Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 2214
Of Runes and Men

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 7:17 am 

http://www.metal-archives.com/review.php?id=12666

Quote:
Fucking raawwww... - 67%
Written by Snxke on December 2nd, 2002

This short blast of blasphemy is certainly unlistenable compared to the more structured and booming beats leveled into the first LP. While the drum machine sound is shit the weird vocals still own the songs. The only problem one might see in this though is that the shoddy construction of the songs does not allow it to compete with the superior Rampage tracks.

Sorry Asmodeus - your LP was great but this is certainly not as worthy...

oh...dear..

Reaper
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 12:53 pm 

http://www.metal-archives.com/review.php?id=2547

Quote:
New Album from the new kings of metal - 95%
Written by Saffron_85 on February 17th, 2003

After hearing “Ecliptica” I was very exited when I bought “Silence”. Was it possible to do something better than their debut?
It was!
The feeling when you hear the intro is just great. This has to be the most genius intro ever made (Maybe beaten by Rhapsody’s intros)
Then “weballergy”. Just like “ecliptica” this album starts with a great, fast song about the Internet.
And the album just getting better and better ‘til the last and probably best song ever made:
“The power of one”. Wow, This song is just fabulous! The lyrics. The melody, Tony’s voice everything is just…. Great.

So if you like melodic metal: BUY THIS!!!!

GoD
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 6:40 pm 

http://www.metal-archives.com/userprofi ... g_Massacre

Sample of one of his insightful reviews:
"There really is nothing else much to say about this album, except that it is a must for all fans of death metal, cause without it, you are not really a man. Well...I guess you would be if you were a guy, no matter what...But...oh screw it. Just get the damn album."

He also has the worst profile I've ever seen, and the most annoying review-titles. His reviews are probably just about acceptable but they still make me want to drive a fork into his spine for some reason. Thought I might post this in the hope that one or two reviews of his would get blitzed.

Might have been posted before actually, 'cause I recall somebody mentioning the overuse of the word 'cool' in the review-titles.

Pyrus
Rabbi of Riffage

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 6:50 pm 

Os wrote:
Crazy Ivan is not happy.

:lol: "I want to slash my wrists, but I'm too cowardly, so I slash my prices instead!"

All of those last few deleted, with the exception of Snxke. I hesitate to delete his reviews for some reason, cause most of them seem to capture the essence of the music in a few short sentences. I dunno...maybe that's an exception.

I'll go through Rizling's sometime.

UltraBoris
Speed Metal Satan

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 7:19 pm 

Indeed. I can't put my finger on it, but Snxke's reviews for the most part are well-written, just not long.

Orphaned_Light
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 11:58 pm 

Did anyone look further into Rizling possibly ripping off reviews?

Egregius
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 7:58 pm 

Intoxicata wrote:
http://www.metal-archives.com/review.php?id=12666

Quote:
Fucking raawwww... - 67%
Written by Snxke on December 2nd, 2002

This short blast of blasphemy is certainly unlistenable compared to the more structured and booming beats leveled into the first LP. While the drum machine sound is shit the weird vocals still own the songs. The only problem one might see in this though is that the shoddy construction of the songs does not allow it to compete with the superior Rampage tracks.

Sorry Asmodeus - your LP was great but this is certainly not as worthy...

oh...dear..

It's art.

Ktulu
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 10:51 am 

Osmium wrote:
http://www.metal-archives.com/review.php?id=1106#612

Quote:
Good, but not as good! - 85%
Written by PowerMetalGuardian on December 31st, 2002

Good, but not as good! That basically sums up the 4th Legacy! Everyone was telling me how great it was! Personally I was not impressed, but don't get me wrong! 4th Legacy is a good album, which I will purchase in the nearby future, but it is not the best Kamelot has done! One of the reasons why I didn't like this one as much is because there are a lot of the Kamelot ballads. A couple of them are pretty cool, but they can get repetitive. Songs like the 4th Legacy are surely Kamelot classics! And because Khan has outstanding vocals I give this album a B! If you love Kamelot, 4th Legacy is definetly one to get!!!

Crazy Ivan is not happy.

Quote:
Who will trade his Karma for my Kingdom? - 99%
Written by PowerMetalGuardian on December 22nd, 2002

Kamelot has done it again with the leading talented vocalist Khan! The opening track "Regalis Apertura" is the best instrumental opening I have ever heard! All the songs are magnificent, great solos, great vocals; everything a power metal album could ask for! It has it's heavy songs(i.e. Forever, Wings of Despair, Karma), but it also has some slow melodic songs(i.e. Don't You Cry)! Don't You Cry, alone is the best power metal ballad I have ever heard, and it's even better when Khan sings it in French (Ne Pleure Pas)! Along with the regular tracks, there are 3 other songs under the title of Elizabeth. Not for sure what this is exactly, but I am pretty sure it tells some sort of story! All in all every song is magnificent and worth listening too over and over!

Great, eh?

~

http://www.metal-archives.com/review.php?id=13025#612

Quote:
Khan delivers again - 100%
Written by PowerMetalGuardian on December 30th, 2002

My equation for Epica:
4th Legacy + Siege Perilous / Karma = Epica!
Epica is due to release in January, but through sources and mp3 sharing, I got to listen to this album ahead of its due date! This album is great. I would not say it is better than Karma, but on equal levels(see equation). Khan deleviers again. He is an amazing vocalist that keeps Kamelot up at the top!
Some great songs on Epica are: Center of the Universe, Wander, Descent of the Archangel, and many more! Probably my favorite would be Lost and Damned! The only thing I don't understand about this album; there is a lot of parts including an arcordion!!! Anyways, if you like Karma, Epica should definetly be on your wish list! I am getting it as soon as it hits the shelves!

These review remind of a certain Seinfeld episode. Why the hell does almost every sentence need to end with an exclamation mark? These reviews blow! I am at work! Slacking off! I will be going to get coffee soon! Nuke these reviews!

Reaper
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 11:02 am 

Hahahahah!!! You're right!! That was a great episode!!! :lol:

Reaper
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 8:51 pm 

http://www.metal-archives.com/review.php?id=3879#267

Quote:
The fall into pathetic artiness... - 52%
Written by Snxke on November 3rd, 2002

I actually tried to give this record a chance besides the usual BM sloganeering and I must say that it's a large failure. The voivod borrowed riffs provide some grand sweeping music but the tin-can drums, the amusing goth tinged vocals and terrible (bassless) production leave me cold.

This is certainly not an organized, intelligent or even fun black metal album...it's just four men trying to impress the more artsy side of the musical spectrum...

DrBell
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 12:32 pm 

You guys are getting too picky. Pretty soon one will have to write a lengthy essay just to get their reviews to stay on the site. A lot of those short reviews are no worse than some of the longer ones, but people only notice the shorter ones as being crappy. Hell, many of these short ones aren't that crappy. You just need to say a little about the music or compare it to something, and say how you feel about it. I don't see why you should HAVE to talk about it for 1000 words or something. Pretty soon we are gonna only have the opinions of people that have time to write long reviews, and these opinions probably are fairly different from the social average.

DrBell
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 12:34 pm 

That said, a lot of the reviews do need to go, but I generally think the ones with obvious flaws need to go, such as giving an album a 100 then describing its problems. Or giving an album a 100 and saying it's not better than something you gave a 99, as powermetalguardian just did. I would get rid of both of those, but I am not sure what I would do with the 4th legacy review.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 2:27 pm 

Well said, DrBell. I especially agree with the first post.
Minimalist can be okay, for three points, if it's not too broken and says at least something.
I guess this bears repeating, once again:
Quote:
And by that, I mean a review that truly begs the question, "Who was so high/drunk/asleep that they accepted this?". Not just a review you disagree with, or that's merely average.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

UltraBoris
Speed Metal Satan

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 3:14 pm 

Good points, Bell. I reject plenty of long, shitty reviews, and approve good short ones too.

Now go back to studying!!!

Pyrus
Rabbi of Riffage

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 4:39 pm 

Aye. There's a world of difference between Snxke and PumpkinFlyFree.

Egregius
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 6:35 pm 

DrBell wrote:
You guys are getting too picky. Pretty soon one will have to write a lengthy essay just to get their reviews to stay on the site.

HEAR HEAR.

!

~Guest 2214
Of Runes and Men

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 7:07 am 

Ugh...grammar police...

This review isnt bad,but it has the WORST grammar ive seen on the site yet.

Quote:
Kernal Sanders says eat my drums - 100%
Written by Symphony_Of_Terror on April 2nd, 2004

Everything that makes this album what it is, is great. Drumming, guitars, vocals, screams and growls, keyboard, lyrics. They are the done to perfection on this album. The range on In Their Darkened Shrines is equally amazing, from brutal death metal, to technical death metal, to songs with apocalyptica keyboards. It offers so much in the death metal genre that this must be owned.

I think obviously what stands out the most on In Their Darkened Shrines is the incredable drumming. Its insanly fast, complex, and the main draw of all the songs. Its not often that a band's drumming makes as much as an apperance as the guitars or the vocals. Here the drumming totaly blows the vocals away, and is much more interesting that the guitars. The drums are so fast and complex they draw most of your attention to them. They change so much, its not just a repeated beat, every 5 seconds its something new, just as fast and just as heavy, they are relentless(aside from the keyboard parts). They are simliar to Absu's Tara album or Death's Human and Induvigual Thought Pattern Album. If you love drums this album is for you.

The guitars are also done very well on this album, they range from brutal riffs, to very technical riffs. They complex, fast, and heavy. They can be both brutal and technical with intricate riffs and guitar work. The solo's are just amazing. The guitars also work very well the keyboards, at times working with them to make the keyboards heavier and darker. The keyboards aren't those power metal keyboards that suck, but usually simulate a deep horn with a choppy sound. To make the songs seem powerful or apocalyptic.

To top off all the songs the vocals are deep and brutal. Many screams and growls and some great lyrics. Its great how 3 of the band members all sing, it makes the vocal work much more powerfull. The lyrics are just great if your into history or Egyptian mythology, they are very intelligent lyrics.

This is the death metal album with the best drumming I have seen. The band is origonal with their lyrics and sound, they use this origonality to make one good album here. Its lasting appeal is great. There is nothing I don't enjoy about it. From the fast drumming to the keyboards and lyrics, its a great death metal album. It starts out fast and brutal and ends strong.

Quote:
This is the death metal album with the best drumming I have seen.

since when could you see an album??

stickyshooZ
TO HAVE AND TO HOLD

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 3:40 pm 

DrBell wrote:
You guys are getting too picky. Pretty soon one will have to write a lengthy essay just to get their reviews to stay on the site. A lot of those short reviews are no worse than some of the longer ones, but people only notice the shorter ones as being crappy. Hell, many of these short ones aren't that crappy. You just need to say a little about the music or compare it to something, and say how you feel about it. I don't see why you should HAVE to talk about it for 1000 words or something. Pretty soon we are gonna only have the opinions of people that have time to write long reviews, and these opinions probably are fairly different from the social average.

I agree. It's actually better if you can say more about something by writing less. No one wants to read a 10 page essay that tries to build up. In college, professors teach you to get to the point and not add a bunch of unesscesary crap in your essay. Write more by writing less.

Exkretor wrote:
The new Sadus sounds like fucking wrestling music.

Lord_Jotun
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 7:17 am 

I don't mind a review's length at all; if it's well written and rich in content (e.g.: it describes the music in detail, analyzes how this particular release sounds like compared to the other(s) the artst(s) have put out if there are any, it keeps an eye on the lyrical content as well, etc.) I find it pleasant to take my time and read through it all. On the other hand, a concise review that gets straight to the point without bypassing any fundamental point is equally welcome.

What I don't like: reviews full of repetitions, reviews that bitch about how this band is gay / untr00 / whatever the reviewer does - or fantastic / mindblowing / whatever the reviewer has wet dreams about not like WITHOUT EXPLAINING WHY.
I can even look past terrible grammar if the conent is worth it (unless the grammar itself makes the content indecipherable, but I doubt such a thing would be approved anyway), after all English isn't even my native language.

Thus I have spoken. (yeah, too much free time today)

Metalli_Priest
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 8:46 am 

Virgin Steele had constantly developped during all these years & with "Invictus" perfection was near. At first You get a bit worried that they have become a little too ambitious. With a playing time of nearly 80 minutes one could assume that some songs are just fill-outs, but that´s not the case! Extremely well arranged & varied songs, that in some cases reach a new hight after about 5-10 minutes (f. ex. Veni, Vidi, Vici). The music is a little hard to describe, but a more symphonic "Kings Of Metal" era Manowar are pretty close, much because of the similar vocals. An underrated classic!

http://metal-archives.com/review.php?id=2763

And the obligatory 3 points describing how lacking the review actually is...

"VS have developed, there are varying arrangements and it's more symphonic than Kings of Metal."

stickyshooZ
TO HAVE AND TO HOLD

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 8:33 pm 

http://www.metal-archives.com/review.php?id=29857#778

Quote:
Okay, I have to start off by saying how I used to love these guys, right? -Well I did, I even thought Horror Show had only one or two throwaway tracks, I liked Barlow but thought Ripper would be cool too, but right now I'm considering going through my cd collection and burning everything that starts with an i so nothing that is even remotely connected with this suckfest ever reaches my ears again. Come to think of it, maybe I should terminate the entire h-j section (even the Priest stuff!), just in case this horrific pile of festering &%/%#¤ is somehow infectious.
No, seriously, this record should be the one called Horror Show, simply because that's what it is -a fucking horror to listen to that is.

I have the european version, so luckily I'm spared the national anthem thing, which I wouldn't listen to unless I was promised a refund for this turd of an album. And even then my money would probably be better spent wasted than listening to the star spangled fucking bannner (which doesn't even sound that bad by itself, but preceding this crap it would be about as compelling as a bikini shot of Lynndie England, with or without Iraqi prisoners).

anyways, the "album" starts off with Declaration Day, wich -you guessed it- fucking sucks dick like George Michael who's been wandering the desert without a drop of liquid for about five months. It's eager, but it's not that good.
I don't find the "patriotic" lyrics disturbing, though (in this one anyway), it's just a historical type of song, though maybe a bit idealised -well screw that, the lyrics are nothing special either way. The music however, manages to be incredibly generic, yet worse than anything that's been cast from this particular mold before. Also, the guitar tone on the whole album is strangely dry and cold, which is strange since you'd think Schaeffer (the fuckwit, not the dog) would at least get THAT right -it's not like there's a band to stop him from getting the sound he wants, is it??

Anyway on to the other songs -I can't remember the correct order, so you'll have to excuse me if I fuck up- "When the Eagle Cries" is so bad it almost makes Osama Bin Laden wish he hadn't fucked with the U.S. -just to avoid this song being made -IT SUCKS SO BAD IT MAKES ME WANNA CRY, DAMMIT!!! However, the vastly patriotic Eagle in the booklet that just can't help shedding a tear almost made me cry again -this time with laughter, though. The lyrics are perhaps the most uninspired drivel I've ever read (except Red Baron, that is) and yet they manage to be the most pretentious, patriotic, brainwashed crap that I've ever seen at the same time. Simply amazing.

The Reckoning is more 9/11 stuff as far as I can tell. If so, someone should tell Schaeffer that the terrorists fucked up two buildings and about 3.000 people. The U.S. fucked up two countries and God knows how many people in retaliation, yet it's still "the high road" as opposed to "eye for an eye", which he says he'd prefer?!?!!

Attilla is kind of nice, even if it's just second-rate IE. Yet it sounds heavenly after listening to whatever precedes it. Yup, no real bad stuff to say about that one, sorry.

Red Baron/Blue Max/Ass Fuck however, reeks so much that I actually thought I'd been magically transported to septicland, where little ass-fairies throw around rancid feces for recreation. The lyrics are so dumb, Mein Kampf stands out as a textbook example of applied logic, the riffs are tediously aggressive or aggressively tedious -I forget which. The shrieking part is good, even though the lyrics still manage to kill the enjoyment totally: The reeeeed battle flyyyyer -come on Ripper, if you can't do better lyrics don't try. In fact, don't even try breathing and walking around at the same time, it might prove to much for you.

Well, I can't say anything bad about Hollow man. Namely because I can't envision words that would be bad enough to do this pile of &%¤# justice. Even if I could I wouldn't -they would blast the sanity of anyone reading them and probably everyone who knew their names too. I'm surprised I'm still alive, frankly.

Waterloo is the European bonus track -and it's actually quite good. Very barlowesque vocal melodies and background vocals. Ripper does a nice job, Schaeffer too, I guess. If the album had only had this song and Attilla on it, it would've scored much higher. Maybe 40, even. Because even if it's decent, it still sounds like something that didn't make the last album.

Valley Forge actually starts out sounding vaguely interesting, right up until the first chorus -then everything's just shot to hell. This sounds exactly like the other "watching over me"'s and let's face it, the first one wasn't all that great -in fact it sucked and so does this.

Then the much heralded super-epic (obligatory) trilogy: Well, it sounds like a good idea and until you've actually heard it you might think that it is. It isn't however, even though nothing sounds completely crappy (except the ending, which does, plus raises a lot of questions begging not to be answered; somehow I've never thought of General Lee as both a complete pussy, an incessant whiner and a screamer -but hey, that's just me.). Let me tell you what's wrong: First of all, it's NOT an epic. Creating a grand musical landscape with orchestra and sound effects and whatnot, spanning over 30 minutes might be a good idea, I can't say that it doesn't sound like it. All I can say is this; if you take three long songs, each consisting of:

instrumental/acoustic intro
Verse (Midtempo, boring-as-fuck)
Chorus (Midtempo, boring-as-fuck, with screaming vocals thrown in the mix)
Random instrumental passage (you guessed it -midtempo, boring-as-fuck)
fade out to Chorus (need i say it? Mt b-a-f with even more screaming vocals)

and slam them together, plus an ending consisting of:

Whining vocals/screaming vocals (midtempo, hilarious-as-fuck)

you've not created an epic. You've created three long, boring-as-fuck songs with bad lyrics stolen from a book about the civil war. Plus, not astoundingly, a complete waste of time and space.
Well, that concludes todays venomous rage. If I forgot any songs, assume they are so horribly boring and/or bad that I didn't even care to put them down.

In closing, this record actually makes me dread the "Something Wicked" concept album, that I've been looking forward to for about five years.
I sincerely hope that Jon Schaeffer is either let out of the secret dungeon that the aliens from Bore'emalltodeathis imprisoned him in while their imposter (that didn't even bother to learn playing the guitar but figured his time was better spent learning to spew "patriotic" bullshit) unleashed this, their secret weapon of Multicrappus upon us unsuspecting metal listeners.
If someone gives you this as a present, spit in their face, indicate that their families prostitute themselves and/or regularly perform acts of bestiality, then ask if it can be returned to the store in exchange for actual music (or better yet money, the music would be tainted by association) -then break off all relations.

Exkretor wrote:

chaossphere
Metal Lunatic

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 9:41 pm 

stickyshooZ wrote:

Quote:
review.

That one is fucking hilarious. Hence why it got accepted.

Decent grammar, spelling and punctuation: check
Decent job of analyzing the music: check

Conclusion: disagreeing with a review does not make it oven fodder. Now go away before I beat you senseless with your own limbs :P

stickyshooZ
TO HAVE AND TO HOLD

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 10:03 pm 

chaossphere wrote:
stickyshooZ wrote:

Quote:
review.

That one is fucking hilarious. Hence why it got accepted.

Decent grammar, spelling and punctuation: check
Decent job of analyzing the music: check

Conclusion: disagreeing with a review does not make it oven fodder. Now go away before I beat you senseless with your own limbs :P

It's not the fact that I disagreed. I just found it didn't describe the music as well as it could have. Most of the review is him just going, "I used to love this band...but this $&*^@*!^*!$@ SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!1".

It did describe the music a bit; but I guess it's up for normal acceptance standards in some respect. No big deal, I just didn’t really gather much information from his review because he was too busy crying.

Right :grin:

Exkretor wrote:

chaossphere
Metal Lunatic

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 12:42 am 

stickyshooZ wrote:
It's not the fact that I disagreed. I just found it didn't describe the music as well as it could have.

That pretty much describes most of the reviews on this site. Fact is, most people simply don't have the language skills and/or motivation to describe the music in any detail. Besides that, it's generally difficult to do so without using utterly vague terms or going into muso-speak which would baffle anyone with no formal musical training. Thus, I tend to judge reviews on how interesting they are to read, while regarding "music description" as a secondary concern. Obviously if the effort is there, i'll generally award higher points than if it isn't ;)

stickyshooZ
TO HAVE AND TO HOLD

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 5:43 pm 

Yeah, I wasn't thinking right. Forgive please. But this one...I don't know how this one got accepted.

http://www.metal-archives.com/review.php?id=27129#8294

Quote:
THIS IS FOR THE ELITE!!! - 95%
Written by LARVAEMASTER on May 19th, 2004

oh man, i find this demo as one of the best in the extreme underground Death Metal scene!!!!! I knew Bestial Warlust and I got their cd, I really like it, but this demo is awesome!! The brutality contained on it its almost unmatched, it has the best elements from Immolation or Rottrevore but with their own style, not a shitty copy!!! I love the vocals too, they are very brutal. I cant wait to have al their stuff on cd out on BloodHarmonic Prods. from Australia!!! THIS IS A MUST FOR ANY FAN OF THE TRUE BRUTAL DEATH METAL!!! HELLHORNS UP!!!

Some music is described by comparing it to Immolation and Rottrevore, as well as vocals...but nothing else. I've never heard Immolation or Rottrevore, so I don't know what it sounds like - other than the fact that it's DM.

Exkretor wrote:

chaossphere
Metal Lunatic

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 7:29 pm 

Now that one is definitely retarded.

*KABOOM*

Pyrus
Rabbi of Riffage

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 7:36 pm 

:oh shit:

I don't know how I let that one past. I really shouldn't be going through reviews when I'm in a good mood; I get too nice.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 7:38 pm 

http://www.metal-archives.com/review.php?id=17341

Quote:
The Blood Calls For WAR! - 89%
Written by Samana88 on March 31st, 2004

I was expecting a more Nokturnal Mortum type sound, but my expectations are false, untrue... Aryan Terrorism has a totally different sound than Nokturnal Mortum. The use of synth is far smaller in Aryan Terrorism's War. I even expected the music to have that same type of folkish influence that Nokturnal Mortum uses so greatly, however, wrong again. Aryan Terrorism has no folkish influence, no song on here is has nature sounds, only bombs going off, German orators, and other coming of war type sounds. Lyrics are alot different also, there are more WP messages, chants even: White Pride World Wide, Our Only Solution Is White Revolution, Slawa Slawa Hey Hey Hey, that sort of chanting, i find this to be strange and quite a change from Nokturnal Mortum. During one song its hard not to think, "is this Burzum?" That song is track 5, Devistate Their God, begins with some major guitar feedback and then cuts to a pure Burzum riff with drumming that sounds alot like Burzums, this strikes me as strange.

Aryan Terrorism shall indeed rise to become a great Slavic NSBM band.

This review tells me that the album doesn't sound like Nokturnal Mortum.

Quote:
Crush the Lies - 100%
Written by Annihilaytorr on February 13th, 2004

This is an amazing album. The riffs and music are great, the lyrics and vocals are utterly vicious, and this has the purest ideology possible. The whole album sounds great, the production is raw but not so that you cannot hear anything, instead the instruments come though like a chainsaw. The vocal patterns are diverse and often you can understand what the lyrics are. That adds effectiveness to this kind of music. Their are also melodic passages that provide great atmosphere. Even the Hatecore song on the album is worthy. This cd would have been great Blackmetal anyway, but coupled with the ideology and image and lyrics, this is a true weapon against the filth. I wish I could score this album 14/88.

This one tells me that the riffs and music are great, and that the whole album is great, and that the production lets you hear things. And that it has "the purest ideology possible". And the atmosphere is great.

stickyshooZ
TO HAVE AND TO HOLD

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 7:46 pm 

Pyrus wrote:
:oh shit:

I don't know how I let that one past. I really shouldn't be going through reviews when I'm in a good mood; I get too nice.

We all do weird things sometimes. ;)

Exkretor wrote:

Pyrus
Rabbi of Riffage

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 7:46 pm 

Nuked the first; a bit ambivalent about the second.

stickyshooZ
TO HAVE AND TO HOLD

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 7:52 pm 

I was reading the first guys profile (Samana88). He says in there about how he lost a shitload of points. FOr some reason that made me laugh.

"That was totally fucked up in my opinion".

Exkretor wrote:

Estigia666
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 8:12 pm 

Quote:
Soooo tragic = / - 95%
Written by MutualTyranny on February 14th, 2003

Ohh yes this is THE album... my beloved Death that got me into metal in the first place...Listening to this album and thinking that Chuck (The king, the god, the ruler of guitars) is dead makes me wanna cry like a baby.

Ok, well the album is just so damn melodic and yet so aggressive...
Gene Hoglan´s tecnical drumming mixed with Chuck and co.s (un)divine riffs makes your ears wanna scream and dance in (un)pleasure.

For you who never heard the song "Symbolic" - shame on you!!!

/Mutual Tyranny

Useless random fanboy ranting plus no REAL description of this particular album (there are a lot of albums that are melodic, yet aggressive...).

http://www.metal-archives.com/review.php?id=616#875

chaossphere
Metal Lunatic

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 8:44 pm 

Gone

This one is also gone:

Quote:
symbolic has zero tolerance for sucking. - 90%
Written by iced_savior on August 21st, 2003 [ delete review ]

This album is the kind of death metal you can really sink your teeth into or some other cliche. This band was so tight, everything came together so well in this album. Drumming is tight the riffage would probably make all the ladies finger themselves. Even the death metal vocals are enjoyable. Hi lites of this album include 1000 eyes which is so easy to listen to, Crystal Mountain is epic, zero tolerance, and ofcourse Perrennial quest. Perrennial quest caps of the album in such a tranquil way. It was so beautiful when I first heard the acoustic outro, it brought a tear to my eye. Well not really but I was definitely thinking about using the water works. This is my personal favorite death metal album. It fucks really hard. Buy this album if you want good death metal. If you don't want good death metal than buy cannibal corpse. I'm kidding cc you guys are probably good.

Wow, it fucks real hard... poetry in motion :roll:

stickyshooZ
TO HAVE AND TO HOLD

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 9:04 pm 

http://www.metal-archives.com/review.php?id=254#975

Quote:
No one can beat Mayhem - 95%
Written by Morteizen on June 21st, 2003

De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas is top quality black metal, you can't beat them. The vocals are the biggest standout on this album, Csihar does a great job and really gives this album it's raw feel. Csihar's part really makes this a very original and creative Black Metal piece. Hellhammer's drumming is also another aspect I like about this album. This album kicks ass, and some people out there are jackasses and just can't admit to it. There is a history behind this album also, with the Count and Euronymous, but if you don't know all about that already then you're stupid or something. The best tracks on this album are, Funeral Fog, Freezing Moon, Pagan Fears, Life Eternal and De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas. The only reason I took 5 off is because De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas is a great song, and the vocalist really fucks it up halfway through it, such potential too.
Anyway, this album is a definite buy.

Okay, what I gather from this review is that he thinks Attila's vocals are unique, he respects Hellhammer's drumming, he thinks the album kicks ass, and he likes the listed songs.

Exkretor wrote:

stickyshooZ
TO HAVE AND TO HOLD

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 7:49 pm 

http://www.metal-archives.com/review.php?id=264#9163

Quote:
COOL ONE!!!! - 100%
Written by Rizling_Massacre on April 23rd, 2004

This heavy,dark,progressive album finally shows you what Dan Swano can do by himself! He plays all instruments! The one-man-wonder does NOT disappoint on his solo album and for fans of Opeth Edge of Sanity, or just Metal in general, you'll love the mix of catchy metal riffs, alien sounding keyboards, and vocals sounding like they come from The Nine Hells!! My ONLY regret and believe me it's nothing MAJOR, but I wish he would have added a tad more clean vocals to go with that evil growl, but no big deal though, A SOLID 4 STARS!! GET THIS ONE!!!

Catchy metal riffs? How are they catchy? Alien keyboards? I'm not even sure what he's talking about. I can understand the vocals part...but this review really doesn't do much for many who'd read it, I don't think.

Exkretor wrote:

Nightgaunt
I'll Swallow Your Soul

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 1:54 am 

This one needs to go, post-haste. I suppose it might be remotely funny (probably why it was accepted), but it has literally ZERO musical description.

http://www.metal-archives.com/review.php?id=137#3276
The bizarre lattices were all around. Sticks and bits of board nailed together in fantastic array. It should've been ridiculous. Instead it seemed oddly sinister--these inexplicable lattices spread through a wilderness bearing little evidence that man had ever passed through...

CandideCamera
Pour l'encouragement des autres

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 4:00 pm 

whoever let this through should be fired IMO

http://www.metal-archives.com/review.php?id=17201#318

utter tripe

bloodfeast
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 4:49 pm 

nice black - 92%
Written by HawkMoon on November 5th, 2002

The first Marduk album with Legion on vocals, and what is there to say, it's yet another kickass black metal album in the same vein as the later Panzer division marduk, although with more slower parts which is a downside here. Otherwise it's full of blastbeats, guitars at the speed of light and very blasphemous lyrics. Recommended to all black metal fans.

http://www.metal-archives.com/review.php?id=1722

Osmium
The Hateful Raven

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 12:52 am 

Alright, somebody (mod) take a look at this guy's reviews.

http://www.metal-archives.com/userrevie ... e=Spectrum

stickyshooZ
TO HAVE AND TO HOLD

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 12:53 am 

bloodfeast wrote:
nice black - 92%
Written by HawkMoon on November 5th, 2002

The first Marduk album with Legion on vocals, and what is there to say, it's yet another kickass black metal album in the same vein as the later Panzer division marduk, although with more slower parts which is a downside here. Otherwise it's full of blastbeats, guitars at the speed of light and very blasphemous lyrics. Recommended to all black metal fans.

http://www.metal-archives.com/review.php?id=1722

Oh my....

Exkretor wrote:

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 239  Next