Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
PorcupineOfDoom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:45 pm 

This was my second review that I wrote, which naturally was rejected several times and I was told to come here to improve it as it was too track-by-track. Having published several more reviews since then, I can understand now what I was doing wrong with it (and indeed the entire review was pretty much a massive track-by-track run through). Now I've finally come around to editing it again, and I think it should be fixed this time around. If there's anything wrong with it, please let me know so that I can change it.

Quote:
Karkaos. If I was to say that name to pretty much anyone, the response I'd get would be along the lines of "Car Chaos? Is that some kind of motoring show?" Most of the people I know don't like metal and don't even know bands like Megadeth or Slayer, so of course that kind of response is to be expected. But even the most seasoned veteran in the metal world probably won't know who the band is, something that doesn't feel quite right when you're listening to the band. You might argue that there are plenty of undiscovered talents, which is a fact that, while sad, is also true. However, Karkaos just stands out as a really professional act that deserve so much better.

I don't know what exactly it was that appealed to me, but when I saw the album cover I just instantly had a good feeling about the band. Clicking the link to the song 'The Condemned', I had quite high expectations (as I generally have, which sometimes leads to disappointment as I have quite a select taste in music), and I wasn't to be let down.

The song starts off sounding quite unique with the synthesizer mixing with heavy guitar riffs and pounding drums. The vocals kick in after a few seconds, deep growls at first that soon turn into a woman singing. Generally speaking, I prefer my music to have vocals that stick to using either cleans or growls, not both, but this band was different. I don't know why, but it just was. The verses were great, the chorus was catchy. Even if the solo wasn't anything spectacular (not that I could do any better), the song as a whole was great. Honestly, I listened to the song from start to finish and then played it over again, it was just that good.

A lot of the stuff on this album pretty much goes along the same lines, with excellent use of melodic leads and some great synthesizer usage in order to create a very unique sound. The drumming is some of the fastest I've heard but never feels like it's unnecessary. Some of the solos are absolutely great as well, and even the vocals are something that I genuinely enjoy listening to. This band is definitely the real deal.

Admittedly, I didn't love every single song on the entire album. A couple of them felt a little bit off with the mix of fast drums and slow guitars, but it was actually the vocals that ruined them completely. Sometimes they just seemed a little out of place, too high for a certain section or clean when they should have been unclean (in my opinion anyway). On top of this, there are two instrumentals that only serve as intros for the songs that follow afterwards and neither of them really add to the album in anyway. If I were telling you the harsh truth, it almost seems as if they're there just to fill up some extra space on the album and make it seem as though there is more content than there actually is.

The final song, 'Eden', attempts to be an epic ending to the album. I say attempts because it doesn't quite manage it. Once again Karkaos try something different from the earlier songs on the album, but this time it's a lot slower than the other songs, the drummer finally deciding to calm down a little (although not too much, and for large portions the drums still continue at pace). The riffs are pretty good in the opening and remain solid throughout, the vocals as good as they have been for the whole album. A feature of Karkaos seems to be catchy choruses, but this one is perhaps the one that you'll remember most of all. It's just a beautiful mixture of all the best parts of the band that comes off extremely well. About the three minute mark though, the song morphs into something else (to the point that the singer almost sounds like someone else). This lasts for over a minute and a half before morphing again, unfortunately not to the epic that it started out as but instead an incredibly high-paced section that doesn't really fit in before switching back to what I actually wanted to listen to. All in all, the song just felt a little overdone. Still great, but it would have been better if it hadn't been dragged out for so long.

One of the very few bad things I have to say about Karkaos is that they do get a bit samey after a while (as you might have been able to tell by some of the descriptions, especially 'Leap of Faith' and 'Depths of Madness'). This doesn't matter too much right now because they've only released one album with only eight real songs on it (I don't really count 'Ode to La Resistance' or 'Dusk' as songs because they were both less than a minute and a half long), but this could be a problem when they've released more.

As a whole though, even if they sound a bit repetitive at points they really are an extremely underrated band. I would even go as far as to say the most underrated band I've ever heard. I would have thought they were the same kind of quality as some of the much better known bands had I not seen their lack of acknowledgement (a total of just over 3,500 likes on Facebook compared to Children of Bodom's 2.7 million). Definitely a band to watch for the future and one I'd recommend to anyone that considers themselves a fan of melodeath, or indeed a fan of metal as a whole.

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:08 am 

what strikes me most (just a personal opinion here) is that there's almost no frame of reference for your description of the music. without knowing that band i had no idea what sub-genre it was until the second-last line when you mentioned children of bodom, and even then that's a vague reference. the key word melodeath is literally one of the last words in the review. none of your descriptors (melodic, heavy, fast, slow, etc) really mean anything without even so much as an "...in the vein of..." or a "here's some melodeath" somewhere towards the top. the most i could get out of it was that there are both growled and female clean vocals. and descriptors like good and great, which you used a fair bit there, are completely useless without context.

PorcupineOfDoom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:15 pm 

Thanks for the advice, I'll try to take that onboard

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:47 pm 

Your descriptions could be better, and you have a habit of gauging everything directly against your personal taste, with little to no objectivity or ability to step back broaden the perspective. You are always saying "I don't like these sorta things, and this album is no different." and just sort of end it there, which leaves the reader sort of confused, especially if they aren't familiar with your taste. It should never be done this way. LeMiserable has/had the same problem.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

PorcupineOfDoom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:18 pm 

Okay, I'll try not to do that. In all honesty I wasn't even aware that I'd done that, but I can kind of see where you're coming from now.

CardsOfWar
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:47 am 

http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/N ... us/443490/

I'm just gonna leave this here. Feedback, criticisms, ad hominems, and enraged shouting all very much appreciated.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:41 pm 

Acceptable review, but the tone is a bit formal. You don't have to speak directly to the archivers of metal.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:48 pm 

"let’s get to describing the music, shall we?"

"Anyway, back to the music…"

:nono:
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:38 pm 

I can't put strike throughs on an accepted album, CardsOfWar. It is now forever beyond my influence of fat-trimming.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:48 pm 

Well I won't be so forgiving here:

Quote:
Hailing from Colorado, Nightbringer are, quite obviously, a black metal band. Also, quite obviously, they rather recently released an album called Ego Dominus Tuus… So, now that the most dodgy and generic introduction on this whole site is over and done with, let’s get to describing the music, shall we?

I really hate the opening paragraph, truly I do. It was and is not obvious to me that Nightbringer is a black metal band and it is also not so obvious that they released a new album. How would I know these things if I didn't know the band? Besides that in like two years it won't be so recently released now will it? Self shaming only really works for you if you're Bastard Head and your life is a giant comedy of errors, also I don't like the fact that you're trying way to hard to be funny (a point I'll revisit).

Quote:
Ego Dominus Tuus is generally called a black metal album, but in that description, I think there’s an important distinction to make; Nightbringer do not play the catchy-riff driven black metal peddled by bands like 1349 or Inquisition. Their music separates itself from conventional song structures and musical standards even further than most black metal, and could rarely (if ever) be described as hard-hitting, or ‘brutal.’ They instead create a dense, clawing atmosphere with their music, which when done poorly, can sound like a whole bunch of meandering bullshit, but when done well, (Such as in Ego Dominus Tuus’ case) has the potential to be absolutely mind-blowing.

Generally called a black metal album? Didn't it just come out like a month ago as you previously stated? How generally can it really be referred to really? Otherwise this paragraph is pretty solid.

Quote:
While Ego Dominus Tuus may not appear to be the most sonically pleasing set of noises on the first few listens...

Again I think you're trying to hard to be funny.

Quote:
The album starts which what would likely be considered by many to be pretty standard atmospheric keyboard noises. Reasonable stuff, and I like it here, but I can understand being annoyed at this small aspect of the album, especially since every fucking metal album has at least a minute of fucking synth whispers before they get into the music they’re supposed to be making! If they wanted to dick around with keyboards then they could very easily do that without taking up my very valuable metal time... goddamn hacks!

I absolutely loathe this paragraph. Every metal band ever has keyboard whispers really? REALLY? Well color me a nOOb then because I sure haven't heard them in every metal band I've ever listened to. The last sentence is just.... I don't even know... terrible I guess is the only thing I can think. This goes back to me thinking you're not funny, it feels uber forced and like you're trying way to hard to make the reader laugh which just isn't working.

Quote:
*Ahem.* Sorry.

You should be.

Quote:
Anyway, back to the music… The second track is again, pretty standard stuff from the standpoint of atmospheric orthodox-gnostic clever-sounding word worship black metal. It’s pretty great, but there’s not that much that can be said about the track beyond “It’s pretty great.” In the third track, Lantern of Eden’s Night, this album begins to come into its own. From this point on, all the grating, screaming guitar riffs (which on occasion even sound like some sort of warped violin) get under your skin and dig into your fucking bones. The songs on this album go beyond merely ‘gripping’ the listener, and decidedly begin to envelop their entire world in the chaotic glory they create. I always begin listening to this album and think, “Hey, this really ain't so great, why do I like this so much?” and then by the last track (discussed below), I’m preparing one of my brother’s pets as a sacrifice to Nightbringer.

Track by tracking is a hard pitfall to avoid if you're new to reviewing but it's best to avoid if you can. "pretty standard stuff from the standpoint of atmospheric orthodox-gnostic clever-sounding word worship black metal" that is one very precise description of the music there buddy and also just ummmm yeah kinda dumb. Why do you swear so much? You're not talking to a friend, you're writing an album review, swearing doesn't really work IMO.

Quote:
Curiously put into this album, are a couple of purely ambient/atmospheric keyboard sections. While I’ve previously ribbed upon these songs on the forums for being ‘ocean noises,’ they’re certainly interesting, and definitely add to the general ominous, ritualistic feel that Nightbringer manage to create more effectively than really anybody else.

The album ends with thirteen-minute epic, The Otherness of Being, which I think deserves special mention here. In terms of initial impressions, it was actually one of the few tracks I could really get behind; the way it builds into the triumphant vocal roar of, “Answer my call,” as a hypnotic and sinister guitar line builds in the background, before fading into feebly quiet rumbling (not used negatively) tells the listener that Nightbringer have truly said everything they want to with Ego Dominus Tuus, and manages to somehow close the album out in a glorious crescendo, without sacrificing any of the borderline-inhuman dirge that Nightbringer have built up over the course of their masterpiece.

This stuff is kosher.

Quote:
In short: (for the borderline-illiterate MA users/those that just scanned to the end) Ego Dominus Tuus is an evil, experimental, and sometimes even beautiful album that digs into the coldest depths of what makes black metal great to spawn a masterpiece that deserves to be remembered by the ages, and heard by every fan of the genre. (Though it probably won’t be)

Thanks for insulting the general populous, dick, again trying way to hard to be funny (and failing).

Quote:
Recommended for: everybody with ears, a brain, the ability to produce endorphins upon hearing awesome stuff, and the ability to sit still and concentrate on something for longer than an hour.

Thanks for reading, archivers of metal. CardsOfWar out.

Again, not funny. I think you need to find your own style and stop trying to force out the funny. It just feels odd and forced man and I don't like it.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

CardsOfWar
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:41 pm 

Wow, that was...scathing. Anyway, thanks for the feedback, I'll try to work on the stuff you mentioned.

On the synth whispers thing though, have you really not heard keyboard-based introductions on a lot of metal albums? Obviously it's not all, but it seems enough of a popular thing to be worth mentioning.

In the introduction paragraph, to be honest, I just didn't know how to start the review, so I had to go with the stupid crap I ended up going with. I thought it was pretty shitty as well, and the bit of self-reference was just a pathetic attempt from me to excuse the shittiness. I do think that 90% of the people reading that review would know that Nightbringer are a black metal band, however, as most people reading that review would have navigated through the artist and album pages leading to it.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:31 pm 

Harsh, but I can't say that I disagree with the substance of Erosion's critique. To me the review reads like a mediocre first draft with lots of stylistic issues that we could have helped you with if you'd put it up here for constructive feedback first. But too late .. it was submitted and accepted which opens it up to exactly what it garnered.

Last edited by Grave_Wyrm on Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:42 pm 

If you are having that much trouble 'opening' a review do it the 'ol Ozzyapu way and just start the review like you are halfway into a thought or analysis. It actually can work really well if you time it correctly. Otherwise, laying a little bit of RELEVANT backstory is a pretty safe bet.

Last.fm

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:45 pm 

I know I sound like a dick there but Grave_Wyrm is right and if you had put it up for critiquing before submitting I would have been far less scathing. Either way it made it on the site and it's here now for better or worse.

And sure most people reading the review would know the band and know their style but that wasn't my point. My point was if you're going to reiterate what genre they play in the review don't just assume we all know what it is. Infact assume we know nothing about said band. Who knows maybe someone was just looking at recent reviews and clicks on yours. I woukd say keep things like that in mind whilst writing them.

It's also a good idea to read your own review (preferably aloud) before submitting finale draft just to make sure it sounds ok and flows well. I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say if you had done that you probably would have done some editing before submitting it.

Azmodes wrote:

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:53 pm 

For the record, I am the one that accepted it. It does a suitable job at describing the music, despite teetering on track-by-track near the middle for a moment and rambling here and there. Honestly, I would have rejected it for the formatting before the content if my arm was twisted.

Last.fm

CardsOfWar
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:55 pm 

Grave_Wyrm wrote:
Harsh, but I can't say that I disagree with the substance of Erosion's critique. To me the review reads like a mediocre first draft with lots of stylistic issues that we could have helped you with if you'd put it up here for constructive feedback first. But too late .. it was submitted and accepted which opens it up to exactly what it garnered.

Yeah, fair enough. I was never disputing the main body of the criticism or anything, and I still appreciate the feedback very much.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:14 am 

Diamhea wrote:
For the record, I am the one that accepted it. It does a suitable job at describing the music, despite teetering on track-by-track near the middle for a moment and rambling here and there. Honestly, I would have rejected it for the formatting before the content if my arm was twisted.

...that's not your arm?

:oh shit:

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:21 am 

Diamhea wrote:
If you are having that much trouble 'opening' a review do it the 'ol Ozzyapu way and just start the review like you are halfway into a thought or analysis. It actually can work really well if you time it correctly. Otherwise, laying a little bit of RELEVANT backstory is a pretty safe bet.

:lol: thanks man. Someone still remembers how I barreled into an opening.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:19 am 

Just do it like an essay for school. Write the middle part, then stick "This album is good/bad because of: whatever you said in the middle." and at the end add "Therefor, this album is good/bad as I have shown."

LeMiserable
Milhouse van Houten

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:49 am 

Just write bullshit to express your opinion, as long as it's good bullshit.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:01 pm 

LeMiserable wrote:

The only way this is not crap advice is if your opinions are themselves bullshit.

Erosion of Humanity wrote:
if you're going to reiterate what genre they play in the review don't just assume we all know what it is. Infact assume we know nothing about said band. Who knows maybe someone was just looking at recent reviews and clicks on yours. I woukd say keep things like that in mind whilst writing them.

It's also a good idea to read your own review (preferably aloud) before submitting finale draft

This, on the other hand, is good advice, CardsOfWar.

It's easy enough to cover your bases quickly with, for instance, "Colorado black metal outfit" or some such terse summary. People who know already aren't having to suffer drudgerous historical sprawl, and people who don't know (like me) can be satisfied with the basics. As the author you don't actually have to worry about about who knows what. That isn't your job. Offer a brief history of the band, an introduction and context to the album, your opinions and personal insights. That's the standard skeleton, but variance is the spice of nerd.

"Personal reflection" can range anywhere from a few quick notes to an extended thesis. Both are fine, essentially, but each can be painfully lacking. It just depends on how much you know about the subject, how much you feel like writing, and how good your writing is. failsafeman's substantial Crimson Glory diad is one of my favorite examples of how virtually scholastic reviews can be enjoyable reads. TheStormIRide tends to write pretty short reviews that are good examples of getting the relevant points across and getting on with your day without falling into cookie-cutter mode. Ilwhyan's are somewhere in between. There's a wide spectrum between utility and creativity, and quality is based on more than one or two factor (experience eventually becoming one of the major ones).

Humor can be a dodgy thing. Erosion's sense of humor despised your jokes. Mine found them half-baked/off target fodder for The Red Pen, but ultimately inoffensive. There are no hard lines there, so don't over think it. Despite how funny you might find the reckless irreverence of some writers, being funny can quickly detract from a review. If it distracts or, worse, doesn't make a reasonably useful point regarding your position, probably better to just chuckle to yourself, say "Good one, me," and leave it out. Of course, there's always the "give the square the finger" attitude, and I don't mean to stifle or censor, but it's a gamble worth a note of caution.

And yes, as John_Sunlight said succinctly, the review should follow a familiar logic, if not a rigidly formal one, similar to an essay.

Ethos, logos, pathos: tried and true baselines for well-rounded standards of quality.

LeMiserable
Milhouse van Houten

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:22 pm 

Grave_Wyrm wrote:
LeMiserable wrote:

The only way this is not crap advice is if your opinions are themselves bullshit.

Sorry for being unclear, what I meant is that you should really try to fill up your review with "good bullshit". And I'm not talking about opinions, I'm talking about filler, autothrall does this like a fucking pro, just writes some totally random things that just work because they are either funny, smart or just really well-timed.

Stripping down a review to just the opinion makes it agonizing, painful and boring to read, some less on-topic things written around it are basically necessary to make a review readable.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:30 pm 

Autothrall is just really good at skirting around the subject most of the time, avoiding going into any accretion of depth when he can get away with it. You can see a real difference between albums he truly has some history with and the quick and cheerful 3-paragraph numbers.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:06 pm 

When recommending improvement techniques to a young man starting out, I'm going to go strong with "don't rely on bullshit."

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:14 pm 

+1

Azmodes wrote:

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:17 pm 

LeMiserable wrote:
Sorry for being unclear, what I meant is that you should really try to fill up your review with "good bullshit". And I'm not talking about opinions, I'm talking about filler, autothrall does this like a fucking pro, just writes some totally random things that just work because they are either funny, smart or just really well-timed.

This is terrible advice - almost nothing a reviewer as pro as autothrall does is "random"...that's kind of a silly thing to say. Especially because it implies you need to try and be goofy, fill up your review with humor attempts or whatever else. What you're trying to get across is that you just like good writing in reviews, which doesn't exactly need to be said.

I agree with what Erosion wrote. My recommendation, and I speak from experience, is don't try too hard to be witty or make a joke in every paragraph. If you're really funny, it'll come naturally, and if not then you'll just learn to write better without doing that. I'm sure you'll improve with time.

CardsOfWar
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:49 am 

I didn't check this thread for a couple of days, and so much really great advice has accumulated. Thanks very much people!

I'll certainly quit it with the dumbass jokes in any future reviews I write.

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:04 am 

Empyreal wrote:
LeMiserable wrote:

This is terrible advice - almost nothing a reviewer as pro as autothrall does is "random"...that's kind of a silly thing to say. Especially because it implies you need to try and be goofy, fill up your review with humor attempts or whatever else. What you're trying to get across is that you just like good writing in reviews, which doesn't exactly need to be said.

I agree with what Erosion wrote. My recommendation, and I speak from experience, is don't try too hard to be witty or make a joke in every paragraph. If you're really funny, it'll come naturally, and if not then you'll just learn to write better without doing that. I'm sure you'll improve with time.

Personally speaking I can't stand reviews that go off on a tangent. When did getting to the point and being concise become a bad thing? Also throwing in a bunch of vague analogies isn't funny, it's the opposite, and I've seen a bunch of these.

I agree with what Empyreal has said, don't try to be funny with every second sentence. To write a good review you should be informative, use good comparisons and descriptions of the music that is easily understandable and what most people will get, and most importantly be quick to the point. I think humour should be a secondary concern.

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:45 am 

CardsOfWar wrote:

mate i wouldn't call it quits with the jokes... there's only one way to get better at them, and that's to keep at it. there are LOTS of reviews on this site that try to be funny and fail, so it's not like your bad jokes will be singled out. besides, half this lot wouldn't know a joke if they fell over it.

CardsOfWar
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:11 am 

volutetheswarth wrote:
I agree with what Empyreal has said, don't try to be funny with every second sentence. To write a good review you should be informative, use good comparisons and descriptions of the music that is easily understandable and what most people will get, and most importantly be quick to the point. I think humour should be a secondary concern.

The initial reason I put the humour in the review was an attempt to make it a compelling read, as opposed to a raw uninteresting description of the music. Obviously, it didn't work so well, and ended up seeming like more of a dodgy Uncyclopedia article than a compelling read. I do, however, still feel that as a writer, my primary goal should be to write something gripping, or at least somewhat entertaining for someone to read. Other than dodgy humour, does anybody have any suggestions as to how I can create a semi-compelling piece without breaking the 'flow' of my description of the music?

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:21 am 

Well, you can use jokes, sure. Just don't force them into every paragraph if they don't need to be. It's not to say don't ever joke; just read over your review and cut out obvious humor just put in as filler, like using *ahem* or saying things like "CardsofWar out" at the end of the review.

While it's just my opinion, this joke didn't work:

Quote:
since every fucking metal album has at least a minute of fucking synth whispers before they get into the music they’re supposed to be making! If they wanted to dick around with keyboards then they could very easily do that without taking up my very valuable metal time... goddamn hacks!

*Ahem.* Sorry.

But this one was okay:

Quote:
The songs on this album go beyond merely ‘gripping’ the listener, and decidedly begin to envelop their entire world in the chaotic glory they create. I always begin listening to this album and think, “Hey, this really ain't so great, why do I like this so much?” and then by the last track (discussed below), I’m preparing one of my brother’s pets as a sacrifice to Nightbringer.

My suggestion is don't focus on writing the jokes or eye-catching bits first; just describe the music. You'll get better at both joke-writing and music description if you keep practicing, that's really all there is to it.

LeMiserable
Milhouse van Houten

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:50 am 

You'll want your review to be either funny or indeed eye-catching as mentioned before. They don't HAVE to be and for novice reviewers it's advised limiting the jokeload to a minimum to avoid turning the review into a pretentious wall of paragraphs that thrives on its stunning ability to NOT be funny while it contains 7 jokes-a-paragraph.

I'm certainly not the best reviewer on the site (though I feel I've been getting better lately), and perhaps not the one supposed to be giving advices, but what I've also noticed is that it's advised to stay within the theme of the album, you can talk of "fucking whickedly awesome weedly-doo riffs" on an Iron Maiden album, but I feel that would miss the point entirely.

Also, a personal tip: Don't review an album with a genre you don't like and then shoot it down for "not being my thing". I guess opinions are divided on this thing, but I honestly can't stand watching it.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:56 am 

LeMiserable wrote:
You'll want your review to be either funny or indeed eye-catching as mentioned before.

That's the opposite of what was said before,

Quote:
I'm certainly not the best reviewer on the site (though I feel I've been getting better lately), and perhaps not the one supposed to be giving advices,

Damn right...

LeMiserable
Milhouse van Houten

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:58 am 

Empyreal wrote:
LeMiserable wrote:
You'll want your review to be either funny or indeed eye-catching as mentioned before.

That's the opposite of what was said before,

Quote:
I'm certainly not the best reviewer on the site (though I feel I've been getting better lately), and perhaps not the one supposed to be giving advices,

Damn right...

Uhh, well...I think it would be very much great for a review to be eye-catching. It's what makes reviews good to read, and like I said, being funny is optional, and perhaps it's not advised for newbie's to try and be as such, but it can make reviews better if done properly.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:46 am 

Empyreal wrote:
LeMiserable wrote:

Damn right...

Yeah I'm gonna have to side with Emp on this one. It's been some time since I've read any of your reviews so I just went through some. Did not enjoy them and quite honestly found them to be dense and boring, like a terrible book you have to read for class, I struggled to make it but alas I trudged forward. The words are heavy but lack much meaning. ABC checklist reviews are incredibly boring and I can't even count the number of time you say "I" in your reviews. Yes for the love of all that is holy we know it's your opinion, IT'S YOUR FUCKING REVIEW, we don't need you to keep reminding us whose opinion is being expressed ever other sentence.

Azmodes wrote:

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:07 am 

CardsOfWar wrote:
I didn't check this thread for a couple of days, and so much really great advice has accumulated. Thanks very much people!

Yeah, don't stop. You'll get better.

Last.fm

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:05 pm 

Basically what everybody is trying to say in so many words is "play to your strengths". Autothrall is good with straight description (at least on classic, well established albums. He's a bit dodgier with new releases that he cranks out for obligation), Liquid_Braino is good at flat out comedy, caspian is good at being very conversational and informal while oneyoudontknow is good at being the exact opposite and writing college dissertations on everything. People like MutantClannfear are good at imaginative and striking description while throwing in a joke every once in a while, while Napero is good at keeping it compelling no matter what angle he takes (most famously a more comedic or gimmicky one, but he also has a lot of knowledge to drop most of the time), and then OlympicSharpShooter is one of the few really old school reviewers who wrote extremely readable stuff that was always entertaining and informative. He's basically a treasure (clearly I'm in love).

So yes, listen to what everybody is saying but try to remember that there are no hard rules when it comes to the style with which you write. You're just in that awkward early stage where you don't really have it pegged down yet, everybody goes through it. Take the criticism seriously and just try to figure out what works best for you. Basically just keep trying, keep listening, keep adapting. You'll find your voice eventually.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:07 pm 

^

Oh and don't listen to anything LeMiserable has to say.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:56 am 

Don't have time to read much lately as my internet lenient job just got nazified for the time being... I'm not one to judge as I know my own writing had plenty of flaws from punctuation to lack of proper musical terminology but overall I thought CardsOfWar had a decent first review. Having heard the album what he said made sense to me and reflected similar feelings I had about it. Also most people reading that should know that they are a black metal band but if not the opening paragraph still tells you that in its own way. The point about the keyboards in metal is more than valid in black metal at least... If I could get all the time back that I've spent listening to "spooky ominous" intro and ambient songs just wondering if they turned into real songs, it would probably still be 2012.

CoW, if you enjoy this type of music and feel like writing reviews then keep it up, a lot of people like reading stuff that isn't gobbled up by the masses.

P.S. Thanks for re-approving my last review Diamhea, just had to delete 1 overlooked word. I never liked how my original writing turned out so I saved it as a draft for months and just rewrote the entire thing in 1 free flow session. If you guys want to read it and crucify me upside down go ahead :) might be my last one for awhile.

oneyoudontknow
Cum insantientibus furere necesse est.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:22 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
while oneyoudontknow is good at being the exact opposite and writing college dissertations on everything

I am bloody German, what do you expect?

Aside from this, I have this thing stuck in the queue for a while:
Spoiler: show
Bergthron – Durch den Nebel der Finsternis

Through the fog of darkness...

… the band has apparently lost their way and reached a bland boring spot of the black metal scene. There was much crying and moaning, but even though Bergthron were unable to image otherwise, they thought it would be best to record their music nonetheless. Some idiot might have some spare change for those recently liberated people of East-Germany. But when the band looked around, they saw mighty other bands and artists and projects, whose glory and magnificence seemed to reach for the skies. So what to do, thought the band. Again, much crying and lamenting, but then they realized that it would be possible to find a way still. Instead of composing music like everyone else did it, with structures and build-ups that made some sense, there would only be one long track and this one would have a confusing set of segments. Alas, there was finally the illusion of the rebellious spirit of the origins of the black metal scene running through their veins and therefore still a chance to become part of the grandeur of it all. Armed with nothing but a vain hope and and some instruments, those brave four musicians moved out to fight against false music, like Rednex, The Kelly Family and Take That. Music their sister had tormented them with day in and day out. They would show her.

… this path lead to black metal trveism – a “v” for extra trveness – and to a space at the outer skirts of the scene. Ah, how wonderful a sight revealed itself to them. A gigantic forest of unimportant bands – old and new – of the past, the present and the future – stood there in all its pristine, unscathed manner. A place no false person has already laid hands upon. It all looked alike, they did not bother about this. In the background there still loomed the gigantic artists and all their grandeur, but Bergthron did not had to care about them any more. Yes, there were free … free to do whatever they liked and wanted to do. Here, in this very spot that they had reached they could play their very own type of black metal. Black metal with distorted fuzzy guitars, confusing arrangements, timing problems, a bad production and vocals no one would actually give a shit about. There was much rejoicing and hugging, but as it turned late and dark, not to mention that their mommy’s were far away and therefore also the chance of the warmth and cosiness of their cellar or basement, panic took over their spirit. Thence they ran around muddleheaded, until they hit a wall and realized it was a castle. Immediately they made a picture, because this would be on the cover artwork for their demo tape release. Black and white as well as badly Xeroxed – all for the trvveness – now with two “v”'s because you cannot possible have enough of these.

… and then they entered this lonely place and recorded in this very spot their first magnificent release. Yes, you could hear the inarticulate screams of the vocalist and the indistinguishable plucking of the strings of the guitar. Ah, how wonderfully long they played along, while they had no idea what to do next. But then they decided, similar to god in the creation of the world, let there be something new and then there was something new. Let there be keyboards and nothing else they screamed and then there were keyboards and nothing else. How wonderfully they danced in circles and hugged themselves. Yet, why not go out on the towers of the castle, they thought. From there they could look down to all those unworthy other bands, whose works lack this epic trvvveness – three times is half the six. Who cares about what had been done in the past? Who needs those well crafted release of the established artists? Bergthron … what a wonderful name they thought. From up there on the highest spot of it all, they could look down to all other ones. They decided to be on par with all those mighty mountains, those artists who were actually capable of good song-writing.

… and then the sound of hysteric screams reached their ears, which they attributed to their playing, their grandeur and their innovative means. Some people, the members of Bergthron had apparently forgotten their thickly rimmed glasses and could not examine what was going on clearly, were doing something in an open spot in the forest. They, Bergthron, newly established sovereign of these lands, decided momentarily that they would tell them. They would sing them a song, sing to them in German a text that sounds like it had been taken from a Children's book. Luckily, they rejoiced, in the inner yard of the castle there were a couple of tricycles – this time no “v”, but still three wheels, so again half way to the six – and they drove like mad into the world outside of their new homestead. Drove towards those folks over there. It felt they were driving into the past. Towards their long lost girl friends, who had abandoned them, because they could not stand their strange smell and stupid shirts. Now, as grandmasters of black metal, as kings of all black metal bands, they would show them … They would drive through their own realm of darkness and into the light. Towards those days in which Christianity still conquered their hearts and beautiful girls were holding their arms. It is to there that they would take their newly gained spirit …

I just would like to have some comment on it. The album is such annyoing and tiring.

My website which contains reviews as well as interviews:
https://adsol.oneyoudontknow.com
My podcast:
https://adsolmag.bandcamp.com/

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61 ... 108  Next