Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
hij
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:53 pm 

A very n00b question, but it is one for which I do not know the answer.

If someone is in a band or formerly of a band listed in the archives, and they have a Facebook page, a personal one, can we put up a link for it on their archives page?

Gorgo
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:04 pm 

If it has new information, perhaps, but I doubt it. Most facebook links will only be part of a bigger shitload of links already present from very known bands (Metallica, Iron Maiden,...).

http://www.myspace.com/onrust1
"Acoustic music"

PiotrB
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:18 am 

heathinjersey wrote:
A very n00b question, but it is one for which I do not know the answer.

If someone is in a band or formerly of a band listed in the archives, and they have a Facebook page, a personal one, can we put up a link for it on their archives page?

You mean facebook profiles of band members?
NO. The same situation with myspace and any other pages.
If information about band in Internet are really obscure then you can add such a porifle. Sometimes musicians have info about all his bands. So it could be usefull in that cases.

hij
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:16 am 

That's cool. The reason I asked is there isn't much information on the band Shelder, and I came across the personal Facebook page of Corinne Hacquebey.

Fjellsiam
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:58 pm 

Based on this thread I've added a couple of facebook links to a couple of 'artist pages'. Hopefully it's ok by the admins.
http://www.metal-archives.com/artists/Brian_Wynn/44210 & http://www.metal-archives.com/artists/B ... cher/44216

MalignantThrone
Vanished in the Cosmic Futility

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:32 pm 

Uhhhh...no, that doesn't look like it'd be okay. The policy that I try to abide when adding links to Facebook profiles is I try to see if the person makes their statuses/updates public, or allows fans to subscribe to their posts. Those two FB profiles look like they belong to people who just want to keep to themselves, and besides that, since most of their information is private that's not even going to be helpful to anyone who looks at them. I've gone ahead and removed those two links.

By the way...where the hell did you read in this thread that that would be okay? I got the complete opposite message, reading over it. :???:

EDIT: Okay, at second glance, Brad Fincher does make his posts public/allow people to subscribe to his updates. His Facebook link can stay.

Last edited by MalignantThrone on Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:36 pm 

Agreed, Malignant. A page like the one I'm linking is quite different from the one you linked in your post.

http://www.facebook.com/ashmedi?ref=ts&fref=ts he has 5200 friends (myself included, hehe)

There's a very clear line between public and private information. You crossed the wrong one, unfortunately.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:56 pm 

What The Rules say:

Quote:
>> Artist links <<

You can add the musician/artist's links such as his homepage, his Facebook, Youtube channel, etc.

Do NOT add links to interviews, nor to links to the artist's BAND homepage unless you link directly to a detailed section about the artist. For example, for Steve Harris, linking to Steve Harris @ Ironmaiden.com is acceptable, because that link contains a detailed biography with information not present on the artist page. But linking only to Ironmaiden.com directly on Steve Harris's artist page is useless, since that link is already present on the Iron Maiden page. Exception: if Steve Harris played in a non-metal band, it would be OK to add a link to this band on his artist page, under the link category Unlisted bands.

[...]

In other words, link to pages related to the artist as a PERSON and not his/her bands, unless those bands are not on the site (such as non-metal bands). Keep band links to the band pages.

Exception: for solo artists, if the artist's homepage is both about the artist (as a person) and his/her solo band, it's acceptable to add the link to both pages.

So yes, adding an artist's Facebook link on the artist page is okay... but MalignantThrone makes a good point, in that the link must be useful. A private FB page with no content "for friends only" is not really a useful link to add. I know saying this has never worked before, but, I'll say it anyway... use common sense.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Reply to topic