Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Lane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2024 9:52 am 

I have been reading my old reviews and sometimes I wouldn't change much or anything in them (often having some cool moments in time captured in them), but the score might be erroneous.

On my own website, I've added updates on some of the reviews (latest example).

I would like to hear what's your view on this kind of stuff?

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2024 1:33 pm 

I personally think it's fine to change your old reviews as long as you make it clear that it's an updated version. I've had to do that with one of my old reviews where I made it clear that I don't stand by it anymore, but I'm keeping it up for historical purposes.

aidane154
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2024 1:47 pm 

I edit mine all the time, I don't drastically change my overall points tho usually. More like just a change to the percent or if I find a better way to say something. If I did fully change my view on an album I would be more inclined to write a new one rather than add an update section to the old one tbh

Lane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2024 2:08 pm 

Thanks guys, for them tips.

I've done this, adding an update, to some of my oldies. I've also re-written some reviews. Of course it is normal for opinions to change during time.

I think I have to redo some lines on that Pro-Pain review on this site. More than adding that "update" paragraph...

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2024 3:53 am 

If it's just editing the score a few percent it probably doesn't matter that much, but if something makes me reconsider the album in a new light I think I would make it clear either in the intro or conclusion that I was adding new content and changing the overall view. Because I write quite descriptively (my views are not always that strong), I don't have too many reviews that I want to change later.

But for someone who comes back 3 years after their review and makes an edit, it's always interesting to know what happened. I think that's of benefit to the reader.
the dismal stench of The Chicken Bone Gallows on the Plains of Mediocre Desolation was unleashed upon the unsuspecting world by the unholy rusty lawnmower molester horde that is Satan's Prenuptial Charcuterie from the endless field of tombs that is Butthill, Alabama

Reply to topic