Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic  
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:54 pm 

One facet of the community that I'm sure many of us have noticed is the adoration of a certain circle of reviewers. This is in some cases due to prolificity and/or a result of a distinctive, memorable writing style. So how about the junior varsity team, which consists of a number of familiar faces that just don't get the love despite featuring some qualities unique to themselves? This thread is for you guys, and I will start with two.

joncheetham88: Diverse, multifarious taste coupled with a very smooth writing style and competent descriptions. His reviews can be a bit long at times, but only when he actually has a good bit of merit to say. Can't say enough about this guy.

Liquid_Braino: Nobody knows "female-fronted" like this guy, and this is a throne I suspect he will never vacade. Sometimes laugh-out-loud funny, but never distractingly so.

Add some more.

http://www.myspace.com/thevala
http://www.last.fm/user/Diamhea

BastardHead
Magic Mike

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:03 pm 

Liquid_Braino is my soulmate. I love everything he's written.

DCCLXXVII
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:47 pm 

There was this guy who wrote a bunch of reviews back in 2011. His username was thejoker. While his reviews where somewhat short most of the time, they were insightful and helpful, despite the fact that I disagree with almost all of his opinions (the only exceptions I can think of are Erasmus and Vaakevandring).
In the light of Christ

mjollnir
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:51 pm 

I actually like reading the reviews by hammersmashedeverything. I don't agree with him all the time but he does good reviews. He only has a few under his belt so I would like to see more from this user.

I also agree with Diamhea when it comes to joncheetham88 and Liquid_Braino. As a mater of fact, Liquid_Braino's reviews has turned me on to some of that kick ass female fronted j-rock power metal.

The Elitist Metalhead
The Elitist Metalhead on Facebook

joncheetham88
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:57 pm 

Thanks for mentioning me guys, and this is a good idea for a thread.

I often plug HeySharpShooter, but I'll bring him up again here 'cause he just covers the stuff I tend to dig in a detailed and frank fashion that I enjoy reading. dismember_marcin is one I've been reading whenever he turns up recently, another bloke with a lot of knowledge and a colourful if highly conversational way of writing, sort of seems like a tidied-up transcript of alcohol-fueled rambling I'm often party to myself which might be another reason I relate to it.

http://baileysmmcreamy.blogspot.com

Zodijackyl
Lazy Wizard

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:05 pm 

I have always enjoyed Twisted_Psychology's reviews. Fairly concise, to-the-point, easy to read, and pretty accurate on both his own analysis and summaries of general receptions.

Ilwhyan
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:48 am 

MettleAngel wrote very enjoyable, light-toned reviews that managed to be nicely descriptive despite the enormous amount of puns of album, band and song titles he worked into the reviews. It's pretty amusing stuff. In some of his later reviews he got a little carried away, though. I recommend his Beyond Twilight review.

Maybe not as much underrated as just niche appeal.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:45 am 

Sean16 used to write cool reviews. There is just something about his style of reviewing that works.

TadakatsuH0nda
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:07 pm 

LiquidBraino is spectacular, I thoroughly enjoy joncheetham88 and BastardHead's stuff too, "I would rather staple my nutsack to my nose..." is the greatest line in reviewing history. I get a kick out of Bitterman too.

Reply to topic