Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:15 pm 

SweetLeaf95 wrote:
So that review I submitted like four days ago, is that just gonna sit in the "pending" status forever?

*click* You have reached The Review Feedback Workshop. Because we are a writing lab, we are not accepting this type of submission at the moment. Please return to the directory for the relevant extension. Thank you. *shkik*

Antioch
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:22 pm 

:lol:

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:38 pm 

Sorry, i havent the time or motivation to slog through the queue, which is extremely backlogged as a result.

Plus, there has been a stramge influx of plagiarists lately. This slows thimgs down because i have to reaearch submissions to make sure.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:53 pm 

Also that Kreator review is from a trusted Scribe, so he bypasses the review queue anyway.

I have a half day off today so I'll try to do some work on the queue. Looks like it genuinely is pretty backlogged, similar to how it was in the pre-Zodi/Dia days. You newer guys may not remember the time before those two reached modship but they are seriously queue crushing behemoths. When they both take some time off it slows down noticeably. I'll try to pick up some of the slack for ya.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

TrooperEd
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:46 pm 

Thanks for your feedback on my Paranoid review. The reason that review turned out the way it was...while you are right that a writer should assume that the reader has no clue what the album sounds like, I figured the last thing the mods would want to do for a popular album would be to read the same exact musical description over and over again.
I didn't know children book fans were so angry.

Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:52 pm 

Plagued wrote:
SweetLeaf95 wrote:
So that review I submitted like four days ago, is that just gonna sit in the "pending" status forever? It can't be that backed up if there's a review for an album that was just released today (Gods Of Violence).

If this is mini-modding then please delete it!

Reviews can take some time to be either rejected or approved especially those for albums of big name bands like Kreator in this case. Also, the album has only been released today, so I don't think that it will be considered earlier than that, especially not if you have written a review prior to the album's actual release date. Plus, the mods probably have to deal with a lot of people that have submitted a review for this particular album.

Bro, that's not the one I reviewed, it was just the example I used as one released today that already has a review. However I wasn't aware that the writer of that review has the trusted bypass, so I apologize. Thank you, Diam and BH.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:03 pm 

TrooperEd wrote:
Thanks for your feedback on my Paranoid review. The reason that review turned out the way it was...while you are right that a writer should assume that the reader has no clue what the album sounds like, I figured the last thing the mods would want to do for a popular album would be to read the same exact musical description over and over again.

Yeah like I said, the tertiary bits you focus on are really refreshing to read from a moderator perspective, but you still need to focus on the album itself rather than things like the tuning and influences in the drumming specifically. There's a good review in there but you need to beef up the actual meat.

EDIT: Okay my eyes are starting to hurt from reading so many reviews in a row so I'm gonna take a break. I cut the queue down in half but it's still ten days behind, jeez.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:12 pm 

True and honest question here this time:

I recently had a review of an EP rejected because at the bottom, I basically ranked the tracks since there's only 5. I don't typically do that, but lately I've seen people do similar things, like have a "pros/cons" list, or a "favorite tracks" list at the bottom, so I tried something new. I totally get why that was rejected, and I fixed it and won't do that again. However, the other things I just mentioned, is that frowned upon as well?

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:22 pm 

Generally yes, and I personally reject any review that does it because if you can't elucidate which songs are the best or what the good and bad parts of the album are within the review itself, there's no reason to be reviewing. I'll let slide something like "Highlights: Invasion of the Booty Snatchers, Assholevania" if the rest of the review is good, but clear cut pros and cons or individual song ratings are completely pointless and invalidate everything else written above them, since I could theoretically skip the whole review and get the whole idea with a few bulletpoints. It's like tacking your outline on the end of a school essay.

HELLCOMMANDO
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:22 am 

Hi guys. I'd appreciate some feedback from you 'bout this review. Thanx!

Genuflexión "Animal Religioso" - “A solid and impressive debut” - 87%

Genuflexión maybe sound as an unknown entity even for those who are into the South American Black Metal scene. However, this new band has quickly gained recognition and respect not only because of the positive feedback that their debut “Animal Religioso” got, but also because of the fact that the band is formed by veteran members of the scene, who have played in significant Black Metal hordes such as Grima Morstua, Gevurahel, Windfall, Espiritismo among others.
About the album in question, I could start by saying that “Animal Religioso” is Black Metal in its pure vein, with songs portrayed similarly to the ones which can be found in Grima Morstua’s final opus, yet in Genuflexion I can feel a more personal emphasis in the riffs, which can be described as melodic, intricate, highly emotional and cold, reminding me of the Ukranian gods of atmospheric Black Metal; Drudkh.
The vocals succeed in providing harshness and grimness and if you speak Spanish you’ll be able to understand the lyrics, whose approach seems to be most spiritual, dealing with topics such as the deification of the human being, the true nature of our beliefs and gods, etc, showing a deep understanding of them.
The drum work, done by Funeris ( an experienced warrior also member of Windfall, Artes Negras and Horda Profana) is tight and accurate, in every song he introduces the necessary fills and arrangements which can be heard thanks to a production that is massive and clear, allowing the listener to follow each instrument separately, something not very common when it comes to Black Metal.
To sum up, Animal Religioso is a great debut album which places Genuflexión among the most interesting current bands of the genre.
Highlights: “A imagen y semejanza de mis necesidades”, “Esclavo en Templos interiores”, “Universo mental”.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:08 am 

HELLCOMMANDO wrote:
Genuflexión "Animal Religioso" - “A solid and impressive debut” - 87%

Notes in spoiler.

Spoiler: show
First, formatting: separate your paragraphs, album titles get italicized, song titles get quotations

Genuflexión maybe sound as an unknown entity even for those who are into the South American Black Metal scene. However, this new band has quickly gained recognition and respect not only because of the positive feedback that their debut “Animal Religioso” (Formatting) got, but also because of the fact that the band is formed by veteran members of the scene, who have played in significant Black Metal hordes such as Grima Morstua, Gevurahel, Windfall, Espiritismo among others. (Second sentence too long for own good.)
About the album in question, I could start by saying that (Not necessary) “Animal Religioso” is Black Metal :nazi: ("black metal" is not a proper noun like a band name is, so it doesn't need capitalization. Like "pink toilet") in its pure vein, with songs portrayed similarly to the ones which can be found in Grima Morstua’s final opus, yet in Genuflexion I can feel a more personal emphasis in the riffs, which can be described as melodic, intricate, highly emotional and cold, reminding me of the Ukranian gods of atmospheric Black Metal; Drudkh. :nazi: (Misuse of semi-colon. Pretty sure it should be a comma, but that should be looked up. Also, a very long run-on sentence)
The vocals succeed in providing harshness and grimness and if you speak Spanish you’ll be able to understand the lyrics, whose approach seems to be most spiritual, dealing with topics such as the deification of the human being, the true nature of our beliefs and gods, etc, showing a deep understanding of them. :nazi: (One sentence isn't a paragraph, and this one is a run-on.)
The drum work, done by Funeris (an experienced warrior also member of Windfall, Artes Negras and Horda Profana) is tight and accurate, in :nazi: (Sentence break) every song he introduces the necessary fills and arrangements which can be heard thanks to a production that is massive and clear, allowing the listener to follow each instrument separately, something not very common when it comes to Black Metal (Rephrase for clarity).
To sum up, Animal Religioso is a great debut album which ("that") places Genuflexión among the most interesting current bands of the genre.
Highlights: “A imagen y semejanza de mis necesidades”, “Esclavo en Templos interiores”, “Universo mental”.

(It's off to a decent start. A straightforward, spare review hitting the minimum points of interest pretty well. Clean up the formatting, simplify the sentence structure and grammar. Please repost new draft here before submitting.)

HELLCOMMANDO
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:12 pm 

Thanx a lot 'bro for your enormous help!!

IanThrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:19 pm 

Hi guys, I'd really appreciate some feedback on this review. Thanks in advance!

The Evil Dead - Earth Inferno (2017)

The Evil Dead is a strange creature. Not because their music is overtly out there, nor because they consciously try to weirden up their sound, what’s strange is the way that their vastly different influences mash together so seamlessly. Imagine a band playing Blackfoot songs while using Jon Nodtveidt’s chords and Blue Oyster Cult's melodies, kinda hard to pull off, huh? “Earth Inferno” is one of those rare cases when the concept doesn’t look promising on paper but its really fucking good in execution.

This album feels like a natural step up from their previous work, “Pronounced (the Evil) Dead”, which became a personal favorite. The influences are the same but the way they are used is different, this time we got much more expansive songs that have a sense of grandeur, a lot (and I mean it) of riffs and off beat time signatures. Both the production and the scope of the compositions have improved.

The album starts with “Earth Inferno” and its black metal opening, soon we have the first blast beats accompanied by some really neat twin guitars. Tough the album explores many different genres (for example, the second track “Electric Evil Revisited” is a bluesy heavy metal opus and “Forlorn” sometimes feels like a mix of Megadeth, Maiden and Dissection) the focus remains the same: good hooks and lots of groove. The songs may get darker and faster, but the big and explosive chorus are almost mandatory.

One of my favorite things about this album is the way that it takes inspiration from different sources but avoids being overtly referential, this is not a work of nostalgia nor old school masturbation. There is sincerity within the songs crafted by Ian and Michel Regueiro. “Maragnon” might as well be a lost BOC track with its hard rocking, minor scale riffs and historical lyrics, but it definitely sounds like The Evil Dead and not like a tribute band.

Talking about lyrics, there are a handful of really interesting things in here. Ranging from personal struggles (“The Sulfur Heart”, my absolute favorite track) to outer space deities, from mythological heroes drenched in blood to infernal overlords trapped in the mortal realms of our planet. The Evil Dead’s vocalist and main lyricist Alejandro Regueiro has a knack for mysterious lyrics that tackle very specific topics without being sickeningly explanatory or self indulgent.

“Earth Inferno” is filled to the brim with heavy metal’s ultimate and irreducible element: great riffs. That’s it, that’s the be-all-end-all factor in the realms of distorted music. Of course there are a lot of great solos, twin guitar arrangements and muti-layered leads that spice things up, but these guys understood what truly matters when it comes to heavy metal. As I said at the beginning of this review, The Evil Dead is a strange creature. I have to be honest, for a moment I thought the creature was deceased, but as Hunter S. Thompson once wrote, they just might be “A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die." Go get this album.

Dude: If you tour, will you bring out other musicians? Use tapes? Clone yourselves?

Fenriz: I am up for cloning, but with less tinnitus and more chest hair, please.

Film reviews and rants for all ye' spanish speaking basterds

Tanuki
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:58 pm 

Nice review, very descriptive and had some good personal flair to it!

Grammar/spelling issues are bolded, fragmented or run-on sentences have been rearranged and underlined, and remember that album titles are italicized.

The Evil Dead is a strange creature, not because their music is overtly out there, nor because they consciously try to weirden up their sound. What's strange is the way that their vastly different influences mash together so seamlessly. Imagine a band playing Blackfoot songs while using Jon Nodtveidt’s chords and Blue Oyster Cult's melodies. Kinda hard to pull off, huh? Earth Inferno is one of those rare cases when the concept doesn’t look promising on paper but is really fucking good in execution.

This album feels like a natural step up from their previous work, Pronounced (the Evil) Dead, which became a personal favorite. The influences are the same but the way they are used is different. This time we got much more expansive songs that have a sense of grandeur, a lot (and I mean it) of riffs, and offbeat time signatures. Both the production and the scope of the compositions have improved.

The album starts with “Earth Inferno” and its black metal opening. Soon we have the first blast beats accompanied by some really neat twin guitars. Though the album explores many different genres (for example, the second track “Electric Evil Revisited” is a bluesy heavy metal opus and “Forlorn” sometimes feels like a mix of Megadeth, Maiden and Dissection) the focus remains the same: good hooks and lots of groove. The songs may get darker and faster, but the big and explosive chorus is almost mandatory.

One of my favorite things about this album is the way that it takes inspiration from different sources but avoids being overtly referential. This is not a work of nostalgia nor old school masturbation. There is sincerity within the songs crafted by Ian and Michel Regueiro. “Maragnon” might as well be a lost BOC track with its hard rocking, minor scale riffs and historical lyrics, but it definitely sounds like The Evil Dead and not like a tribute band.

Talking about lyrics, there are a handful of really interesting things in here. Ranging from personal struggles (“The Sulfur Heart”, my absolute favorite track) to outer space deities, from mythological heroes drenched in blood to infernal overlords trapped in the mortal realms of our planet. (Incomplete sentence, consider revising) The Evil Dead’s vocalist and main lyricist Alejandro Regueiro has a knack for mysterious lyrics that tackle very specific topics without being sickeningly explanatory or self indulgent.

Earth Inferno is filled to the brim with heavy metal’s ultimate and irreducible element: great riffs. That’s it - the be all, end all factor in the realm of distorted music. Of course there are a lot of great solos, twin guitar arrangements and multi-layered leads that spice things up, but these guys understood what truly matters when it comes to heavy metal. As I said at the beginning of this review, The Evil Dead is a strange creature. I have to be honest: for a moment I thought the creature was deceased. But as Hunter S. Thompson once wrote, they just might be “A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die." Go get this album.

IanThrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:54 pm 

Thank you very much for your help Tanuki, I really have to work on fragmented or run on sentences. I arranged the mistakes and submitted the review :D

Dude: If you tour, will you bring out other musicians? Use tapes? Clone yourselves?

Fenriz: I am up for cloning, but with less tinnitus and more chest hair, please.

Film reviews and rants for all ye' spanish speaking basterds

QuickNick
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:49 pm 

Cool review and another awesome release by the brewmistress!

Tanuki
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:38 pm 

IanThrash wrote:
Thank you very much for your help Tanuki, I really have to work on fragmented or run on sentences. I arranged the mistakes and submitted the review :D

Happy to help! Congrats on getting your review approved :)

Waldkauz
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:32 am 

Hey,

need some help with this one, since it was rejected..

Quote:
The long-awaited second album of <b>Rostorchester</b> going by the name <i>Verdorbenheit</i> (roughly translated: depravity) is truly something unique, yet something one might expect when seeing the band's formation past. The opening <i>Operation Miranda</i> does not prepare the listener for what follows: organized chaos with harmonies one wouldn't expect in the beginning. I really thought a lot about this record and it really surpasses all expectations. I mean I had expectations, but who could believe that those expectations were surpassed. Of course, looking at the other projects of the members of this band, one might glimpse how this record could be before actually listening to it, but don't be fooled.

Verdorbenheit shows us, while both members already defined "their" style through various other projects, that one thing about black metal that never disappoints - the alchemy two individuals can bring to the table. Well, how does it sound like? Nothing is buried here, the melodic riffs by Antimessiah alone are worth listening to this album. I mean what can you expect from someone mastering his own style through all those years. To be honest it's still minimal and kinda repetitve, but that's what you are here for: RIFF-GEWITTER.

But tldr; for everyone who wants to know: Imagine fast and melodic Black Metal with stomping but yet furiously marching drums.
Take the best from <b>Eisenwinter</b> and the best from <b>Totale Vernichtung</b> and you get what you deserve. One of the best music releases of 2016.
The production is also top-notch. This isn't just a new LP by one of your loved bands, this is really something unique. No review can do justice to something that you need to listen to fully grasp all its atmosphere and greatness. I really can't recommend this one enough, hence why I couldn't review this the normal way.

Favourite song: "Der Mondgedankensang"
One tip for your listening pleasure: Hear this at max volume, it really shines this way.

Hate_Kommander
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:42 pm 

They are labeled as 'The Most Hated Band' here in the Philippines but for Paganfire they are proud of it, so am I as their fan and supporter. I've always been a huge fan of their music, style, and musicality. They've always been proud of what they are and in what they are doing as a Thrash Metal band. So highly successful in the underground metal scene for over 10 years, they are a death arrow and a feared band in the Filipino Underground Metal Community.

The sound of the songs here in the Mabangis! Marahas! Demo 2004 are recorded totally raw, this includes palm-muted chainsaw guitar, aggressive riffing, ripping thrashing leads, motorhead bass line picking style, fast paced precise thrashed beat drums, and along with a bit of technicality. The vocal style in this demo came out naturally and is recorded dry with no wet signals such as a delay and reverb but still screaming over the listeners dreadfully and you might always hear screeches in the Choruses as well. All of the songs in this demo are heavily influenced by Slayer, Metallica, and Sodom which they also listed them as their main influences / inspirations in their musical style. The Lyrical theme is usually in a firebrand style, it always speaks out the negativity of Politics, War, Absolute Rebellion, the Dark Side of Reality and Alcohol styled theme which I also enjoyed most as a fan and additionally, the lyrics are sometimes egoistic in nature. Most of the messages speaks out entirely all through out their songs straight to your heart and it is all about Poser Blasting. Paganfire is all about 'Anti-Poseur' stuffs and it is their main idea as a concept since the beginning and it is their nature as a band so they have no remorse, no regrets just like the message of 'No Remorse' by Metallica which they also covered and gave tribute here in the demo. Their extremity always gave riots during live events hehe!

The Production is good. The Atmosphere is absolutely very aggressive and it will give you the syndrome to play it again and again and agian along with the mood that lets you bang your head as much harder as you could. Structure wise is a bit complex, so many riffs that are jumping and running around inside but still equal to their lyrical lines. Their overall music works well not only in thrash but in death and extreme metal. If you still haven't heard them at all.. Freely go and check them out. The guys don't bite.

--> Can you please help me what's wrong with this review because it's always rejected. Some advice will help...

Tanuki
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:56 pm 

Hi Hate_Kommander

Couple things:

Firstly, there are some capitalization issues. Genres like thrash metal or underground metal aren't capitalized, while bands like Motörhead are. Also, you capitalized other words randomly, like production, atmosphere, politics, war, etc. Check for typos like 'agian' and 'through out'. I think you should also go into more detail when you're citing the bands' influences. Like:

Quote:
All of the songs in this demo are heavily influenced by Slayer, Metallica, and Sodom

Which era or albums specifically? Reign in Blood or Diabolus in Musica?
Quote:
Structure wise is a bit complex, so many riffs that are jumping and running around inside

In which track? All of them? Does any specific track provide a good example of that?

Finally, you said:
Quote:
they have no remorse, no regrets just like the message of 'No Remorse' by Metallica which they also covered and gave tribute here in the demo.

Are you sure about this? I checked out the demo and their cover is of 'Metal Militia'.

Edit: Best of luck in revising and getting your review accepted

Last edited by Tanuki on Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:03 pm 

I'm going to just step in here and (after thanking Tanuki for the contributions) encourage anyone offered revisions to not simply copy and paste, but to take them as recommendations or directions of exploration.

I strongly discourage contributors from doing anyone's homework for them. Corrections are one thing, even suggestions, but as a matter of integrity and proper learning, the work needs to come from the original author.

Tanuki
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:22 pm 

Grave_Wyrm wrote:
I strongly discourage contributors from doing anyone's homework for them. Corrections are one thing, even suggestions, but as a matter of integrity and proper learning, the work needs to come from the original author.

You're absolutely right. I've now removed that part of my previous comment

HELLCOMMANDO
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:12 pm 

Hi Grave_Wyrm
here's the review with the corrections
thanx a lot my friend for your help

GENUFLEXION "Animal Religioso"

“A solid and impressive debut” (87%)

The name Genuflexión may sound as an unknown entity even for those who are into the South American black metal scene. However, this new band has quickly gained recognition and respect not only because of the positive feedback that their debut Animal Religioso got, but also because of the fact that the band is formed by veteran members of the scene. Genuflexion is a trio made up of former members of Grima Morstua, Gevurahel, Windfall, Espiritismo among others.

Animal Religioso is black metal in its pure vein, with songs portrayed similarly to the ones which can be found in Grima Morstua’s final album, Finis Coronat Opus, yet in Genuflexion I can feel a more personal emphasis in the music. The riffs found here can be described as melodic, intricate, highly emotional and cold, reminding me of the Ukranian gods of atmospheric black metal, Drudkh.

The vocals succeed in providing harshness and grimness, yet I believe some aggression is missing. If you speak Spanish you’ll be able to understand the lyrics, whose approach seems to be most spiritual. Topics such as the deification of the human being, the nature of our beliefs and gods, constantly make their way throughout the album.

The drum work bears more similarities to De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas than to Transilvanian Hunger, if you get the point. A sense of accuracy and complexity can be heard in the drumming. Such performance is somehow enhanced by a massive and clear production that allows the listener to follow each instrument separately.

To sum up, Animal Religioso is a great debut album that places Genuflexión among the most interesting current bands of the genre.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:10 pm 

HELLCOMMANDO wrote:
Hi Grave_Wyrm
here's ... GENUFLEXION "Animal Religioso"

Oo. A personal greeting. :) How nice.

Notes in spoiler.

“A solid and impressive debut” (87%)

The name Genuflexión may sound as an unknown entity even for those who are into the South American black metal scene. However, this new band has quickly gained recognition and respect not only because of the positive feedback that their debut Animal Religioso (Formatting) got, but also because of the fact that the band is formed by :nazi: (Was formed by? Is comprised of? Features? Depends on what you're trying to say, exactly) veteran members of the scene. Genuflexion :nazi: (The accent on the "o" is missing here. Standardize) is a trio made up of former members of Grima Morstua, Gevurahel, Windfall, Espiritismo, among others.

Animal Religioso is black metal in its pure vein, with songs portrayed similarly to the ones which can be found in Grima Morstua’s final album, Finis Coronat Opus, yet in Genuflexion I can feel a more personal emphasis in the music. :nazi: (The length of the sentence makes it awkward. Either split it into different sentences, or rephrase. Either way, work toward clarity) The riffs found here can be described as melodic, intricate, highly emotional and cold, reminding me of the Ukranian gods of atmospheric black metal, Drudkh.

The vocals succeed in providing harshness and grimness, yet I believe some aggression is missing. If you speak Spanish you’ll be able to understand the lyrics, whose approach seems to be most spiritual. Topics such as the deification of the human being, the nature of our beliefs and gods, constantly make their way throughout the album. :nazi: (I see what you're going for here, but the grammar and phrasing can be worked some more for clarity)

The drum work bears more similarities to De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas than to Transilvanian Hunger, if you get the point. A sense of accuracy and complexity can be heard in the drumming. Such performance is somehow enhanced by a massive and clear production that allows the listener to follow each instrument separately. (I think this paragraph could join the rest of the musical description. I don't think it needs its own paragraph. Placed here, the flow of ideas goes from content back to production, which is a bit jarring)

To sum up, Animal Religioso is a great debut album that places Genuflexión among the most interesting current bands of the genre.

(Good improvement. Much easier to read. The ideas flow much more smoothly, and it's nice to see so many of the notes integrated accurately. I'm not authorized to speak to its acceptability, unfortunately. I can tell you it's much better, and thank you for your investment in applying yourself. I'm not paying much attention to language details at this point other than those grammar notes making reading it somewhat difficult.

This draft walks pretty close to being a check list. I know it's hard to talk about distinct aspects of the music and avoid that. To adapt to that challenge, condense musical description into one paragraph, and vary the length of time you spend on each feature. Separate paragraphs provide space to discuss separate topics, of course, and while vocals and drums are separate topics, they just as easily fall under the single topic of musical description. If each is given a separate paragraph, readers will usually expect each to be discussed more broadly. Another way to avoid a check list is to talk about the musical features in the context of each other as opposed to talking about each one successively. Does that make sense?

In terms of style, more personal reflection would be helpful. Not only does this automatically help break up check-listing, it's a more honest depiction of the music. You mentioned that the band puts a personal emphasis on the music, but didn't explain how they did it or really what "personal" means. That's a point worth expanding on. Considering that one of your themes is how well this debut stands out among its contemporaries, tell us why that is. The current description of the music sounds pretty standard for black metal, but you take the time to mention that there's something special about it -- what sticks with you and why? What grabbed your attention? What came into focus as you listened to it over and over? What are some of the actual personal experiences you had with it? None of that has to be particularly dramatic or life-changing, just true. It's not terribly often that a debut makes a band stand out significantly from its genre. This could be the missing paragraph you're looking for, and will likely strengthen your conclusion.

These are really just suggestions to help you develop your ideas. It's a good improvement. Keep working. This kind of effort is worth it, not only because it helps you write better, but to explore the more difficultly-expressed emotional bond we have with music. Obviously this only works with albums we actually enjoy.)

WR95
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:46 pm 

Iron Maiden is considered by most people, even by non-experts, as the representative group of heavy metal. The self-titled debut was the first step for this. In my opinion, this album still had not the style that would characterize Iron Maiden, a style that began to achieve with the album "The Number of the Beast". This is due in part from Paul Di'anno's voice, very different from Bruce Dickinson. Paul Di'Anno's voice pulls more towards punk, and indeed Iron Maiden was thus considered in its origins.

Since the opener "Prowler", I guess a charming and new environment, a kind of "Let's see how this is going to become a metal selling". The sharp contrast between Dennis Stratton's guitar, rocker base of strong personality, and Dave Murray, mixed with a Harris that had it all definite and a Clive Burr which magnifies any rhythm with his class and ideas, they gave a point of excellent ways to experiment, still uncompacted and define entirely but pointing high up. The history has shown how Steve Harris knew "pray" hard and take advantage this initial impulse as no one else could have. Paul Di'Anno seems to move very comfortable in the context of the group that begins, even missing a year or two for how much responsibility and discipline overwhelm him, and he looks fluffy and cheerful. Perhaps he was thinking: "Let's see how that singing is". What many see as a unique talent, he might not really believe it but seemed to don't cares to him, supplies any possible lack with his unbeatable twenty-something talent.

Iron maiden presents the debut as a virtuous group, the instrumental "Transylvania" or long passages like the other songs, has developed a real dressing arrangements, soloing and talks between guitars that group had worked based on the past and they sounded very oiled, wonder that attesting live recordings of that time. Since then, whenever a musician was leaving the group (which were parading one by one album in the early years), the substitute was forced to catch in body and soul to participate entirely on the created and unstoppable synergy.
As an example of songs with fast passages and somewhat convoluted can't ignore the instrumental developments of "Prowler" and "Remember tomorrow", and especially the symphony "Phantom of the Opera", which is a song with authentic marathon riffs that every new band would want to taste. More youthful songs like "Charlotte the harlot", "Running free" or "Iron Maiden" compensate the result with harsh and rockers environments, lighter structure and more comfortable to listening.

The bug that looks us from the cover didn't know it was going to give the group more development, I guess not even know that it was called Eddie and that he expected an urgent hairdressing session to travel the world in shaped doll similar to the giants and big heads of parties from my town. But I think that Steve Harris was making an idea for the future... you know these things when you provoke.

THAT'S MY REVIEW. Please tell me the errors :P

Last edited by WR95 on Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WR95
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:07 pm 

I'm learning a bit about english syntax. Let's see.... I probably found an error in this

WR95 wrote:
The bug that looks us from the cover didn't know it was going to give the group more development

Correction:
The bug that looks us from the cover didn't know it was going to give more development to the group

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:52 pm 

WR95, I'm sorry but your English level is just not up to our standards. It's not because you make typos or mistakes but because the structures of your sentences just doesn't work.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

WR95
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:12 pm 

That's a big problem when you don't know the phrases in the anglo speaker world. For example:

"less said, the better". In the spanish world, we use the phrase "En boca cerrada no entran moscas" (Flies don't enter a closed mouth). See? I don't found a equivalent saying on english because I don't know so much the english sayings.

"a leopard can't change its spots". In the spanish world, we use the prase "Moro viejo nunca será buen cristiano" (The old Moorish will never be a good Christian).

Thank you anyway, Metantoine.

Red_Death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:03 am 

WR95 wrote:
I'm learning a bit about english syntax. Let's see.... I probably found an error in this

WR95 wrote:
The bug that looks us from the cover didn't know it was going to give the group more development

Correction:
The bug that looks us from the cover didn't know it was going to give more development to the group

I'm really not trying to be a prick, but this correction doesn't make much sense. If I had to paraphrase, I would do it like this: The bug on the cover, which is looking at us, didn't know it would become an (important) element in the band's development.

The biggest problem is the idea of the bug having anything to do with the band's development. The connection between Eddie and IM's development as a band is unclear. It is also unclear how Eddie can be said to be a bug in the first place. The sentence in your previous post is also horribly long and syntactically all messed up.

Apart from that, have a look at this brief rundown:

verb tense with "look" + looking at someone/something as a phrasal verb, "looking us" is not grammatical;

I don't like that construction "from the cover", can't really explain why exactly (probably has to do with the fact that the cover is not a space of any kind, for example as a hill in "I'm looking at you from the hill", and it is also not a kind of perspective as in "Looking at you from a different perspective");

"give development" isn't used in English (a good tool is Google; search for the specific expression you intend to use and see how many hits you get);

"band" is commonly used for groups of musicians

And a suggestion - do you really need to tell us that the bug is looking at us? Another problem is that it is confusing to read this sentence without realizing that you're comparing Eddie, in some sense, to a bug. It's a bit of a wtf moment once you read "The bug on the cover looking at us".

Honestly, it seems that every sentence has a big problem.

~Guest 388629
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:53 am 

I need help to checking this review

This is for Anathema's - Eternity

Unlike the bands previous records, Anathema decided to move away from the death-doom inspired music they once incorporated and evolved into a more straightforward gothic metal sound, with Eternity.

To start, musically, the album has a more melodic sound while still attaining the metal part of they're music. The guitar has the typical signature sound that Anathema. It has in fact, become more gloomy, a good example being "Eternity(Part 1)" Its a part of the music that makes me think that you can have atmosphere into Gothic Guitar other than the keyboards. Speaking of the keyboards, with Danny Cavanagh taking keyboard duties, Anathema included a sound of atmosphere that has not normally been heard in Anathema's previous albums. The keyboard's sounds are so fantastic that it can almost take the listener to another world. For example, as you listen to "Eternity(Part 2)", the song is greeted with hollowing bass playing and melodic keyboards, then later into the song it becomes more spacey, giving the album a high level of soothing atmosphere.

Lyrically, Eternity also shows Anathema becoming more sorrowful and gloomy. As I continued on to the album, what Vincent Cavanagh's Vocal approach and sad storytelling adds to Eternity is sheer melancholy. The lyrical themes tells topics of sorrow and hopelessness, however, Vincent's vocal approach pretty much shows off the lyrical content of Eternity while also being in good unison with the guitar playing.

As a fan of Anathema's early music, listening to Eternity was one album I never got the chance to listen to until now. Before, my favorite album by them was Serenades and Alternative 4 for showing a more gothic approach (Though I considered Serenades a Death-Doom album); Eternity literally blew me away and took me into a whole new world. Not only the album was relaxing and atmospheric, it is still a metal album. Eternity would now go down as one of the greatest metal albums i've heard so far, for being as Gothic as any of Anathema's period during the 1990's; as well as the album that would define Anathema in general. If their are a metalhead that is trying to get into Gothic Metal, and wonder which Anathema album is good, I recommend this album! Still a shame that they no longer play metal.

Iron Wizard
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:25 pm 

I wanted some critique on my review for Bathory's Hammerheart:

Prior to listening to Hammerheart, my only exposure to Viking Bathory had been through a few scattered songs from Nordland I and II, and later on, I heard the masterful epic "Blood and Iron" from Twilight of the Gods. Strangely enough, I avoided listening to these albums in their entirety, and I avoided Hammerheart altogether with the exception of One Rode to Asa Bay. A while back, I had read something stating that Hammerheart was the epitome of Bathory's career. This was a tempting statement, and I ended up listening to it.

The album begins with the some quiet ocean sounds and semi-cean guitars. The atmosphere is that of standing on a Baltic shore, the air freezing cold and the sea calm. Suddenly, the monumental riffs of "Shores in Flames" crash in. The production is incredibly heavy. The guitars are thick, the bass is audible, and the drums are fucking hammers slamming against stone. Behold, Viking metal. The music is monumental in sound, and it still maintains an atmosphere comparable to Bathory's earlier releases. "Shores in Flames" reaches its peak as Quorthon lets out a powerful scream. "Thor of thunder, way up high. Swing your hammer, cracks the sky".

"Valhalla" begins in a similar, but more straightforward vein. Dark, atmospheric synthesizers back up a heavy, doom inspired riff. The verse is epic, in the vein of "Enter the Eternal Fire" from Under the Sign of the Black Mark. The vocals on this track are quite harsh, not too distant from his black metal screams of prior releases, when compared to his singing on the rest of the album, which is practically clean. The rather fun and energetic song ends with the same room riff that opened it, this time backed by triumphant acoustic.

"Baptise in Fire and Ice" and "Father to Son" are both thrashier songs more centric around aggression and catchieness than creating atmosphere. These songs may void the album's consistency slightly, but they are incredibly fun to listen to on their own merits.

"Song to Hall Up High" is a short, acoustic intro to "Home of Once Brave". This one is slow and plodding, like "Valhalla". Quorthon's vocal melodies really stand out in this one, compensating for the simplicity of the music itself. The song feels as if it is a suspense building journey towards the closer, "One Rode to Asa Bay". Soft, folkish acoustic opens the song. The guitars and keyboards come in, and the atmosphere becomes very intense and emotionally powerful. Quorthon tells of christian intruders entering Sweden, enslaving men, and forcing them to build a church. The lyrics on this one are absolutely brilliant, and while they are sufficient in evoking a sense of longing, Quorthon's vocals are downright beautiful, sounding immensely sad, with some angry overtones as well. He tells as if he were there when Europe was being christianized.

Hammerheart is an excellent piece of Viking metal. While the journey itself is excellent, the awe that it leaves listeners with is even more powerful.

-Ronnie James Dio, Black Sabbath- Heaven and Hell

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:32 pm 

Room riffs are the best. Could you proofread before the review itself is critiqued?

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

Palecompanion2001
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:05 am 

This is my first review and I would love if someone would help make this acceptable. I also apologize for submitting it twice I had no idea where the review feedback workshop was. Thank you in advanced

Until we die is a one man melodic deathcore band out of Austria, Before the decay of time is their first full length album and quite possibly the best deathcore release of this year. Deathcore as a genre has seen an extreme downfall becoming mostly generic and watered down chugging. Luckily this album really gives me hope that melodic deathcore can take a rise again and make deathcore have riffs again.

The album is 13 tracks long including the bonus track, and around 43 minutes in length. It was released through chugcore around the end of November 2016. It starts off with a nice soothing atmospheric intro and really gets straight to what this album is about. The melodic riffs are absolutely crushing on this album and are some of the best in the genre. Out of most melodic deathcore bands until we die easily has the best riffs. Until we die is really like if And Hell Followed with and the Black Dahlia Murder had a child and added crushing breakdowns.

The riffs can sound similar throughout the album but its extremely intriguing how they all sound and manage to keep my attention. They really do remind me mostly of the black dahlia murder. The album I would say it the epitome of melodic deathcore, keeping a lot of melodic death metal tendencies and riffs but still keeping brutal breakdowns hence the core.

The vocals are extremely powerful, his lows and monstrous and extremely beefy is the best way I can describe it. His highs are extremely well.. high, Reminds me of Orion Stephens of In dying arms at times. There is a lot of range on this album which is a great bonus. Also there is 310 bpm vocals on the song Forsake the Fallen so check that out.

The drums are programmed, but sound very well for being programmed. The production on this album is so crisp and clean, Its really nice to listen too.

This album is great and is really the best deathcore album of 2016. I highly recommend this album for fans of deathcore and melodic death metal.

Favorite songs: King of the dead, forsake the fallen, beherit of life

Palecompanion2001
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:11 am 

I would also like help making this review acceptable as well. Cheers.

Panzerfaust is the 5th full length record from these Norwegian black metal titans. Released in June of 1995, it is still a monumental release from these guys. Panzerfaust is easily one of Darkthrone's most dark, cold, raw, and aggressive records put out. The album was released through Moonfog productions based out of Norway. The album lineup includes Fenriz and Nocturnal Culto, easily the most iconic black metal duo from Norway. Going into this record I had very high hopes for this album considering it is Darkthrone.

The album starts off with the track En vind av song. From there it basically gets straight to the point including, raw atmopshere, dark, fast, angry riffs, fast pace classic drum beats ("trve" blast beats), and very strangled shrieks. This album isn't really the most technical or raw but its just the perfect amount of atmosphere that doesn't drown out the riffs. Which seems to be a common problem in a lot of black metal, the atmosphere and synths are way too high in the mix and really drowns out some great riffs.

The album has quite a lot of tempo changes, going from a very traditional black metal pace at one song and then more of a black doom the other songs. Adding those suttle tempo changes really adds a lot of atmopshere to the album. The drums aren't very technical or fast on this album at times which really lets the riffs shine. It would have been helpful if they would have added more complex drumming in the album but I do think the riffs make up for.

The real attraction to this album for me, is easily the riffs, Panzerfaust easily has, the best Darkthrone riffs I've heard and even some of the best black metal riffs I've heard. This album is just full of great riffs. You can really hear quite a lot of Celtic Frost influence in the riffs throughout the album. Especially on Quintessence.

The production on the album of course is raw, but it does sound pretty good. I have no complaints about the production for the instrumentals, but the vocals on the album are turned up a little too high. Considering they aren't at all Cultos best vocal performance it's a shame to see they're up so high in the mix. Culto's vocals aren't terrible, but they aren't great. Hearing many rumors he was piss drink recording them kind of makes me understand it but the way the vocals are executed are great no doubt.

Overall this album is a pinnacle of riffs in black metal, a real good album with tons of Celtic Frost influence. I definitely recommend this for all beginners in Darkthrone.

Favorite songs: Quintessence, En vind av song, Triumphant Gleam

WR95
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:33 am 

Iron Wizard wrote:

The album begins with the some quiet ocean sounds and semi-cean guitars.....

"semiclean"... Is good, but I think you can explain a few songs and skip the track-by-track for least awesome songs. Although all songs from that album are masterpieces, just explain 3 or 4 tracks for that. Also you can talk about the history context, because Hammerheart is considered the first album of viking metal ever.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:00 pm 

Palecompanion2001 wrote:
The album is 13 tracks long including the bonus track, and around 43 minutes in length. It was released through chugcore around the end of November 2016.

You do not need to state this information unless you are making a specific point about it. Chugcore is the label? It should be capitalized. The formatting for the Darkthrone review was better, but the first one had too many mini-paragraphs. There's some good description, but the flow could be worked on a bit. I also noticed a few errors with grammar, such as capitalizing after a comma. Including a favourite tracks section at the end is generally considered lame here. You should be able to work a discussion of the album's highlights into the main review. Hope that helps.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:18 pm 

Iron Wizard wrote:

The first paragraph is superfluous. There are capitalization errors and proofreading/grammar errors throughout this track-by-track first draft. Read the site rules, proofread, rewrite, and post in this thread.

Palecompanion2001 wrote:
This is my first review

Notes in spoiler.
(Most of the corrections will be pretty obvious. Be sure to read the site rules and make adjustments accordingly. dystopia4 already pointed out several of the glaring errors, so be sure to incorporate his notes.)

Until we die :nazi: is a one man melodic deathcore band out of Austria, Before the decay of time :nazi: (Formatting and proper noun capitalization) is their first full length album and quite possibly the best deathcore release of this year. Deathcore as a genre has seen an extreme downfall becoming mostly generic and watered down chugging. Luckily this album really gives me hope that melodic deathcore can take a rise again and make deathcore have riffs again.

The album is 13 tracks long including the bonus track, and around 43 minutes in length. It was released through chugcore around the end of November 2016. It starts off with a nice soothing atmospheric intro and really gets straight to what this album is about. The melodic riffs are absolutely crushing on this album and are some of the best in the genre. Out of most melodic deathcore bands until we die easily has the best riffs. Until we die is really like if And Hell Followed with and the Black Dahlia Murder :nazi: (Why is the capitalization different when the proper nouns are right next to each other?) had a child and added crushing breakdowns.

The riffs can sound similar throughout the album but its :nazi: extremely intriguing how they all sound and manage to keep my attention. :nazi: (Unclear) They really do remind me mostly of the black dahlia murder. The album I would say it the epitome of melodic deathcore, keeping a lot of melodic death metal tendencies and riffs but still keeping brutal breakdowns hence the core. :nazi: (Unclear)

The vocals are extremely powerful, his lows and monstrous and extremely beefy is the best way I can describe it :nazi: (This sentence is badly broken). His highs are extremely well.. high, (I'm sure you can do better than this) Reminds me of Orion Stephens of In dying arms at times :nazi:. There is a lot of range on this album which is a great bonus. Also there is 310 bpm vocals on the song Forsake the Fallen so check that out.

The drums are programmed, but sound very well :nazi: for being programmed. The production on this album is so crisp and clean, Its really nice to listen too. :nazi: (Proofread)

This album is great and is really the best deathcore album of 2016. I highly recommend this album for fans of deathcore and melodic death metal.

Favorite songs: King of the dead, forsake the fallen, beherit of life

(Grammar and phrasing clarity need attention. Musical description should be organized according to an outline. Treat this as a first draft, and organize the flow of ideas. Repost in this thread after rewrite.)

punkmetalhead wrote:
Anathema's - Eternity

Notes in spoiler.

Unlike the bands (Possessive apostrophe) previous records, Anathema decided to move away from the death-doom inspired music they once incorporated and evolved into a more straightforward gothic metal sound, with Eternity. :nazi: (Proofread for grammar errors. The convention here is to write the genre as "death/doom." This whole sentence should be reworked and reformed for clarity.)

To start, musically, the album has a more melodic sound while still attaining the metal part of they're :nazi: music. The guitar has the typical signature sound that Anathema :nazi: (Incomplete sentence). It has in fact, become more gloomy, a :nazi: good example being "Eternity(Part 1)" Its :nazi: a part of the music that makes me think that you can have atmosphere into Gothic Guitar other than the keyboards :nazi: (What?). Speaking of the keyboards, with Danny Cavanagh taking keyboard duties, Anathema included a sound of atmosphere that has not normally been heard in Anathema's previous albums. :nazi: (Redundant.) The keyboard's sounds are so fantastic that it can almost take the listener to another world. For example, as you listen to "Eternity(Part 2)", the song is greeted with hollowing bass (Interesting phrasing. Unclear) playing and melodic keyboards, then later into the song it becomes more spacey, giving the album a high level of soothing atmosphere.

Lyrically, Eternity also shows Anathema becoming more sorrowful and gloomy. As I continued on to the album, what Vincent Cavanagh's Vocal approach and sad storytelling adds to Eternity is sheer melancholy. The lyrical themes tells topics :nazi: of sorrow and hopelessness, however, Vincent's :nazi: vocal approach pretty much shows off the lyrical content of Eternity while also being in good unison with the guitar playing.

As a fan of Anathema's early music, listening to Eternity was one album I never got the chance to listen to until now. Before, my favorite album by them was Serenades and Alternative 4 for showing a more gothic approach (Though I considered Serenades a Death-Doom album); Eternity literally blew me away and took me into a whole new world (No it didn't .. not literally). Not only the album was relaxing :nazi: and atmospheric, it is still a metal album. Eternity would now go down as one of the greatest metal albums i've heard so far, for being as Gothic as any of Anathema's period during the 1990's; as well as the album that would define Anathema in general. If their are a metalhead :nazi: that is trying to get into Gothic Metal :nazi: "pink washing machine" isn't a proper noun either), and wonder which Anathema album is good, I recommend this album! Still a shame that they no longer play metal.

(Despite the significant number of grammatical errors, I thought this made a decent first draft. You can embellish on the musical description and lyrical content, but the general shape is pretty good. It's obvious you're trying to keep it simple and to the point, which is good. Keep working on it and be sure to make your points with clarity.)

iRaptr
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:35 pm 

Firewind - Immortals

Firewind is one of the most acclaimed and well-known bands from Greece. The band started their journey in 1998 but only four years after they launched their first album, introducing their own style to the Metal scene. Since then, they became one of the most known bands in the Heavy Power Metal scene and, above all, a very consistent one. After their average album, "Few Against Many" that, not being a bad one it wasn't on the level that Firewind can do, the iconic vocalist, Apollo Papathanasio, left the band. Many fans and admirers around the world thought that it would be (almost) impossible to fill in the boots on Apollo, and still keeping the vocal quality that Firewind has delivered since Apollo entered the band, in 2005. Still, in 2015 a new vocalist was announced: Henning Base, know for his work with Metallium. Base was already a familiar face within Firewind as he had already replaced Apollo in a couple of shows during their 2007 tour and also had worked with Gus in his solo project. Despite that, the million dollar question still was being asked: Could he replace Apollo maintaining the vocal quality?. As soon as he sings the first note in "Hands of Time" the answer is crystal clear: absolutely.

The record's theme, being a semi-concept album, revolves around the battle of Thermopylae, famously know as the battle between Spartans and Persians. The album starts with the already mentioned "Hands of Time", a typical Power Metal hymn: strong melodies, epic choruses, and solos. Then, once the second song starts you know (in case you were in still in doubt) it is Firewind you are hearing. The riffing that is typical of Gus G is present trough all the album although it is more substantial on the second half. Relatively to the first half, "Ode to Leonidas" starting with a narration that builds up the song's atmosphere, is the winner, followed closely by "Live and Die By the Sword". Base has no problems in showing what he is capable of during the album and Gus G delivers crunchy guitar-riffs with an impressive technique and quality through the record. The ballad, "Lady of a 1000 Sorrows" slows things down in a great way by having an emotional melody attached to it. This calmness is then immediately ceased by the instrumental of the album, "Immortals" by the Gus G heavy guitar work. Up until the very last minute of "Visions of Tomorrow", the album maintains the quality that Firewind is capable of, with vicious riffs, strong melodies and the amazing vocal work by Base.

To sum up, if you like the Firewind from the past and you are afraid that with this new vocalist the things have decreased in quality, don't be, they have actually got better. With this album, the metallers from Hellas are now "Back on the Throne" after (almost) falling from it with the 2012 record.

Thanks in advance!
My main worry after writing the review was the size of it, it doesn't look that big compared to the reviews that usually get added on the website.

Tanuki
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:10 pm 

Hey man, good review overall, notes in the spoiler.

Quote:
The band started their journey in 1998 but only four years after they launched their first album

Only four years? Four years to release a debut album seems longer on average, at least to me. Also, "metal" and any of its subgenres don't require capitalization. Finally, I know it's tempting, but including too much of the band's history often isn't necessary. (Unless it's about the vocalist being replaced - that's fine because its relevant.)

Quote:
After their average album, "Few Against Many" that, not being a bad one it wasn't on the level that Firewind can do, the iconic vocalist, Apollo Papathanasio, left the band.

I personally like to italicize album titles and put quotes around track titles. There are also some funky commas here. You don't need one after "album", you do need one after "Many", and you don't need either one surrounding Apollo Papathanasio.

Quote:
Relatively to the first half, "Ode to Leonidas" starting with a narration that builds up the song's atmosphere, is the winner, followed closely by "Live and Die By the Sword".

I had to reread this a few times to get what you were saying. Do you mean 'Ode to Leonidas' is the winner for most substantial riffs or most built-up atmosphere? Also, grammatically, there's some strange comma-use again. "starting with a narration that builds up the song's atmosphere" is a dependant clause, so it needs to be surrounded by commas.

Quote:
the things have decreased in quality, don't be, they have actually got better.

I would say "the band" instead of "the things". Also, instead of a comma, you'd need a semi colon or hypen after "be", since "they have actually got better" is an independent clause".

---

In general, the second paragraph is a little close to being track-by-track. Describing individual tracks to make an example of your point (like saying "Lady of a 1000 Sorrows" mixes things up by being an emotional ballad) is cool. But make sure you're not just generally describing what happens in every track.

If you wanted to extend the overall length a bit, you could talk about the drummer: does he ever skip beats, is he distractingly loud, too quiet, too repetitive, etc. You could talk about bass lines, if any of those are notable. You could mention the keyboardist and if he adds anything to the atmosphere, rivals the guitarist with any sweet solos, that kind of thing. Finally, watch out for what your spellcheck won't catch, like "famously know" instead of "famously known".

iRaptr
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:39 pm 

Tanuki wrote:
Hey man, good review overall, notes in the spoiler.

Quote:
The band started their journey in 1998 but only four years after they launched their first album

Only four years? Four years to release a debut album seems longer on average, at least to me. Also, "metal" and any of its subgenres don't require capitalization. Finally, I know it's tempting, but including too much of the band's history often isn't necessary. (Unless it's about the vocalist being replaced - that's fine because its relevant.)

Quote:
After their average album, "Few Against Many" that, not being a bad one it wasn't on the level that Firewind can do, the iconic vocalist, Apollo Papathanasio, left the band.

I personally like to italicize album titles and put quotes around track titles. There are also some funky commas here. You don't need one after "album", you do need one after "Many", and you don't need either one surrounding Apollo Papathanasio.

Quote:
Relatively to the first half, "Ode to Leonidas" starting with a narration that builds up the song's atmosphere, is the winner, followed closely by "Live and Die By the Sword".

I had to reread this a few times to get what you were saying. Do you mean 'Ode to Leonidas' is the winner for most substantial riffs or most built-up atmosphere? Also, grammatically, there's some strange comma-use again. "starting with a narration that builds up the song's atmosphere" is a dependant clause, so it needs to be surrounded by commas.

Quote:
the things have decreased in quality, don't be, they have actually got better.

I would say "the band" instead of "the things". Also, instead of a comma, you'd need a semi colon or hypen after "be", since "they have actually got better" is an independent clause".

---

In general, the second paragraph is a little close to being track-by-track. Describing individual tracks to make an example of your point (like saying "Lady of a 1000 Sorrows" mixes things up by being an emotional ballad) is cool. But make sure you're not just generally describing what happens in every track.

If you wanted to extend the overall length a bit, you could talk about the drummer: does he ever skip beats, is he distractingly loud, too quiet, too repetitive, etc. You could talk about bass lines, if any of those are notable. You could mention the keyboardist and if he adds anything to the atmosphere, rivals the guitarist with any sweet solos, that kind of thing. Finally, watch out for what your spellcheck won't catch, like "famously know" instead of "famously known".

Thanks a lot for the help!
I tried to correct all that aspects you mentioned and also added some other things to the second paragraph, hope it is now improved. Thanks a lot!

Firewind is one of the most acclaimed and well-known bands from Greece. The band started their journey in 1998 and four years after they launched their full-length debut, introducing their own style to the metal scene. Since then, they became one of the most known bands in the heavy power metal scene and, above all, a very consistent one. After their average album "Few Against Many", that not being a bad one it wasn't on the level that Firewind can do, the iconic vocalist Apollo Papathanasio left the band. Many fans and admirers around the world thought that it would be (almost) impossible to fill in the boots on Apollo, and still keeping the vocal quality that Firewind has delivered since Apollo entered the band, in 2005. Still, in 2015 a new vocalist was announced: Henning Base, know for his work with Metallium. Base was already a familiar face within Firewind as he had already replaced Apollo in a couple of shows during their 2007 tour and also had worked with Gus in his solo project. Despite that, the million dollar question still was being asked: Could he replace Apollo maintaining the vocal quality?. As soon as he sings the first note in "Hands of Time" the answer is crystal clear: absolutely.

The record's theme, being a semi-concept album, revolves around the battle of Thermopylae, famously known as the battle between Spartans and Persians. The album starts with the already mentioned "Hands of Time", a typical Power Metal hymn: strong melodies, epic choruses, and solos. Then, once the second song starts you know (in case you were in still in doubt) it is Firewind you are hearing. The riffing that is typical of Gus G is present trough all the album although it is more substantial on the second half. Relatively to the first half, "Ode to Leonidas" starts with a narration that builds up the song's atmosphere really well, being the best song on the first half, followed closely by "Live and Die By the Sword". Base has no problems in showing what he is capable of during the album with his harsher voice in comparison to the previous frontman, emphasizing the "heavy" part of their style, and Gus G delivers crunchy guitar-riffs with an impressive technique and quality through the record. Also, not only the guitarist and the vocals deserves a praise, the keyboard is also more present through the album than in their other releases, adding another layer of epicness, something that matches quite well with the epic theme of the record. The ballad, "Lady of a 1000 Sorrows" slows things down in a great way by having an emotional melody attached to it. This calmness is then immediately ceased by the instrumental of the album, "Immortals" by the Gus G heavy guitar work. Up until the very last minute of "Visions of Tomorrow", the album maintains the quality that Firewind is capable of, with vicious riffs, strong melodies and the amazing vocal work by Base.

To sum up, if you liked the Firewind from the past and you are afraid that with this new vocalist the band have decreased in quality, don't be; they have actually got better. With this album, the metallers from Hellas are now "Back on the Throne" after (almost) falling from it with the 2012 record.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92 ... 108  Next