Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
atgunn
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:01 pm 

My suggestions would be to simply quit trying to show off your writing skills and keep it simple. Remember, you are not writing for a major publication for which you are getting paid. This is not the golden era of Rolling Stone, Circus or Creem magazines and alot of potential or current fans will never even see it. I read debate about who is a great reviewer and complaints about the strict criteria for acceptance of reviews. Be real. This is fan based. If you were really great you would be paid. Yet alot of showing off here. Realize that artists probably neverwill come close to reading and probably been reviewed by a pro and guess what? They really don't care what a pro says as long as fans listen, buy and hear albums in concert. That is the best review. So don't be so deep and intellectual and just write as a fan or write your dislike. If a fan then fine. If not the true fan will buy because they will judge by ear and the artist will judge by fan response . As always. All the strict rules for non paid review is excessive and not fanlike at all. And the high intellectual reviews are self serving. Stay simple. Stop trying to impress. Unless the moderator is paying you a salary.

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:12 pm 

Many people like to read those kinds of reviews and writing is also a hobby for many people, which means they enjoy it and don't need to get paid. Sure it may be self-serving for some but as long as the reviews fit the guidelines then it doesn't matter. If you don't like the long reviews then just scroll past them and read the shorter ones.

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:59 am 

So essentially you're saying that we should drop the silly criteria, let people write what and how they want, and and accept everything, regardless of the quality? And that it's no use trying, and a short, preferably favourable ad-like blurt is better? And that any real effort put into a review is always wasted, because no one reads it and the reviewer never gets paid for it? OK.

I think you're lost in the internet. Here, let me help you find your way back home:

http://www.amazon.com

atgunn
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:32 pm 

That's exactly what I'm saying. Your criteria is overblown for an amateur fan based site. Real fans are not going to be dissuaded from a purchase by a review when pros try to influence fans yet an album will sell millions no matter what is said. Ask that jerkoff Lester Bangs if his diatribes against KISS went anywhere. That is if his fat ass is still alive. Fan discussion of albums are fine but reviews? Even paid pros are kidding themselves if they think they matter to the artists. All that matters is fan enjoyment, personal satisfaction and MONEY. Also it would carry more weight if the reviewer had a body of work at all. Then they might know something. As a discussion site this could work. Review site? Just my thought but too many taking themselves too seriously. Check of Urban dictionaries definition of this site. After comments I read, I have to agree. There are actually better music discussion without lot of "moderator" insertion and as Urban Dictionary said so succinctly, Douches. But then most pro reviewers are of the douche species. I guess if you can't perform, pick it apart. Later waste of space.

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:10 am 

I am not familiar with your user history, but usually such enormous butthurt over reviews here is a result of either some earlier failure to get a review approved, or possibly having a really cruel review on your own band. I'd put my money on the former in this case.

If you think the reviews here don't matter, you're really putting a lot of effort into pointing it out, which is a bit strange and suspicious. It's almost as if you bicycled three miles just to kick some kid's sandcastle down. The logical course of action would be to ignore the things that do not matter. So I actually think you do think these reviews have some influence or other meaning, and you believe you've been mistreated in one way or the other. Otherwise, if it all was just wasted effort and useless fiddling with a meaningless little website, you would not bother. Am I right?

And even if you really think that way and simply decided to illuminate the masses here by informing everybody about the fact that their hobby is not good enough because it makes no difference and money (?? you must be from the US...), there's someone who has said tons of extremely quotable things, and he agrees with you:

"Kids, you tried your best, and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try."
-Homer Simpson-

TheNiceNightmare
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:40 pm 

Perhaps Napero would like a bit of background info? ;-)

viewtopic.php?t=89368

Reply to topic