Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:51 pm 

I wanted to know which date counts as the year of release on albums on MA. Is it the date of the first available edition or the date for the international edition?

This is why I ask, on Gordian Knot's page the date for the debut is set as 1998 and 2003 for the sophomore. From what I've been able to find out the debut was released by Avalon on Japan in 1998 (November 21) and Sensory in 1999 (March 5 or 9, both dates appear), while the sophomore was also released by Avalon in 2002 (December 18) and Sensory (January 14). Which should be the release dates for the albums then, 1998/2002 or 1999/2003?

I know this is usually dealt by with reporting the issue but I wanted to know what's the correct dating procedure.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:57 pm 

I'd say the original edition, no matter if it's international or limited to a country.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:01 pm 

So you'd be so kind as to correct Emergent's then (to 2002)?! :nods:

I've came up with the release dates via RYM, Discogs, Wiki, just so you know.

PS: Since we're talking about it there's also the funny fact that both Discogs and RYM say that James Murphy's Feeding The Machine was available on 1998 (as opposed to 1999 on Shrapnel) on Diehard Music, but neither website has a concrete release date nor does a Wiki article exists.

I hate it when albums are released near the beginning or end of years... :annoyed:

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:24 pm 

Not exactly on-topic but almost. There's this curious case of Beyond Creation's album, which was released on PRC Music according to all the websites, but the copy which I got today is clearly self-released. Back cover reads "2011 Beyond Creation. All Rights Reserved..." and there's no CAT# or reference to any label. It does have a bar code however and it fits with the info found on Musik Sammler that lists a self-released version and another released by PRC. Info here.

So my question would be which one is the valid first edition? I bet the answer will be something along the lines of "whichever came out first" but how do you know on this case?

Also if someone could shed some light on the James Murphy digipak release that I mentioned earlier.

Just so we're clear, I'm not filling reports on these cases because I have actual doubts about them and not because I'm trying to make any kind of shortcuts. ;)

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:30 pm 

If it's unclear which version came first simply pick one and mention the other in the notes. Not much that can be done about it, until there's more info we have to pick one at random. Here I'd choose the Prc Music pressing as the "main" entry and write something along the lines of "also self-released by the band ... unknown which is the original edition ... cat# of the self-release is 12435... etc..." in the notes.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:32 pm 

So in case of doubt always make use of the "additional notes". OK, got it! Thanks.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:35 pm 

Indeed, they are quite the handy and versatile tool. ;)

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:41 pm 

Of course that doesn't mean that you should just always use them right away instead of posting here first and asking for advice.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:44 pm 

Use thy power but with caution, ha ha. No worries there, I don't rank as a Veteran on the website (strange I know) so I can't edit stuff, I can only report it or "ask for advice". :p

Reply to topic