Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
HouseSpiders
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:26 am 

I know this is probably a really stupid question but what is a discography lock?

• Only members with a rank of Metal freak or higher can delete album tracks, change categories of submitted reports, and ignore discography locks.

Last edited by HouseSpiders on Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:33 am 

Discographies are locked when they're prone to frequent incorrect edits, most commonly bands with notorious bootlegs/any kind of nonexistent/nonsense/unofficial releases that keep getting added by ignorant users. It's mostly popular bands like Iron Maiden, but LLN projects also seem to be plagued by this.

For example, Spinal Tap's discography is most likely locked because people would add their entirely fictional albums otherwise.

Last.fm | Collection

HouseSpiders
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:56 am 

I just tried adding a release to Spinal Tap's discography and I got this message saying "you can't add any releases", only the message was longer and politer. I didn't actually want to add one, I just wanted to see if you could or not. Now I know exactly what they are!

I do not have the 'proper credentials' to access that list of bands with locked discographies. I guess only Metal Freaks and higher can ignore that silly message. I'll have a look at it when I become a Metal Freak, but I'm still far from one. :(

Last edited by HouseSpiders on Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:00 am 

HouseSpiders wrote:
I do not have the 'proper credentials' to access that list of bands with locked discographies.

Yeah, I noticed that after I posted, so I removed that part again. I don't know whether that list is staff-only or just requires a higher rank.

Last.fm | Collection

MalignantThrone
Vanished in the Cosmic Futility

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:15 pm 

Azmodes wrote:
HouseSpiders wrote:
I do not have the 'proper credentials' to access that list of bands with locked discographies.

Yeah, I noticed that after I posted, so I removed that part again. I don't know whether that list is staff-only or just requires a higher rank.

Yeah, as a Metal Freak, I've never seen any list of bands with locked discograpies. Must be mods'-eyes-only after all.

Zodijackyl
Lazy Wizard

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:42 pm 

Metal Freaks get this warning message when adding releases for bands with locked discographies:

"The discography has been locked for regular users. Please make sure the album you are adding is legitimate before adding it."

Reply to topic