Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Toyman
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:58 am 

Hey I'm new to the Encylopedia, but I am not new to the metal scene. I am more than a little confused as to why some people don't consider Periphery to be metal. I saw a post sometime ago that asked the question, but it was locked for some reason, there didn't get to be enough of a discussion. It doesn't make much sense that a djent band inspired by Meshuggah would not be then considered the same genre. I initially wanted to respond when I saw the post, and write a long list of reasons why Periphery is metal, but I'll just make a discussion instead.

There are a few points to bring up when one wants to consider Periphery "metal". Perhaps the most important point is the position of Misha Mansoor, who got Djent to make the definitive leap from Meshuggah sound to genre. If Intronaut and Animals and Leaders are Djent, then why aren't Periphery? I will not approach Protest the Hero at this point in time, if you're going to bring them up, please don't derail the thread to do so.

P.S. Don't lock this thread, I'd like to have a nice, healthy discussion about this topic. Thanks.

peterott
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:16 am 

Perfect first post. I predict you a long and pleasant stay at Metal Archives.

Hint: there is a suggestion and complaints subforum which handles these questions. The main forum shouldn't be spammed with hundreds of these threads.

whiteshark761
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:16 am 

Start at the premise "Meshuggah aren't metal either, and are only on the Archives for Contradictions Collapse," and you'll be able to reconcile it.

ENKC
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:28 am 

Given you haven't mentioned a single metal band in your whole post, I'm not sure what purpose is achieved by comparing them one with the other. Djent is not metal in itself.
Gif logos are a rare and special thing. They should be reserved only for truly exceptional and rare and special and important bands, bands like Blind Guardian and... Blind Guardian. This should be in the rules.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:30 am 

First of all, thanks for the well formulated and respectful post, we don't get these enough. But the fact is that we don't allow djent bands. AAL were removed in 2012 and Intronaut aren't djent, they're prog metal. Also, like whiteshark said, Meshuggah are here because of their early thrash albums more than their later releases.

With that being said, I'm all for good discussions, but we had this one several times in the past, I'll link you to some posts.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=64985&p=2151085&hilit=periphery#p2151085
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=64985&p=2116938&hilit=periphery#p2116938

Next time, ask in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=64985 but please for well known bands, use the search function before. I'll lock this because of the kind of answers the thread more than because of the original post and because it's annoyingly redundant.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.