, it will be rejected every time. I can't emphasise enough how strongly discouraged that reviewing style is. Completely amateur; hell look at the recent posts in the "Oven Fodder" thread to see why we are so stringent about it nowadays.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:46 pm 

stainedclass2112 wrote:
_

How can you get feedback on a deleted draft?

stainedclass2112
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:06 pm 

-

Last edited by stainedclass2112 on Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WinterFalcon
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:10 am 

Hi reviewers:

I´m new in Metal Archives, I submitted a review for Grand Bite - Al borde del precipicio. It was rejected. The reason is I didn´t follow the guidelines.

I really would like to contribute with Metal Archives, because I see there are bands I really like that don´t have any reviews.

I want to bother you, if you let me, make me know any especific issue with my review (see below).

“I´ve loved this record for many years now. Grand Bite is one of the most famous venezuelan metal acts, and IMHO, this is the best metal LP ever produced in that country.

"Al borde del precipio" (Close to the edge) is a very homogeneous record. At the time, Grand Bite were a power trio.

Judas Priest and NWOBHM influenced, this album stands out for the vocal performance by Luis Miguel (who is also the bass player) and Andres Guzman´s guitar work. Vocals are clean and remind me of Falconer´s singer Mathias Blad.

Production is great and highlights the band´s distinctive rhythm and tightness.

Songs are all about the same lenght not surpassing 4 minutes except for "Demonios en el cielo" (Demons in the sky) wich clocks almost 6 minutes.

Lyrics are about society as in "Cangrejo" (Crab), religion as in "Demonios en el cielo" (Demons in the sky), cold war (in the title track), girls as in "Te pierdo" (I´m losing you), corrupt political leaders as in "De cuello blanco" (White collar), and about being a metalhead as in "Larga vida al Rock and Roll" (Long live Rock and Roll).

Great riffs and vocal work. This album contains eight rockers, one excellent power ballad and one mellow ballad (not my favorite, I think the band was looking for one radio friendly song).

Enjoyable from beginnig to end. I think that if you keep liking a record after 30 years, it´s a damm good one!.”

I know everyone contributing for Metal Archives does it for the love of Metal. So if you help me, it wil be nice.

Best regards
WinterFalcon

meshigene
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:09 am 

Seems like a check list (and a crappy one at that) with some spelling mistakes and a very vague description of the music. Be more elaborate.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:36 pm 

WinterFalcon wrote:
It was rejected. The reason is I didn´t follow the guidelines.

So follow the guidelines.

ONCE THOSE ARE READ:
Formatting, typos, fragment sentences, and the general summary treatment of everything renders the piece nearly unreadable and wholly inadequate. If you treat your current review as an outline, that would be better than nothing, but this is a collection of single bullet points; it's not an actual review.

You'll get more substantial feedback once a future draft reflects the site guidelines.

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:14 pm 

I'd love some feedback on my review of the new Twilight Force: http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/T ... 202/193921

I've found recently that there are a few albums that I'm able to talk about at length really easily. I think this is my second longest review ever. Just curious to know if I'm rambling endlessly, or if this is actually a decent review. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:28 pm 

The review is well written enough for its length, and goes into very in depth analysis. However, you criticize so many aspects of the album that the score you gave it doesn't really feel like it's justified. It's almost as if you gave it such a score in an attempt to mask your disappointment regarding the release, which clearly comes through in your writing. I'm not calling you dishonest or anything, but it kinda feels like you want to bash the album, yet you're afraid to do so for some reason.

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:45 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
The review is well written enough for its length, and goes into very in depth analysis. However, you criticize so many aspects of the album that the score you gave it doesn't really feel like it's justified. It's almost as if you gave it such a score in an attempt to mask your disappointment regarding the release, which clearly comes through in your writing. I'm not calling you dishonest or anything, but it kinda feels like you want to bash the album, yet you're afraid to do so for some reason.

This honestly happens to me all the time. I've always found it easier to write about negatives rather than positives. This is especially true for albums that score highly because I like them so much that I listen to them endlessly, so it's easy to notice all the flaws. I did something similar in my Ghostlights review (though that one isn't as harsh).

This is why I'm always so conflicted with giving a score. I'm going to listen to this more than 95% of the things that come out this year. It is way, way worse than the debut, but it also still rules immensely. I did say everything negative about it that I wanted to, but it's hard to reconcile the score with the review itself.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:54 pm 

It might be an issue of distribution, really. If you had spent a single paragraph (or hell, just a few sentences) detailing your gripes with the album, no matter how minor or nitpicky they might be, and then went on praising it to high heaven for the rest of the review, then the writing would reflect the score a lot better.

Mind you, scores are just secondary in the end, with the body of the review being the real deal, and you writing is very solid. However, the divide between the two is big enough in this case that it ends up being more than a bit distracting.

IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:59 pm 

Damn...this thread is pretty brutal. Having said that, lots of constructive criticism going on here. Don't mind me folks, carry on.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:41 pm 

What do you expect when stuff like this happens?

kluseba wrote:

:thumbsdown:

The guitar soli are not really emotional or unique enough to convince and one expects something to come after all the soloing but the song simply ends at a certain point.

IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:58 am 

:lol: That's a first. Thanks for the chuckle!

Edit: Just don't go too hard on these poor bastards :wink:

Conniver
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:00 am 

Hey, first time being here in both the forums and in general for this website. Mind checking out my review for Annihilation by Kublai Khan? Been rejected a couple of times for technical and grammatical errors but I'm having difficulty spotting them out. Help in any other field is also welcomed. Here you go.

Back when Megadeth has been just a little short of being mega famous, and just before their debut album, Dave Mustaine kicked out Greg Handevidt due to "incompetence." After only a year with the band to fated to become one of the largest names in metal, Greg join in the wave of one-shot hotshot thrash/speed metal (If you prefer, NWOOSHSTSM), under the name that is most certainly fitting for metal, Kublai Khan. And the music heard in their only album, Annihilation blows Mustaine's asinine accusation of a lack of skill.

The first track, named Death Breath- yes, Death Breath -basically sums this album's technical and musical genius and vice. The production is a double-edged sword, which I'll go into a little more, but so far just sound foul to the ears. The drumming is played without much consideration, and is sometimes too loud to allow for the riffs and vocalist to dominate one's mind. But when it does, it does it, and does it without any regard towards the idea of idealism or variety. It's followed the simple but effective strategy, thrashing throughout the entirety of this album without any unnecessary need for a break in the pattern. The gang shouts are by far some of the best I ever heard in anything thrash. Hell, best gang shouts I heard in anything metal. It has a sharp viscous and vicious, with this callous nature morphing into more plodding power-stomping. This is evident in Mongrel Horde.

Mongrel Horde basically refines the ideas in Death Breath to show even more color in the way this album was created. The low production has already enveloped a charm of sorts, adding to the age and primal nature of this album, and it also bleeds into the instruments and vocals in a good way. The gang shouts in Mongrel Horde wouldn't have that blasting force if it were of a higher production, it woulda needed to go for a higher vocal range which would not be fitting for such a song. In fact, the lead vocalist takes care of that, a monstrous voice, that man. That slugger-and-swarmer switching overtaking the beginning of this song is simply beautifully made; That riff in the start is a great and foreboding way to cut straight to a speedfest. The low production keys in again to show its magic. After the second of the third verse, it returns to the warcry that wormed this song (Not "Fall to your knees, mind you). It's goes on all the same as before. However, the low production allowed for the chanting to transform into a gutair solo! That by itself is pretty badass, and it only gets better with the solo itself rocking and the Greg even adding more to the song by getting very more frantic, as though the mongrel horde is now circling in.

The only song I find trouble with is Down to the Inferno, a tribute to those mid-tempo chugging guitars and pounding drums tunes, like Seek and Destroy from Metallica and such. However, it doesn't have that doesn't have a impacting effect on memory, and thus, by the time it's over, most of the music has faded outta memory and the only thing I can recall after numberous times was Greg yelling as he's dragged into the inferno. Not bad, I image a remaster would do a miracle to this song, but it's simply mediocre at its current (and maybe permanent) state. After this, Liars' Dice hits the stage and provide the return to thrashing insanity, and the most note-worthy track in this album follows afterwards. Passing Away/Kublai Khan. One of the only songs that break the 4 minutes part for a hefty 7 minutes. And hefty this song is. It's a well-crafted mix of a power ballad and the speeding thrash from before. Acoustic breaks and constant thrash that envelop your ears. This album can be sold from this song alone, it simply clobber most tracks beforehand and with ease, which is already difficult to do. It's simply amazing.

The songs after the title track are also quite lovely, being the simple style of the songs before it. This entire album is dedicated to thrash in its core. If anyone can get past the poorer-than-most production, this entire album is much beyond worthy of a buy. Always wished for a reunion, one more powerful than that one demo in the early 2000's. Once again, this is most certainly worth the purchase. Till then, I'll just hold on to this classic thrash.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87 ... 108  Next