Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
TheStormIRide
Certified Poser

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:45 pm 

klun222 wrote:
Can somebody tell me how can I answer a message from admin (Diamhea).

You can't respond to admin messages on the main site, but you can PM him, here on the forums.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:22 am 

I already sent you a site message asking you not to delete reviews before resubmitting due to rejection/revising/whatever, since it clears the edit history. I spend some time proofreading your final draft and cleaning some of the text up, then you delete it and resubmit it with what appears to be no changes, but either way I had to check it again and it still deletes the history.

I've accepted it again, but please don't do this.

klun222
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:39 am 

Diamhea I am sorry I made you do your work twice. Grave_Wyrm thanks for your help.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:36 pm 

Here to help, bud.

~Guest 366996
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:57 am 

Diamhea advised me to post my rejected review here, where there are mistakes in the text. I'm having trouble with this one. Can anyone have a look and see where I've gone wrong. I'm happy to discuss the review if anyone disagrees. It's Megadeth's most overrated album. I gave my copy to Oxfam.

"I have just invested in a copy of the new Megadeth album "Dystopia" and immediately realized that (in my opinion) it's the best album since "Countdown to Extinction." I also came to the conclusion that Dystopia is the natural follow up to the album "Endgame" which prompted me to make this review. Note; I'm calling Endgame the "follow up" because I have all but erased the albums ("Thirteen" and "Super Collider") between the aforementioned from my memory.
Let's just get this out of the way immediately; this isn't the band completely returning to its thrash roots and is therefore not a "Peace Sells" or "Rust in Peace" II. This is what the hardcore thrash metal fans want so because it isn't an all-out back to their roots album lead protagonist Mustaine is vilified by a small contingent.
Mustaine did state however as he always does that this album wouldn't be a Rust in Peace II, so he couldn't be accused of being disingenuous, and the addition of another album to the discography did make ‘99s “Risk,” which was a stylistic mistake, a more distant memory.
Endgame was a backward step after the very accomplished last couple of albums which included "The System Has Failed" and "United Abominations." Some critics and fans alike did exclaim that this album is a new "classic," a "new era for Megadeth" and an "outstanding return to their roots," but in my opinion it's an album of "deception."

The one thing that Endgame has achieved is a good track arrangement, and what I mean is that the best tracks are positioned in such a manner that it makes the album appear much better than it actually is. The best tracks on the album are strategically added to the beginning, middle and in the final third giving the initial impression that it's very good from start to end.
The beginning of the album starts with an instrumental called "Dialectic Chaos" which is followed by a lightning fast thrash metal track called "This Day We Fight." This initial two track salvo certainly reminds me of "Into the Lungs of Hell" and "Set the World Afire" from the "So Far, So Good, So What?" album, but without really emulating either of the aforementioned tracks.

The instrumental sounds less like a classic opener and more like an interlude which belongs in the middle of an album. It doesn't have the ferocity which Into the Lungs of Hell gave us, but on the other hand This Day We Fight has everything you want to hear from Megadeth; it's fast, aggressive and shreds like no-bodies business.
Unfortunately this reasonably decent introduction to the album is followed up by too many middling tracks i.e. it's easy to assume that "44 Minutes," a song about an L.A. shot out between the Police and bank robbers, was created for radio air play. It's one of those dull mid-paced melodic tracks which has often dogged Megadeth since their "Youthanasia" days.
There's absolutely nothing interesting in the riffing patterns on this track, neither is there any ferocity which is often associated with classic Megadeth. The production of this song and on the entire album has created an excellent tone with a nice thick sound. The guitars do sound very good but regardless of positive aspect the sound quality is no substitute for better riffing patterns and imaginitive song structures. Now this wouldn't be such an issue if it was just a one-off but this trend continues throughout most of the album.
Another example would be when we encounter another track called "1320" which is about drag racing and is somewhat reminiscent of another vehicle themed song called "502," again from the album So Far, So Good, So what? The entire layout of 1320 is generic, the riffs are not aggressive, and the other major difference here between the aforementioned song is that that 1320 has neither the passion nor the ferocity of that song or the album for that matter.
But don't be too alarmed because Mustaine strategically slots the title track "Endgame" into the middle of the album with its decent thrashy moments, great shredding and interesting song structure. After this Mustaine attempts this ballad called "The Hardest Part of Letting Go... Sealed with a Kiss" and the less said about this the better.
The entire last third of the album is much stronger after a lot of mediocrity between the opening two tracks and Endgame. The track "Headcrusher" has a great tempo which will make you want to air guitar, rattle your head, and it can quickly make you forget about 44 minutes and 1320. Then you can head bang your way through the last track "The Right to Go Insane" which has some excellent dual guitar action in its finale, so much so that you might be forgiven for thinking that this album is an absolute classic.
So the question is why this contrast between a couple of good tracks and a plethora of monotonous rubbish? I think that there are a few possibilities; the first reasons being that he is lacking the creativity he once had or perhaps he's just being lazy. That theory for me just doesn't hold much truth because if you can come up with This Day We Fight and Headcrusher then it can't be for that reason.
The second and more plausible reason is that he was making watered down rubbish for mainstream consumption. He has since stated that "I'm not making another radio song ever," and that in part it has to do with "the producer that you're working with." It's usually inevitable that if a band like Megadeth compromise their artistic integrity then they'll make a poor album and this trend continues on the following two albums.
Lets also briefly discuss the subject of guitar solos and the collaboration between Mustaine and Chris Broderick; it’s very good. It goes without saying that Broderick is an extremely talented guitar player and the duel solo aspect of this album is one of the positive aspects, although Broderick will always be compared to previous guitarists, most notably Marty Friedman and perhaps he [Friedman] contributed more than just his technical expertise; he added his own unique style which during his tenure always enhanced Megadeth albums. In my opinion Broderick doesn't succeed in that respect.
As for the drum track, this was Shaun Drover’s follow up effort after “United Abominations,” and like on that album he is proficient without ever being remarkable. The last album had more going on musically so his drumming was less of a focus but this album is so much more simplified that his drumming is more noticeable in the mix. He doesn't do anything wrong but he doesn't enhance an album in the way that Nick Menza or Gar Samuelson [RIP] did. And a point of fact; the recent addition of Chris Adler from "Lamb of God" has greatly improved the dynamic of the band, the quality of the new album and their live performances.
Just to summarize; as I first expressed in the first paragraph Endgame is a kind of natural predecessor to the new album Dystopia. In one respect it's a very early prototype for Dystopia. It had the potential to be a very good album but there were just too many aspects holding it back i.e from the band dynamic to other influential parties within the record company.
This album is certainly no classic, and it isn't even half as good as Rust in Peace. The opening two tracks Dialectic Chaos and This Day We Fight showed promise for the rest of the album, but this never comes to fruition. The middle track Endgame is interesting, the latter Headcrusher along with The Right to Go Insane are excellent but the rest is extremely lyrically and musically average.
On the other hand this is still an album which some people will want to listen to and will enjoy because it does have a few positive aspects, but the problem is that it has too many negative ones. It also really just depends on what you want from an Megadeth album: for instants if you want a lot of generic mid-paced groovy metal songs then you are more likely to enjoy it. On the other hand if you are like me and want to hear something more creative and technically stronger then you will be disappointed, and in that case you should avoid this one, perhaps opting to buy a couple of the individual tracks."

Dunstan
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:01 am 

Respectfully seeking feedback for this rejected review. Too brief? EDIT: I just discovered that I had an old, invalid email address in my profile. Could that cause a rejection?

GRIFFIN
Flight of the Griffin

Armored Saint North – 85
The title of this review is a supreme compliment. Griffin plays a classy and serious brand of traditional metal that one can’t help but respect. The bands share a similar sound and songwriting style. The Saint comparison is most obvious on Heavy Metal Attack and Creeper, which happen to be the strongest songs on the album. The former anthem has a great chorus that may cause you to frighten the unaware while you wait at a stoplight.
William McKay’s vocals are similar in phasing to John Bush but his voice has a sharper edge. The rhythm section is solid and lays a good foundation for the guitars, which are not flashy but serve the songs well. This band is clearly not a vehicle for a particular member, but a band unit who’s whole is greater than the sum of its parts, and a great band should be.
The difficulty of finding this CD for a reasonable price may contribute to the legend of Griffin, but they are not overhyped in any way. This CD will be put in this reviewer’s regular rotation. A diligent and patient metal fan can find it without breaking the bank, as some become available from time to time. It’s worth the wait.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:58 am 

Yeah dude that's way to short, and the formatting is wrong. Honestly it reads like an Amazon review or something.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:15 am 

JohnHoxton wrote:
Diamhea advised me to post my rejected review here, where there are mistakes in the text. I'm having trouble with this one. Can anyone have a look and see where I've gone wrong. I'm happy to discuss the review if anyone disagrees. It's Megadeth's most overrated album. I gave my copy to Oxfam.

"I have just invested in a copy of the new Megadeth album "Dystopia" and immediately realized that (in my opinion) it's the best album since "Countdown to Extinction." I also came to the conclusion that Dystopia is the natural follow up to the album "Endgame" which prompted me to make this review. Note; I'm calling Endgame the "follow up" because I have all but erased the albums ("Thirteen" and "Super Collider") between the aforementioned from my memory.
Let's just get this out of the way immediately; this isn't the band completely returning to its thrash roots and is therefore not a "Peace Sells" or "Rust in Peace" II. This is what the hardcore thrash metal fans want so because it isn't an all-out back to their roots album lead protagonist Mustaine is vilified by a small contingent.
Mustaine did state however as he always does that this album wouldn't be a Rust in Peace II, so he couldn't be accused of being disingenuous, and the addition of another album to the discography did make ‘99s “Risk,” which was a stylistic mistake, a more distant memory.

You can pretty well just cut all this out of the review. It's unnecessary and bloated with things that don't belong in a review. And if you're going to quote someone you need to actually quote them. Aside from that you don't need to include things like "in my opinion" it's your review, we know it's your opinion. Also I'm not sure what you're doing with your formatting.... it looks like that's supposed to be three paragraphs up there but if so it's not done properly. If not why the new lines???

Quote:
Endgame was a backward step after the very accomplished last couple of albums which included "The System Has Failed" and "United Abominations." Some critics and fans alike did exclaim that this album is a new "classic," a "new era for Megadeth" and an "outstanding return to their roots," but in my opinion it's an album of "deception."

The one thing that Endgame has achieved is a good track arrangement, and what I mean is that the best tracks are positioned in such a manner that it makes the album appear much better than it actually is. The best tracks on the album are strategically added to the beginning, middle and in the final third giving the initial impression that it's very good from start to end.
The beginning of the album starts with an instrumental called "Dialectic Chaos" which is followed by a lightning fast thrash metal track called "This Day We Fight." This initial two track salvo certainly reminds me of "Into the Lungs of Hell" and "Set the World Afire" from the "So Far, So Good, So What?" album, but without really emulating either of the aforementioned tracks.

The instrumental sounds less like a classic opener and more like an interlude which belongs in the middle of an album. It doesn't have the ferocity which Into the Lungs of Hell gave us, but on the other hand This Day We Fight has everything you want to hear from Megadeth; it's fast, aggressive and shreds like no-bodies business.
Unfortunately this reasonably decent introduction to the album is followed up by too many middling tracks i.e. it's easy to assume that "44 Minutes," a song about an L.A. shot out between the Police and bank robbers, was created for radio air play. It's one of those dull mid-paced melodic tracks which has often dogged Megadeth since their "Youthanasia" days.
There's absolutely nothing interesting in the riffing patterns on this track, neither is there any ferocity which is often associated with classic Megadeth. The production of this song and on the entire album has created an excellent tone with a nice thick sound. The guitars do sound very good but regardless of positive aspect the sound quality is no substitute for better riffing patterns and imaginitive song structures. Now this wouldn't be such an issue if it was just a one-off but this trend continues throughout most of the album.
Another example would be when we encounter another track called "1320" which is about drag racing and is somewhat reminiscent of another vehicle themed song called "502," again from the album So Far, So Good, So what? The entire layout of 1320 is generic, the riffs are not aggressive, and the other major difference here between the aforementioned song is that that 1320 has neither the passion nor the ferocity of that song or the album for that matter.
But don't be too alarmed because Mustaine strategically slots the title track "Endgame" into the middle of the album with its decent thrashy moments, great shredding and interesting song structure. After this Mustaine attempts this ballad called "The Hardest Part of Letting Go... Sealed with a Kiss" and the less said about this the better.
The entire last third of the album is much stronger after a lot of mediocrity between the opening two tracks and Endgame. The track "Headcrusher" has a great tempo which will make you want to air guitar, rattle your head, and it can quickly make you forget about 44 minutes and 1320. Then you can head bang your way through the last track "The Right to Go Insane" which has some excellent dual guitar action in its finale, so much so that you might be forgiven for thinking that this album is an absolute classic.
So the question is why this contrast between a couple of good tracks and a plethora of monotonous rubbish? I think that there are a few possibilities; the first reasons being that he is lacking the creativity he once had or perhaps he's just being lazy. That theory for me just doesn't hold much truth because if you can come up with This Day We Fight and Headcrusher then it can't be for that reason.
The second and more plausible reason is that he was making watered down rubbish for mainstream consumption. He has since stated that "I'm not making another radio song ever," and that in part it has to do with "the producer that you're working with." It's usually inevitable that if a band like Megadeth compromise their artistic integrity then they'll make a poor album and this trend continues on the following two albums.
Lets also briefly discuss the subject of guitar solos and the collaboration between Mustaine and Chris Broderick; it’s very good. It goes without saying that Broderick is an extremely talented guitar player and the duel solo aspect of this album is one of the positive aspects, although Broderick will always be compared to previous guitarists, most notably Marty Friedman and perhaps he [Friedman] contributed more than just his technical expertise; he added his own unique style which during his tenure always enhanced Megadeth albums. In my opinion Broderick doesn't succeed in that respect.
As for the drum track, this was Shaun Drover’s follow up effort after “United Abominations,” and like on that album he is proficient without ever being remarkable. The last album had more going on musically so his drumming was less of a focus but this album is so much more simplified that his drumming is more noticeable in the mix. He doesn't do anything wrong but he doesn't enhance an album in the way that Nick Menza or Gar Samuelson [RIP] did. And a point of fact; the recent addition of Chris Adler from "Lamb of God" has greatly improved the dynamic of the band, the quality of the new album and their live performances.
Just to summarize; as I first expressed in the first paragraph Endgame is a kind of natural predecessor to the new album Dystopia. In one respect it's a very early prototype for Dystopia. It had the potential to be a very good album but there were just too many aspects holding it back i.e from the band dynamic to other influential parties within the record company.
This album is certainly no classic, and it isn't even half as good as Rust in Peace. The opening two tracks Dialectic Chaos and This Day We Fight showed promise for the rest of the album, but this never comes to fruition. The middle track Endgame is interesting, the latter Headcrusher along with The Right to Go Insane are excellent but the rest is extremely lyrically and musically average.
On the other hand this is still an album which some people will want to listen to and will enjoy because it does have a few positive aspects, but the problem is that it has too many negative ones. It also really just depends on what you want from an Megadeth album: for instants if you want a lot of generic mid-paced groovy metal songs then you are more likely to enjoy it. On the other hand if you are like me and want to hear something more creative and technically stronger then you will be disappointed, and in that case you should avoid this one, perhaps opting to buy a couple of the individual tracks."

I'll be honest here I stopped reading, very early on at that, but it's quite obvious why he rejected this. Your formatting is atrocious, there's no paragraphs whatsoever. I can tell where you want them but there needs to be spaces man, SPACES!! But also the places you have distinguished for your paragraphs are all wrong dude. Like three sentences per paragraph isn't going to cut it, it just looks unhinged and poorly thought out. Condense and organize your thoughts into a better flowing text.

The other big issue here is that this is a track by track. That's a big no no and is almost always and immediate rejection. Just rework this and rethink your ideas to cut out the track by track style.

Azmodes wrote:

Dunstan
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:36 am 

Erosion of Humanity wrote:
Yeah dude that's way to short, and the formatting is wrong. Honestly it reads like an Amazon review or something.

Ok. Formatting was better but didn't cut and paste correctly in the forum. I will add detail and resubmit. Can't argue with the Amazon comparison. I just noticed the official feedback and it was clear. I guess I shouldn't go 8 years between reviews again. :)

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:44 am 

Oh is that what it is with the formatting? Ok then, just for future reference please make sure that you correct that before submitting to this thread. As you can see by the guy who posted after your with that giant ass review, it makes it difficult to read. That and we can't tell whether or not you submitted the review like that, which if you did will be cause for rejection.

Azmodes wrote:

Dunstan
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:51 pm 

Approved on second submission. Thanks for the feedback. I plan to do quite a few more in the coming weeks.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:57 pm 

Dunstan wrote:
Approved on second submission. Thanks for the feedback. I plan to do quite a few more in the coming weeks.

Cool, glad to have you aboard. Just remember to describe the music first and foremost. If you are concise this can be done in two fair-sized paragraphs easy.

Look at my reviews for an example of a proper template for formatting.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Dunstan
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:48 pm 

I'll have a lot more to say about the next one, but it won't ramble. Griffin just pretty much sounded like Saint to me, and in my mind there wasn't a lot more to say. I think the amount of detail will be somewhat dictated by the album and how much of an impression it makes.

MDL
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:14 pm 

My review on Janaza's demo was rejected by this reason: "Riddled with typos and formatting errors. Needs to be proofread." What does this actually means? I've corrected some typos that I only detected now. There is my review:

Janaza is an iraquian black metal band, famous for it's violent lyrics against islamism (and religion, in general) and for claiming to be formed by a single woman, that introduced herself by the pseudonym of "Anahita". "Burning Quran Ceremony" is the first demo of this band and it's expectful that the sound quality is not really the best, but is still enjoyable. Mostly of the songs from this demo are totally drowned into a bass/baritone sound, with almost inacessible guitar riffs and drum beats (except for the cymbals). However, you can still listen to some kind of guitar solo-ing during the songs, that strongly resembles arabian folk music.

Unlike the instrumental section, the vocals can be heard well and the lyrics are perfectly understandable. As you probably know (or not), Anahita's parents were killed during the armed conflits in her country. Having her family destroyed, along with her homeland and friends and her heartburning for people living in another civilizated countries (that can have a stable life), are, in my point of view, strong influences in her vocal performance. You don't need to listen too much of the first song of this demo ("Burn the Pages of Quran", even thought that it is a pretty short track) to seek that her voice is full of hate and the lyrics are really strong and blasphemous, insulting islamism as the most violent way as she could.
There are tons of heavy metal bands around here that talk about war, satanism, sacrifices, rituals and catastrophic/frightful events (such as the Holocaust, natural disasters or Inquisition). However, there are almost no heavy metal musicians (or even musicians in general) that truly witnessed those things. But with Anahita was different: she totally knows how hard life is while living in a country such as Iraq and having to deal with all the armed conflits and the harsh conditions imposed by religious beliefs. She was also a witness of her own family's death and destruction during those incidents, what makes you to understand that she is actually conscious about what she is talking about in her music and that she truly deserves all the reason to do something such as this.
Her situation makes me remember of another famous heavy metal band from Iraq, Acrassicauda, which lyrics also refer the problems that islamist extremists bring to people. However, while Acrassicauda talks about it in a sentimental way, mentioning their life while iraquian citizens and adding hope to their lyrics, Anahita just focuses on blasphemy and hating.

In every song (except for Nargaroth's "Black Metal Ist Krieg" cover), in it's respective beginning and by it's mid, there are vocal speeches and chantings of islamism religion believers or recorded voice reports of problems related to islamism and religious extremists around the world. They all have a dull, raw and poor sound production and I believe that those speeches were mixed and distorted in that way deliberately, probably in another method to throw blasphemy against islamism.

As I have stated above, the overall sound production of this demo is very poor, although that the first track, "Burning the Pages of Quran" does have a better sound quality and production that the following tracks. Even the vocal speeches sound good. The next two songs, "Islamic Lies" and "Arise" show to the listener that awful sound quality that I mentioned above, resembling the raw black metal genre, in bands such as 1389 and Gnashing of Teeth, for example. The Nargaroth's song cover of "Black Metal Ist Krieg" sounds less rawer than the two previous tracks, but it still does not reach to the first track's sound quality. Finally, the fifth track, "When Islam Brainwashed Mankind" is a recording of a CNN News report, showing muslim protests on Europe. This means that we are not safe anywhere.

In my opinion, "Burning Quran Ceremony" is not an amazing black metal record, but it will prevail forever on it's registry for the story behind it. There is nothing on this that you could not associate with a demo, in sonorous terms. I also doubt that this will ever get a sequel or a remastered record, since Anahita's other band, Seeds of Iblis, was relocated to France and all the members must be more worried on keeping their lives safe and identities unknown that writing music on two diferent projects (plus, it is basically the same between Janaza and Seeds of Iblis).

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:17 pm 

MDL666 wrote:
My review on Janaza's demo was rejected by this reason: "Riddled with typos and formatting errors. Needs to be proofread." What does this actually means? I've corrected some typos that I only detected now. There is my review:

Janaza is an iraquian black metal band, famous for it's violent lyrics against islamism (and religion, in general) and for claiming to be formed by a single woman, that introduced herself by the pseudonym of "Anahita". "Burning Quran Ceremony" is the first demo of this band and it's expectful that the sound quality is not really the best, but is still enjoyable. Mostly of the songs from this demo are totally drowned into a bass/baritone sound, with almost inacessible guitar riffs and drum beats (except for the cymbals). However, you can still listen to some kind of guitar solo-ing during the songs, that strongly resembles arabian folk music.

Well just here in the opening paragraph you have failed to capitalize three proper nouns (Iraqi (spelled like this, Iraquian isn't a word), Islam (Islamism is wrong here too, though for context of the word), and Arabian). There's also the wrong use of its/it's and a few other spelling mistakes.

Quote:
Unlike the instrumental section, the vocals can be heard well and the lyrics are perfectly understandable. As you probably know (or not), Anahita's parents were killed during the armed conflits in her country. Having her family destroyed, along with her homeland and friends and her heartburning for people living in another civilizated countries (that can have a stable life), are, in my point of view, strong influences in her vocal performance. You don't need to listen too much of the first song of this demo ("Burn the Pages of Quran", even thought that it is a pretty short track) to seek that her voice is full of hate and the lyrics are really strong and blasphemous, insulting islamism as the most violent way as she could.
There are tons of heavy metal bands around here that talk about war, satanism, sacrifices, rituals and catastrophic/frightful events (such as the Holocaust, natural disasters or Inquisition). However, there are almost no heavy metal musicians (or even musicians in general) that truly witnessed those things. But with Anahita was different: she totally knows how hard life is while living in a country such as Iraq and having to deal with all the armed conflits and the harsh conditions imposed by religious beliefs. She was also a witness of her own family's death and destruction during those incidents, what makes you to understand that she is actually conscious about what she is talking about in her music and that she truly deserves all the reason to do something such as this.
Her situation makes me remember of another famous heavy metal band from Iraq, Acrassicauda, which lyrics also refer the problems that islamist extremists bring to people. However, while Acrassicauda talks about it in a sentimental way, mentioning their life while iraquian citizens and adding hope to their lyrics, Anahita just focuses on blasphemy and hating.

This is the formatting, this should be two paragraphs but you have it all jumbled together. The spelling errors are too many for me to list and there's confusing as fuck grammar. Lots of the confusion comes in with your frequent usage of () and , that aren't done properly or are just used too much. You also basically say the same thing twice, about her history and whatnot.

Quote:
In every song (except for Nargaroth's "Black Metal Ist Krieg" cover), in it's respective beginning and by it's mid, there are vocal speeches and chantings of islamism religion believers or recorded voice reports of problems related to islamism and religious extremists around the world. They all have a dull, raw and poor sound production and I believe that those speeches were mixed and distorted in that way deliberately, probably in another method to throw blasphemy against islamism.

Again with it's/its and spelling.

Quote:
As I have stated above, the overall sound production of this demo is very poor, although that the first track, "Burning the Pages of Quran" does have a better sound quality and production that the following tracks. Even the vocal speeches sound good. The next two songs, "Islamic Lies" and "Arise" show to the listener that awful sound quality that I mentioned above, resembling the raw black metal genre, in bands such as 1389 and Gnashing of Teeth, for example. The Nargaroth's song cover of "Black Metal Ist Krieg" sounds less rawer than the two previous tracks, but it still does not reach to the first track's sound quality. Finally, the fifth track, "When Islam Brainwashed Mankind" is a recording of a CNN News report, showing muslim protests on Europe. This means that we are not safe anywhere.

In my opinion, "Burning Quran Ceremony" is not an amazing black metal record, but it will prevail forever on it's registry for the story behind it. There is nothing on this that you could not associate with a demo, in sonorous terms. I also doubt that this will ever get a sequel or a remastered record, since Anahita's other band, Seeds of Iblis, was relocated to France and all the members must be more worried on keeping their lives safe and identities unknown that writing music on two diferent projects (plus, it is basically the same between Janaza and Seeds of Iblis).

Here you basically rehash your entire review in like three sentences all while managing to turn it into a track by track... just bad, all around. The last paragraph is pretty useless, I mean I guess you *could* keep it but I wouldn't recommend it, just saying. Lastly your whole review reads very checklisty, this is a problem I see far too often and makes me very sad :(. It won't inherently be cause for rejection but it sure doesn't help, especially when the review is so rife with other problems.

Azmodes wrote:

MDL
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:48 pm 

Thanks for helping, I've just been correcting the grammar problems and deleting what was not necessary. I actually needed to read the review twice before submitting.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:00 pm 

Yeah it's always good to read your reviews before submitting them, and for me I like to read them aloud so that I can hear how it flows, not just my mental flow. It actually helps a lot and should be something you get in the habit of. It really helps with thing that can be tricky for non native speakers like it's/its.

Azmodes wrote:

MDL
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:20 pm 

Oh well, the review got rejected again because of typos. I believe that it is mostly by that stuff of its and it's, which is sort of complicated, at least to me, since this is not my primary language.
I decided to keep the last paragraph because it had some ideas that I want to detach and I switched some expressions or words for another ones that are more acessible and understandable. Here is the current draft:

Janaza is an Iraqi black metal band, famous for its violent lyrics against Islamism (and religion, in general) and for claiming to be formed by a single woman, that introduced herself by the pseudonym of "Anahita". "Burning Quran Ceremony" is the first demo of this band and it is expectful that the sound quality is not really the best, but can still be enjoyable. Mostly of the songs from this demo are totally drowned into a bass/baritone sound, with almost inacessible guitar riffs and drum beats (except for the cymbals). However, you can still listen to some kind of guitar solo-ing during the songs, that strongly resembles Arabian folk music. "Burn the Pages of Quran" sounds like that it is the song that haves the better sound production of the entire demo, while all the others were extremely raw and gloomy.

Unlike the instrumental section, the vocals can be heard well and the lyrics are perfectly perceptible. As you probably know (or not), Anahita's parents were killed during the armed conflits in her country. Having her family destroyed, along with her homeland and friends, the need to deal with all the armed conflits and the harsh conditions imposed by religious beliefs and the heartburning for people living well in another civilizated countries, are, in my point of view, strong influences in her vocal performance. You don't need to listen too much of the first song of the demo to comprehend that her voice is full of hate and the lyrics are really strong and blasphemous, insulting Islamism as the most violent way as she could, even thought that "Burn the Pages of Quran" is a pretty short track

There are tons of heavy metal bands around the world that talk about war, satanism, sacrifices, rituals and catastrophic/frightful events (such as the Holocaust, natural disasters or Inquisition). However, there are almost no heavy metal musicians (or even musicians in general) that truly witnessed those things or have experienced anything such as that. But with Anahita was different: she totally knows how hard life is while living in a country such as Iraq.

Her situation made me remember of another famous heavy metal band from Iraq, Acrassicauda, because their lyrics also refer the problems that Islamist extremists brought to people. However, while Acrassicauda talks about it in a sentimental way, mentioning their life while Iraqi citizens and adding hope to their lyrics, Anahita just focuses on blasphemy and hating.

Except for Nargaroth's "Black Metal Ist Krieg" cover, every song on the record haves, in its respective beginning and by its mid, vocal speeches and chantings of Islamism religion believers or recorded voice reports of problems related to Islamism and religious extremists around the world. They all have a dull, raw and poor sound production and I believe that those speeches were mixed and distorted in that way deliberately, probably in another method to throw blasphemy against islamism.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:16 pm 

Whatever spellchecker you are using isn't working, because I still see several obvious typos.

MDL
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:03 pm 

I am writing according to my fluency on english language. What are some typos that you detected? To me, it seems ok. It is about words or sentence formation and/or meanings?

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:11 pm 

1. Expectful - not a word
2. Inacessible - inaccessible
3. Acessible - accessible
3. Conflits - conflicts (two instances)
4. Heartburning - reads very strangely in the context it is used. Also not a word.
5. Civilizated - not a word
6. Diferent - different
7. islamism - should be capitalized

We encourage everyone, especially non-native English speakers, to use a spellchecking program. I'm shocked and disappointed that you haven't even done this.

MDL
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:16 pm 

I actually though that some of these words really existed or that were well written. I'm going to correct the mistakes and read it again, thanks!
Here is the new review:

Janaza is an Iraqi black metal band, famous for its violent lyrics against Islamism (and religion, in general) and for claiming to be formed by a single woman, that introduced herself by the pseudonym of "Anahita". "Burning Quran Ceremony" is the first demo of this band and it is predictable that the sound quality is not really the best, but can still be enjoyable. Most of the songs from this demo are totally drowned into a bass/baritone sound, with almost inaccessible guitar riffs and drum beats (except for the cymbals). However, you can still listen to some kind of guitar solo-ing during the songs, that strongly resembles Arabian folk music. "Burn the Pages of Quran" sounds like that it is the song that haves the better sound production of the entire demo, while all the others were extremely raw and gloomy.

Unlike the instrumental section, the vocals can be heard well and the lyrics are perfectly perceptible. As you probably know (or not), Anahita's parents were killed during the armed conflicts in her country. Having her family destroyed, along with her homeland and friends, the need to deal with all the armed conflicts and the harsh conditions imposed by religious beliefs and the envy for people that are living well in stable and decent countries, are, in my point of view, strong influences in her vocal performance. You don't need to listen too much of the first song of the demo to comprehend that her voice is full of hate and the lyrics are really strong and blasphemous, insulting Islamism as the most violent way as she could, even though that "Burn the Pages of Quran" is a pretty short track

There are tons of heavy metal bands around the world that talk about war, satanism, sacrifices, rituals and catastrophic/frightful events (such as the Holocaust, natural disasters or Inquisition). However, there are almost no heavy metal musicians (or even musicians in general) that truly witnessed those things or have experienced anything as such. But with Anahita was different: she totally knows how hard life is while living in a country such as Iraq.

Her situation made me remember of another famous heavy metal band from Iraq, Acrassicauda, because their lyrics also refer the problems that Islamist extremists brought to people. However, while Acrassicauda talks about it in a sentimental way, mentioning their life while Iraqi citizens and adding hope to their lyrics, Anahita just focuses on blasphemy and hating.

Except for Nargaroth's "Black Metal Ist Krieg" cover, every song on the record haves, in its respective beginning and by its mid, vocal speeches and chantings of Islamism religion believers or recorded voice reports of problems related to Islamism and religious extremists around the world. They all have a dull, raw and poor sound production and I believe that those speeches were mixed and distorted in that way deliberately, probably in another method to throw blasphemy against Islamism.

In my opinion, "Burning Quran Ceremony" is not an amazing black metal record, but it will prevail forever on it's registry for the story behind it. There is nothing on this that you could not associate with a demo, in sonorous terms. I also doubt that this will ever get a sequel or a remastered record, since Anahita's other band, Seeds of Iblis, was relocated to France and all the members are probably more worried on keeping their lives safe and identities unknown than writing music on two different projects (plus, the music basically the same, between Janaza and Seeds of Iblis).

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:24 pm 

Looking for legit critique. How can I improve on this?:
http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/J ... ank/202503

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:12 pm 

Wilytank wrote:
Looking for legit critique. How can I improve on this?:
http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/J ... ank/202503

Take poetry lessons. Yours sucks.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:13 pm 

Okay, how about this one?: http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/S ... ank/202503

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:16 pm 

Wilytank wrote:

Profound. A minimalist statement on the primal stages of existence. The single period, while typically a punctuation mark signalling the end, is here repurposed as an indicator of beginning, of "firstness". It is the compacted matter prior to the Big Bang, the ovum of our reality. Your work has touched me on a metaphysical level; to say that you have "improved" is an affront to the genius of your composition here. A defiant message of creation that stands in the face of universal entropy... truly we have before us a postmodern masterpiece. You should be proud.

doktor_philth_666
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:54 pm 

I have a new review I would like opinions on. I know I have some issues with writing reviews, and I wanted opinions of those here to help me with it, so I don't waste time just by submitting and having it rejected. It's for Moloch's "Verwüstung".

From the sound of other Moloch albums, this album has a different take compared to all the others. While some of the musical and lyrical themes are still present on this album, we can feel there is a new stronger influence on this album. I think we all know, and hear, that the Burzum influence on this album is more present compared to the others. With that stronger influence on this album, I think we get something that we’ve never gotten before from Moloch.

The slight raw, and destructive, guitar riffs on this album explode into what I feel makes a good black metal album, the vocals are showing more aggression mixed with agony and hate. The drums sound more properly recorded in a studio rather than sounding like it was done in a few-takes rehearsal or programmed from a drum. The construction of this album gives a new era when it comes to Moloch. As for if this is how Moloch will sound for the next month, year or decade is yet to be determined, I think it’s safe to say this album paves the way to a new path. All the instruments are put together in a well-constructed fashion, the vocals are clear to understand, the drums don’t over-power every little thing and the agony, hatred and despair of the band can be felt by the listener.

The lyrical theme is kept the same as it always has been with Moloch, with the new direction the music is going adds a bit more to the despair. There is nothing happy or positive about this album. From past Moloch albums, I can pick up more hatred on this album mixed in with the depressive lyrics.

The album continues with some dark ambient material, but only on the introduction and the conclusion tracks, rather than mixed in with other songs or after a song or two. Unless you count the bass solo at the beginning of “Du bist nichts in dieser sterbenden Welt”. The introduction track sounds more of a dark ambient, low tone and haunting for what is about to come when the next song starts. The conclusion track is more of the experimental drone/ambient. This conclusion track has to be a personal favorite of mine, since it gives off the vibe that no matter what is done, the haunting agony, despair and rage that is felt from this album, and that Moloch has expressed in this album, will never leave us. The tracks I most recommend for this album are “Verwüstung”, “Du bist nichts in dieser sterbenden Welt” and “Blutmond”.

PETERG
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 3:16 pm 

This is my review for the new album of Deafheaven.What should i add/remove or change? Thanks in advance.

So what is up with all of these "post-rock/black metal" bands that rise up every year-or should I say month? Is this sub-genre really the "evolution" of black metal or it will be the trend that will "save" the black metal scene from turning into a total advertisement of "cult and true" bands? To be honest, nothing of the above. Black metal is were it needs to be; butchering the high standards of one genre will tear the whole thing apart instead of "fixing" it. Don't get me wrong the idea of mixing black metal with genres that are not even close to the extreme music is good on paper and can be found in some really great and with historical meaning now examples (Peste Noire, Dodheimsgard etc.). I understand that when you do things like that, you pretty much have to earn the trophy of making something that normal people wouldn't even think. There are two big problems here though.

The first and probably most important is the completely blend, balance that I observe as a listener. None of the two genres comes in a first role or takes control, giving you the feeling of what that was supposed to be: the combination of two different things in one with the sole purpose of representing two entities fighting, but emerge and fuse into something bigger and greater. Instead, here we have the classic generic Wolves in the Throne Room 8 minute tracks with an addition of mere radio-friendly melodies that any decent band could come up with. Some drone or doom elements could easily made the songs more interesting, but no Deafheaven are different and must be innovative and cool or they will be another new black metal band right? The vocals disappoint me once again; trying desperately to be on the suicidal side of the genre, but mixing them in a terrible way with what? A clone of scream weird thing which only kills the entire vibe of the song. As for the so called "post-rock" parts? Again the blend balance comes in first place because at least from my point of view I only heard 4 people who really really love their post rock idols and decide to pick the easy way and just copy them. Those elements of the band make their songs weird on the one hand, but boring on the other. Black metal songs are not supposed to have a standard form but are not supposed to have no form or construct at all!

As for the second- I know that after that most of you will scroll down your page- it's the image of those guys. For those of you who are unfamiliar with the total aesthetics of the genre I can tell you that image DOES matter in big way. Of course I am not saying that every band has to wear corpse paint and act like Marduk on stage, but for the love of God you cannot represent the probably most notorious and extreme genre of music and dress like a high school shoegaze 18 year old nerd. The idea behind corpsepaint has yet to be fully rejected as obsolete and repetitive but even then bands who decide to throw away this big aesthetic they add the classic heavy metal style. Before entering a scene or community and try to represent it you have to learn what black metal actually is. Nihilistic and counter-way to everything. Do Deafheaven do any of those things with their way of presenting themselves? NO.I swear if I saw those guys in a concert before they could play I would not say that they would play black metal-which apparently do NOT. Yes it is time I think people should have understood that. Deafheaven is the band that started the whole wave of black metal that evolved from screamo a totally non-metal genre. As much as an old elitist, I sound this is just another reason to hate them; the fact that can just be put in such a sneaky way in a heavy metal page.

Last but not least we have also to point how much of an arrogant fool this band is made. People who find it cool making fun of non heavy metal Russian bands thinking that they are heavier or more "metal" than them. Yeah that's a way to show the world how much of a brutal failure you are.

The verdict: Dear guys of Deafheaven, please listen to more black metal if you want to call yourselves something along those lines. This is not black metal-and for those of you who say "well this is not black metal;this is pure art" I say no: This is a hipster atrocity at it's finest... well with some blast beats so take the 1/10

RYM

I got places I gotta be!

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:53 pm 

Notes and corrections appear in spoiler
MDL666 wrote:
Here is the new review:

Spoiler: show
Errors or corrections either in bold or strike through, see asterisks. Some grammatical/punctuation fixes made, so pay attention when editing. Notes are in parentheses, and corrections appear in brackets. I didn't change much of the general style, since word craft is up to you. Let me know if any of my notes are unclear.

Janaza is an Iraqi black metal band famous for its violent lyrics against Islamism (and religion, in general) and for claiming to be formed by a single woman, [*who] introduced herself by the pseudonym of "Anahita". *Burning Quran Ceremony is the first demo of this band. [*It] is predictable that the sound quality is not really the best, but can still be enjoyable. Most of the songs from this demo are totally drowned into a bass/baritone sound with almost inaccessible guitar riffs and drum beats (except for the cymbals). However, you can still [*hear] some kind of guitar solo-ing during the songs that strongly resembles Arabian folk music. "Burn the Pages of Quran" [*has] the better sound production of the entire demo, while all the others were extremely raw and gloomy. Unlike the instrumental section, the vocals can be heard well and the lyrics are perfectly perceptible.

(I condensed and slightly reordered this section.)
As you probably know (or not) Anahita's parents were killed during the armed conflicts in her country. Having After her family [*was] destroyed, along with her homeland and friends, the need to deal with all the armed conflicts and the harsh conditions imposed by religious beliefs and the envy for people that are living well in stable and decent countries, are, in my point of view, strong influences in her vocal performance. (This sentence is too long, but content is good.) There are tons of heavy metal bands around the world that talk about war, satanism, sacrifices, rituals and catastrophic/frightful events (such as the Holocaust, natural disasters, or [*the Spanish] Inquisition). However, there are almost no heavy metal musicians (or even musicians in general) [*who] truly witnessed those things, or have experienced anything [*like it]. But with Anahita [*this is] different: she totally knows how hard life is while living in a country such as Iraq. You don't need to listen [*to] much [*more than] the first song of the demo to comprehend that her voice is full of hate and the lyrics are really strong and blasphemous, insulting [*Islam] [*in] the most violent way as she could, even though that "Burn the Pages of Quran" is a pretty short track.

Except for Nargaroth's "Black Metal Ist Krieg" cover, every song on the record haves, in its respective beginning and by its mid, vocal speeches and chantings of Islamism religion believers or recorded voice reports of problems related to Islamism and religious extremists around the world. They all have a dull, raw and poor sound production and I believe that those speeches were mixed and distorted in that way deliberately, probably in another method to throw blasphemy against [*Islam].

In my opinion, *Burning Quran Ceremony is not an amazing black metal record, but it will prevail forever *on it's registry (?? Unclear) for the story behind it. There is nothing on this that you could not associate with a demo, in *sonorous (sonic?" "in terms of audio"? Not sure what you're going for) terms. I also doubt that this will ever get a sequel or a remastered record, since Anahita's other band, Seeds of Iblis, was relocated to France and all the members are probably more worried on keeping their lives safe and identities unknown (If you could include a reason for saying this, it would sound less speculative. I read that Melechesh had to relocate for similar reasons, though, so some corroboration would serve you well here) than writing music on two different projects [*since the music of both Janaza and Seeds of Iblis is basically the same].

I liked this first draft quite a bit. I thought you did well including the context of the band members and origin story was very interesting. Reading it over a few times, it's still light on musical description, and the second paragraph is too much of a checklist. Give that section more attention without getting off topic. No padding, just substance.

~Guest 366996
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:02 am 

Happy Days

Last edited by ~Guest 366996 on Thu May 12, 2016 4:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:32 pm 

JohnHoxton wrote:
I've been rejected for typo and grammar issues. It's a fucking nightmare because I' m using a 6 inch tablet screen. Anyhow it's just a very general review. Any help on the typos and grammar would be appreciated.

Notes in spoiler.

(As you can see, there are corrections and notes spattering this review. I can understand that working on a tablet is frustrating, but grammar isn't affected by platform. It's standard practice for writing composition. If you're a student, I recommend spending time with an English composition tutor. I'm not sure why you're only able to write on a tablet, but it sounds maddening. If that's your only option, spend your time writing in the computer lab instead.

General basics: Italicize album titles and quote track titles; this is inconsistent throughout. Further notes appear parenthetically within the body, also strike-throughs. Some corrections appear in bold. Puctuation corrections appear with an asterisk.)

-----

(Please include the full header: title of review, album title/band, & score. I understand that it's a formality, but context is important.)

After the '04 release of The System Has Failed, which had been described as a "back to form" album (by whom?), Dave Mustaine followed this up by assembling assembled a brand new line up which resulted in the release of the for United Abominations album. This release had been described by some (who?) as an album which that almost takes them back closer to their Rust in Peace days. and while Even though it's a very accomplished album, winning Guitar World's album of the year (it won in which year? Confusing), it still pales in comparison to that masterpiece of heavy metal. (The timeline of this paragraph is confusing in general.)

There are some very memorable moments on this album which that really do stand out as "classic"(no qotations, confusing Megadeth, but it's less thrashy than, say, Rust in Peace. This was an album pushing more towards their '80s "roots," (no qotations, confusing but (is? they're? doesn't quite get there? need to clarify this idea)not quite there yet. Regardless,* the album is reasonably strong from start to end. It's as if Mustaine finally woke up and rhetorically exclaimed "what the fuck have I been doing, and what the fuck was that Risk album all about?"

(This information should be moved to the paragraph appropriate for the topic, not out here on its own connecting to nothing.)
The new Megadeth lineup for this album consisted of guitarist Glen Drover, on percussion Glen's brother,* Shawn, who were both in a Canadian Band called Eidolon, for with which I'm not familiar, and bass player,* James Lomenzo. Again,* I'm not familiar with Lomenza's CV,* either. In one respect not knowing much about this new lineup had its merits:* I had no preconceptions. of course we have Dave Mustaine on guitar and vocals.

(This is a lead-in paragraph, but it's in the middle of the review? Why?)
What we have here is a very stylish, well balanced album full of good tracks. If you generally like Megadeth's output and enjoy intricate guitar parts,* then you'll like this one. The album shifts nicely between thrashy tracks such as "Sleepwalker" and "Washington is Next" to good heavy crunching mid-tempo tracks such as "Gears of War" and "Play For Blood."

One of the defining points which that makes this album better than some of its predecessors is the riffing patterns and intricate dual guitar solos. Both Mustaine and Drover put in some excellent performances on guitar. Their playing really enhances the the songs, most notably that of "Burnt Ice," which has some featuring excellent guitar solos in the outro.

(Say what? This paragraph is confusing in general. Control its idea or delete it all together.)
As for the politics, don't be fooled by the album cover; this isn't a totally politically charged album. There are only a couple of songs which really fall into that category, and sometimes you just have to take it with a pinch of salt. I'm not saying that Mustaine is politically ignorant; I'm just saying that we shouldn't read into it too much, unlike someone who felt compelled to rebuke it on a U.N. affairs blog. I mean Mustaine isn't running to be the next "president of the United States of America."

(One sentence isn't a paragraph. Include this in its relevant paragraph.)
One example of this politically charged angle is "Amerikstan" which is an amusing song about the "War on Terror" where there's enough ambiguity to make it interesting, and even if you don't find it lyrically compelling then there should be enough good music to still capture your interest.

The only track I’m not convinced by is the re-recording of "A Tout Le Monde." The original version from the Youthanasia album was a well written song about someone's imminent death. This version of it has a faster tempo and includes guest vocals by Lacuna Coil singer Cristina Scabbia who puts in a very competent performance. However,* it feels a little contrived whereas the original has a far more natural feel to it. It was a pointless exercise,* and the addition of the Japanese bonus track "Black Swan" would have been a much better choice for the album.

As I first stated(Depending on your rewrite, this could all change) this album isn't a complete return to the glory days of Rust in Peace. Perhaps the new Dystopia album is the closest to earning that accolade. This album on the other hand is a very good addition. If you are very familiar with Megadeth's back catalogue by this up to this point in their career and enjoy aspects of all everything that preceded the Risk disaster,* then I definitely recommend this album. If you're new to Megadeth,* I'd recommend starting at the beginning.

-----

(Over all, the review is disjointed. Make a quick outline to organize the flow of your ideas, and then rearranging your paragraphs to match; as it is, the ideas aren't cohesive enough. You have ideas for similar topics scattered all over. Collect all those ideas into single paragraphs dedicated to their topics, explore the given ideas thoroughly, and then move on to the next topic. Musical description needs to be more robust and evocative over all. For instance, I'd like to hear more about why this album is a return to their earlier days, and why you think it doesn't quite manage. I can't really talk about style until general organization and errors are sorted out, but I encourage you to spend time working on the clarity of your communcation.)

~Guest 366996
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 12:11 pm 

FTAO Grave-wyrm,

Many thanks for your assistance. I'll use your corrections and advice but only when I replace my broken computer.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:10 pm 

ftao?

Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:12 pm 

I believe it is an abbreviation of 'for the attention of'.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:42 pm 

interesting. Thanks.

Mikhail95
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:43 pm 

Please help I got rejected for grammar issues on this review and I am having trouble picking them out please help. Russian was my first language and my grammar isn't the greatest.

My Review for Destruction's Release From Agony

Wow! That is the first word that came out of my mouth when I first heard this album. This easily surpasses their earlier work. For one the production was better, not by much mind you, as you can still hear the rawness Destruction still possessed but the sound became clearer and their technical abilities have greatly improved. From the very first instrumental track you could tell these guys were up to something special, as the guitar work is absolutely flawless and majestic. Acoustic passages, Teutonic bludgeoning riffs, insanely technical riffs, and solid bass fills. Sure this isn't the fastest or most brutal thrash created, but it's still pretty harsh sounding and what it doesn't have in barbarity and savageness it makes up for it with its technical prowess and songwriting ability. This reminds me very heavily of Megadeth's "Peace Sells." This is some of the most dense metal I have ever heard, as there are many different passages going on at the same time in the music and it will take multiple listens to hear all the great riffs and inner joined riffs.

Marcel Schmier's vocals sound downright evil on this record. He has a very similar vocal style to early black metal/Mercyful Fate types but not as annoying. He also has he some impressive screams that are very hard to hit. His bass playing is actually very audible on this record and he provides a very strong backdrop to the wildly technical guitar playing. The older records had inaudible bass playing and had a much rawer sound. This isn't as raw as I stated before but the production for all the instruments are far more balanced and in turn it makes the music more fluent and more brutal to boot. The guitars are extremely technical and throw down some great riffs from the guitar duo Mike Sifringer and Harry Wilkens. The addition of Harry Wilkens was a great addition to the band as he is one of the most underrated players ever. I heard somewhere that he used to practice 15-20 hours a day, and from hearing this record it's not that hard to tell. His and Mike's riffs are very technical and dense as they have many inner joined riffs, and off time riffs that you will need multiple listens to hear all of them. "Sign of Fear" has one of the most technical guitar solos in metal ever written because in flamenco guitar playing you could hear every squeak and creak in the guitar and to nail a solo like that with no mistakes is something of godlike ability. The other guitar solo that comes in the middle of the song has some insane picking that would wear out a normal humans forearms. Unfortunately Harry left the band long ago and what ever happened to him? The man was an excellent guitarist and no one ever talks about him, just unbelievable, as I feel his departure affected the band greatly because Mike cannot hold down riffs like these all on his own.

The lyrical themes explored on this album deal heavily with political topics such as government and corruption as well as other horror themes like murder and nightmares. An interesting one is "Sign of Fear" which actually deals with relationships problems, which I found quite interesting. So overall a tremendous improvement over their last efforts and a huge breakthrough for thrash metal as a genre. This album I think spawned the technical thrash metal movement going on in Germany because nothing was this dense or technical at the time in Europe or America. In conclusion this is metal music for the thinking metal listener or someone looking for very technical music filled to the brim with difficult passages, time changes, and disjointed riffs. I must say this is easily one of the best thrash albums released for the year of 1987 and a great improvement for Destruction. This album made them be considered a ferocious force in the thrash metal genre.

Standouts: "Dissatisfied Existence," "Sign of Fear," and "Release From Agony"

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:19 am 

mikey22 wrote:
Please help I got rejected for grammar issues on this review and I am having trouble picking them out please help. Russian was my first language and my grammar isn't the greatest.

I'm tempted to refuse on account of you calling King Diamond annoying. :hail:

No problem if English isn't your first language. If you put this in Microsoft Word, I can guarantee that you'll see green lines. Commas are editing tools with rules (see Purdue Owl). When they're used properly, they make reading easier. A grammar checker should get you at least in the ballpark as to where the errors are, and hunting them up yourself is the best practice possible. JohnHoxton had similar grammatical errors to yours, as well as a similar general incoherence to the writing (i.e., ideas scattered about in need of consolidation). Have a look at the notes I gave him as reference for your rewrite.

Italicize album titles, quotes around song names.

In general this a basic "first draft" review. Take a second crack at it. Get your different topics together to form proper paragraphs, and take the sentence structures to a grammar checker. Then we should have a better idea of what we're working with. When you rewrite, read it out loud to recognize pacing issues.

~Guest 366798
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:52 pm 

Hi.

I already tried to submit this review but always get rejected due to grammar errors (yeah, i'm not very good in english), i'll need some help to make this an acceptable review.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The first thing I can say is that I think this is the best album by <b>Battle Beast</b>.

What gives this album is a very good experience of excellent heavy metal, among the 13 songs on this album, all you will find is great lyrics, great guitar solos and great riffs. The album opens with the song <i>Let it Roar</i>, which offers an excellent introduction and a very good chorus with the energetic shouts of Noora, and that song will give you a taste of what is coming.

The first thing I would look at, is the excellent voice of <b>Noora Louhimo</b>. What Noora gives us in this album is an energetic voice, especially in the choruses, and a beautiful soft voice in the slower parts. The rhythm guitar is based on strong riffs mixing those old school riffs very influenced by NWOBHM bands with power metal riffs and some influences of modern metal, and they sound really good. The lead guitar gives us virtuous and fast guitar solos, which are a delicacy for the ears, this guy is a great shredder and loves sweep picking. The drums are one of the examples of how a heavy metal drummer should play, quickly, accurately and with great power, the fills are completely excellent, and unlike other bands, the bass is not muted by the other instruments, to the contrary, you can feel the bass, and in some songs the bassist plays excellently and sometimes become the protagonist (such as during the verses of <i>Black Ninja</i>).

Several songs have an epic introduction and that gives the energy to the song from the beginning, and some other songs have a slow first part, but they unleash a hellish power that lasts until the end of the song. One element that I note is that in this album, the band incorporates some industrial and electronic elements (can be seen in songs like <i>Neuromancer</i>), which gives the band a touch of more originality and can attract those who are not accustomed to hearing bands like this.

The atmosphere of the songs is a combination between harmony and epic choruses, guitar riffs, and guitar solos, with a noticeable touch of futurism. Speaking about the structure of the songs, it is the common structure of most heavy metal songs, introduction, verse, chorus, verse, chorus, solo, chorus. The guitar solos are a little long, but i love that. The lyrics usually speak about fantasy, war and robots, it could be said that focuses on a war between humans and robots (or something like that), this is evident in songs like Neuromancer or Machine Revolution. There is also something I love, which is how Golden Age connects with <i>Kingdom</i>. <i>Golden Age</i> is a very melodic and relaxing instrumental song and <i>Kingdom</i> is a very fast and epic song, it is hard to explain this, you must listen to the album to see what I mean.

A thing that I do not like about this album is that the guitar riffs are very similar between the songs, and some songs are somewhat crude and little worked in harmony, replacing the melody for faster and heavier riffs approaching a little to extreme metal subgenres (such as <i>Raven</i>). In brief, what I like about this album is that it contains a great potential, and, in my opinion, that is an achievement for the band. It has several songs that demonstrate the power of this band and that shows that heavy metal is a very enjoyable musical genre (especially the Finnish and Scandinavian heavy metal).

<b>Battle Beast</b> (in my opinion) is one of the best Finnish heavy metal band and one of the best on the whole planet, and if you like this genre, you must hear this album before you die in a (horrible) way.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:24 am 

MetalMuxxer wrote:
Hi ... grammar errors ...

Hi! Grammar notes.

Because there are so many of them, I'm just going to name them where they are. That way you'll know what to fix without anyone having to do the editing for you. I recommend working with an English tutor if you're a student, or a willing friend who has a decent grasp on it. Also, use [ ] instead of < > for the embellishments.

The first thing I can say is that I think this is the best album by <b>Battle Beast</b>.(Do not bold.)

What gives this album is a very good experience of excellent heavy metal, among the 13 songs on this album, all you will find is great lyrics, great guitar solos and great riffs. The album opens with the song <i>Let it Roar</i>, (Quotation marks.)which offers an excellent introduction and a very good chorus with the energetic shouts of Noora, and that song will give you a taste of what is coming.()

The first thing I would look at, is the excellent voice of <b>Noora Louhimo</b>. (Do not bold names, either .. why would you do that?) What Noora gives us in this album is an energetic voice, especially in the choruses, and a beautiful soft voice in the slower parts. The rhythm guitar is based on strong riffs mixing those old school riffs very influenced by NWOBHM bands with power metal riffs and some influences of modern metal, and they sound really good. (Run on sentence.) The lead guitar gives us virtuous and fast guitar solos, which are a delicacy for the ears, this guy is a great shredder and loves sweep picking. (Run on sentence.) The drums are one of the examples of how a heavy metal drummer should play, (Puncuation.) quickly, accurately and with great power, the fills are completely excellent, and unlike other bands, the bass is not muted by the other instruments, to the contrary, you can feel the bass, and in some songs the bassist plays excellently and sometimes become the protagonist (such as during the verses of <i>Black Ninja</i>).(Really long run on sentence.)

Several songs have an epic introduction and that gives the energy to the song from the beginning, and some other songs have a slow first part, but they unleash a hellish power that lasts until the end of the song. (Run on sentence.) One element that I note is that in this album, the band incorporates some industrial and electronic elements (can be seen in songs like <i>Neuromancer</i> (Quotation marks.), which gives the band a touch of more originality and can attract those who are not accustomed to hearing bands like this.

The atmosphere of the songs is a combination between harmony and epic choruses, guitar riffs, and guitar solos, with a noticeable touch of futurism. Speaking about the structure of the songs, it is the common structure of most heavy metal songs, (Puncuation.) introduction, verse, chorus, verse, chorus, solo, chorus. The guitar solos are a little long, but i love that. The lyrics usually speak about fantasy, war and robots, (Puncuation.) it could be said that focuses on a war between humans and robots (or something like that), (Puncuation.) this is evident in songs like Neuromancer or Machine Revolution. (Quotation marks.) There is also something I love, (Puncuation.) which is how Golden Age connects with <i>Kingdom</i>. <i>Golden Age</i> (Quotation marks.) is a very melodic and relaxing instrumental song and <i>Kingdom</i> (Quotation marks.) is a very fast and epic song, (Puncuation.) it is hard to explain this, (Puncuation.) you must listen to the album to see what I mean.

A thing that I do not like about this album is that the guitar riffs are very similar between the songs, and some songs are somewhat crude and little worked in harmony, replacing the melody for faster and heavier riffs approaching a little to extreme metal subgenres (such as <i>Raven</i>). (Is this a band name or an album title? I can't tell.) In brief, what I like about this album is that it contains a great potential, and, in my opinion, that is an achievement for the band. It has several songs that demonstrate the power of this band and that shows that heavy metal is a very enjoyable musical genre (especially the Finnish and Scandinavian heavy metal).

<b>Battle Beast</b> (Don't bold.) (in my opinion) is one of the best Finnish heavy metal band and one of the best on the whole planet, and if you like this genre, you must hear this album before you die in a (horrible) way. (Run on sentence.)

Caleb9000
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:58 pm 

I just minorly revised a review of Spellbound (Tygers of Pan Tang), as well as changed my score from 83% to 87%. It was rejected for the reason that score reviews do not require an entire review submission. Is there some other thing that I need to do if I have only made a few minor edits throughout the review? Or was this just a misunderstanding, as I have re-submitted reviews with an updated score multiple times in the past?

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79 ... 108  Next