Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Charlo
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:28 pm 

My question is basically the thread title. When it comes to the additional notes section for a band, how comprehensive should it be? Does the MA staff team prefer Wikipedia-style comprehensive band histories (Judas Priest), shorter histories (Immortal) or no histories at all? I have the feeling most visitors to a band's page are seeking discography/line-up information rather than a deep history of the band, so I've been holding off on adding large amounts of historical information for bands that I add to the archives, even when that information would be easy to add (paraphrasing a band's official bio, for example).

If detailed histories are desired, should there be an effort to made to improve the site in that regard? Or am I thinking too hard about this?

Thanks in advance for your input. Also thanks to the mods and admins for keeping this site fucking awesome.

Metantoine
The XVI, dominar to over 258714 subjects

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:45 pm 

Charlo wrote:
Thanks in advance for your input. Also thanks to the mods and admins for keeping this site fucking awesome.

Thanks, we rarely receive these kind of comments, it's appreciated.

To answer your question, I prefer short, comprehensive and objective notes, the one on Immortal like you said is fine. I like the length here: http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Earth/10278 Very long notes are fine for bands with a lot of history, but yeah, I think we can find this kind of information elsewhere, that's not the main purpose of the Archives in my opinion.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm
Halberd (doom/death)

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:34 pm 

Very long notes are fine for bands with a lot of history, but yeah, I think we can find this kind of information elsewhere, that's not the main purpose of the Archives in my opinion.[/quote]
Like http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Metallica/125 .
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:04 pm 

Yeah, Metallica has been around for 30 years, so a long bio can work fine, but for bands with 3 demos, having a detailed history of their line-up changes is just useless fluff.
Why Iron maiden is there? It's very far to be metal than a lot of some metal band.

Alhadis
Madder Max

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:30 am 

Of course, if the wording is interesting and useful to readers (such as citing the reasons why every member left), there shouldn't be any harm in having a long, detailed bio nobody would probably read anyway. ;) Mind you, it should also be neutral and factual in tone (as per encyclopaedic guidelines), as well as listed after the more relevant pieces of trivia (additional discography, contact address, date of splitting up or name changes, compilations appearances, etc).

they payl termolo! not real riff!

Charlo
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:19 pm 

I agree Alhadis, the best bios on the site are the ones that are well-written and engaging. But most bands have very bland histories that aren't worth going into depth about.

Thanks for the reponses! They really clear things up for me.

Reply to topic