Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 104167
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:21 pm 

One question: only physical releases should be added to band discography? If the band has internet singles/demos/promos should it be added?

Alhadis
Madder Max

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:22 pm 

Yes, but only if they're releases with a concrete tracklist, cover art and release date. One or two mp3s from an upcoming album don't count.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:24 pm 

aeternus1990 wrote:
One question: only physical releases should be added to band discography? If the band has internet singles/demos/promos should it be added?

Digital full-lengths/EPs/demos/etc... can be added. Be careful with digital singles, though. They should only be added if they are available for purchase separately.

EDIT: And what Al said.

~Guest 104167
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:47 pm 

OK, so... what if band "released" their single via uploading it in social network for free listening even with artwork and release date? Does it count? Because I know some Russian bands that have only one physical album but tons of digital singles/ep/promos... I can't figure it out what format of digital release it should be... iTunes for 0.99$ for example?

Alhadis
Madder Max

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:52 pm 

Okay, erm, maybe you misunderstood me, mate. I meant a title and cover art that *differs* from the album the tracks are supposedly a preview of...

Singles distributed as a CDs that happen to use the same cover art are a different case, although rare. It did happen here.

~Guest 104167
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:19 pm 

That part was clear :) I mean in this case:

EP 2008 "Шрамы На Сердце" is supposed to be physical (the band told it's limited pressing CD-R) but what's about those other "demo 2005", "demo 2007", "demo 2009" that exists only in social network as free listening mp3s? The band just upload mp3s in social network and maybe myspace for online listening, but it's hard to "purchase" them because it's absolutely free. I've seen tons of band in Russian VK.com that wrote in their groups smth. like: "Guys, we have finished our single, here's cover for it and mp3, please listen and tell what you think".

Like this:

So does this only digital EP count as their release?

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:38 pm 

"Between the Worlds" could be added, but those demos seem too vague to me. If you're unsure about their "album-ness" as opposed to a bunch of uploaded promo songs, it's best to not add them at all. You can always mention in the add. notes that they also recorded and uploaded a number of songs for demo purposes.

~Guest 104167
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:07 pm 

Thanks, now it's clear. And now it's absolutely clear why you accepted only bands with physical releases... because if you accepted bands with digital releases that will be probably millions of bands and who knows maybe some day there will be more bands than people on the whole planet Earth :D

Alhadis
Madder Max

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:33 pm 

aeternus1990 wrote:
Thanks, now it's clear. And now it's absolutely clear why you accepted only bands with physical releases... because if you accepted bands with digital releases that will be probably millions of bands and who knows maybe some day there will be more bands than people on the whole planet Earth :D

Exactly. ;)

Ravengrai
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:28 pm 

Hello! If I understand right, digital release can be added to band discography if this band already have CD release, but if band have only digital release (released on netlabel, with cover, artwork, release date, track list) this band will be rejected?

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:41 pm 

Yep.

Ravengrai
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:34 pm 

Thank you for answer! What about digital split? If one band already have page on metal-archives.com and CD release and other band new for site?

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:23 pm 

The same, because the only release of the other band would still be digital.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.