Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Embridioum
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:11 am 

Dear all,

I would like to have a clearer definition of what an EP is.
Having just stumbled over this release: Windfaerer - Solar.

Hopefully it's just a mistake.
But if not, I would really like to hear how one can possibly consider a 7-track record with running time over 35 minutes an EP.

One word in this matter, copied from Wikipedia:
Quote:
In the United Kingdom, the Official Chart Company defines a boundary between EP and album classification at 25 minutes of length or four tracks (not counting alternative versions of featured songs, if present).

Thank you for your input.

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:15 am 

We don't stick by any strict definition. Normally, we just tend to go with what the band considers the album; the general rule of thumb with an EP is that it's shorter than a full-length album.

By the way, we're not run by Wikipedia's definitions, and we really couldn't give a shit if some pompous executives in the "Official Chart Company" decided that 25 minutes is the one and only cut-off.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:50 am 

Running time only is a poor definition. It's obvious why Tulimyrsky isn't a full-length, and why the first couple of Gorgoroth albums are. Bands generally draw the line based on what they consider to be their primary output. Songs that didn't make the cut for full-lengths are commonly released on an album that shouldn't be considered part of the main discography, even if the running times of individual secondary releases were in the same league as albums proper.

Embridioum
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:59 am 

Ilwhyan wrote:
Songs that didn't make the cut for full-lengths are commonly released on an album that shouldn't be considered part of the main discography, [...]

Totally agree.

Come to think of it, I have considered Luciferion - The Apostate being an EP/Compilation too.
Five new songs (one being an intro), one cover and five demo tracks... I was really bummed out when I bought the disc and found this out.

~Guest 285672
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:32 pm 

It's all on what the band deems it is. The band could have a 2-hour recording and still call it an EP or demo if they wish to. It's also clearly stated on the CD case, since there would be physical evidence of the vinyl/tape/CD to have it published in the first place.

A good example is Nokturnal Mortum's Lunar Poetry. They consider it a demo even though it is well over 45 minutes.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:37 pm 

Markov wrote:
or demo

Demo = demonstrational release. It has nothing to do with length even originally (as opposed to EP being "extended play").

Reply to topic