Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
narsilianshard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:25 pm 

I'm curious if MA has ever had any legal issues when it comes to lyrics. I know something like 90% of lyric sites on the web are illegal since they don't have the rights to display lyrics because lyrics are copyrighted just like musical compositions.

Does the site do anything to protect itself from takedowns/legal action? Or does the site have a deal with a lyrics publisher?

Derigin
Anthropophagus

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:59 am 

If we are contacted by an artist or its representative and requested to remove lyrics, we will.

Please keep in mind that we are an encyclopedia. Our whole purpose is to serve as an educational/informative tool for the public. We do this without any personal, monetary or detrimental interest in mind; the end goal is simply to create the largest and most credible database of heavy metal bands (and information on them). When it comes to what we consider valid information, we generally aim for neutral, objective, fair use data obtained through publicly available (and ideally band-sanctioned) sources. Understandably, given that we open up the site to our users to freely contribute, this goal may not always be attainable. However, when it comes to our attention that information on our site may not be valid, we do take whatever actions are necessary to ensure that the information is corrected or removed. We hope that those who use our site or who may be subjects of the site understand and respect our purpose as we understand and respect their contributions to this database and/or to the metal scene, as well.

narsilianshard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:07 pm 

Thanks for the response, good to know!

trvekvlt666
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 1:32 pm 

Why on this site are no Gorgoroth lyrics ? Is it a rule that says :"Nobody should add lyrics for Gorgoroth because they are trve kvlt !" ? Just asking...

Derigin
Anthropophagus

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:52 pm 

Because they've never been released. The only lyrics in existence are known to be guesswork, and we would prefer not to have guesswork on our site.

It has nothing to do with it being "kvlt." It has everything to do with Gorgoroth not making them public.

Manalishi69
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:11 pm 

Conserning the last question I'd add some more info which I consider to be quite interesting for this thread generally.
A site which claims to be the largest resource on the web concerning lyrics had the lyrics for three Gorgoroth albums online. If you go for Gorgoroth, each single song is marked and at the end the following info can be read:

* - these lyrics are removed due to the complaint by the band / publisher. You'll be redirected to another site or Google Search Engine.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:42 pm 

They probably don't want bullshit lyrics floating around and the site obliged. Was it specifically cited as copyright issue?

Anyway, the same goes for a lot of Hypocrisy's material, and if you ever come across lyrics with "???" sections, just delete all of them for that song. Guesswork is no good for the site's integrity.

Last.fm

MutantClannfear
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:47 pm 

What do you suggest we do for artists like Anaal Nathrakh, where Internet sleuths have matched entire verses to Bible passages beyond a shadow of a doubt, but one or two lines are still unknown?

EDIT: Oh, it seems the specific AN songs I was thinking of have already had their lyrics fields wiped. Lame.

When did we start calling Sunn O))) black metal and how soon can we stop?

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:51 pm 

No dice, A.N. is a big no-no in this regard. Alhadis will have your head!

EDIT: And now you know :P

Last.fm

MutantClannfear
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:54 pm 

Alhadis will have my head? Nigga, I checked the edit history for In the Constellation of the Black Widow and you were the last person to wipe them all, even "So Be It" which has been matched to a specific set of Latin Bible verses. Don't be talking to me about what he's gonna do.

When did we start calling Sunn O))) black metal and how soon can we stop?

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:05 pm 

What do you suggest we do for artists like Anaal Nathrakh, where Internet sleuths have matched entire verses to Bible passages beyond a shadow of a doubt, but one or two lines are still unknown?

No dice, A.N. is a big no-no in this regard. Alhadis will have your head!

EDIT: Oh, it seems the specific AN songs I was thinking of have already had their lyrics fields wiped. Lame.

EDIT: And now you know :P

Haha not quite, this was actually the chronological flow of it, but the EDITs made it confusing.

Last.fm

bug_man
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:12 pm 

MutantClannfear wrote:

this question is academic because no one of any worth cares about anaal nathrakh lyrics

Derigin
Anthropophagus

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:47 pm 

Oh thank you so much for such a worthwhile post, bug_man.

Please make sure to come again some time!

(in the meantime, enjoy your warning)

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.