* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Emptiness Cycle
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 6:54 am 

Hi,

Diamhea has issued the following (which I understand) -

"Do not resubmit any reviews for the time being.

Post your draft(s) in the Review feedback thread in the forums, so we can help you fix the poor formatting on these. I've tried explaining it more than once but we aren't really getting anywhere here."

I accept this, but I am disappointed. Mainly because I have submitted numerous, and some have been accepted without any feedback. But also because despite Diamhea working with me, I can't seem to find the faults. I've made extensive changes.

Diamhea - I apologise for frustrating you. Let's give it a fresh pair of eyes.

Forum - here's my pending article. Please help me.

This is a three way split consisting of three bands from the Italian NSBM scene – the solo project “Pagan Warrior 88” whose Demo release got a pretty fair slating from me previously. He’s joined by arguably the most well known Italian NS act, Waffen SS, and the obscure and unbeknownst to me “Hate XXX”. (Terrible band name).

Waffen SS tracks -

The split is very wisely opened with the Waffen SS tracks, and the first piece is a sample of what sounds like a Star Wars movie – lasers, guns being fired, and explosions. If they were going for anything from World War II, they’ve got this terribly wrong. At least it lives up to its title.

The first proper track is “The Last Horde Fight”. Raw and filthy, just how I like it. Vocals are far too low in the mix, and the drums are literally inaudible. If there’s a bass, it didn’t get the memo and is still in the van. Average at best. I’m actually disappointed with the Waffen SS material. I like the solo stuff, but this is probably at the lower end of the discography.

Hate XXX tracks -

I think it’s fair to issue you all with a friendly warning : Turn down your speakers. The Hate XXX material is about 50 times louder, and I don’t appreciate the severe agony I am now in. The split wasn’t even mastered to be consistent in volume. I can’t even enjoy the music as it’s so inanely opposite to anything preceding it.

Pagan Warrior 88 tracks -

I now find myself relying heavily on Pagan Warrior 88; You read that correctly. It’s in between the two other bands in terms of volume, this is the only one that gets the balance just right. The material here is of a different calibre to that on “Demo MC”, and I’m not sure this is really the same artist. The vocals are definitely him, but the drums are a lot better, and the guitar work is almost hypnotic and trance like. A huge improvement.

Closing thoughts -

I can’t forgive the fact that it took until track 7 of 9 to even like this split. The Pagan Warrior 88 material is the best on here, by a long shot, and this is a sentence I thought I’d never type. Whoever was tasked with getting the production / levels on this bought up to par should be taken outside and shot, Block 11 style. There is no excuse for the aural rape that happened between tracks 3 and 4. .

Thanks.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:51 pm 

Emptiness Cycle, the formatting is the least of my concerns with this. That would be a fairly easy fix: Format the discrete sections into actual paragraphs, use complete sentences, don't bother with the headings ("closing thoughts" is unnecessary), and your rewrite would be done in a half hour. But virtually an entire rewrite is required here.

If you're going to be including only one paragraph for anything (let alone a band's entire contribution to a split), I would think that paragraph needs to basically be comprehensive. These separate sections each read like hurried summaries, like you can't think of much else/don't have anything to say about it. The Hate XXX portion includes essentially no musical description at all. "Inane" might sum it up nicely for you, but not for me.

I'm just going to stop there. Going point by point is useless when the entirety suffers from the same inadequacies. It reads like a collection of notes and scribbled thoughts or first impressions that you're leaving on someone's answering machine. This isn't a satisfactory review. It needs substance and context, neither of which will be improved with a simple reformatting.

Go back to the basics: Why are you reviewing this album? Either tell us what you have to say about it, or clinically describe it with some comparisons to other work.

It sounds like you basically thought it was for the most part crap. What's the point? If you have something specific to say about the type of bullshit it is, take the time to explain that. Also, if your other reviews were accepted, maybe you should refer to those and see what you did differently. Back to the drawing board with this one.

Emptiness Cycle
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:45 am 

Thanks, I agree with you. It's just annoying cos some of my reviews are shit hot - I find it a LOT easier to write a good than a bad.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:10 am 

What does that even mean? Are you forgetting how to English suddenly?
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:02 am 

I think he means it's easier to write a positive review than a negative one. Though I'm just as lost as you on shit hot.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Emptiness Cycle
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:30 am 

Allow me to elaborate now that I've had some coffee. Shit hot is an English colloquial term for "very good" or "excels at". I cannot explain my lack of consistency, even on the post prior to this one; causing me to explain myself.

I'll be right back. Going on a punctation and writing course. Again. At the age of 32. ;)

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:42 pm 

You can always post your amended draft(s) here first so we can check it. No worries.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:33 pm 

Emptiness Cycle wrote:
I'll be right back. Going on a punctation and writing course. Again. At the age of 32. ;)

Unless one is in some kind of intellectual coma, it's never too late to improve. There are some "hand you've been dealt" ceilings, of course, but generally speaking there's a significant gap between where someone is and their maximum aptitude. Training, practice, and imagination are hugely useful, so don't give up. As long as you're trying your best wherever you are, and putting in a satisfying amount of personal effort to improve (and this applies to anything at all, really), it's all good.

For detailed writing instructions I recommend Purdue OWL. They've made it their business to be as nerdy as humanly possible about grammar, formatting, and technique.

I think, though, that your focus should be squarely on the basics for now, so that you can nail down consistency. Make an outline, organize your thoughts, and then communicate them as clearly as you can given your skills.

klun222
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 5:05 am 

Hi,

I dont know how this works, few days ago I submitted a review and it was rejected.

Ok, Cool. I rewritted it and submitted again.

Then I found a mistake in my text, deleted my review, corrected this mistake and resubmitted it again.

Now after some days I got a message from Diamhea:
Please don't delete and resubmit reviews, as it clears the rejection message history on our end.

If the review's status is still pending, means that it wasnt rejected.
Am I right?

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:50 am 

Correct.

Most users who delete/resubmit reviews do so to get back on the top of the pile in the queue, or to clear the rejection message history in the hopes that another mod judges their submission.

klun222
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:44 am 

So, will my review be accepted/rejected anytime soon?

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:06 pm 

Sorry, I can't get to everything all at once, please be patient and follow the instructions in the rejection message.

Last.fm

klun222
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:13 am 

Hi!

Could anyone help me polish my grammar in the text below.

Quote:
Because this album is one of my favourite, I decided to review it.

Like a lot of other bands at that time, Coven 6669 started experimenting with style and used a different one. Somehow they did not spent much time writing their riffs, but instead they decided to enrich the album with more advanced and more intense drumming. Boneless Christian is their third and in terms of sound quality and mix, their best produced album.

Let's start with riffs. Album Boneless Christian may not have many original and memorable riffs, but that is its only weakness. Most riffs on this record are middle sometimes fast paced and most off them don't differ much one from another. When listening to this album, you will hear some of the best riffs in Boneless Christian, Organic God and All This Bleeding. Bass can be heard and is well polished. Solo bass sections aren't uncommon, best one is actually an intro of Christsycle-Reaming the Pope.

Things that make this album so interesting are vocals and lyrics. Jay Clark had again an amazing vocal performance. His vocal is powerfull, punk oriented and chaotic at the same time. Vocals in this record are more understandable and louder than in their first and second album.

The lyrics are what makes this album so interesting. Most of the lyrics are well written, funny, brutal and ironic. Their theme is anti-christianity and violence. The best examples of lyrics hide in a song named Boneless Christian. Here are some random lines:

<i> »Maybe I'm satanic, as satanic as hell
But don't it make your mouth water, that roasting Christian smell?«

»When I get hungry and I feel the need to eat
Nothing soothes my palette quite like boneless Christian meat« </i>

And then the epic ending of that song:

<i> »And as I fired up the barbecue
I made a suggestion
You bring the chips
And I'll bring the Christian!« </i>

Even through riffs aren't that great, Boneless Christian is still a very well made middle paced album. Because of the short to middle length of the songs, Jay Clark's punk oriented vocals and Jason's drumming style that is more comparable to death metal rather than thrash metal, the album is a mix of thrash metal, death metal and punk. Album works as the whole and provides you a good and unique thrashing experience.

Best songs on album: <b>Boneless Christian, Organic God, All This Bleeding</b>.
Worst one: The Master's Tool.

You win Diamhea!

Thanks!

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:52 pm 

You got far more problems than spelling. That review is egregiously bland and poorly thought out. I'll just give you some bullet points to work off of when you rewrite it.

-don't tell me why you decided to review the album, just review it.
-use an online spelling and grammar check. There's just too many mistakes for me to list them.
-poor formatting and lots of it, you really only have like two paragraphs at most there.
-lacking musical description. You have less than bare minimum going on in there and it's boring.
-it's boring.
-you did what I like to call check list reviews. Guitar - check, bass - check, vocals - check. Tell us why you like them or why you don't. Elaborate.
-don't give highlights tracks. It's lame.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

klun222
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:51 pm 

Where can i find a good grammar/ spell checker? Most of them doesnt show me any mistakes.
Its not boring, its honest.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:37 pm 

klun222 wrote:
Most of them doesnt show me any mistakes.

This is a perfect example of a grammar error. Actually two, since you're missing an apostrophe. Make sure your verbs match your subjects, make sure your plurals etc. are all sorted. You don't even need to look online for one, since Microsoft Word would catch all the major things for you. But it looks to me like English isn't your first language, so maybe have a fluent friend go over it with you.

Mr. Humanity said basically everything I had in mind. There's nothing wrong with the things you touch on in the review, there's just not enough around it. Flesh out basically every point here, and elaborate on the musical description.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:58 pm 

klun222 wrote:
Where can i find a good grammar/ spell checker? Most of them doesnt show me any mistakes.
Its not boring, its honest.

I'll go one step further than Mr. Wyrm and say that in just this quote I can see seven spelling/grammatical errors. And just because you wrote something honest doesn't mean it isn't boring. Aside from that it doesn't have to be super entertaining and gripping, but like we've told you saying one or two lines about everything just isn't enough.

Azmodes wrote:

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:36 pm 

Quite so.

What it lacks most is personal reflection. WHY is it one of your favorite albums? You basically start off with "The only thing wrong with this album is that it's unoriginal and forgettable, but instead of working on the riffs, they threw a lot of drums at it." I can't get behind that. You have to explain more about why you like it. Technically you do mention several things you like about it, but they're really spare notes, basically.

"Coven 6669 started experimenting with style and used a different one."
I don't know what this means.

Liquid_Braino
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:37 pm 

Also, for that Coven 6669 review, I don't mean to be a dick but it probably should be noted in that review that the reason some of these songs have a punkish delivery is because half of the songs are not sung by Jay Clark, but by Paul Hash. Paul has the gruff punk tone, providing the vocals for the oft mentioned "Boneless Christian" in your review as well as "Satanic as Hell" and a couple of others (tracks 2 & 7 to be exact). Jay's cleaner, more shriek-ish singing is most obvious on "Just Add Violence", and also sings tracks 4 and 6.

Granted, none of the reviews published here actually mention this (although I would like to think autothrall knew and just didn't bother to bring it up) for some reason.

klun222
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:22 am 

Well, I knew the vocals are different, but noone mentioned Paul Hash.

klun222
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:39 am 

Well, thanks guys, I will try to correct or rewrite it. Just remmember: I doesn't aren't not makings nope spll mistakes.

PETERG
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:02 pm 

I have this review that i wrote.
The person that rejected it said it had a poor grammar and typos.
http://www.metal-archives.com/review/write/id/177279

RYM

I got places I gotta be!

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:17 pm 

You have to actually copy and paste the review here. Other users can't view your review drafts...

Last.fm

WR95
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:30 pm 

How the mighty don't have fallen 100% (Review Seventh son of a Seventh son - Iron Maiden)

This is one of my favorite Maiden albums. An enjoyable album from start to finish. Iron Maiden have on this album a very high power metal and progressive rock influences. With its previous “Somewhere in time”, they had already shown a considerable evolution in the “Maiden sound”, with the (very excessive for many people) including keyboard and synthesizer arrangements, but “Seventh Son of a Seventh Son” was the final confirmation of this change of style: the keyboard melodies and exquisite arrangements of synth bass and guitars were mixed in a balanced and consistent with the strength of the usual Maiden, making 8 excellent pieces and clearly influenced by the progressive rock of the 70s. Just listening to the first track “Moonchild” we can get an idea of how different and special is this Lp. There is no fillers, included "Can I Play with Madness", the weakest track, even with all that it's quite overshadowed next to other masterpieces.

"Moonchild" starts with a kaleidoscope keyboards of those that make you go into a trance, the solo got an atmosphere that do you blow your brains out; and of course, the anthem par excellence "The evil that men do" is a revolution in the metal and one of the most memorables guitar solos. "Infinite Dreams" is one of the highlights of the album, at the first side, and not only that, this song leaves you with your mouth open with those 2000 rhythm changes, put it in some way. The tittle track is the most ambitious composition, and is special because it is helps you understand the other 7 songs. It has a very good intro that isn't ordinary, and makes it unique. Have 3 segments:
<strong>1. The first segment</strong> is Bruce on the vocals, repeat 8 times the name of the song "Seventh Son of a Seventh Soooon" and then cut with a little Murray solo and Bruce saying "ooooooh".
<strong>2. In the second segment</strong> calm and low intensity song with a slight accompaniment of Bass and cymbals, few moments later Bruce with a narrative voice tells the "Seventh Son" was born and has mystical powers and that it will.
<strong>3. The third segment</strong> is instrumental, it rises in intensity slowly, until reach the solos, progressive touches again appear, this time in the sound. It's my favorite of the album very good, I recommend. It is also the longest song.

"The Prophecy" is an extension (speaking of the lyrics) of the previous song, because here also explain who is this "seventh son." This one begins very quiet, with very good arpeggios, until 45 seconds (approx) rises slightly potency. Moments later Bruce starts singing, with a sound that seems medieval (ditty that made the minstrels, but with electric guitars). After talking about the curse and prophecy, begins one solo (I must say that this song is narrated in 1st person, ie Dickinson is the seventh son), subsequently, song low its rhythm, it becomes quiet (as it began) and is slowly shutting down. The legendary moment is the accoustic outro. Very good track, it hurts that was forgotten and never played live.
"The Clairvoyant" and "Only the good die young" are songs that remain in the vanguard as direct songs, especially the last track, start with much more energy than the others. It is an ideal form to close and it has a good heavy sound.

What I think of the album?
It not for nothing is one of the best albums of Maiden in the history of their career. It is a disc that can not miss in your collection and as I say, is one of the easiest to get. Everyone enjoy with Painkiller, a solid american power metal release, and Seventh Son of a Seventh Son is a solid european power metal. Both metal titans did power metal in their finest moment. Yes, eventhough many metalheads say "The Number of the beast" and that album contains great hymns, all songs from this Seventh Son make a perfect symphony.

However, not all reviews were good. Many of his classic fans hates this record <i>(like the reviewers Kluseba and HamburgerBoy, especially HamburgerBoy, if you see him profile, you will see that the only review that he has done, is this maiden album, apparently he created that account only for peeing in the Maiden work)</i> because it was a 180º change in the group's sound, and because of that the Lp has over the years gained a stupid bad reputation which ensures that it is the worst Maiden record. Nothing is further from reality: “Seventh son of a seventh son” is an absolute truly classic of Maiden’s discography, varied and special as the most, and if you’re not a closed mind undoubtedly you’ll enjoy its infinite quality. In the same way, for many, after this album began the peculiar decline with the Smith’s flight after the end tour, and Dickinson goodbye few years later, as well as the publication of mediocre or misunderstood works that the band couldn't recover until the current and successful meeting.

WR95
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:34 pm 

Best thrash album 100% (Review Megadeth - Peace Sells... but Who's Buying?)

"Peace Sells ... But Who's Buying?" is an album that deserves to be remembered because it is such that certain questions never was valued at its fair measure. Perhaps because the beginnings of Megadeth were a bit turbulent, with continuous lineup changes, or because his masterpieces "Rust In Peace" and "Countdown To Extiction", both with the most stable and competent training in the group's history, they eventually overshadow the rest of the legacy. Even today, when Megadeth still getting good and authentic thrash metal releases (Leave aside the most commercial time Crypting Writings - Risk) these two albums are still used as eternal comparisons to disparage the rest of the discography. This seems to me a grievance because Megadeth, regardless of its three most popular albums (must be added "Youthanasia") are a whole band to rediscover.

The dictator, drunk and quarrelsome Dave Mustaine, allied himself at that time, in which he still takes the sting, for the kick in the ass that had given Metallica, with a certain Chris Poland (which had its comings and goings) forming a pair of enviable guitars for the times. In bass, the incombustible David Ellefson, which along with Mustaine is one of the largest participants in the so recognizable style of Megadeth. In the drums, Gar Samuelson, showing that Dave Mustaine has always had a good eye to choose drummers, while recognizing that the rear entrance of Nick Menza made us to forget the first one. Megadeth, like Metallica, Anthrax and Testament dissociated themselves from the more extreme metal and they passed to the division where songs are composed with hook and strength, with what they achieved greater popularity and better record sales without losing the scepter of great thrash. For other latitudes they were Exodus, Overkill or Slayer, more attached to the ferocity which was also standard in European bands like Sodom or Kreator. The result was uneven depending on who it were and while Slayer did manage, studied through marketing campaigns and pure provocation, they reached a level of sales that joined the group of the Big Four, the rest had to settle for being masters of a more underground scene type.

"Wake Up Dead" opens the album masterfully with some Megadeth inspired by the compositional section. Rhythm changes, developments of some complexity, a hook which runs from the peculiar voice of Mustaine, speed guitar solos and an omnipresent bass through socially committed themes it could be called as politically incorrect. Craziest and thrash is "The Conjuring" a great song which has had little trascendence. David Ellefson is superb in the bass lines showing that's one of the pillars that sustain the Megadeth's sound. The title track is undoubtedly one of the biggest hits of Megadeth. Becomes the most refined technique, an insurmountable riff, a Mr. Mustaine's speech worthy of study and a sound that dazzles us to Megadeth who created authentic hymns in "Countdown To Extiction". The chorus and compass of initial bass are classics of the genre. The first half of the album, which is really spectacular, complete with "Devil's Island", one of my favorites.

The second half of the disc suffers from the intensity of the first. While the first four songs contains these devastating riffs and identifying style, mid forward the thing quite fades without losing, yes, the good compositional skills. "Good Morning / Black Friday" starts with parts somewhat confusing that make us lose attention until it reaches a second recovering the verve from first tracks. Good job Chris Poland on this song. The boy goes unnoticed in the most part of this album for abuse Mustaine's dominance in many solos scattered here and there. Another of the accelerated, "Bad Omen" makes out our smile again and craving for thrash metal, however "I Ain't Superstitious" us down to earth as Megadeth get into a more rock vein. This cover of Willie Dixon is most surprising from album. The album ends with "My Last Words" which like "Good Mourning / Black Friday" is lost somewhat due its complexity and rhythm changes that are made without much finesse like the first or the tittle track. Well and everything is another great song that exudes a scent of Iron Maiden, especially in that bass rhythm overriding and the approach to tessituras heavy classics.

After "Peace Sells ... But Who's Buying?", they recorded another covered as "So Far, So Good...So What!", another good album that only barely remember the classic "In My Darkest Hour". Then comes the trilogy "Rust In Peace - Countdown To Extiction - Youthanasia", the most glorious era of Megadeth and galactic line up (Mustaine/Friedman/Ellefson/Menza) that deletes from map their first three albums. But yes, we're here to bring it to light and invite you enjoy it.

WR95
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:31 am 

Those are my reviews, what's the failures??? Megadeth's Peace Sells (93%) and Maiden's Seventh Son (90%) don't need more reviews because will raise the average percentage, reaching Metallica's Ride The Lightning (95%) and Priest's Stained Class (97%)???? Definitely, you're Judas Priest fanboys, and you Diamhea, what's happen with you mate, buy new eyes, and please stop to censor me deleting my others post as you do in other threads..

PETERG
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:32 am 

Diamhea wrote:
You have to actually copy and paste the review here. Other users can't view your review drafts...

Oops,my bad i am just getting into the whole Metal Archives stuff.

Here is the review.Although i used a grammar checker the admin said that i should post it here first.

Every time I listen to the news of an upcoming album from my homeland and especially from the genre of black metal, in which Greece has high standards, (ex.Rotting Christ, Agatus, Zemial, Naer Mataron etc.) I get really excited. And of course, when I heard that they were releasing a new record, I was celebrating... but only for a little. So I pretty much went on my own through the struggle of judging Rotting Christ for the first time not as a fan, not as a person who has seen them live 12 times, but as a normal metal head. Let me make myself clear: the only thing I wondered when I listened to "ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ" was how they were going to make something better than this. And to my sole experience with this new album they did not.

For starters the direction that the band has taken after "AEALO" gives the first impression of a less folk-oriented and more flat and straight sound, with the addition, however of some traditional vocals and the clear, emphasizing on the classic Rotting Christ riffs and song structure. This gave them the opportunity to relax and make their songs more focused on the plain side of black metal. And this is what this album is: plain minimal straight into your face -and sometimes flat black metal. Whether it will be the demolishing 3 minutes of blast beats on "Έλθε κύριε", the simple but outstanding "In Nomine De Nostri" or the mid tempo melodic songs like "Ze Nigmar" the result is outstanding; combine it with the enormous voice of Sakis who does what he knows better which is butchering every language his mouth touches-trademark of their sound- while at the same moment he embraces a more Maniac-style of voice. Last, but not least, what really surprised me is the ability of those guys to write guitar solos for another album in a row and when I say solos I do not mean the classic black metal solos, which pretty much sound as a badly tuned guitar, I am talking about solos with tapping and arpeggios. Bringing technicality to a naturally minimal genre is of course innovative and gives the listener not only a time to relax and appreciate the great musicianship that it's put here but also to make the songs both minimal and catchy at the same time.

Now you will say "what is wrong then with this album?". Time to answer, then: Nothing is wrong as a whole idea or musical composition. The only thing that really annoyed me when I heard the record was that at some point I felt the songs were somehow using the same formula. And this is the problem. I listened the whole album and then I listened through the day all of the songs separated and I didn't get the same great feeling that I got in the first case. This surprisingly is not due to the concept of the album, but in the fact that some songs just cannot stand on their own like "For a voice like thunder" or "Korn Om Pax". Thus making some songs really flat and sometimes even boring. There seems to be a development of their sound which on the first part simplifies things in a good way, but makes the songs repetitive after a while. On the other hand, I just cannot hold the candle to the whole lyrical theme of the album. Not only that the lyrics seem dull and convenient, but the idea of summoning Satan with 9 songs seems pretty unoriginal and gave me the impression that they didn't think to give this, already obsolete and old fashioned theme, a more philosophical or sophisticated approach. Moreover, this made even more prejudiced to the cover art. Where are the covers of demons and post-apocalyptic landscapes that we all love in RT albums? Why do I have to look for a black and white face along with the very generic Gothic letter pattern every time I pick this CD?

Overall, I think it is a good record and a nice expansion to the Rotting Christ discography. Don't get too excited though, it gets less and less interesting after a while.

RYM

I got places I gotta be!

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:28 pm 

WR95 wrote:
How the mighty don't have fallen 100% (Review Seventh son of a Seventh son - Iron Maiden)

This is one of my favorite Maiden albums. An enjoyable album from start to finish. Iron Maiden have on this album a very high power metal and progressive rock influences. With its previous “Somewhere in time”, they had already shown a considerable evolution in the “Maiden sound”, with the (very excessive for many people) including keyboard and synthesizer arrangements, but “Seventh Son of a Seventh Son” was the final confirmation of this change of style: the keyboard melodies and exquisite arrangements of synth bass and guitars were mixed in a balanced and consistent with the strength of the usual Maiden, making 8 excellent pieces and clearly influenced by the progressive rock of the 70s. Just listening to the first track “Moonchild” we can get an idea of how different and special is this Lp. There is no fillers, included "Can I Play with Madness", the weakest track, even with all that it's quite overshadowed next to other masterpieces.

Ok; your English is not good, are you running a translator or just using knowledge of the language? It reads like a translator to me. I'm not even going to list one by one the flaws because my list would be fucking epic and probably break the internet by the time I finish the whole review. Suffice to say it reads like broken English and I really can't describe beyond that cause it's far too time consuming. Also you have capitalization and punctuation errors as well.

Quote:
"Moonchild" starts with a kaleidoscope keyboards of those that make you go into a trance, the solo got an atmosphere that do you blow your brains out; and of course, the anthem par excellence "The evil that men do" is a revolution in the metal and one of the most memorables guitar solos. "Infinite Dreams" is one of the highlights of the album, at the first side, and not only that, this song leaves you with your mouth open with those 2000 rhythm changes, put it in some way. The tittle track is the most ambitious composition, and is special because it is helps you understand the other 7 songs. It has a very good intro that isn't ordinary, and makes it unique. Have 3 segments:
<strong>1. The first segment</strong> is Bruce on the vocals, repeat 8 times the name of the song "Seventh Son of a Seventh Soooon" and then cut with a little Murray solo and Bruce saying "ooooooh".
<strong>2. In the second segment</strong> calm and low intensity song with a slight accompaniment of Bass and cymbals, few moments later Bruce with a narrative voice tells the "Seventh Son" was born and has mystical powers and that it will.
<strong>3. The third segment</strong> is instrumental, it rises in intensity slowly, until reach the solos, progressive touches again appear, this time in the sound. It's my favorite of the album very good, I recommend. It is also the longest song.

Again with broken English, spelling and grammar issues. But what in blazes is up with the <strong> thing? I honestly have no idea what you're trying to convey here but it definitely is not coming through, like at all. It looks like a mess and is confusing as hell.

Quote:
"The Prophecy" is an extension (speaking of the lyrics) of the previous song, because here also explain who is this "seventh son." This one begins very quiet, with very good arpeggios, until 45 seconds (approx) rises slightly potency. Moments later Bruce starts singing, with a sound that seems medieval (ditty that made the minstrels, but with electric guitars). After talking about the curse and prophecy, begins one solo (I must say that this song is narrated in 1st person, ie Dickinson is the seventh son), subsequently, song low its rhythm, it becomes quiet (as it began) and is slowly shutting down. The legendary moment is the accoustic outro. Very good track, it hurts that was forgotten and never played live.
"The Clairvoyant" and "Only the good die young" are songs that remain in the vanguard as direct songs, especially the last track, start with much more energy than the others. It is an ideal form to close and it has a good heavy sound.

It not for nothing is one of the best albums of Maiden in the history of their career. It is a disc that can not miss in your collection and as I say, is one of the easiest to get. Everyone enjoy with Painkiller, a solid american power metal release, and Seventh Son of a Seventh Son is a solid european power metal. Both metal titans did power metal in their finest moment. Yes, eventhough many metalheads say "The Number of the beast" and that album contains great hymns, all songs from this Seventh Son make a perfect symphony.

However, not all reviews were good. Many of his classic fans hates this record <i>(like the reviewers Kluseba and HamburgerBoy, especially HamburgerBoy, if you see him profile, you will see that the only review that he has done, is this maiden album, apparently he created that account only for peeing in the Maiden work)</i> because it was a 180º change in the group's sound, and because of that the Lp has over the years gained a stupid bad reputation which ensures that it is the worst Maiden record. Nothing is further from reality: “Seventh son of a seventh son” is an absolute truly classic of Maiden’s discography, varied and special as the most, and if you’re not a closed mind undoubtedly you’ll enjoy its infinite quality. In the same way, for many, after this album began the peculiar decline with the Smith’s flight after the end tour, and Dickinson goodbye few years later, as well as the publication of mediocre or misunderstood works that the band couldn't recover until the current and successful meeting.

Another few things here:
1) DO NOT BITCH ABOUT OTHER REVIEWS OF THE ALBUM IN YOUR REVIEW. PERIOD.
2) Do not verbatim the songs. Seriously we do not need to know a second by second breakdown of individual songs, you want to talk about a specific part or two? Groovy, do it, don't go through the whole damn thing.

That's all I can handle for this review.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for your Megadeth review; many of the same problems (i.e. spelling, grammar, bad English etc. etc.) but here we also have the issue that there is hardly any actual review involved in said review. You spend far too much time talking about the band and history and other releases. When it comes down to it you barely have two paragraphs in the whole thing about the album. You need far more than that.

Azmodes wrote:

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:46 pm 

PETERG wrote:
Diamhea wrote:

Oops,my bad i am just getting into the whole Metal Archives stuff.

Here is the review.Although i used a grammar checker the admin said that i should post it here first.

Spoiler: show
Every time I listen to the news of an upcoming album from my homeland and especially from the genre of black metal, in which Greece has high standards, (ex.Rotting Christ, Agatus, Zemial, Naer Mataron etc.) I get really excited. And of course, when I heard that they were releasing a new record, I was celebrating... but only for a little. So I pretty much went on my own through the struggle of judging Rotting Christ for the first time not as a fan, not as a person who has seen them live 12 times, but as a normal metal head. Let me make myself clear: the only thing I wondered when I listened to "ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ" was how they were going to make something better than this. And to my sole experience with this new album they did not.

For starters the direction that the band has taken after "AEALO" gives the first impression of a less folk-oriented and more flat and straight sound, with the addition, however of some traditional vocals and the clear, emphasizing on the classic Rotting Christ riffs and song structure. This gave them the opportunity to relax and make their songs more focused on the plain side of black metal. And this is what this album is: plain minimal straight into your face -and sometimes flat black metal. Whether it will be the demolishing 3 minutes of blast beats on "Έλθε κύριε", the simple but outstanding "In Nomine De Nostri" or the mid tempo melodic songs like "Ze Nigmar" the result is outstanding; combine it with the enormous voice of Sakis who does what he knows better which is butchering every language his mouth touches-trademark of their sound- while at the same moment he embraces a more Maniac-style of voice. Last, but not least, what really surprised me is the ability of those guys to write guitar solos for another album in a row and when I say solos I do not mean the classic black metal solos, which pretty much sound as a badly tuned guitar, I am talking about solos with tapping and arpeggios. Bringing technicality to a naturally minimal genre is of course innovative and gives the listener not only a time to relax and appreciate the great musicianship that it's put here but also to make the songs both minimal and catchy at the same time.

Now you will say "what is wrong then with this album?". Time to answer, then: Nothing is wrong as a whole idea or musical composition. The only thing that really annoyed me when I heard the record was that at some point I felt the songs were somehow using the same formula. And this is the problem. I listened the whole album and then I listened through the day all of the songs separated and I didn't get the same great feeling that I got in the first case. This surprisingly is not due to the concept of the album, but in the fact that some songs just cannot stand on their own like "For a voice like thunder" or "Korn Om Pax". Thus making some songs really flat and sometimes even boring. There seems to be a development of their sound which on the first part simplifies things in a good way, but makes the songs repetitive after a while. On the other hand, I just cannot hold the candle to the whole lyrical theme of the album. Not only that the lyrics seem dull and convenient, but the idea of summoning Satan with 9 songs seems pretty unoriginal and gave me the impression that they didn't think to give this, already obsolete and old fashioned theme, a more philosophical or sophisticated approach. Moreover, this made even more prejudiced to the cover art. Where are the covers of demons and post-apocalyptic landscapes that we all love in RT albums? Why do I have to look for a black and white face along with the very generic Gothic letter pattern every time I pick this CD?

Overall, I think it is a good record and a nice expansion to the Rotting Christ discography. Don't get too excited though, it gets less and less interesting after a while.

I don't know about this one, I didn't notice a lot of typos and grammar mistakes.... is this the original? Can't see the one you linked before so I don't know if this is drastically different. Input from (I'm assuming diamhea) the mod would be helpful cause as I see it the only thing I would say is that it could use a bit more beef to it. As it stands it might be acceptable (again need mod input) but if you added a bit more description, probably one more paragraph, I'd say you're all good, least in my book.

Azmodes wrote:

WR95
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 3:04 pm 

Erosion of Humanity wrote:
WR95 wrote:

Ok; your English is not good, are you running a translator or just using knowledge of the language? It reads like a translator to me. I'm not even going to list one by one the flaws because my list would be fucking epic and probably break the internet by the time I finish the whole review. Suffice to say it reads like broken English and I really can't describe beyond that cause it's far too time consuming. Also you have capitalization and punctuation errors as well.

Quote:

Again with broken English, spelling and grammar issues. But what in blazes is up with the <strong> thing? I honestly have no idea what you're trying to convey here but it definitely is not coming through, like at all. It looks like a mess and is confusing as hell.

Quote:

Another few things here:
1) DO NOT BITCH ABOUT OTHER REVIEWS OF THE ALBUM IN YOUR REVIEW. PERIOD.
2) Do not verbatim the songs. Seriously we do not need to know a second by second breakdown of individual songs, you want to talk about a specific part or two? Groovy, do it, don't go through the whole damn thing.

That's all I can handle for this review.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for your Megadeth review; many of the same problems (i.e. spelling, grammar, bad English etc. etc.) but here we also have the issue that there is hardly any actual review involved in said review. You spend far too much time talking about the band and history and other releases. When it comes down to it you barely have two paragraphs in the whole thing about the album. You need far more than that.

1) I'm japanese, and my english is not good at all, can you help me editing my review
2) Dont write with capital letters, on internet means shout
3) <strong> is a code for cursive letter, I'm forgot to delete before to public my review here.
4) On this review http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/M ... y25/336961 following your logic, "Drummerboy" bitch about the users who's gave 0% or 5% on Metallica's album, and the moderators delete a previous review from an user called "The album that destroyed me" (0%), until then had 2 reviews with 0%, and now only have one by Ultraboris, but I'm not remember who's the other username who got 0% and him review is deleted.

Last edited by WR95 on Sat Mar 19, 2016 3:38 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 3:12 pm 

He doesn't call anyone out by name, nor does he act like a butthurt child.

Honestly, your grasp of the language is far from acceptable. Feeding reviews through a translator doesn't cut it on its own; you still need to clean up the text afterward because a lot of the syntax gets screwed up and it is incomprehensible to English speakers.

It isn't our job to rewrite your reviews for you. We can only hold your hand so much.

Last.fm

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 3:48 pm 

Yeah dude even just in your response here.... your syntax is just awful and it's not something I can help you with. Like I said it would brake the internet. And I'm not about to retype your review with the proper language and structure.

Azmodes wrote:

klun222
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:31 am 

Hi

I am stuck, but I know my problem, its punctation. I would like someone to give a feedback about everything I wrote + some examples of where my punctation is wrong.

Quote:
Album Time To Survive features twelve tracks made by a german band called Charley's War. Band features a basic lineup; five instruments played by five people. The singer on this album is Mike War, their drummer is David Strempel, guitars are played by Kai Hasse (bass), Andy Plötzer and Jens Teuscher.

Time To Survive is a great produced album where every instrument can be heard equally loud. Guitars have a nice, comfortable sound with calming approach. Drumming is enjoyable, somewhere intense, but mostly simple. I like the way David emphasized parts of certain songs with intense double bass but didn't spam it through everything. The best example of this can be found at the ending of a song named Your Path. Riffs on this album are a blend of thrash metal and punk; simple and typical for a crossover genre. Some riffs are worth to mention, for example, the one found in the chorus of a song called Wise-Up. This riff is most joyful of all the riffs on this album; for me it works as a relief of the song's theme, which is describing a harsh reality. About half of songs on the album also feature a guitar solo. Guitar solos don't feel forced, in fact, I was surprised at how excellent they fit in. I wish the bass was better, it's riffs should really stand out and feature more technicality. Mike's vocal reflects punk and its attitude. His vocal performance could have been a bit more aggressive, but that's only a minor weakness. In my opinion, his best vocal performance is when a song Promises hits the chorus; where Mike sings with an insane amount of energy. When I first heard the chorus of that song it made a huge impact on me and that made me remember Time To Survive as a good album. However, an album also has a weak spot and those are lyrics. Some of them work and some of them don't. The problem is in their lyrical themes and complexity. Lyrics are too simple; all they are about is society, politics and life. After you have listened trough half of the album, it gets a bit repetitive.

Time To Survive isn't the usual crossover album; it is made out of two kinds of songs, the ones that left a huge impact on me and those for which I think were made to fill up the album. Overall the album lacks some diversity and perhaps a bit intensity. If you are able to ignore some tracks on the album; it turns out to be perfect. Non-fans of a crossover genre probably won't dig it.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 3:11 pm 

Hi, klun222. Well, punctuation to start with anyhow. First, remove all those semicolons. They aren't for what you're using them for. Just replace them with periods. I'm not into listed lineup information appearing in reviews, since that's in the profile. I guess there's nothing technically wrong with it, but it's redundant. Then get the formatting in order, starting with italics for album titles and quotations for song titles, and making a new paragraph when you change ideas, complete with topic sentence. This is basic composition technique.

The main problem here is your English. It shouldn't take too long to get it organized if you take it to any average school English tutor. It's more than anyone here will have the time to do. Once that's taken care of, the musical description could use some embellishment. You tend to say about one sentence of content about each point, which isn't really enough when what you're saying is generally fairly superficial. If the English were cleaned up, it might barely clear the minimum bar (hard to say, since it's a little difficult to read as is), but it doesn't yet meet my own standards.

What's your first language?

klun222
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:38 am 

Quote:
What's your first language?

Slovenian.

klun222
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:50 am 

My review version 1.1

Quote:
Album Time To Survive features twelve tracks made by a german band called Charley's War. Band features a basic line-up: five instruments played by five people. The singer on this album is Mike War, their drummer is David Strempel, guitars were played by Kai Hasse (bass), Andy Plötzer and Jens Teuscher.

Time To Survive is a great produced album where every instrument is heard equally loud. Guitars have a nice, comfortable sound with calming approach. Drumming is enjoyable, somewhere intense, but mostly simple. I like the way David emphasized parts of certain songs with intense double bass, but didn't spam it through everything. The best example of this is found at the end of a song named Your Path. Riffs on this album are a blend of thrash metal and punk, simple and typical for a crossover genre. Some riffs are worth to mention, such as, the one found in the chorus of a song called Wise-Up. This riff is most joyful of all the riffs on this album, for me it works as a relief of the song's theme, which is describing a harsh reality. About half of songs on the album also feature a guitar solo. Guitar solos don't feel forced, in fact, I was surprised at how excellent they fit in. I wish the bass was better, its riffs should really stand out and feature more technicality. Mike's vocal reflects punk and its attitude. His vocal performance could have been a bit more aggressive, but that's only a minor weakness. In my opinion, his best vocal performance is when a song Promises hits the chorus, where Mike starts to sing with an insane amount of energy. When I first heard the chorus of that song it made a huge impact on me and that made me remember Time To Survive as a good album. However, an album also has a weak spot and those are lyrics. Some of them work and some of them don't. The problem is in their lyrical themes and complexity. Lyrics are too simple, all they are about is society, politics and life. After you have listened through half of the album, it gets a bit repetitive.

Time To Survive isn't the usual crossover album, it is made out of two kinds of songs, the ones that left a huge impact on me and those for which I think were made to fill up the album. Overall the album lacks some diversity and perhaps a bit intensity. If you can ignore some tracks on the album, it turns out as perfect. Non-fans of a crossover genre probably won't dig it.

I have corrected some of mistakes, free online grammar checkers show no mistakes.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:01 pm 

It is better, but the online grammar checkers are WROOOONG. For instance:
"I wish the bass was better, its riffs should really stand out and feature more technicality." Same with "Lyrics are too simple, all they are about is ..." The intervening comma makes these into run-on sentences. Change it to a period to make two sentences.

English uses a lot of definite articles, such as the, which have to accompany nouns. Some languages don't bother with these articles, so direct translations won't include them. For instance:
- "Album Time To Survive" should be "The album Time to Survive."
- From later on in the review, "an album" means something more general than "the-" or "this album," which is specific.
- "Lyrics are too simple" means that lyrics in general are too simple. It should read "The/These lyrics are too simple" so we know that you're talking specifically about this one album.

Those and any like them have to be corrected. Grammar checkers often miss this sort of error because they aren't as contextually sensitive as they should be.

Break that central paragraph into multiple paragraphs with connecting sentences. There are too many different subjects for a single paragraph. I'll have to leave it up to a mod to comment on content. There's not enough there for my taste.

klun222
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:17 pm 

Hi

I updated the review to a version 1.2.1.1

Quote:
The album Time To Survive features twelve tracks made by a german band called a Charley's War. The band features a basic line-up: five instruments played by five people. A singer on this album is Mike War, a drummer is David Strempel, guitars were played by Kai Hasse (bass), Andy Plötzer and Jens Teuscher.

Time To Survive is a great produced album where every instrument is heard equally loud in the mix. The guitars have a nice, comfortable sound with calming approach. The drumming is enjoyable, somewhere intense, but mostly simple. I like the way David emphasized parts of the certain songs with intense double bass, but he didn't spam it through everything. The best example of this is found at the end of a song named Your Path.

Riffs on this album are a blend of thrash metal and punk. They are simple and typical for a crossover genre. Some of the riffs are worth to mention. Such as the one found in the chorus of a song called Wise-Up. This riff is most joyful of all the riffs on this album. The riff works as a relief of the song's theme and works as the opposite of what the rest of the song is describing. About half of songs on the album also feature a guitar solo. The guitar solos don't feel forced at all. It was a pleasant surprise of how excellent they fit in. I wish the bassist had done a better job. His riffs should really stand out and feature more technicality.

Mike's vocal reflects punk and its attitude. His vocal performance on this album could have been a bit more aggressive. In my opinion, his best vocal performance is when a song Promises hits the chorus. There is where Mike starts to sing with an insane amount of energy. When I first heard the chorus of that song it made a huge impact on me and that made me remember the Time To Survive as a good album. The album also has a weak spot and those are the lyrics. Some of them work and some of them don't. The problem is in their lyrical themes and complexity. The lyrics are too simple. All they are about is society, politics and life. After you have listened through half of the album, it gets a bit repetitive.

The Time To Survive isn't the usual crossover album. It is made out of two kinds of songs. Those are the ones that left a huge impact on me and those for which I think were made to fill up the album. Overall the album lacks some diversity and perhaps a bit intensity. By ignoring some of the tracks you can find the Time To Survive entertaining as fuck. Non-fans of a crossover genre probably won't dig it.

I would appreciate if someone would look it up again.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:03 pm 

That's significantly better. Well done taking the notes. You could embellish on some of the musical description so that it's a more informative and interesting read, but the basics come across. It could go beyond basic descriptions and an itemized checklist, but this is a lot better than it was. I dunno, I'd think it meets the minimum criteria, but that's for a mod to say.

klun222
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:15 pm 

Can somebody tell me how can I answer a message from admin (Diamhea).

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78 ... 108  Next