Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
raspberrysoda
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:09 pm 

I added some changes to my review of Melvins' Lysol

This album could be described in only one word: heavy. It features the heaviest droning you have probably heard your entire life, and no wonder Sunn O))) cited Melvins as one of their key influences, as this album is a milestone in metal as a genre and influenced a whole new movement in it.

Lysol starts with the monster track named "Hung Bunny," which could be described as something between any Sunn O))) song (they even covered it) and Sleep's "Dopesmoker." It begins with King Buzzo's monolithic down tuned guitar thrumming. The riffs here are very simple, but are very very heavy and distorted, and are accompanied by Joe's crushing bass lines with the almost tribal drumming by Dale. Even King Buzzo's vocals are a major part of this album, as you can actually consider them for an instrument as they are very deep and drone as well. The droning continues to the next track, "Roman Bird Dog," and eventually to the rest of the album, including the 3 Melvin-modified covers and the last track. King Buzzo and Co. made a great job at modifying the 3 covers- the Flipper cover is a mid-paced punk song, and the two Alice Cooper covers can hardly be considered as metal. They were made into crushing drone tracks, leaving most of their original characteristics behind and surprisingly don't interrupt the album's musical continuity.

The production of this album fits the atmosphere that it tries to make- a heavy, monolithic and distorted mood but still features the randomness
Melvins are known for - the lyrics are very, very random and eccentric: "Lysol to get me high/ You're sure to smell my fear/ Baby you can see-saw sun/ And like to be..." Clocking at 31 minutes, this is probably one of the shortest and condensed drone/stoner full lengths ever made. This album is recommended to all metal fans, and especially to fans of any heavy music.

Recommended tracks: "Hung Bunny," "Roman Bird Dog," and "Sacrifice."

stainedclass2112 wrote:
It was a joke you darn can of fizzy sweetened liquid

BastardHead wrote:
Somebody is getting murdered but poor razz just wants his beauty sleep.

metalandnba
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:40 pm 

Hello, guys. My review of the album Silent Revenge, from Hibria, got denied, and basically the reason was because it didn't contain good enough grasp of the language. I'm from Brazil, and I speak fluent english. My writing is not the best, I'm aware of that, but I think the judgment of the reviewer was too harsh. Anyway, he had the call and he denied it. Could you guys please enlighten me on what I did so wrong? Thanks.

A lower tuned, still effective band - 82%

After an album blending it's former power metal roots with a newfound heaviness in Blind Ride (2011), Hibria came back in 2013 with the completion of a new and even heavier approach to their style in Silent Revenge. If Blind Ride already had mid-tempo and groovier stuff such as "Blinded by Faith", this new album brought more and more slower songs with fatter guitar tones and lower vocals (with still high pitches) from Iuri Sanson. The album starts with the strong and traditional heavy metal title song, with the very good guest appearance by André Meyer, (singer from another brazilian band, Distraught), with guttural vocals on the chorus. The album also has the arrival of new guitar player Renato Osório, a great and technical musician, who, along the two new guys from the previous album, drummer Eduardo Baldo and bass player Benhur Lima, completes the most accomplished Hibria line-up to date, taking into account technical prowess and overall experience. Just listen to these guys previous bands called Ynis Vitrin and Magician, two very good bands from the brazilian metal scene, with two albuns from the last decade, to get a proper picture.

The lyrical concept from the album is taken from the argentine movie "El Secreto de sus Ojos" (2009), or in english, The Secret of your Eyes. The main plot tells about an ongoing investigation of a rape turned into a murder, with an unbelievable ending. The track "Silence will make you Suffer" is the most prominent song talking about the theme, with nice riffs and solos, very good vocal diversity, all in a mid-tempo metal song, very well executed. The Scream of an Angel" reminisces more of the band from the first two records, reaching a power metal melodic peak with an introduction that reminds some of the best Deep Purple songs. To close the record, they recalled a band's tradition with an epic song. Defying the Rules ends with the amazing "Stare at Yourself", the Skull Collectors ends with the underrated and my personal epic favorite from the band, "Wings of Wax" and the Silent Revenge album has the technical "The Way it Is", wich shows all the versatility of the new line-up, including great back vocals from the new bassist.

Overall, Silent Revenge shows Hibria taking the foot a little bit off the gas pedal regarding the speed and high tones, but the band also gain with more groove and experimentation, as the album resembles more of a traditional heavy metal style with bits and pieces of Pantera, rather than the visceral power metal from past recordings. Still, it´s a very enjoyable album that works, and that's the most important thing.

Roffle_the_Thrashard
Thrash Slinging Slasher

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:20 pm 

metalandnba: Well, you seem to have an okay "grasp of the language" and a pretty good vocabulary, but there are some spelling mistakes as well as some grammatical errors that need to be fixed here. They are as follows:

1)
Quote:
...blending it's former...

Its, not it's.

2)
Quote:
"...Blinded by Faith",...

It is a bit of a hard habit to break, but quotes that involve punctuation should be written like this: "Metal." - "Metal," - "Metal;"
Fix this problem wherever you see it in this review.

3)
Quote:
Just listen to these guys previous bands...

Spell possessive pronouns that end in an 's' with an apostrophe after the 's.' Ex: guys'

4)
Quote:
...english...

Capitalize the names of languages. Also, the movies' title in English needs quotes around it too.

5)
Quote:
The Scream of an Angel..."

Put quotes on both sides please.

6)
Quote:
Defying the Rules ends with the amazing "Stare at Yourself", the Skull Collectors ends with the underrated and my personal epic favorite from the band, "Wings of Wax" and the Silent Revenge album has the technical "The Way it Is", wich shows all the versatility of the new line-up, including great back vocals from the new bassist.

Break this sentence into smaller ones. It would be much more pleasant to read it that way. Also, wich is spelled like this: which.

7)
Quote:
Overall, Silent Revenge shows Hibria taking the foot a little bit off the gas pedal...

Rearrange the words in this sentence fragment, to say "Overall, Silent Revenge shows Hibria taking their foot off of the gas pedal a little bit," or something of that nature, so that way your work can remain grammatically correct. Notice the addition of the words "of" and "their."

8)
Quote:
...it´s...

I think that you added too many spaces in between the letters and the apostrophe in this word. Something about the spacing seems odd.

That's about it for my critique. Your writing is of good quality, but you need to review your work before you submit it.

Thanks.

-R_T_T

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:16 pm 

Roffle_the_Thrashard wrote:
2)
Quote:
"...Blinded by Faith",...

It is a bit of a hard habit to break, but quotes that involve punctuation should be written like this: "Metal." - "Metal," - "Metal;"
Fix this problem wherever you see it in this review.

This is an American orthographic standard and isn't how punctuation is handled in the Commonwealth countries. Realistically you should use whichever you like; personally I prefer having the punctuation outside the quotation mark as it removes ambiguity in case you happen to be naming a song that actually features punctuation as part of its title.

Roffle_the_Thrashard
Thrash Slinging Slasher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:43 am 

I always thought that it looked much cleaner like "this," but I see what you mean. A teacher of mine ingrained the method of quotations that I use into myself and my classmates, so I've been using it ever since. And as for songs that contain odd punctuation in their titles, I don't think that it would be too hard to think of a way to get around having to switch to this apparently more common quotation method. Just do what suits you best I guess.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:08 am 

metalandnba wrote:
Could you guys please enlighten me on what I did so wrong? Thanks.

Peer within:

Spoiler: show
Alerts in bold; most are self-explanatory, but occasional notes are in parentheses/smaller font.
Italics added as part of correction. Album and film titles get italicized; song titles should be capitalized according to how they appear on the cd.
Hunt down punctuation and proper noun capitalization errors.
In general the sentence structures are too long and difficult to read. Edit for better clarity and ease of reading.
There are more to be made, but it's a struggle to even read my own post as it is.

------
A lower tuned, still effective band - 82%

After an album blending it's former power metal roots with a newfound heaviness in Blind Ride (2011), Hibria came back in 2013 with the completion of a new and even heavier approach to their style in Silent Revenge. If Blind Ride already had mid-tempo and groovier stuff such as "Blinded by Faith", this new album brought more and more slower songs with fatter guitar tones and lower vocals (with still high pitches) from Iuri Sanson. ("If" is confusing. That usage is usually employed in analogy. Use "whereas" instead, or just make a straight comparison.)

(new paragraph) The album starts with the strong and traditional heavy metal title song, with the very good guest appearance by André Meyer, (singer from another brazilian band, Distraught), with guttural vocals on the chorus. (awkward sentence structure) The album also has the arrival of new guitar player Renato Osório, a great and technical musician, who, along the two new guys from the previous album, drummer Eduardo Baldo and bass player Benhur Lima, completes the most accomplished Hibria line-up to date, (More awkward sentence structure) taking into account technical prowess and overall experience. (what?) Just listen to these guys' previous bands called Ynis Vitrin and Magician, two very good bands from the brazilian metal scene, with two albuns from the last decade, to get a proper picture.

(one space between paragraphs)
The lyrical concept from the album is taken from the argentine movie El Secreto de sus Ojos (2009), or in english, The Secret of your Eyes. The main plot tells about an ongoing investigation of a rape turned into a murder, with an unbelievable ending. The track "Silence will make you Suffer" is the most prominent song talking about the theme, with nice riffs and solos, very good vocal diversity, all in a mid-tempo metal song, very well executed. The Scream of an Angel" reminisces (wrong useage. A song does not reminisce. It may be "reminiscent of") more of the band from the first two records, reaching a power metal melodic peak with an introduction that reminds some (grammar) of the best Deep Purple songs. To close the record, they recalled a band's tradition with an epic song.(what?) Defying the Rules ends with the amazing "Stare at Yourself", the Skull Collectors ends with the underrated and my personal epic favorite from the band, "Wings of Wax" and the Silent Revenge album has the technical "The Way it Is", wich shows all the versatility of the new line-up, including great back vocals from the new bassist. (poor sentence structure and confusing)

(one space between paragraphs)
Overall, Silent Revenge shows Hibria taking the foot a little bit off the gas pedal regarding the speed and high tones, but the band also gain with more groove and experimentation, as the album resembles more of a traditional heavy metal style with bits and pieces of Pantera, rather than the visceral power metal from past recordings. (too long, just break into independent sentences) Still, it´s (that's not an apostrophe) a very enjoyable album that works, and that's the most important thing.

metalandnba
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:56 am 

Guys, first of all, thank you all for taking the time for this issue, I really appreciate that. Some very good points, but I still think most of the things are still too wide open for interpretation, even the use of quotes are being disputed here. Therefore, I see them as pure technicalities. Of course, on the example of the word "which," there is no discussion, it was just a flop, something that just passed me by. But there are too many things that are pure subjective opinion, like Grave_Wyrm put it above, for the most part, he just plain simple didn't like the way I wrote. Sorry, but almost nobody uses the proper space before a new paragraph, here. I think if we gonna take things to this level of scrutiny, perhaps half of the reviews from the site should be rejected. Again, I understand the proper grammar reasons, but even if I'm gonna take all the care in the world on the matter (which is fair enough), there are still gonna be other points of contention, making too hard for me to contribute, I guess.

Thanks a lot for the replies!

Roffle_the_Thrashard
Thrash Slinging Slasher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:24 am 

metalandnba wrote:
Sorry, but almost nobody uses the proper space before a new paragraph, here. I think if we gonna take things to this level of scrutiny, perhaps half of the reviews from the site would be rejected.

Sorry? I understand that the whole quotation issue is up for debate, and that opinions regarding the quality of writing are important, but things have to be taken to that level of scrutiny. Diamhea rejected one of my reviews a while back because the spacing was incorrect between the paragraphs. No hard feelings dude, but you've got to do things like spacing your paragraphs correctly. Just take things a little slower, perhaps? I'm always glad to see people from non-English speaking countries contribute reviews, so don't give up. I look forward to what is to come. :thumbsup:

metalandnba
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:34 am 

Roffle_the_Thrashard wrote:
metalandnba wrote:
Sorry, but almost nobody uses the proper space before a new paragraph, here. I think if we gonna take things to this level of scrutiny, perhaps half of the reviews from the site would be rejected.

Sorry? I understand that the whole quotation issue is up for debate, and that opinions regarding the quality of writing are important, but things have to be taken to that level of scrutiny. Diamhea rejected one of my reviews a while back because the spacing was incorrect between the paragraphs. No hard feelings dude, but you've got to do things like spacing your paragraphs correctly. Just take things a little slower, perhaps? I'm always glad to see people from non-English speaking countries contribute reviews, so don't give up. I look forward to what is to come. :thumbsup:

Yeah, maybe you're right. Rules are rules. I'm gonna think about what I'm going to do. Thanks for the support!

Roffle_the_Thrashard
Thrash Slinging Slasher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:53 am 

No problem!

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:59 am 

The guys went through a lot of effort to critique the review in ways that it could be improved, but in all honestly it was close to acceptable. The only real issue as far as I am concerned were the glaring typos.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

metalandnba
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:05 pm 

Diamhea wrote:
The guys went through a lot of effort to critique the review in ways that it could be improved, but in all honestly it was close to acceptable. The only real issue as far as I am concerned were the glaring typos.

huuummm.... I think that this changes the picture substantially. OK, then I will try and correct the mistakes to send again.

raspberrysoda
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:06 pm 

This is my review of Melvins' Dale Crover EP

This is the second Kiss-parody EP by Melvins, this time featuring only Dale Crover (the drummer, which does the vocals and guitars for this as well) and Debbi Shane on bass. Musically, this isn't the typical Melvins album. It has a grungier sound than Melvins records usually have, which might be a result of Dave's connection with Nirvana (he played drums on 3 songs from their Bleach album).

The first two songs of EP: "Hex Me" and "Dead Wipe" sound like something that would have came out of Nirvana's "Bleach." They are very grunge-like tracks, and show Dale's vocal abilities (he sounds almost exactly like Kurt Cobain. I'm not joking), guitar playing (which is not that bad, actually. And again, it sound like Kurt Cobain's) and drumming. Dale's drumming is quite noticeable in the entire Melvins discography, as he has a very wide range of styles and influences, from hardcore punk to doom metal.

The last two songs, "Respite" and "Hurter," have a more Melvin sound to it. They tend to a sludgier sound than the former tracks, but still keep the musical approach of them, adding an Alice in Chains vibe to the songs. They are built mostly of power chords, with added reverb and echo effects, which add to the sludgy sound. This side also has the powerful drumming of the first two songs, and Dale's great vocal capability.

The production is the best production an EP like this should have. It emphasizes every single note played by every instrument, including the chugging bass riffs, which play a very important role in this EP. Dale seems to manage with the recording of the other instruments, and gives a great vocal delivery.
The lyrics are pure Melvin lyrics. Every Melvins release features some very bizarre lyrics, and "Dale Crover" shows a perfect example of the typical lyrics that appear throughout their discography. They are very childish and eccentric, but are written very wisely and wittily. If you like Melvins, Alice in Chains, Nirvana, and Black Sabbath's Vol.4 this EP is for you. Very recommended.

stainedclass2112 wrote:
It was a joke you darn can of fizzy sweetened liquid

BastardHead wrote:
Somebody is getting murdered but poor razz just wants his beauty sleep.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 1:46 pm 

metalandnba wrote:
But there are too many things that are pure subjective opinion, like Grave_Wyrm put it above, for the most part, he just plain simple didn't like the way I wrote. ... there are still gonna be other points of contention, making too hard for me to contribute, I guess.

It may be unlikely, but I hope this thread acts more as a sort of all-levels writing lab, not simply to hammer reviews into submission.

My notes had very little to do with personal distaste. Some of your sentence structures or phrasing were downright confusing and can be easily cleaned up. Content doesn't need to please a reader, but clarity does, don't you think?

As far as the formatting goes, if you're here looking for notes and your formatting is off, it's going to get pointed out by someone. Mr. Humanity might call it "fucked balls"; I might give you a parenthetical; your review might be rejected on that basis alone. Tough bones. Besides, it's difficult to argue that bad formatting has precedence and thus should be disregarded in any new submission. I hope the mods' perspective on that doesn't change. Grammar and formatting are easy fixes, and editors are a good idea for any writer. Getting notes like these helps you to contribute.

raspberrysoda wrote:
Melvins' Dale Crover EP

space-saver spoiler
Dale Crover "the drummer who," not "which."

It's a touch redundant, and could use more textural language in the descriptions, but as far as a general skeleton with the beginnings of meat on it, it's a decent start. It looks like you've taken the recent notes to heart and have a motivation to improve. As you keep writing, try to evoke more with your descriptions. I only mention this because even if I know what you're talking about, your reviews lack texture and personal insight. Your reviews appear to be sparse summaries, which is ok if that's all you set out to do. Writer's choice.

Personally, I don't like phrases like "a more Melvins sound to it," since music can be described better than that. Of course it's useful for people who are familiar with the Melvins, but when "Melvins-y/pure Melvins lyrics" or "sludgy" or the like make up the majority of your descriptors, that's a little thin for me. Reason being that these are something like symbolic language, whereas I want more elemental language, actual adjectives and verbs that serve to communicate more than utility. It's all a step in a positive direction, I just want more. For example, 1) You describe this as a Kiss-parody. This fact is mentioned once and never elaborated on. Don't neglect the central theme of any album in your reviews. 2) when talking about the lyrics: "wisely and wittily" how? Lyrical style isn't talked about very often, and I like that this stood out to you. Give us an example or two of the lyrics and explain. 3) "powerful drumming." Does this mean machine gun fast, slow but really fucking loud/no frills time keeping, few fills and consistently mid-tempo, etc.

Using brand-only language is like saying your review is "very raspberrysoda" and leaving it at that. It speaks only to the ingroup, and this shortcut can read as (or more likely actually be) lazy.

metalandnba
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:49 pm 

Grave_Wyrm wrote:
metalandnba wrote:
But there are too many things that are pure subjective opinion, like Grave_Wyrm put it above, for the most part, he just plain simple didn't like the way I wrote. ... there are still gonna be other points of contention, making too hard for me to contribute, I guess.

It may be unlikely, but I hope this thread acts more as a sort of all-levels writing lab, not simply to hammer reviews into submission.

My notes had very little to do with personal distaste. Some of your sentence structures or phrasing were downright confusing and can be easily cleaned up. Content doesn't need to please a reader, but clarity does, don't you think?

As far as the formatting goes, if you're here looking for notes and your formatting is off, it's going to get pointed out by someone. Mr. Humanity might call it "fucked balls"; I might give you a parenthetical; your review might be rejected on that basis alone. Tough bones. Besides, it's difficult to argue that bad formatting has precedence and thus should be disregarded in any new submission. I hope the mods' perspective on that doesn't change. Grammar and formatting are easy fixes, and editors are a good idea for any writer. Getting notes like these helps you to contribute. [/quote][/quote]

I see, thanks for the tips. My point is, even clarity is kind of subjective in my opinion, but of course, if you think it was not good enough, you're right to tell me so. All of you are being very supportive and willing to help me, I appreciate it big time. I already changed my stance on the matter and re-submitted the review with the corrections, let's see if it is going through this time.

TadakatsuH0nda
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:53 pm 

Slow and steady I'm feeling better about my reviews. It takes me a long time to put them out, since I tend to listen to albums I enjoy for several months/a few years before I decide to weight in on them, this is my most recent for Ezo's Fire Fire, what can I add or improve on going forward? I also plan on rewriting some of my earliest reviews to my current standards and already rewrote my Barque of Dante review.

Ezo were undeniably a part of the glam metal scene in both Japan and the U.S., with a definitive sleazy sound that gravitated towards commercial appeal. They're typically remembered for 1987's E.Z.O which made them the second Japanese metal band to make the American music charts behind Loudness, but the band never ended up catching on in the States and as a result disbanded after the release of Fire Fire.

Upon hearing this album, multiple reasons this band never made it overseas stand out immediately. Masaki Yamada's English is excellent throughout all songs present on the album partly thanks to good lyricists; and though his pronunciation truly is quite good, his voice is very harsh and is extremely nasally, while their look stands firmly on the metal side of the spectrum (don't go by the Ezo band photo, that was a promo photo from their first album, take a look at Flatbacker's photo for an idea of what they generally looked like when performing) so you won't find any pretty-boys here, and in addition to that, the band's instrumentation is a great deal heavier than that of their peers, making them stick out in the glam metal scene like a battleship at a boat show. You won't find a ballad anywhere in Ezo's discography.

Lyrical fare for the most part is typical of the era; romance, rocking, and sex, though the band strays from this on a few occasions, such as Black Moon, Night Crawler, or the title-track Fire Fire, which is not only one of my all-time favorite J-metal songs, but possibly the heaviest, darkest song the group released as Ezo, with a theme of apocalyptic despair and the demise of everything both good and evil, finally being equal, and possesses a sinister tone and an excellent riff by Shoyo Iida driving the song forward along with Yamada's great vocal performance.

Though this album is as much a hard rock album as it is a heavy metal one, it's all bloody heavy as well as ultra catchy. I've been listening to this for years now and its appeal to me has never waned. I'd heard rumors a while back that Shoyo Iida thought poorly of his contributions to Ezo, and if that's the case that would be a real shame, because he's proven himself as a master riff-craftsman here and one of the best things about the album, not to take away from the other members (they even had Anthem/Loudness' drummer, Hirotsugu Homma!), just listen to Back to Zero, Streetwalker, Night Crawler, or Love Junkie and try to resist rocking out to them.

I don't hear of this album a whole lot in comparison to the band's self-titled one, which is a crying shame. I actually prefer Fire Fire to E.Z.O by a small margin and with Skid Row's recent incredible cover of Fire Fire, I got back into listening to this again full-time having forgotten how good this really was. Fire Fire is quite simply a fun ride the whole way through, and if you appreciate the hard rock and sleazier heavy metal of the 80s, you'll certainly find plenty of enjoyment in this offering, especially considering that (to me) it doesn't have even the slightest bit of a language barrier weighing it down, mind you, by this point I'm a deranged lunatic for Japanese metal and am desensitized to most Engrish if it's present, but back on topic, try Fire Fire, chances are you'll like it.
------------------------------------------------------------------
Japanese Metal Forum

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:32 pm 

Not much to add on TadakatsuH0nda's Ezo review other than the obligatory titles&tracks formatting, the second paragraph should probably be separated into at least two more sentences, and even though the review isn't poorly written, its musical description is almost vague. I know that this probably sounds odd when it IS being described ("c'mon, wyrm, he says sleazy, dark heavy metal with catchy as fuck riffs and harsh nasal vocals and fuck a ballad, what do you want from him!?"). While I have minuscule doubt that this is an acceptable review (not to mention it piqued my interest just fine), writing can always be better. To me the review has little to no genuine atmosphere, and I look for that in my reading material. Descriptions are present, but in the end they strike me as almost simplistic or clinical. I would like to have a better sense of the overall effect of the album to give more body to the lables and observations. Other than this arguably negligable point, a decently complete review.

TadakatsuH0nda
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:59 pm 

Grave_Wyrm wrote:
Not much to add on TadakatsuH0nda's Ezo review other than the obligatory titles&tracks formatting, the second paragraph should probably be separated into at least two more sentences, and even though the review isn't poorly written, its musical description is almost vague. I know that this probably sounds odd when it IS being described ("c'mon, wyrm, he says sleazy, dark heavy metal with catchy as fuck riffs and harsh nasal vocals and fuck a ballad, what do you want from him!?"). While I have minuscule doubt that this is an acceptable review (not to mention it piqued my interest just fine), writing can always be better. To me the review has little to no genuine atmosphere, and I look for that in my reading material. Descriptions are present, but in the end they strike me as almost simplistic or clinical. I would like to have a better sense of the overall effect of the album to give more body to the lables and observations. Other than this arguably negligable point, a decently complete review.

Thanks! I'll try to apply the above more as I continue.
Japanese Metal Forum

Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:00 am 

This is my recently rejected review for Amaranthe's The Nexus. The rejection reason can be summed up as: 'Too much focus on band history, not enough musical description'.

I felt this album was similar to their debut, but with a few nuances that make it that much better. I tried to focus on those, but clearly my focus was horribly misguided.

I don't really know where I focused too much on history... but clearly I did. Is it where I talked about their style at the start? Is it my constant comparisons to their debut? Is it the massive bit on the vocalists? Please help me out!

A word of warning: The longer my reviews get, the more boring they get. That is just how I write, I am afraid, and I am not really creative enough to liven it up. And this is a long one, so sit down comfortably.

Amaranthe's second album, on first glance, could be summed up with the words 'business as usual'. However, once several alterations to their formula are taken into account, this album begins to show Amaranthe's true direction. As the score above indicates, it is a very good move on their part. This is a considerable step up from their fun yet flawed debut.

For those that don't know, Amaranthe play what can be described as metalcore. It retains the general short, punchy nature of the genre, a chugging rhythm section, the odd melodic death metal influence and the whole harsh verse/clean chorus contrast. But, the clean choruses aren't the limp, emo nonsense one would expect, being replaced with far more powerful and upbeat clean melodic hooks. There is a greater emphasis on synthesisers and other electronic effects, which almost pertains to pop music. Lead sections are emphasised more too, which is atypical of most metalcore. On the whole, this sound was pretty much established on their eponymous debut, but this album puts greater emphasis on key elements that play to this band's strengths.

One of the first is the mix of the album. The production on the whole is very crisp, almost sterile, and quite loud too. This is about what one would expect for a fairly modern, commercially geared album, and it sounds similar to their debut. However, on that album, the guitars took centre stage, where as here, they share it with the synthesisers. This has the effect of adding considerably to the upbeat power metal sheen the music generally goes for. They manage to give the songs considerably more melody and make them work better on an atmospheric level. This music makes the listener feel... happy! Or, if it is a slower ballad like 'Burn With Me', it makes the listener feel sad. This gives the music added depth that the chugging debut lacked and needed.

Another element to the band's sound that must be mentioned is the 3 vocalists at work. They consistently trade off throughout each song, with hardcore screamer Andy Solveström, male clean vocalist Jake E Berg and lead female clean vocalist Elize Ryd. On the debut, Elize was largely relegated to the chorus, where as Andy and Jake generally traded off on the verses. This isn't really a good thing, given the fact that Elize is a far better vocalist than either of those two. Andy is the generic screamer that is entirely interchangeable. He isn't terrible, but once again works against this album's attempt at being melodic, glory-filled... Power Pop Metal. Meanwhile, Jake E Berg is a tad weak as a vocalist. His voice has some attitude, but his voice trembles a lot, in addition to being quite rough at times. He isn't particularly expressive, and merely feels like he is taking time from Elize. Her voice is quite thin, but not overly shrill. Unlike Jake, her voice is very smooth and doesn't sound nearly as strained at higher notes. In addition, as the acoustic tracks prove, she can hold her own when her voice is exposed.

That was an awfully similar commentary on the vocal performances to the one I gave for their debut. However, the band clearly know their strengths now, by giving Elize more time in the songs and putting a greater emphasis on the choruses. In the past, the choruses lacked the impact they do here, but by expelling Andy altogether from the hooks, and making Elize's voice louder in them, she brings the songs to life. In addition, she begins to appear more in verses and injects some of the sugary, poppy qualities of her voice into those as well. The end result is a collection of far more memorable and enjoyable songs. Highlights on this front are 'Afterlife', the title track, 'Mechanical Illusion', 'Future On Hold' and especially 'Electroheart'... that last one is embarrassingly memorable, in fact.

Now of course, all of these details mean nothing if the band don't put at least competent performances into them. You will be pleased to hear that nearly every single band member has improved from the debut, and no one gets worse. Elize expands the range she uses on this album, and puts more power and energy into her voice. She constantly sounds motivated and very 'into' the music, for lack of a better term. However, even more impressive is how much Jake improves here. Despite me ragging on him a lot, he has gotten much better at what he does, even when following the same vocal style as before. He sounds far less strained, as well as also expanding on his range and sounding more gutsy altogether. Andy is pretty much the same as before, though to his credit, it is difficult to improve on a generic hardcore scream. He just does what he does rather well.

As far as the instruments are concerned, Olof Mörck removes the grooves from his performance altogether, and instead focuses on chugging. His leads have gotten more technically accomplished and memorable, especially when given a mere 30 seconds to let one rip (a solo, that is). His true achievement here, as stated earlier, is the keyboard work. He layers them over the chugging guitars, which reduces the overall heaviness of the album, as well as dialing back the metalcore (and thus the hardcore) in the music. In its place is a much more suitable power/pop metal aesthetic that meshes well with Elize's voice, which is only compounded by her increased time here. Drums don't really do much, they are mostly functional in that they keep time. He does at least have the restraint in not showboating and taking time away from the leads or vocals, which are the main focus here. Also, he never throws the whole arrangement off kilter by trying to be clever, which is only a good thing. The bass... is there, somewhere. I can hear it for about 2 seconds on 'Future On Hold', and appears to be following the guitars and helping to provide a powerful low end, together with the chugging. Just doing its job, really.

Now, this isn't perfect, obviously. Regardless of the increased depth and atmosphere, this is at the end of the day, shallow and plastic pop metal. The songs are very simple and predictable. You know, 'verse-chorus-verse-chorus-breakdown/solo/both-chorus x2'. However, that isn't necessarily a bad thing, because the music succeeds in being fun, upbeat and catchy, all in 4 minutes or less. And sometimes, it even goes above that at times. Some of the choruses on this album become... downright beautiful. I might be gushing a tad here, but the hooks to 'Mechanical Illusion', 'Future On Hold' and 'Infinity' make me feel... warm inside. This album is not always plastic fun pop, for even it has a soul amongst the otherwise purely commercial nature of it all. This still is not for everyone, but I can see this being perfect for those trying to get into metal through a poppy side door, or metalheads that want music to cater to their poppier sensibilities, particularly fans of metalcore, hardcore and power metal.

It is pretty clear from this that I have run out of steam after a fairly active month, hence the need for a long break once again. After fixing up (or rewriting) this, I shall bid my farewell for a few months.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:18 am 

Are you sure you didn't modify this? I don't remember exactly how unbalanced it was, but this seems more than acceptable now. I may have made a mistake and rejected the wrong review?

Dunno why you would want to stop, your reviews have been pretty enjoyable to read while moderating the queue, and FYI, more than half of submissions get rejected, so it isn't like it doesn't happen to the best of us. Hope you don't quit, but if you think you need a break, have at it.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:30 am 

Derigin rejected it, Diamhea. Clearly he thought something was wrong with it. Obviously, different mods have different standards.
The review is completely unaltered, because a preliminary analysis of it is required before the postmortem (a.k.a. the complete destruction of the review :lol: ) can begin, right?

As for me leaving, it is only temporary. My reviews tend to come in 'blocks', with 4 in April (before the disastrous WCFYA review), 8 in June (until I was worn out after the virgin release challenge) and now this. I don't like to keep at reviewing for too long, else they begin to get sloppy. A proverbial slap in the face like this causes me to rethink how I write reviews over the break, meaning that there is a slight incremental improvement each time.

Plus, I have the upcoming sixth form to deal with (basically 2 years between secondary school (what North Americans call 'high school' I think?) and university (what North Americans call 'college', I believe)). That is quite a good reason to put my energy into something else for the time being. Glad to know someone enjoys my reviews somewhat though!

TadakatsuH0nda
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:44 pm 

Here's my latest, I worked on making it more engaging than my previous efforts, how did it go?

Nokemono - From the Black World
The Start of it All - 90%
From the Black World is a massive landmark in Japanese metal history. Nokemono were a band that appeared out of nowhere in 1978 and by 1979 released the first Japanese album that was heavy metal through and through, nearly a full decade after the Flower Travellin' Band helped influence the genre. There's huge significance here, because there wasn't another heavy metal band even remotely close to Nokemono's caliber in Japan at the time, (don't call me out on Bow Wow, as they weren't a metal band quite yet) Flower Travellin' Band were long gone, Action! were only in their early stages and didn't truly get going until the mid 80s, heck, Loudness' debut The Birthday Eve only appeared in late 1981, nearly a full 3 years after From the Black World. What followed this album was the formation of the entire Japanese metal scene.

You can picture the Japanese teens in 1978 being blown away by this home-grown band performing with a young Judas Priest (!) across Japan on their tour for Stained Class, and the impact that would have left on them, wanting to play heavy metal themselves. When listening to From the Black World, you can hear the bands that influenced Nokemono, for the most part Deep Purple and Rainbow, as well as perhaps a bit of influence from early Scorpions a la Taken By Force era, as well as Bow Wow's first few mid 70s albums when they were still a hard rock band, but more importantly you can hear bands that they influenced themselves. Despite being influenced by Bow Wow, Bow Wow would return the favor and emulate and improve on Nokemono's style on Warning From Stardust, when they became a heavy metal band themselves. I would also go out on a limb and say that X Japan took a good bit of influence from Nokemono too, for just a small example, listen to the opening to the track Ushinawareta Ai and then listen to Kurenai's intro; the similarities are uncanny and could easily be interchangeable.

Musically this album is all around excellent. It's exceptionally innovative and stylish, and has a huge NWOBHM feel, despite being such an early album from Japan of all places. Ace's vocals are very strong, with a similar delivery to Kyoji Yamamoto's style, but aren't as hyper, though still smooth and very nearly as good. Cherry's bass is played to excellence, taking on melodies constantly throughout and driving the music forward with as great of an effect as a bassist can possibly have without overwhelming the other instrumentalists, Popeye's drums are nimble and and slick and with an added cowbell on certain songs, it contributes largely to From the Black World's overall catchyness, but perhaps the best of all is the guitar work of Rolla and Buchan, with plenty of fantastic riffs throughout, their guitar tone isn't one that typically comes to mind for a metal album, as I'm more accustomed to hearing it on the rock albums of the 70s, though it works brilliantly well. The whole band's chemistry is crazy tight and every member compliments the others.

One of my favorite things about this album is the production quality which is good enough to beat out a large portion of the Japanese metal albums of the 80s and early 90s. This is a 1979 heavy metal album from a (at the time they were recording this) fairly obscure band in Japan, and everything is leveled beautifully, the instruments are very clear and it's evident they put plenty of effort into these aspects. If I had any complaint at all about this, it would be a couple of tracks sounding awful similar to others on the album for example Ari Jigoku sounding like Run Away, though this is made up for firstly by them both being great fun songs, and secondly they're both at opposite ends of the album.

All in all, From the Black World is an album that deserves and needs to be remembered, without this band the Japanese metal scene would likely sound entirely different that it currently does, because before Nokemono the only Japanese band that was recording and playing actual heavy metal was the Flower Travellin' Band who were bigger outside of Japan than in it, and by no coincidence in the two years after Nokemono toured with Priest, the number of bands increased exponentially with Japan's most influential metal acts bursting onto the scene. If you want to hear not only a solid early metal album, but one that helped define Japan's early metal scene, as well as if you're a fan of Bow Wow's style, this is most certainly an album you won't want to miss out on.
Japanese Metal Forum

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:02 pm 

For how historical the style is, I found this reasonably easy to read. I like how patient the pace is. It needs to be, with how much information is there. Considering how many album and song titles you reference, it will be even easier to read once they are formatted.

Seems like you're hitting on/practicing a style that's working for you. Personally, I think the more professional writing style works in your favor over the casual moments like "don't call me out on Bow Wow, ..." and the almost uncharacteristic run-ons in the final paragraph. It's easy enough to reframe those bits in keeping with this very tidy, but somehow not prudish, style you have going here.

TadakatsuH0nda
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:43 pm 

Grave_Wyrm wrote:
For how historical the style is, I found this reasonably easy to read. I like how patient the pace is. It needs to be, with how much information is there. Considering how many album and song titles you reference, it will be even easier to read once they are formatted.

Seems like you're hitting on/practicing a style that's working for you. Personally, I think the more professional writing style works in your favor over the casual moments like "don't call me out on Bow Wow, ..." and the almost uncharacteristic run-ons in the final paragraph. It's easy enough to reframe those bits in keeping with this very tidy, but somehow not prudish, style you have going here.

Changed a little bit up and submitted, because after pointing it out, yeah a couple bits looked a little out of place. And yes, I'm trying to settle into a general writing style that feels natural where I can throw in a bit of history behind the band or release while still expressing why I like or dislike it. Thanks yet again. :)
Japanese Metal Forum

DarknessShadows666
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 12:53 am 

Hello. This is a review of I Declare War's album "What You Deserve." I'd like to know if it's good enough to submit. Also, I know that the first paragraph is just talking about my history with I Declare War and isn't exactly talking about the album itself, but I think it has some relevance to the review.

Title: A Pleasant Surprise
Rating: 70%

"Pleasant surprise is one of the best feelings you can feel. I reviewed "We are Violent People by Nature" by I Declare War awhile ago. I hate that album along with the self-titled abomination from 2011 that they also did with current vocalist Jamie Hanks. So with that said, I hate the Jamie Hanks era of I Declare War. At the time I reviewed their 2014 shit storm, I said in the review that I never listened to enough stuff from the Jonathan Huber era of this band to form an actual opinion on it. Now, I listened to 2 of the 3 albums they did with him (What You Deserve and Amidst the Bloodshed) and I can safely say that I actually LIKE this era of I Declare War and it is certainly better than what they're doing now!

A brief way to describe current I Declare War is to say that they sound like they're trying to be Whitechapel's annoying little brother. However, that isn't the case here (well, that would be kind of impossible, since not only did the original I Declare War form before Whitechapel, but they also started releasing full lengths on a year when Whitechapel were still making demos and nobody has ever heard of them. But I digress). For the most part, I probably wouldn't really call this original, but it doesn't really sound like they're trying (and failing) to copy another band.

Jonathan Huber is a solid vocalist. I wouldn't say he is as brutal as someone like Phil Bozeman but he is still brutal. I would choose this guy over Jamie Hanks (though he is a decent vocalist too). His vocal performance is like 99% lows. The only highs he ever does is briefly at the beginning of "Unsung Beauty," which sound decent, but he mostly shines in the lows department. He also does brief moments of talking too at some parts.

The lyrics are okay. "Through the Eyes of the Killer" is about a killer. "Not the End," "Love is Dead Part 2" (what a shitty title) and "Unsung Beauty" are about killing whores, which is typical for deathcore. "As They Burn Alive" is about everyone dying, which in that song, there is also a sample of that "your mother sucks cocks in Hell" line from The Exorcist that had me laughing. "My Choice My Pledge" is about being straight edge and proud, which makes me laugh for some strange reason. However, the lyrics from this album that I REALLY like are from "Don't Give Up." The lyrics to that song are kind of unique for deathcore, actually. In this song, the lyrics are about a lover who died from substance addiction, which I don't really think I ever heard a deathcore band write about that and I happen to really like it.

The instrumentation is simple, but it's enjoyable. The guitars are just chugging the whole time, which I don't really mind. There are also some melodic parts too that I find to be pretty enjoyable. The drumming is decent. The snare drum has a tinny sound to it. I'm not a fan of that sound but I think it can sound okay sometimes. At first, it really annoyed me but as the album went on, it annoyed me less. When the drummer isn't blast beating the fuck out of the drum kit, he is doing breakdown beats, which speaking of breakdowns, there are a lot of them. Some of them are long and boring, but the other ones are alright. They aren't as crushing as Thy Art is Murder's breakdowns, but they certainly aren't as dragged out and boring as Wanking the Cadaver's breakdowns. There is nothing to be said about the bass. The production is heavy, very raw and (by technical standards) isn't very good (but I like it), but that is to be expected, since not only is this their first album, but it is also self-released.

Overall, this is an enjoyable album. It's not amazing by any means, but I like it and the chances of me coming back to it are not absent. Does it match up to deathcore greats like Whitechapel and Thy Art is Murder? No, but does it incinerate the atrocities that they are releasing now? Abso-fucking-lutely! Since there are no copies of this album left being sold in stores, I think it would be nice if they re-release and re-record this album. Jamie would replace Jonathan's vocal tracks, but since I still like Jamie's vocals, that wouldn't be too big of a problem. My favorite song off of this is either As They Burn Alive or Don't Give Up, but I like all of them (aside from the worthless intro).

Rosenthorn
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 4:33 am 

DarknessShadows666, I am far from anything resembling an experienced reviewer, but you probably don't need a whole lot of that first paragraph.

Obey the dolphin!

DarknessShadows666
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 8:56 pm 

Rosenthorn wrote:
DarknessShadows666, I am far from anything resembling an experienced reviewer, but you probably don't need a whole lot of that first paragraph.

Well, first off, you don't really need to be the world's best reviewer to point out flaws with other reviews. Second off, okay. I understand what you mean. Here is my attempt at shortening it. How is this?:

"Pleasant surprise is one of the best feelings you can feel. I hate the abominations that I Declare War released with Jamie Hanks known as their self-titled album and "We are Violent People By Nature." At the time I listened to those shit storms, I never listened to enough stuff from the Jonathan Huber era of this band to form an actual opinion on it. Now that I did, I can safely say that I actually LIKE this era of I Declare War and it is certainly better than what they're doing now!"

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 3:36 pm 

DarknessShadows666, this reads like a first draft. I'm generally confused by the first two paragraphs. I'm not familiar with the band and I can't keep track of what time period you're talking about, or the structure of your comparisons between the album you're reviewing and others from the band's history. Other than that, it's basically a matter of just making it interesting to read. Basically this review reads like a string of fairly crude first impressions. Using this piece as a reference draft or as an outline would be better than trying to rework what you have here. Have a look up a couple posts at TadakatsuH0nda for an example of a relatively new reviewer with a decent sense of flow and cohesion.

DarknessShadows666
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:46 pm 

Grave_Wyrm wrote:
DarknessShadows666, this reads like a first draft. I'm generally confused by the first two paragraphs. I'm not familiar with the band and I can't keep track of what time period you're talking about, or the structure of your comparisons between the album you're reviewing and others from the band's history. Other than that, it's basically a matter of just making it interesting to read. Basically this review reads like a string of fairly crude first impressions. Using this piece as a reference draft or as an outline would be better than trying to rework what you have here. Have a look up a couple posts at TadakatsuH0nda for an example of a relatively new reviewer with a decent sense of flow and cohesion.

This pretty much is the first version, actually. Alright, I'll take what you said into consideration and see what I can do to improve this. Thank you for the help, I appreciate it.

paradisebeyond
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:48 am 

Erosion of Humanity wrote:
You need to learn the rules of capitalization, if you're writing out a song or album title like Gates of Purgatory you need to capitalize properly. Not just the first word.

About the review itself; you spend far too much time talking about other bands and you only focus on like three songs. All I know about it is that they have riffs like Maiden and sound like a couple of other German bands from '84. But what does all that mean?

Aside from talking about the lyrics (which you do fine at) you spend almost no time talking about this album in particular, just relating it to other releases of the time.

Thanks for your review. I took note of your comments, reviewed the whole capitalization and put more information about how does it sound (largest paragraph), hope it's clearer now.
--

The country? Germany. The year? 1984. The same year when Running Wild released “Gates to Purgatory”, Warlock released “Burning the Witches” and Helloween participated in the split “Death Metal”. The sound? What would later be known as “German metal” or “Teutonic metal” and with time would evolve and split into power metal and speed metal. So, all these bands caught the tide and the influence of the NWoBHM but adjusted the British sound to the German characteristics, basically gave the sound a touch of death-cold, as all these bands back then came in the “spikes, leather and the occult” format.

What we’ve got here is a surge of raw NWoBHM, totally uncompromising and with very grim lyrics. In fact, throughout their next 4 releases their trademark would be precisely their gothic-themed lyrics, courtesy of Lee Tarot (Harald Spengler, RIP), which would win them the nickname of “Masters of the black romantic”.

Musically, they show a high degree of skill. Guitarists Lee Tarot and Steve ‘Snake’ Merchant (Stephan Kauffman) are capable of delivering Maidenesque riffs – in fact I tend to liken the instrumental “Excalibur” with Maiden’s Transylvania, they both share this kind of medieval metallic approach. Drummer Pete Lancer (Pete Langer) delivers a thundering load which you can best appreciate in “Werewolves on the Hunt” (that title pals, those lyrics…). And Andy Aldrian (Andy Mück) gives an aura of evil to the very wicked lyrics with his distinctive, raw voice; although he doesn’t focus on high notes, he’s also capable of delivering them (towards the end of “Werewolves on the Hunt”). From beginning to end, the album features elaborate soloing, constant and profuse riffing patterns (many times approaching Maiden-like gallops) and a stout and solid rhythm base. Some nice surprises for fans of progressive metal await as there’s some attempts at progression, or at least what constitutes a common feature to many progressive albums, that is, rhythm shifts; these can be seen, for example, towards the middle of “The Cave of Steenfoll”, with a couple of consecutive, all encompassing, intricate rhythm shifts which then give way to the solo. Most songs share a fast tempo, with the exception of “Priest of Evil”, which in turn has a more atmospheric, thick, dense approach.

Lyrically, this album is rather different from what their compatriots were doing at that time, feels closer to Mercyful Fate or even Venom, most songs revolve around different aspects of evil (Satanism on “Priest of Evil”, piracy on “Skull and Crossbones”, witches on “Walpurgis Night”) and anguish (“Werewolves on the Hunt”, “Flour in the Wind”). The songwriting was good in particular, no cheesy lyrics or dodgy rhyming, most of it is consonant and, without a blink of the eye, evokes very powerful, dark imagery. In one sentence, the listener will be thrown into an unpolished string of ruthless and visceral obscurity, like on

Priest of Evil:
Torches blaze
the air is full of sulphur yellow haze
Holy beast
they've come to celebrate your bloody feast

Werewolves on the Hunt:
Don't look back, they follow your tracks
You can hear them growl and grunt
Start to run, the chase has just begun
There are werewolves on the hunt

Flour in the Wind:
Every time when this fog appears
There´ll be no harvest only hunger and tears

All in all you can see the tone of the lyrics and the quality of the rhyme. There’s very few bands that have been capable of creating such powerful, agonic, evil atmosphere, even less back in 1984.

A few songs deserve special attention. I think the one that really outstands here is “Werewolves on the Hunt” both lyrically and musically. Very few other metal songs to that date succeeded in evoking such an overwhelming impression and mood. First with the title, think of a bunch of werewolves out for blood, chasing you in a forest (“Deep in the misty forest, In nights when wind stops blowing”). This song is very fast paced approaching speed metal (by 1984 standards), and has a very intricate, complex, Maidenesque, fast, 90 seconds solo accompanied by continuous hammering drumrolls. “Flour in the Wind” presents a wicked miller who goes on to steal the harvest of a village, leaving them no other choice but crude starvation, plain and simple; the song features reminiscences of Maiden’s gallops, complex guitar chords and continuous drumrolls in perfect harmony with Mück’s voice and dark lyrics (“death, pain, agony, famine is spread on through the air”). The other track that shines over the top for me is the instrumental Excalibur, which revolves around a riff pattern with some chord progression, a melancholic solo and a fast blast towards the end, with a whole load of drumrolling through and through.

To recap, this unique jewel combines power, speed, lyrics and technique, all into one; don’t expect any concessions here, this is crude, raw metal made in Germany with a high degree of musicianship and dark lyrics at its best, making this a rather unique creation.

Maalux
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:06 pm 

Hello, guys.
Moderator Diamhea has rejected this review twice, and the second time, even after I triple-checked on all possible mistakes and didn't find the single one.
Well, probably there is still something bad, and it's beyond my knowledge of English language.
And of course, I would like to hear all the possible complaints, in order to not repeat those mistakes in the future. Thanks.
Below is the review.

Eerie - Into Everlasting Death --- Into Everlasting Journey - 100%

An absolutely amazing and indisputable masterpiece brought us Eerie as their debut album. Everything is at the best: music, guitars, riffs, drums, recording, lyrics, and atmosphere. It is a nugget in a big dump of crap of different kinds. But it is a fair reward for those who did not disregard to search in this dump pile, and I am proud that I was among those chosen ones, because the album left a mark in my mind, probably, forever.

I love the way Eerie found themselves in such restricted and specific genre as black metal. By saying this, I mean that their sound is a perfect example of how nihilistic black art should be made: atmospheric intros and dismal tremolos that changed by rapid dsbm-like shriek pieces and evil thrash riffing with blast-beats. It just grabs me into the endless outer space, whilst I am flying among the stars with no any purpose, and no any doubt, not even emotions, or matter, such as a life. That is right, I do not need to live in order to hear this. This is what you hear when you become nothing: a chaotic play of the void in a timeless dimension.

"The flat circle of universe / Moving, repeating itself / And again / Abyssal voices screaming in agony / The black earth opens / And again."
Lyrics. They are amazing. I can not reflect the way they influence me. I feel something different inside: an inner voice, that has a different tone, answers to the song. The chill embraces me as I am listening to these lines: "Circles, / Again, / And again, / And forever." This will never end. A dance of the power that destroys itself.

And absolutely incredible culmination in the song "Of Descending Moon", probably, the most epic ending that I have ever heard on albums at all. It is a combination of all the anger and hatred that were growing all this time before this moment, the moment of the merge with the everlasting death, and this final burst is like the rays that come from the dying black hole - the huge amount of energy that destroys all the life and leaves only black space.

paradisebeyond
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:42 am 

Maalux wrote:
Hello, guys.
Moderator Diamhea has rejected this review twice, and the second time, even after I triple-checked on all possible mistakes and didn't find the single one.
Well, probably there is still something bad, and it's beyond my knowledge of English language.
And of course, I would like to hear all the possible complaints, in order to not repeat those mistakes in the future. Thanks.
Below is the review.

An absolutely amazing and indisputable masterpiece brought us Eerie as their debut album. Everything is at the best: music, guitars, riffs, drums, recording, lyrics, and atmosphere. It is a nugget in a big dump of crap of different kinds. But it is a fair reward for those who did not disregard to search in this dump pile, and I am proud that I was among those chosen ones, because the album left a mark in my mind, probably, forever.

I love the way Eerie found themselves in such restricted and specific genre as black metal. By saying this, I mean that their sound is a perfect example of how nihilistic black art should be made: atmospheric intros and dismal tremolos that changed by rapid dsbm-like shriek pieces and evil thrash riffing with blast-beats. It just grabs me into the endless outer space, whilst I am flying among the stars with no any purpose, and no any doubt, not even emotions, or matter, such as a life. That is right, I do not need to live in order to hear this. This is what you hear when you become nothing: a chaotic play of the void in a timeless dimension.

"The flat circle of universe / Moving, repeating itself / And again / Abyssal voices screaming in agony / The black earth opens / And again."
Lyrics. They are amazing. I can not reflect the way they influence me. I feel something different inside: an inner voice, that has a different tone, answers to the song. The chill embraces me as I am listening to these lines: "Circles, / Again, / And again, / And forever." This will never end. A dance of the power that destroys itself.

And absolutely incredible culmination in the song "Of Descending Moon", probably, the most epic ending that I have ever heard on albums at all. It is a combination of all the anger and hatred that were growing all this time before this moment, the moment of the merge with the everlasting death, and this final burst is like the rays that come from the dying black hole - the huge amount of energy that destroys all the life and leaves only black space.

Stumbled upon your post. Maybe I'm not one to give advice, but may I suggest you focus more on your feelings about the album than on the album itself? I think it's a common issue with reviews..., i.e., review-reviewers have told me "I don't know anything about the music you're trying to describe", and things like that. Anyway, just a suggestion, maybe more experienced reviewers can also help.

Maalux
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:28 pm 

paradisebeyond wrote:
Maalux wrote:
Hello, guys.
Below is the review.

Stumbled upon your post. Maybe I'm not one to give advice, but may I suggest you focus more on your feelings about the album than on the album itself? I think it's a common issue with reviews..., i.e., review-reviewers have told me "I don't know anything about the music you're trying to describe", and things like that. Anyway, just a suggestion, maybe more experienced reviewers can also help.

Have you listened to the album? If not, then I suggest you to, because that is why the review is so unusual. It completely reflects the product. If you have concerns regarding the way I am writing, not the grammar, then I have also 2 other reviews (of course, I'm just a beginner and not gonna go against it), and you can take a look at them either.

Rosenthorn
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 2:54 am 

Maalux wrote:
paradisebeyond wrote:

Have you listened to the album? If not, then I suggest you to, because that is why the review is so unusual. It completely reflects the product. If you have concerns regarding the way I am writing, not the grammar, then I have also 2 other reviews (of course, I'm just a beginner and not gonna go against it), and you can take a look at them either.

A big reason why reviews get written (in general) is to give a potential buyer some idea of what the product is, what the buyer can expect from it, and whether or not the product is worth it. Your review definitely gives us a good idea of what you think of it, but it only talks about the actual music for one sentence, which doesn't give us as a potential listener a really good and specific idea of whether the music will be something we like. The writing is solid, but I'd recommend expanding that sentence into a paragraph or two talking about the actual music. How is the production? What does the guitar tone sound like? How does it compare to other similar works? What qualities do the vocals have? How present is each instrument in the overall mix?

Obey the dolphin!

Maalux
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:47 am 

Rosenthorn wrote:
Maalux wrote:

A big reason why reviews get written (in general) is to give a potential buyer some idea of what the product is, what the buyer can expect from it, and whether or not the product is worth it. Your review definitely gives us a good idea of what you think of it, but it only talks about the actual music for one sentence, which doesn't give us as a potential listener a really good and specific idea of whether the music will be something we like. The writing is solid, but I'd recommend expanding that sentence into a paragraph or two talking about the actual music. How is the production? What does the guitar tone sound like? How does it compare to other similar works? What qualities do the vocals have? How present is each instrument in the overall mix?

Thanks for the advice, I'll consider your opinion in my future reviews and will try to expand this section.

However, I'm still waiting for somebody to point out on my "mistakes".

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 2:08 am 

Maalux, have a look at the site's review rules. If you can compare your work to those, you can fix any mistakes in that regard that you find on your own. Only a moderator can comment on work's acceptability.

Stylistically, it can be improved. Empassioned similitude like this runs the risk of being inaccessible. Your review gives us a clear picture of your personal experience of the album, and I enjoy that you took obvious pains to reflect the album's gestalt in your writing. It is awesome when we encounter work that sparks our imaginations like this. However, you have to bear in mind that your descriptions are all subjective, and that the review does have to include a fair amount of objective content. In this piece there seems to be insufficient description of the music itself. While in general it is appealing that I might behold for myself a pervasive expanse of senseless void created by a collapsing star, when all is said and done, I'm going to be listening to black metal. I want to hear more about the black metal.

Avoiding a track-by-track like a fishing boat avoiding a plague ship, elaborate on the progression of the album and on the compositions. This will help provide an accessible critique of why everything they're doing is the best possible shit. Analysis helps substantiate enthusiasm.

Maalux
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:55 am 

Grave_Wyrm wrote:
Maalux, have a look at the site's review rules. If you can compare your work to those, you can fix any mistakes in that regard that you find on your own. Only a moderator can comment on work's acceptability.

Stylistically, it can be improved. Empassioned similitude like this runs the risk of being inaccessible. Your review gives us a clear picture of your personal experience of the album, and I enjoy that you took obvious pains to reflect the album's gestalt in your writing. It is awesome when we encounter work that sparks our imaginations like this. However, you have to bear in mind that your descriptions are all subjective, and that the review does have to include a fair amount of objective content. In this piece there seems to be insufficient description of the music itself. While in general it is appealing that I might behold for myself a pervasive expanse of senseless void created by a collapsing star, when all is said and done, I'm going to be listening to black metal. I want to hear more about the black metal.

Avoiding a track-by-track like a fishing boat avoiding a plague ship, elaborate on the progression of the album and on the compositions. This will help provide an accessible critique of why everything they're doing is the best possible shit. Analysis helps substantiate enthusiasm.

These are not grammatical mistakes. The reason of rejection my review was exactly "Poor grammar". And as I know, poor grammar isn't the same as poor stylistics. What really bothers me is a desire to know where did I messed up with the grammar. I appreciate your response regarding my way of writing, and of course I will consider it in the future, but I still didn't get the answer about what I really need. Could you give me some information about the grammar, please?

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:58 am 

Maalux wrote:
Hello, guys.
And of course, I would like to hear all the possible complaints, in order to not repeat those mistakes in the future.

I see why I didn't know you wanted grammar help. You didn't say you needed grammar help.

An absolutely amazing and indisputable masterpiece brought us Eerie as their debut album. (incomplete sentence) Everything is at the best: music, guitars, riffs, drums, recording, lyrics, and atmosphere. It is a nugget in a big dump of crap of different kinds. But it is a fair reward for those who did not disregard to (grammar, wording) search in this dump pile, and I am proud that I was among those chosen ones, because the album left a mark in my mind, probably, forever (remove the second comma).

I love the way Eerie found themselves in such restricted and specific genre as black metal. By saying this, I mean that their sound is a perfect example of how nihilistic black art should be made: atmospheric intros and dismal tremolos that changed by (that "are" changed by? Not clear what you mean here.) rapid dsbm-like shriek pieces and evil thrash riffing with blast-beats. It just grabs me into the endless outer space, whilst I am flying among the stars with no any purpose, and no any doubt, not even emotions, or matter, such as a life. (grammar. "without" any purpose, etc.; "such as a life" also unclear.) That is right, I do not need to live in order to hear this. (Poetic, but confusing) This is what you hear when you become nothing: a chaotic play of the void in a timeless dimension.

And absolutely incredible culmination (grammar, incomplete sentence) in the song "Of Descending Moon", probably, the (comma grammar) most epic ending that I have ever heard on albums at all (awkward phrasing). It is a combination of all the anger and hatred that were growing all this time before this moment, the moment of the merge with the everlasting death, and this final burst is like the rays that come from the dying black hole - the huge amount of energy that destroys all the life and leaves only black space.[/quote]

stuff like that. A lot of the sentences are coherent, but could be improved with better phrasing. Have a fluent English speaking friend go over this with you, maybe.

Maalux
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 12:20 pm 

Grave_Wyrm wrote:
stuff like that. A lot of the sentences are coherent, but could be improved with better phrasing. Have a fluent English speaking friend go over this with you, maybe.

Thank you. Now this is really makes sense. I appreciate that you spent your time pointing out what is wrong with the review, and of course it will be helpful for me in my future works.
Sad that I'll never be able to speak/write in English language as good as a native speaker.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 12:29 pm 

Maalux wrote:
Sad that I'll never be able to speak/write in English language as good as a native speaker.

You know, there are several non-native speakers on this board alone who speak English better than some of the people I go to school with, so .. practice and not huffing glue are keys to improvement.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74 ... 108  Next