Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
BottomFeeder1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 5:50 am 

Hey, really dig this site and how it's run. I was thinking that mabey a tour section could be benificial to users who are not involved in social networking and the like. Perhaps it could divided up by continents, east coast/west coast, Northern/ Southern and so forth. Myself, I come here often to see what's up with metal and where I recently quit social networking I'm hardly finding out about gigs, tours and whatnot because a lot of regional metal sites have been replaced by Facebook and online scenester peer groups. Im worried I'm going to miss out on supporting and enjoying cool gigs because I didn't hear about them.
That's my suggestion, I am not technologically savy unfortunately or Perhaps I would offer my services if you saw such a feature fit. - cheers \m/

droneriot
RETIRED

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 6:30 am 

This of course has been suggested many times before, I don't know why it isn't done yet. Maybe the reason is something simple like the owners/coders don't know yet how to implement it without clashing with the layout of the site. In other words, they don't know yet where to put that section yet. Just a theory. I'm sure they're considering it, though. A lot of people would like it, myself included.
Alpha Drone at Bandcamp: http://alphadrone.bandcamp.com

Zodijackyl
Lazy Wizard

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 2:10 pm 

A tour section would require active maintenance by a lot of users, and it would require a lot of time and effort to ensure that the information was correct and up to date. The effort include this information would primarily be to only duplicate information that can be found on venue sites, band sites, and social networks - information which often changes before the dates of the shows, and quickly becomes [nearly] obsolete.

Metantoine
The XVI, dominar to over 258714 subjects

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 2:22 pm 

A 4th forum could be created in Music talk, this would work, I guess. Users could create a thread for the tour they want to talk about, I'll be ready to enforce it.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm
Halberd (doom/death)

BottomFeeder1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 5:54 am 

Metantoine wrote:
A 4th forum could be created in Music talk, this would work, I guess. Users could create a thread for the tour they want to talk about, I'll be ready to enforce it.

That sounds like a good idea, I will shut up on the issue now as its obviously such decisions are not mine to make, thanks for considering my suggestion. Let me know if I can contribute in any way and I will post tours of bands(depending on the format that could potentially be chosen) I care about if this common suggestion is viewed as a worthy endeavor and put into action.

Last edited by BottomFeeder1 on Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
John_Sunlight
President Satan

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 11:03 pm 

A tour sub-forum is a good idea. Metal only!
"Since that time, I have received highest level confirmations that such organizations not only exist but are rooted in satanic ritual murder and extend across America’s political landscape into nearly every community."

Phunzem
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:23 am 

i support the subforum idea!

Wrath_Of_War
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:50 am 

I think that's a really cool suggestion. I hope something like this happens.

John_Sunlight
President Satan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:35 am 

HellBlazer says "maybe"...
"Since that time, I have received highest level confirmations that such organizations not only exist but are rooted in satanic ritual murder and extend across America’s political landscape into nearly every community."

Zodijackyl
Lazy Wizard

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:38 pm 

Somewhat related, we also have a decent start to a working list of venues in certain areas on the musicians forum. Perhaps we could expand on this? I'd be willing to help update and maintain a list like this. It would require a lot of work to get information from people in all different areas, but it would be a really great resource for shows.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=89120

edit: new thread here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=90960

Perhaps a single thread will forecast how actively people are interested in contributing to something of this nature to keep it going.

Reply to topic