Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Headbanger1500
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:52 pm 

Now I know that the most likely response will be that "they're not metal enough" but hear me out. I know that, perhaps, they may have some "scene" fans but what about bands like Underoath? As I Lay Dying?

Furthermore, both bands that I am complaining about carry a profound metal influence. August Burns Red are on the more metal side of metalcore and even have a slight progressive metal influence in their instrumentals etc. Miss May I also have a heavy thrash influence, much in the vein of AILD. Yes they have clean vocals but so do a lot of metalcore bands listed on the Metal Archives.

I don't really understand you're justifications for not having a majority of metalcore bands on the archives. Just my opinion.

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:19 pm 

Please use this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=64985

But to answer your question, the majority of metalcore bands really aren't metal as defined by this site. They don't tend to have metal riffs, or very minimal metal riffs. On the contrary, such bands tend to be based more in -core characteristics than metal ones. A "profound influence" is not enough to get accepted; the music must be rooted in metal, not solely influenced by it. This may seem like an issue, at times, because we do have bands that may have started with an album that is clearly metal, and then devolved into simply being -core... or vice versa... given how we seek bands that have at least one predominantly metal album (and usually only require one metal album). It's for this reason that comparisons between bands, and trying to illicit why X band is accepted while Y band is not, makes a terrible argument for the site.

In this case, both Miss May I and August Burns Red are classic examples of metalcore that is rooted more in -core than in metal.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.