Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
kluseba
Making Metal Archives Reviews Great Again!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:06 am 

I haven't found a thread like this anywhere else, so I've just created one. From time to time, it happens that my band submissions are rejected because the bands are not "metal" enough. As it takes quite some time to submit a band for us users and also quite some time to check them out for the moderators, I wanted to use this thread to post a couple of songs from the bands to get a judgement from you guys. If the band is considered metal enough, I will take my time to submit it, so you don't have to take care of this. If the band is not metal enough, it's fine, too.

The first band I'm not quite sure about is called "Sade Slavey" from Quebec, Canada. You can here their first record here:
http://sadeslavey.bandcamp.com/album/imaginary-friend

Here are a few tracks from their second output:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-juWSagTXGI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJXZsUxJfmA

In my opinion, their stuff sounds a little bit like Ministry... so it's a tough case

MalignantThrone
Vanished in the Cosmic Futility

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:35 am 

That's not how the submission process works. You submit the band, and then the judgement is made. The mods aren't going to judge the bands before you even bother submit them - they've refused to do so in the past (and rightfully so - this thread is essentially asking for any band being posted in it to be checked for metalness twice) and I doubt they'll suddenly be willing to do so.

If you find your submissions being rejected for not being metal, then just take a moment to relisten to their music and then compare them to a somewhat similar band who, according to MA, fall on the metal side of the spectrum instead of the non-metal side. Eventually you'll be able to hear the difference for yourself, and in the future you can decide whether similar bands will be acceptable based on the Metal Archives's standards of metalness. That's not to say that you'd then have the authority to get your own bands accepted, of course, but pour a little background knowledge into both sides of the borderline area you're trying to judge for metalness (raw black metal/noise, hardcore punk/crossover thrash, deathcore/death metal, sludge metal/"sludgecore", post-rock/post-metal, etc.) and you wouldn't need to make a thread such as this.

kluseba
Making Metal Archives Reviews Great Again!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:51 am 

Some people don't judge "metal" the same way as I do and even between moderators, there are some major differences. I have for example submitted one band that was accepted and when these guys changed name and continued to play their same kind of stuff, the "new band" was judged to be not metal enough anymore by another moderator. A band that is accepted by you might not be accepted by somebody else, so it doesn't help what only you think or not.

By just listening to one or two songs (this takes five to ten minutes while you can also do something else and you're not forced to anything anyway) of a band and posting one line saying it's metal enough or not, the whole process takes less time for both the moderators and the users (who must also check the line-up, the discography, look for song samples on their own etc.). Once this band is judged "metal" enough in here, you don't have to check this aspect anymore when the band gets submitted for real.

I really don't think there's anything wrong with this as long as this kind of procedure is not overused. It's only if you're really not sure...

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:38 am 

No, that's absolutely out of the question, for the reasons MalignantThrone already outlined.

Think about it: even if it's just "listening to one or two songs", we'd have to repeat that over every single borderline band posted in the thread. And not only that, but it's rarely the case that you can decide a borderline band with one or two songs. Sometimes it takes several songs, even an entire album (though I usually use the fast forward function liberally), and when bands have more than one album... ehhh. Why do you think so many bands "rot" in the queue for weeks? Because no one wants to deal with that kind of shit. A thread like what you propose would just double the work.

We aren't going to do that for you just because you are incapable of using your ears and don't know metal from your ass, sorry. If you aren't sure, AND don't want the crushing disappointment of entering info "for nothing", then don't submit it. Or just enter minimal info, with a quick link to the evidence of release and the samples in submission notes (which is pretty much the mods need to evaluate a submission), then add the discography, members etc. once it's accepted.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.