Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:16 pm 

I came across some reports of promo CDs that should be removed and looked at a few that I knew the history of. I understand that they were removed because cardboard slipcase promos from labels are generally intended to be sent to publications,

This one had been removed and re-added. I know that this release, along with a bunch of other NB/CM releases of the time, was distributed to the general public at some shows (I got this one at a show back then). I assume that releases like this are removed since the intent of a promo CD like this is usually for promotion to publications/media, but many of them have also been given out to the public.
http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/In ... _EP/336601

Should promo releases like this be removed, judged on an individual basis, or kept on the archives? I'm not sure on the site's policy when I come across them.

Nightgaunt
I'll Swallow Your Soul

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:35 am 

"Promo" releases with unique tracklists that end up being distributed to the public through official channels (e. g. this one) generally count as valid entries, unless some other attribute of the release renders them invalid (e.g. they're also a V/A comp, etc.). A case-by-case approach may be called for in situations where the promo is something like a slightly altered version of a commercial/public release which it precedes, but where bands like In Flames are concerned, it's generally going to be fairly simple to differentiate a 'leak' from a 'marketing tool.'
The bizarre lattices were all around. Sticks and bits of board nailed together in fantastic array. It should've been ridiculous. Instead it seemed oddly sinister--these inexplicable lattices spread through a wilderness bearing little evidence that man had ever passed through...

Reply to topic