Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Evenfiel
Heavy Metal Hunter

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 11:25 am 

Yeah, just ignore it.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 2:53 pm 

Actually, this is because you deleted the reported artist... so when you save the comment, it saves it to a non-existing report (that got deleted alongside the artist). It's a bug, but in truth, when you delete a reported item, you don't have to close the report, just click "next".

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 11:16 am 

Ah, I see, that explains it. Will do.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 10:53 pm 

Something that's starting to piss me off, on the main site (not the forum), is that the cursor is automatically in the search bar, which makes it difficult to scroll down with the arrow keys. I use a laptop, I don't like using the arrows on the scroll bar, I like the arrow keys (except when I scroll a huge chunk of the page, then I'll usually click and drag the scroll bar (not the arrows), and do that with every site. But instead of scrolling, it just cycles through the search terms I've put in the search bar. Then I have to click outside of the search bar then I can start scrolling with the arrow keys. The fact that I have an extra step in clicking outside of the search bar is not what bugs me, it's that I often FORGET that I have to do that, and if I'm for example, reading a review on a page where there's lots of reviews, I'll press the down arrow to scroll down, but instead it takes me back to the top of the page in the search bar. This is so annoying. I have no idea why the new version of the site automatically assumes the first thing you want to do is type in the search bar. With pretty much every other site that's ever existed ever, when you want to type something in the search bar, you click in the bar and start typing. We've all gotten so used to it, it's automatic. You shouldn't have to click outside of the bar to be able to scroll with the arrow keys.

/rant.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 4:18 pm 

Disinterment used Salvador Dali's artwork for their album 'Endless' so I credited Dali with the artwork on the MA page http://www.metal-archives.com/artists/S ... ali/127985
The dropdown menu listing years only goes back to 1911 and he was born in 1904, but an artist's work being used like this seems to be the only time when it would need to go back that far - should there even be an artist page for him as the use of the artwork was unauthorized?

fetalfeast
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 6:41 pm 

I love the printable view! It's particularly convenient for when I need an offline copy of a thread for whatever purpose.

The spoiler boxes are
Spoiler: show
a bit bright
, any way the color can be made to match a bit better?

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 8:04 pm 

Zodijackyl wrote:
should there even be an artist page for him as the use of the artwork was unauthorized?

:durr: No. Long-dead painters whose artworks were used on album covers are not valid artists to add, for crying out loud...

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Dexter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 8:31 pm 

Please BAN the following label names:
- Unsigned/independent
- Unsigned/independant
- Non labeled
- Non-labeled
- Non label
- Non-label

(sic) on the second one.

Yes, I've reported unsigned/independent 3 times, some people ARE retarded enough to add them as labels...

---

Also, can we get some listing like "labels with similar names" or something like that? I keep finding the same label spelled differently on many occasions.

Evenfiel
Heavy Metal Hunter

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 5:57 am 

Morrigan wrote:
Zodijackyl wrote:
should there even be an artist page for him as the use of the artwork was unauthorized?

:durr: No. Long-dead painters whose artworks were used on album covers are not valid artists to add, for crying out loud...

That's probably my fault, since I said that it would be ok sometime ago, but I can see why it shouldn't be added.

Quote:
Yes, I've reported unsigned/independent 3 times, some people ARE retarded enough to add them as labels...

:durr:

Quote:
Also, can we get some listing like "labels with similar names" or something like that? I keep finding the same label spelled differently on many occasions.

I will request it.

fetalfeast wrote:
I love the printable view! It's particularly convenient for when I need an offline copy of a thread for whatever purpose.

The spoiler boxes are
Spoiler: show
a bit bright
, any way the color can be made to match a bit better?

Wrong thread.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 4:26 pm 

When reporting no longer needed legacy lineup could something like "Are you sure all the members' band relations are transferred?" be added to the warning message? Few of the reported, supposedly complete lineups are really complete in that sense. Almost every time I still have to add some members to other bands before clearing the legacy.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 7:04 pm 

The usability has decreased A LOT in this v.2! The search function is a mess.

On v.1 you didn't have to write out the full band name. Instead of writing "nocturnal rites", "noc rit" was sufficient. This was also a big help when unsure of the spelling; Slauther Xtroyes? Slauter Xtroyers? Slaugter Xtroys? Being able to just write "slau xtr" was a big help, because incorrect spelling will yield 0 results. Now I have to google it before searching on MA. You could also search band name + country before. Looking for the French Revenge? You just wrote Reve fra, and bam.

To search for an artist has become a chore. Looking for Brutality founding member Larry Sapp, all you will find is Larry Sapp from Purgatory! Is it the same Larry Sapp? I have no idea. The only way to find Brutality's Larry Sapp is to look at the additional notes from the demos.
Brutality was formed in 1986, yet according to MA founding member Jeff Acres was in the band between 1991 and 1996.

This makes MA a not reliable site! Was it supposed to work like this?

Evenfiel
Heavy Metal Hunter

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 7:29 pm 

Opus wrote:
On v.1 you didn't have to write out the full band name. Instead of writing "nocturnal rites", "noc rit" was sufficient.

Now you need to use *. For example, you can search for "Noc* rit*", or just "Noc* ri*".

Opus wrote:
To search for an artist has become a chore. Looking for Brutality founding member Larry Sapp, all you will find is Larry Sapp from Purgatory! Is it the same Larry Sapp? I have no idea. The only way to find Brutality's Larry Sapp is to look at the additional notes from the demos.

That's because we are still migrating the data and Brutality's Larry Sapp was not added.

Quote:
Brutality was formed in 1986, yet according to MA founding member Jeff Acres was in the band between 1991 and 1996.

Err, no. It doesn't say anything like that. I have no idea how you came up with that information.

Last edited by Evenfiel on Mon May 16, 2011 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 7:54 pm 

Opus wrote:
The usability has decreased A LOT in this v.2! The search function is a mess.

On v.1 you didn't have to write out the full band name. Instead of writing "nocturnal rites", "noc rit" was sufficient. This was also a big help when unsure of the spelling; Slauther Xtroyes? Slauter Xtroyers? Slaugter Xtroys? Being able to just write "slau xtr" was a big help, because incorrect spelling will yield 0 results. Now I have to google it before searching on MA. You could also search band name + country before. Looking for the French Revenge? You just wrote Reve fra, and bam.

Dude, what the hell. I expect this silliness from clueless n00bs, not from someone like you. When you got 0 results, did you even try reading the rest? Especially the part that says,
Quote:
You could use wildcards (*) for more matches, or read more about your search options.

I am disappoint. :(

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 8:47 pm 

Evenfiel wrote:
Err, no. It doesn't say anything like that. I have no idea how you came up with that information.

By clicking on the name Jeff Acres

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 8:54 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
Dude, what the hell. I expect this silliness from clueless n00bs, not from someone like you. When you got 0 results, did you even try reading the rest? Especially the part that says,
Quote:
You could use wildcards (*) for more matches, or read more about your search options.

I am disappoint. :(

If you did not want feedback, I apologize.
I'm a user. I care about usability. How is the change to wildcards an improvement? How is NOT being able to search for band name + country an improvement?
Again, if this is unwanted, just disregard.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 8:56 pm 

Opus wrote:
Evenfiel wrote:

Do you mean the listed albums? As Evenfiel said, the data is still being migrated. Care to help instead of nagging around here?

Dexter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 9:55 pm 

Could the "Find Artist" box be bigger (needs more height) by default? When I search for an artist that is not found and I want to add it I always have to make it bigger to avoid having to scroll down to the "add to lineup" link.

Evenfiel
Heavy Metal Hunter

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 5:10 am 

Opus wrote:
Evenfiel wrote:

That page only shows three albums in which he played. There is nothing about his time with the band, though you can add that in Brutality's page if you want.

MMisantropo
Magnificient Degluter of Yummy Ants

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 5:56 pm 

Opus wrote:
I'm a user. I care about usability. How is the change to wildcards an improvement?

It gives you the extra flexibility of searching for exact or partial matches. If you ever tried searching for the band "I" on the old version, the improvement is obvious.

forestcorpse
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 1:29 pm 

Is it problems with the band profils?
I can see the profils, but not see albums and stuff like that.

Dexter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 5:44 pm 

When adding bands to a split I can't edit their names or delete them, is that normal?

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 9:44 am 

Dexter_prog wrote:
When adding bands to a split I can't edit their names or delete them, is that normal?

Yeah, this has been addressed before. After you added them you can only remove or "edit" them by cancelling and starting over or adding another entry for the correct name or band. If an added band is not assigned any song entries, then it will be deleted automatically when you save the split. That's a bit of a problem when you've already reached the limit of 5 bands, though. This issue is known, however, and will be taken care of some time in the future, I assume.

cweed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 11:10 pm 

Finally starting to get used to the new version. Obviously there's still a bit of work to be done here and there, but overall just wanted to say fantastic job on this new site!

demonomania
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 1:03 pm 

Call me dumb, but I can't seem to figure out how to add a release to my collection. And we all know nothing is more important than having an updated collection list. Help, please.

"Everyone welcome back the Hoffman brothers, a new beginning for great guitarists and people."

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 1:07 pm 

demonomania wrote:
Call me dumb, but I can't seem to figure out how to add a release to my collection. And we all know nothing is more important than having an updated collection list. Help, please.

Click on the small wrench on the left of every album. The rest should be self-explanatory.

demonomania
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 1:27 pm 

U da man.

"Everyone welcome back the Hoffman brothers, a new beginning for great guitarists and people."

Dexter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 3:03 pm 

It seems that most people making reports don't know that they can follow them up and check if the mod/user who took the assignment has asked something else. Could we have some popup or something telling the user that someone replied on his report? It seems that the only ones that know about this are the ones that check the reports.

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 9:54 pm 

Eh I don't like the wildcard thing much either, the gains (Death, I, Ea etc) are outweighed by having to put in * for pretty much every other search I do, better for about a dozen bands, worse for all the others, but whatever, I got conditioned to it pretty quickly. Would have rathered an automatically unchecked Exact Matches box or some kind of exact match symbol if even possible.

My actual reason for the post (I only looked in a few pages, my bad if it's been brought up previously), with reviews would it be possible to put the author name underneath the title like it used to be too. It's annoying to have to scroll to the end of a review to see who it's by. Although having it at the end is handy too in case I only want to look at the review after reading the whole thing.

Also, on album/review/any other level of detail pages would it be possible (or generally preferrable to the user base) to make the headings, like Band name or album name become links too. I know they're over on the right as links, but I still almost always look up or down from whatever I'm actually looking at to try and navigate back to previous pages. On the same note how about making the title of the review a link too on the reviews list, not just the tiny little magnifying glass.

Thanks, and again apologies if these are old requests.

Alhadis
Madder Max

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 12:49 am 

lord_ghengis wrote:
Eh I don't like the wildcard thing much either, the gains (Death, I, Ea etc) are outweighed by having to put in * for pretty much every other search I do, better for about a dozen bands, worse for all the others, but whatever, I got conditioned to it pretty quickly. Would have rathered an automatically unchecked Exact Matches box or some kind of exact match symbol if even possible.

At a guess, I'd say the wildcard feature might've been a function of the indexing system that MA's now using to produce quicker search results... and if that's the case, then it'll mean a hell of a lot more work on the admins' behalf just to reverse the functionality. Personally, I found it a bit awkward at first, but now I'm so accustomed to it I can't imagine doing anything else. :lol: You'd also be surprised how many other sites have search features that use the wildcard in the same way. :)

Quote:
My actual reason for the post (I only looked in a few pages, my bad if it's been brought up previously), with reviews would it be possible to put the author name underneath the title like it used to be too. It's annoying to have to scroll to the end of a review to see who it's by. Although having it at the end is handy too in case I only want to look at the review after reading the whole thing.

I'm finding this a bit disorienting too. I believe this has already been brought up, though.

Quote:
Also, on album/review/any other level of detail pages would it be possible (or generally preferrable to the user base) to make the headings, like Band name or album name become links too. I know they're over on the right as links, but I still almost always look up or down from whatever I'm actually looking at to try and navigate back to previous pages.

I'm still doing this too. Would it be possible to make them links as well? Can keep the same formatting of course. :)

Looks pretty good to me:
http://artofalhadis.com/_temp/preview/

Code:
<h1 class="album_name"><a href="http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Erebus_Enthroned/Divine_Legions_of_Satan/179279#album_tabs_lineup">Divine Legions of Satan</a></h1>
<h2 class="band_name"><a href="http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Erebus_Enthroned/113224#band_tab_discography">Erebus Enthroned</a></h2>

h1 a:link,
h1 a:visited,
h2 a:link,
h2 a:visited{
   color: #c2b8af !important;
   text-decoration: none !important;
}
   h1 a:hover,
   h2 a:hover{
      color: #82585a !important;
   }

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 2:07 am 

I was just going to suggest making them links but keeping the fonts looking like regular headings, but that does actually look pretty damn nice haha, much better than I would have expected.

ben_wrangle
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 5:06 pm 

This new version lokks very nice, like an old library... But the first version was a little bit easier to navigate!!!

And I have a question.
On the 1st version, we could send additional data which was reviewed by the modarators, but haven't seen this option on the new version... Or I just couldn't find it. if this option still exists, where is it?

Evenfiel
Heavy Metal Hunter

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 8:45 pm 

Dexter_prog wrote:
It seems that most people making reports don't know that they can follow them up and check if the mod/user who took the assignment has asked something else. Could we have some popup or something telling the user that someone replied on his report? It seems that the only ones that know about this are the ones that check the reports.

That's already planned.

Quote:

Also planned.

Quote:
On the 1st version, we could send additional data which was reviewed by the modarators, but haven't seen this option on the new version... Or I just couldn't find it. if this option still exists, where is it?

Click on "Report an error".

Dexter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 10:14 am 

Are we now also using Wikipedia's capitalization rules for bands names? I reported a band with the word "into" not capitalized and it was corrected, but now I am seeing more bands having this (like Swallow the Sun).

Fulgurius
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 11:14 am 

Dexter_prog wrote:
Are we now also using Wikipedia's capitalization rules for bands names? I reported a band with the word "into" not capitalized and it was corrected, but now I am seeing more bands having this (like Swallow the Sun).

We've always used the same capitalization rules. Those are not just Wikipedia's rules, but common rules of capitalization of English titles, we've just put that link to Wikipedia because the description there is pretty good. The word "into" shouldn't be capitalized unless it is a part of phrasal verb.
Keep in mind that those are the rules for English titles, in most of other languages only the first word of the title should be capitalized (as well as proper nouns, of course). In German all nouns are capitalized.
Maybe it's ok to capitalize each of two or three words of band's name (like Peste Noire), but French or Russian song titles with each word capitalized look ugly.

zervyx
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 8:08 pm 

Perhaps this has already been mentioned. I noticed that, when clicking the "Read more" button, the links posted in the "Biography" section of "Artists" won't work. The links work fine in the "Read more" of "Additional notes" of "Bands", so I dont see why they dont work in this other case.

Just by example, if you click "Read More" in the Biography of artist Phil Anselmo. you'll notice that instead of an actual link it appears this: "{label 2483}".

I see this in all Artists pages, noticed it first at Varg Vikernes and Euronymous, there's plenty of links in their biographies and they wont appear in "Read more".

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 3:46 am 

Good call.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Bumgat2
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 4:28 am 

Is something wrong with label search. It returns "There really exists a label with this name: Apply this label". Clicking "apply this label" does nothing.

Before there would be the label link with the check box to add it.

Evenfiel
Heavy Metal Hunter

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 7:27 am 

Works fine here. Which label are you searching for?

Dexter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 2:07 pm 

Dexter_prog wrote:
Could the "Find Artist" box be bigger (needs more height) by default? When I search for an artist that is not found and I want to add it I always have to make it bigger to avoid having to scroll down to the "add to lineup" link.

anyone saw this? It's a real pain when editing lots of bands one after another :/

Evenfiel
Heavy Metal Hunter

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 8:56 pm 

Dexter_prog wrote:
Dexter_prog wrote:

anyone saw this? It's a real pain when editing lots of bands one after another :/

Yes, I've already requested it.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 65  Next