Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
sandiglam
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:16 am 

So I totally understand that the site needs vigilance on band acceptance. I get that. Here's the concern -- if I don't have the ability to link in sound samples, does that mean I can't ever submit a band again? I have added a bunch of legit stuff before that rule came into place, but can't do it anymore. At some point can't we just trust, especially when we can see the photo of the band, that it is in fact metal? I mean if there are four dudes with hair to their waist on the cover of a demo tape wearing Slayer t-shirts, it's a pretty safe bet it's a metal band. Please let me know. I've put a lot of work into two or three submissions in the past, but have had all of them rejected because I don't have the ability to link in song samples. I'm a 40 year old lifetime metalhead -- surely my word that something is in fact metal is good enough isn't it?

MutantClannfear
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:30 pm 

I'm pretty sure that rule has always been in place, for what it's worth. Anyways, is it really that hard to record and upload sound samples? Whip out your phone, record the sound of the tape being played over speakers, and upload it on a site like Mediafire or Vocaroo. Not too hard.

You'd be surprised how deceptive appearances can be. There was a band that used to be here called Asura who were probably given the same leniency you're asking for, because their demo tape had the aesthetics of an average everyday black metal album. But samples were unearthed a year or two ago and it ended up just being a minimalistic twangy guitar with no drums or vocals behind it. Bands that want to fit in the metal scene wll adopt the appearance regardless of whether or not their music is actually metal, so it's hard to make solid judgments based on them.

Last edited by MutantClannfear on Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:13 pm 

Like Mutant said, appearances can be deceptive. You're correct that it's very likely this band is genuinely metal, but we need more evidence than just a photo. Samples are ideal. If you own their recording, it should be feasible to upload samples yourself to a media sharing site. If you don't and the band is too old, perhaps a scan of a review from an old 'zine could do the trick.
Why Iron maiden is there? It's very far to be metal than a lot of some metal band.

Reply to topic