Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Jakko
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 6:01 am 

Another bug :/

I tried to add Eugen Dodenhoeft to Euphoreon line-up, I selected him as he's already listed and clicked on add to line-up & add this tab and he does not appear but when I searc in artist, he's listed with Euphoreon ...

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 6:49 am 

Azmodes wrote:
Quote:
Sorry if this has already been mentioned, searched but couldn't find it,
but you can't properly enter the lineup for non-MA bands on split releases. That is, they don't appear in the dropdown menu. Should this always be solved by adding it to the additional info or is it an upcoming feature?

Gah, just saw that Morrigan already addressed this in a report I commented on. Should pay more attention to those...

Evenfiel
Heavy Metal Hunter

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 7:20 am 

HellBlazer wrote:
I'm doing some color tests, I brightened the link color a bit and added a color for visited links here: http://dev.metal-archives.com/

Better or worse?

Also, the band data (genre, etc.) uses a slightly bigger font.

Looks good. I wouldn't mind the change, and it would probably be an improvement for those complaining of the small font and lack of contrast.

Quote:
I tried to add Eugen Dodenhoeft to Euphoreon line-up, I selected him as he's already listed and clicked on add to line-up & add this tab and he does not appear but when I searc in artist, he's listed with Euphoreon ...

Indeed. Reported.

Quote:
I think there is a little bug (or is it me?? I use Mozilla Firefox)

When I enter a band member (name instrument) and click on add to line-up, nothing happens, it does not appear in the list with name (as ...)

It's only when I click on "update this tab" that the members finally appear listed

I can't reproduce this. Is it still happening?

Quote:
Would it be possible to somehow mark reports which have new comments since the last login (pretty much like with topics in the forum) in the "My reports" section?

Yeah, that would be good. I've requested such a feature a while ago.

Haat888
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 7:36 am 

Evenfiel wrote:
Quote:

When I enter a band member (name instrument) and click on add to line-up, nothing happens, it does not appear in the list with name (as ...)

It's only when I click on "update this tab" that the members finally appear listed

I can't reproduce this. Is it still happening?

Yes still happening, members dont appear, only when "add this tab" is clicked, not before

Evenfiel
Heavy Metal Hunter

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 8:30 am 

Haat888 wrote:
Yes still happening, members dont appear, only when "add this tab" is clicked, not before

I don't know what to say. I can add band members without any issue with Chrome and Firefox. Anyone else has that problem?

Fulgurius
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 8:38 am 

Evenfiel wrote:
Haat888 wrote:

I don't know what to say. I can add band members without any issue with Chrome and Firefox. Anyone else has that problem?

I have this problem too.

Evenfiel
Heavy Metal Hunter

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 8:44 am 

Ok, reported.

Dexter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 9:06 am 

HellBlazer wrote:
I'm doing some color tests, I brightened the link color a bit and added a color for visited links here: http://dev.metal-archives.com/

Better or worse?

I don't know, it looks closer to the white text (not-linked text) and it kind of annoys me. Maybe you should change a bit the hue of the colors?

By the way, I still think that the status of bands should have the same color-coding as labels

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 1:18 pm 

I looked at my modification history. For some reason it says that I updated the lyrics to several songs on Agent Steel - Unstoppable Force, when all I really did was to check the instrumental box for The Day at Guyana. For the other albums in which I did the same, it seems to be correct info in my modification history.

And a suggestion. It should be possible to get to Vital Remains when typing 'Vital Remain' (the 's' missing) in the search field, when one can get to Mekong Delta by typing 'Mekong'.

SwarteHeap
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 2:10 pm 

Dexter_prog wrote:
HellBlazer wrote:

Better or worse?

I don't know, it looks closer to the white text (not-linked text) and it kind of annoys me. Maybe you should change a bit the hue of the colors?

I'd tend to agree... It's nicer that it's more bright, but it's too close to the white text. I guess it should be more saturated, instead of just lighter. I hope that doesn't make it look more pink, though...

Dembo wrote:
I looked at my modification history. For some reason it says that I updated the lyrics to several songs on Agent Steel - Unstoppable Force, when all I really did was to check the instrumental box for The Day at Guyana. For the other albums in which I did the same, it seems to be correct info in my modification history.

This was addressed a few pages ago in this thread, and I think it was reported...

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 3:31 pm 

Well, you guys suggests HTML color codes to me then. I am absolute rubbish at this. If you have improved replacements to suggest for other colors on the site too, go ahead.

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 3:40 pm 

You could, if its possible, make it optional what we're able to pick for a colour scheme? Perhaps a skins option in our profile options? I don't know how viable that would be, but that could solve a problem there? Maybe either a choice between a few preset skins, or perhaps like the YouTube option, where you can select between a few different colours for each background and border. Would either of these be feasible?

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 3:48 pm 

Where I used to work, our product manager would always come to us, the developers, and ask us, "is it feasible?" or "can you do that?". And we'd always respond: "we can do anything... how much you wanna pay?"

The meaning of pay here isn't just money (though it also is in a professional business environment), but time. Basically, we could do almost any feature, but it's a matter of cost: no money here since it's all free, but it's time and effort.

So yes, we could have multiple skins and the ability to choose it, and it's in the pipeline, but such a feature is not a trivial change, it would require significant work and it's far from being a priority at the moment, I'm afraid.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 4:38 pm 

Haat888 wrote:

Quote:

I'm going to need more info on this. Can you, or Fulgurius or helvede, or anyone to whom this is happening, describe the exact steps to reproduce? Including the bands and artists which you used for your tests, and which browser. Thanks.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

~Guest 62838
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 4:43 pm 

The search bar is non-existent on the main page. I can't look anything up. I don't know if this a glitch for Internet Explorer users or for everyone. Yesterday it was working fine though.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 6:39 pm 

That's your own fault for using IE. :P

Actually HB changed something yesterday that broke it with older IE versions, but it should be fine now (we're told by someone in the chatroom that it even works in the AOL browser!).

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 7:39 pm 

Typing in Nuclear into band search does not yield Nuclearhammer but it yields 76 other results beginning with Nuclear. Can this be changed so that it will add a band that has more letters after the word? I just wasted 30minutes submitting the band until I found it in the archives. I'm pretty sure this problem did not arise with bands prior to V2.

Evenfiel
Heavy Metal Hunter

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 7:53 pm 

AcidWorm wrote:
Typing in Nuclear into band search does not yield Nuclearhammer but it yields 76 other results beginning with Nuclear. Can this be changed so that it will add a band that has more letters after the word? I just wasted 30minutes submitting the band until I found it in the archives. I'm pretty sure this problem did not arise with bands prior to V2.

You need to search for nuclear*

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 7:54 pm 

AcidWorm wrote:
Are you kidding me? The new search feature is documented extensively, and it's your own fault for not, you know, typing the actual BAND NAME you meant to search for... :durr:

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 8:26 pm 

I thought the band name was two words as I have seen it written both ways. I was also familiar with the old format for 6 years and I would often not type the whole of a band name because it was long winded or I didn't know the spelling off by heart. Just read the advanced search which I hadn't really checked out before and now I know to use the *. It takes time getting used to something after being so used to something else. Thanks for clearing it up, and hopefully I won't get confused again.

Last edited by AcidWorm on Sun May 01, 2011 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Evenfiel
Heavy Metal Hunter

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 8:31 pm 

Azmodes and others, please clean the legacy lineup of a band after you deal with a report about a lineup change. If you don't do so, that change might be reverted in the future.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 3:01 am 

Seems like the indexing engine has lock issues again. So it's possible that the data you add at the moment, will not be found through the search. This is temporary, and they will be indexed correctly eventually, so don't worry. Right now I'm investigating to see what is causing those locks in the first place...

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Haat888
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 3:24 am 

Morrigan wrote:
Haat888 wrote:

Quote:

I'm going to need more info on this. Can you, or Fulgurius or helvede, or anyone to whom this is happening, describe the exact steps to reproduce? Including the bands and artists which you used for your tests, and which browser. Thanks.

So I'm using Mozilla Firefox

I use any bands or artists

Now I just tried with Hammathaz (brazil)

When you want to enter members you have 1st "add an artist" with

"Nothing entered yet. Please add the artists, if applicable.

Add another artist "

So I click on this, use the search with artist name which shows results (either other bands or nothing) so I fill-in everything (instruments, dates etc) then click on ADD TO LINE-UP

Normally it should add the member then you click on "add another artist" to have the full line-up etc (before at the end clicking on update this tab)

Here, nothing, just a little "loading" at the top and when it disappears I discovered it means the artist is "added" (hidden though)

and its ONLY when you finally click on "update this tab" then click on the band name on the top right (Hammataz - members) than you finally see the line-up appearing :s

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 4:16 am 

Dammit, this is so weird... for a while I had reproduced the error in Firefox, but I didn't do anything and now I can't reproduce it anymore... :brick: also, the few times it did happen, there was no javascript error or anything, so this is really hard to debug...

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Fulgurius
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 4:39 am 

Morrigan wrote:
Dammit, this is so weird... for a while I had reproduced the error in Firefox, but I didn't do anything and now I can't reproduce it anymore... :brick: also, the few times it did happen, there was no javascript error or anything, so this is really hard to debug...

At the moment it works fine for me, though yesterday it was like Haat888 described, but when I clicked "add to line-up" the window wasn't closed, I had to close it and click "update this tab" to see that the artist was added to the line-up.

Haat888
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 5:12 am 

It works again for me as well, the only little problem left for the moment is the member "index" (if a member is in different bands, it takes time to see him appearing in the search when its a newly added member)

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 6:23 am 

Evenfiel wrote:
Azmodes and others, please clean the legacy lineup of a band after you deal with a report about a lineup change. If you don't do so, that change might be reverted in the future.

Will do.

Haat888
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 1:19 pm 

The artist index seems to work fine now but some members I added earlier today are not appearing yet, hope the info was saved though ;)

Zorg85
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 4:45 pm 

Seems the artist index is "down" again, members I added 2 hours ago are not appearing & I can't link them to other bands :'(

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 5:39 pm 

Yeah... the locks seem more common now. :brick: Not sure why either, I'm no Solr expert. HB will look at it tonight, but in the meantime all I can do is periodically restart the engine and re-index every time. :|

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Mad_Butcher_666
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 11:16 pm 

Greetings from Colombia, South America!

I can see that many weeks have passed since this forum opened, but I just couldn't miss the chance to express myself and to tell, on behalf of my countrymen metalheads, that this new version is really, really awful, especially for those who don’t have great English skills, too many links, too many tabs, you have to click at least 3 o 4 times to watch the entire information about an album, while in the V1, one click showed you everything you wanted to know. The fonts and the background make you dizzy and the presentation of the page itself looks boring and everything seems harder to find now.

I also agree with those who claim that information for both bands and albums is incomplete now.

Alhadis
Madder Max

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 12:45 am 

What's Solr? >_>;

ThanatosUK
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 12:59 am 

It seems that every so often I have to change my timezone back to UTC on the forum. At first I thought it was just each time I visit (I have autologin enabled) but it seems to occur even when I'm browsing. A bug or am I just doing something stupid? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 2:30 am 

Alhadis wrote:
What's Solr? >_>;

Our indexing engine, based on Lucene. http://lucene.apache.org/solr/

ThanatosUK wrote:
It seems that every so often I have to change my timezone back to UTC on the forum. At first I thought it was just each time I visit (I have autologin enabled) but it seems to occur even when I'm browsing. A bug or am I just doing something stupid? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Wrong thread.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 6:06 am 

I just came across something concerning the cleaning of legacy lineups. Poseidons Anger's past member Matthew Knight is actually a session vocalist on the latest album. Thing is, I can't clear the past members field unless I first transfer something into it. So I had to enter him regardless, clean the legacy and then delete his role there again. Just letting you know. Also, I don't want to seem like a point whore. ;)

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 10:09 am 

There's a bug that makes the "read more" button appear (and the "...") in the additional notes even when the text is short enough and everything's already displayed. I checked it, there are no empty paragraphs.

http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Nordlys/72655
http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Pest/123297

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 10:10 am 

When a blacklisted band name is entered on this page: http://www.metal-archives.com/band/add
This warning pops up:

Warning: a band called ___ has been blacklisted! Your submission will not go through, unless your band comes from a different country; select the country in the drop-down to verify.
If you think this is an error, please ask in this forum thread. Thank you.

It references the old "why was this band rejected" thread here: viewtopic.php?t=39064
While the current one is here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=64985

oneyoudontknow
Cum insantientibus furere necesse est.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 10:34 am 

http://www.metal-archives.com/labels/Wa ... _tabs_past
Quote:
In Cunt Brutal Death Metal Portugal 0

The label re-released it, but in the label's entry it appears as '0'. The additional notes of the release clears matters up, though. Should the label appear in the label field or should it stay this way until there are multiple versions of the album possible?

My website which contains reviews as well as interviews:
https://adsol.oneyoudontknow.com
My podcast:
https://adsolmag.bandcamp.com/

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 12:24 pm 

A suggestion: When adding a new artist, could the default value of the gender be set to "male"? In general, only a fracture of members are women and with the "male" standard the process can be made a bit more efficient. Now you have to make a mouse click for both genders, with this method you'd only have to do it for a small percentage. Maybe that sounds lazy and trivial, but I've been inputing many lineups and it adds up. ;)

false_icon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 12:35 pm 

A question about live members: when a live member is featured in the lineup of a live album, should he be instead a band member ?

I'm asking this because live members are not featured in the actual/past members lists when adding artists to a release.
To separate art from entertainment doesn't make sense anymore.

my trade list

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 65  Next